• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbies in Moderation

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why not let the first post go thru and then if need be to place them on moderation until there is level of behaviour change.

I actually couldn't care less about genuine humans with behavioral issues. This forum is already full of them so what harm would adding a few more do?

What I'm trying to keep out is this!!!!

Just a sample of what's in the moderation queue this morning......
Welcome to Wholesale jerseys

Welcome to Wholesale jerseys. We wholesale all kind of jerseys, include wholesale nfl jerseys, MLB jerseys, NBA jerseys and wholesale cheap jerseys. Do not be hesitate get your cheap NFL jerseys at wholesale price at our site. Any question and suggestion will be great welcome! Wholesale football jerseys, NFL jerseys for sale, nhl jerseys will be our speciality business.

x 6 copies... one in each sub forum.

New official nfl jerseys

Buy new official nfl jerseys from the official online shop of the NFL. Whether you are seeking Discount nfl jerseys, Wholesale nfl jerseys, or popular Cheap jerseys, NFLShop.com has them in all sizes and colors. Kick off the 2010 football season with our top selling Reebok and Mitchell & Ness nfl jerseys, or our exclusive Wholesale mlb jerseys, or Buy cheap jerseys.

x6 copies... one in each sub forum

Earn some pocket money - Car Survey - $30 to $70

For the unintiated, this is market research where you are paid for
your opinion if you are selected. It can be in the form of an indepth
survey, where you are being surveryed on a 1-to-1 basis, or a focus
group type, where a group of 8-10, together with a facilitator will
discuss a topic. Upon the completion of the survey/focus group,
participants will receive the incentives immediately.

After you submit your details, you will still be required to undergo a
telephone screening to check for suitability. This is for market
research integrity. Otherwise, anyone can try to "fake" their
eligibility in order to qualify.

Please see criteria below for this project:
1. Must have bought a BRAND New Car (No second hand) for the past 4
years (since 2008)
2. Must be the main driver of the car
3. Singaporean or PR only

Mode of Survey: Indepth Survey
Note: None
Topic: General car use
Incentives: $30 to $70 (depending on your model of car)
Venue: Central
Date: 17th Dec to 21st Dec (By appointment)
Time: By appointment
Duration: 20 to 30 mins

Interested, please reply to [email protected] with
1. Name
2. NRIC
3. Contact Number
4. Gender
5. Singaporean/PR
6. Model of Car (eg Audi A1, Honda Civic, Mazda 2 etc)
7. Year Bought

x2 copies

If it wasn't for the system of moderation, the forum would be littered with this rubbish and it's very hard to clean up once it's been posted.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any chance to get the mods to help clear non-spam posts faster. Spambots by their very nature won't bother to manually create a post that is relevant to a thread discussion.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Any chance to get the mods to help clear non-spam posts faster. Spambots by their very nature won't bother to manually create a post that is relevant to a thread discussion.

It's only me. Nobody else wants to do this job.

I need my 8 hours sleep. It then takes me a couple of hours to wake up, have breakfast, take the dog for a walk and have a shower before I sit down in front of this screen and start scanning through the crap in the moderation queue that has accumulated over the last 10 to 12 hours.

That's exactly what I'm doing now.

SibeiKing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's only me. Nobody else wants to do this job.

I need my 8 hours sleep. It then takes me a couple of hours to wake up, have breakfast, take the dog for a walk and have a shower before I sit down in front of this screen and start scanning through the crap in the moderation queue that has accumulated over the last 10 to 12 hours.

That's exactly what I'm doing now.

you got 4-5 mods and at least 10 pple with infraction power. These community appointed groupies have the interest of the forum to shoot down GENUINE spambots faster then you, 1 alone. Gawd sake. and get some zz. i nit mine now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a valid point. I am sure all of them without exception can spot a spambot straightaway.
you got 4-5 mods and at least 10 pple with infraction power. These community appointed groupies have the interest of the forum to shoot down GENUINE spambots faster then you, 1 alone. Gawd sake. and get some zz. i nit mine now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Appreciate what you are doing but I am sure the mods and those high points have no time for spambots and will help. sibeiking does have a point.
It's only me. Nobody else wants to do this job.I need my 8 hours sleep. It then takes me a couple of hours to wake up, have breakfast, take the dog for a walk and have a shower before I sit down in front of this screen and start scanning through the crap in the moderation queue that has accumulated over the last 10 to 12 hours.That's exactly what I'm doing now.

SibeiKing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a valid point. I am sure all of them without exception can spot a spambot straightaway.

those who can throw in that 4-d winning post are those who can't and will not be hanging around to get into the discussion. Sure they will check in once in a while but hold them long and you lose them. Most like me are just bored waitin to swing 1000 times to get home run. gold or Silver. mod decideds. I just tot i throw in some imos.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

The mods don't have access to the control panel and they can only remove posts in the the moderated section plus 4 out of the 5 mods have never done anything much anyway. It's not a paid job and there are no performance reviews so why would they bother.

