• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
The equivalent of KLCC in KL shd be e CIQ in Johor.

Such condos n G&G landed prices in Johor will continue to enjoy a bull run next year.

Not exactly, except for Singaporeans. Locals dont need to live near the CIQ and that is not considered a desirable area. Locals dont live in KLCC either but at there's more buzz there in terms of biz and shopping.CIQ is just abt crossing over. It should appeal to daily commuters. But even then SPR and Singaporeans are likely to have different tastes and priorities. I think most SPR would prefer to sacrifice the 'convenience' and buy a landed further up rather than pay abv 1K psf for a small condo. Singaporeans may choose the convenient option.What do other SPR say?

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
OOT: Anyone thinks that DUO residences is quite a good buy for the small units? Agent told me that everything is sold out, only left 3 bedders and above.

I heard 16% of the units were bought by Malaysians. Rental should be decent, compared to many other recent local launches I think its not bad.But I think its really hard to find a GOOD buy now because of where the market is.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not exactly, except for Singaporeans. Locals dont need to live near the CIQ and that is not considered a desirable area. Locals dont live in KLCC either but at there's more buzz there in terms of biz and shopping.CIQ is just abt crossing over. It should appeal to daily commuters. But even then SPR and Singaporeans are likely to have different tastes and priorities. I think most SPR would prefer to sacrifice the 'convenience' and buy a landed further up rather than pay abv 1K psf for a small condo. Singaporeans may choose the convenient option.What do other SPR say?

Not near CIQ is mostly Tebrau :biggrin:

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not near CIQ is mostly Tebrau :biggrin:

Thre are many other locations in JB apart fom Tebrau though Tebrau is also ok if its in the non flooding area. For more atas areas locals may prefer Jalan Straits View,Kebun Teh, Meldrum, Abd Samad. In fact to locals the last 2 would be more 'central' than CIQ which is busy with those heading to JB or Singaporeans. The bad hats tend to hang around areas where there are Singaporean tourists too liek City Sq. Which is why locals dont feel safe in Century Gdns, Pelangi area.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thre are many other locations in JB apart fom Tebrau though Tebrau is also ok if its in the non flooding area. For more atas areas locals may prefer Jalan Straits View,Kebun Teh, Meldrum, Abd Samad. In fact to locals the last 2 would be more 'central' than CIQ which is busy with those heading to JB or Singaporeans. The bad hats tend to hang around areas where there are Singaporean tourists too liek City Sq. Which is why locals dont feel safe in Century Gdns, Pelangi area.

Just stretching my imagination. Only if the crime at JB is cleaned up. Hopefully with new budget, there can be more enforcement and longer jail term for the criminals.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

i'm SPR. purely from my own perspective only!.. i see no reason to buy so close to CIQ. if it's jam like hell, it doesn't make a diff if i'm 1km or 15 km away. and i share your opinion on border crossings. if one looks at border crossings in other cities in the world, one would notice a tendency for unsavoury elements to be near border crossings, train and bus terminals. i'm thinking gare du nord in paris, the greyhound bus termina in nyc (is tht on 42nd st?). in KL, puduraya bus terminal isn't such a great area.. and so on. there are many examples.

Last edited:

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'm SPR. purely from my own perspective only!.. i see no reason to buy so close to CIQ. if it's jam like hell, it doesn't make a diff if i'm 1km or 15 km away. and i share your opinion on border crossings. if one looks at border crossings in other cities in the world, one would notice a tendency for unsavoury elements to be near border crossings, train and bus terminals. i'm thinking gare du nord in paris, the greyhound bus termina in nyc (is tht on 42nd st?). in KL, puduraya bus terminal isn't such a great area.. and so on. there are many examples.

mmm, don't u think its much faster to reach if its 1km away compared to 15km ? if its walking distance it will be much better cos can avoid all the jam .

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
mmm, don't u think its much faster to reach if its 1km away compared to 15km ? if its walking distance it will be much better cos can avoid all the jam .
well.. you can say that. if someone is not driving, then he/she can just walk over to CIQ and hop on to the bus to get over to singapore. you're right about that. i'm talking from my own POV, that is, driving a car in. if 1km or 15 km no diff since the bottleneck is at the crossing.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Putrajaya mulls highway takeover, toll collection for Johor’s EDL
By Ida Lim November 24, 2013

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 24 — Putrajaya may consider ditching its initial plans to acquire the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) in Johor for a reported sum of RM1.2 billion and let the highway’s current owner start collecting toll instead, The Edge financial news weekly reported.

The possibility of letting Malaysian Resources Corp Bhd (MRCB) collect toll for use of the EDL comes as the government seeks to cut subsidies, with Putrajaya having recently slashed fuel and sugar subsidies to save more money.

“In the case of EDL, an option being explored is to allow the owner MRCB to collect toll [instead of the government taking over the highway]. There could be an element of compensation to reduce the toll rates,” an unnamed source was quoted saying by The Edge.

Motorists have been using the expressway in Johor Baru without paying toll since last year, with the government compensating MRCB for its losses after it was stopped from collecting toll.

The government reportedly pays a monthly compensation of RM11 million to MRCB, with the payment to the infrastructure developer to continue until a full settlement for the takeover of the 8.1km-long EDL.

MRCB’s 2012 annual report showed that it was given RM68.28 million last year as compensation over the EDL highway which was opened for use last April, with the payments by the government to the highway concessionaire starting from last May, the weekly reported in its latest edition.

The takeover deal between Putrajaya and MRCB was expected to be done in one years’ time from September 10, 2012, the group had said in the annual report last year.

But MRCB group chief executive officer Imran Datuk Salim said the negotiations with Putrajaya and other parties over the EDL have yet to conclude.

“It will take some time to iron out the details on the best way forward for the EDL in order to realise the benefits for all parties involved, especially the motorists in Johor Baru,” Imran was quoted saying.

Last September, the government had reportedly given its assurance that no tolls will be collected after it takes over the EDL.

According to The Edge, Putrajaya is also reviewing other highways where it had stopped the increase of toll rates and needed to pay compensation to highway operators.

In 2013, the government would be paying a total of RM587 million to compensate for tolls, The Edge reported, citing the country’s Economic Report that was released recently.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...ollection-for-johors-edl#sthash.hkEaBdyz.dpuf

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Expect tolls at highways to go up as government cuts back on subsidies. More subsidy cuts on the way.

2014 - The year of inflation for Johor.

Photogguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
well.. you can say that. if someone is not driving, then he/she can just walk over to CIQ and hop on to the bus to get over to singapore. you're right about that. i'm talking from my own POV, that is, driving a car in. if 1km or 15 km no diff since the bottleneck is at the crossing.

...the question is how long more can a typical SPR or Singaporean living in JB continue to afford a car.....

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
That era of cheap transportation even in Malaysia might be ending soon.
With GST coming that too will contribute to the inflation.

The comment about transportation between countries in light of the higher COE will bea serious deterrent for those thinking of commuting.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
That era of cheap transportation even in Malaysia might be ending soon.
With GST coming that too will contribute to the inflation.

The comment about transportation between countries in light of the higher COE will bea serious deterrent for those thinking of commuting.

Except for GST, prices may well still come down...

Why do I say that?

Influential former finance minister Daim recently called on govt to abolish the AP policy. This would translate into cheaper cars -- http://www.nst.com.my/latest/daim-calls-for-abolishing-open-approved-permits-for-cars-1.406562

I believe this is also political. The opposition PR had campaigned quite convincingly in the last GE that the govt policy on cars has allowed car prices to inflate too high. I believe that the BN govt may respond to tweak the automobile policy to counter this (the policy is currently under review). Alternatively, if PR comes to power in 5 years time (which is not far-fetched given the way the BN govt is running the show), you can bet on pricing for cars coming down quite a bit.