Administrator powers are required in order to access the moderation queue [where the moderated messages are held pending approval] within the control panel.

Giving infractions to spam bots isn't going to do a thing to stop them. Spam bots register and spam the forum automatically and never come back again with the same account. Each account is a one off registration followed by a spam orgy. The process is always repeated with a new account.

Newbies shouldn't take the delay personally. I don't even bother to read the content of the genuine posts, I just tick "approved" if it doesn't look like spam. If I started reading and making editorial decisions regarding the non spam content in the queue, the process would take me 1 hour instead of 10 minutes.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Appreciate what you are doing but I am sure the mods and those high points have no time for spambots and will help. sibeiking does have a point.

Well here's a typical example. The account posted one post and was never seen again.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthr...r-League-Season-2011-2012&p=884166#post884166

Someone zapped 2 points so the account stays in moderation because the rep is now less than 10 but the message has sat there forever. No mod told me about it. Nobody with infraction powers even noticed it. The account is used ONCE and that's it. Infractions, banning etc mean nothing.

Imagine the forum littered with this sort of stuff.... 100 to 200 posts every single day all harvesting the traffic that this site generates for free while the members here have to put up with 5 or more spam posts in every single thread.

That's what happens to forums where there is no control.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The moderation delay for new accounts has been around since Delphi days.

Delphi used not to have this feature and those who have been in the forum from the beginning will remember the days where those out to destroy the forum would posts 100s of messages with nothing more than a "." in the post and this was to resurrect threads that were years old so that the new threads were buried underneath a pile of old discussions.

Try as we may, there was no way that the mods (there were a handful at the time) could clear the crap fast enough. The forum was a mess and I spent more than 3 hours a day searching through the threads to clean things up.

When Delphi finally introduced the system of implementing temporary moderation for new accounts, this problem was solved pretty much overnight. This method continued when I moved to vbulletin.

I have looked at various alternatives over the years to save myself the chore of having to clear the queue three times a day. If I could find one that works, I can assure you I'd be the first to implement it to save myself the bother of doing it manually. I'm lazy by nature and any labour saving device or script is a "must have" in my books.

So far, I've found nothing better. Even the experts at vbulletin.org agree that this method is the most effective.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Screwball since you talk so much shit why not you help sam to clear it. oh wait if that were to occur you would be given mod status. Sam should just give him the job of sifting thru the newbie posts since this bugger started this thread.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
One of the things I'm often asked is what are the conditions for moderation to be lifted.. is it 5 posts? 10 posts? 24 hours? 48 hours?

The only reason why I don't disclose the formula is simply because it is very easy to program a spam bot to bypass the controls once the formula is revealed.

If I say "5 posts", then a spam bot can be programmed to simply post 5 innocent looking messages eg "That was interesting, thanks for the info" or "well said bro!" before it unleashes the spam messages.

If I say 48 hours, then the same thing applies. Accounts can simply be allowed to "mature" before the spamming is activated.

The actual formula is a combination of a few parameters that I change on a regular basis.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to clarify this. Speaking for myself, I do not have mod powers except in the Mod Folder. So this point is moot.
Ehh CB Kia Windsor, you banned me for my post in Open Section, so...

FUCK YOU!!!!! OK??!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dun talk lanjiao words and act like a gentleman :oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Screwball since you talk so much shit why not you help sam to clear it. oh wait if that were to occur you would be given mod status. Sam should just give him the job of sifting thru the newbie posts since this bugger started this thread.
He used to be a mod, but since given up, but after that, he is jealous samsters whose points and power are higher than him, especially me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the things I'm often asked is what are the conditions for moderation to be lifted.. is it 5 posts? 10 posts? 24 hours? 48 hours?

The only reason why I don't disclose the formula is simply because it is very easy to program a spam bot to bypass the controls once the formula is revealed.

If I say "5 posts", then a spam bot can be programmed to simply post 5 innocent looking messages eg "That was interesting, thanks for the info" or "well said bro!" before it unleashes the spam messages.

If I say 48 hours, then the same thing applies. Accounts can simply be allowed to "mature" before the spamming is activated.

The actual formula is a combination of a few parameters that I change on a regular basis.

follow u since delphi time. appreciate what u been doing for the forum all these yrs! :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think we should just let Leongsam handle and settle it. Nobody here has that kind and depth of experience. Now, don't go accusing me of being Paul Lampard, I'm just speaking my mind. In fact Leongsam had infracted me before. A good reason was given and I accepted it.

Allowing too much moderating and infracting powers may be counterproductive. There's the longstanding weakness of longstanding forummers getting personal and abusing powers exactly because they're longstanding and it's not possible to have all friends here, there'd be a camp of enemies too.

Leongsam is longstanding forum host, haughty but neutral to all. Spammers and trollers refrain crossing swords too much with the hosting authority, except a few barks now and then for a show of bravado and back off. Therefore, Leongsam is still the one who could and should do the job.