• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nearly got hit by car today - What kind of legal recourse can I take?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Must be damn stupid TPIO to sit on it for months. No accident, no injury, no vehicle identification is NOD straightaway! :cool:

I think beating red lights is already an offence. Even with the info given, I opine it is traceable. It is how far TP wants to go, that's all.

Assuming the complaint came from an important chap, can't be traced? Trust me, it can be done.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think beating red lights is already an offence. Even with the info given, I opine it is traceable. It is how far TP wants to go, that's all.

Assuming the complaint came from an important chap, can't be traced? Trust me, it can be done.

TP SOP. If a complainant comes without injury or even with injury not resulting from direct collision, e.g. fell and hurt himself whilst evading a vehicle beating red light, NOD, it's just a groundless allegation with neither injury suffered nor accused to level at. If the complainant provides positive number plate, he can lodge the summon himself, not TP. TP only provides the form. If there's injury resulting from a collision (death no need to say), it then can be classified hit and run. If the traffic light junction has a camera that caught the red light beater, it's a TP case independent of any complainant.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
TP SOP. If a complainant comes without injury or even with injury not resulting from direct collision, e.g. fell and hurt himself whilst evading a vehicle beating red light, NOD, it's just a groundless allegation with neither injury suffered nor accused to level at. If the complainant provides positive number plate, he can lodge the summon himself, not TP. TP only provides the form. If there's injury resulting from a collision (death no need to say), it then can be classified hit and run. If the traffic light junction has a camera that caught the red light beater, it's a TP case independent of any complainant.

Thai embassy should have camera right? If not the bus also have camera to catch cars who drive in bus lane?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thai embassy should have camera right? If not the bus also have camera to catch cars who drive in bus lane?

Thai embassy CCTV is for their own use, not TP or any Singapore government department. I think this is getting absurd. Replay all the bus cameras plying along Orchard Road for an alleged case where there's no injury? At most a few hundred dollars fine and 6 points. If the police do that, there'd be cries of waste of public funds! Go catch criminals!

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai embassy CCTV is for their own use, not TP or any Singapore government department. I think this is getting absurd. Replay all the bus cameras plying along Orchard Road for an alleged case where there's no injury? At most a few hundred dollars fine and 6 points. If the police do that, there'd be cries of waste of public funds! Go catch criminals!

He has the date, time and venue. Just check which bus was there at the date, time venue. No need to check 500 buses. Maybe 3 at maximum.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has the date, time and venue. Just check which bus was there at the date, time venue. No need to check 500 buses. Maybe 3 at maximum.

Bus cameras are low shots. It doesn't reflect the traffic lights.

Whatever it is, I understand, the general sentiment here is that police must go all out when someone fell down on the road, CCTVs and bus cameras total replay, full ROV registration matching etc. Good. Go for it!

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bus cameras are low shots. It doesn't reflect the traffic lights.

Whatever it is, I understand, the general sentiment here is that police must go all out when someone fell down on the road, CCTVs and bus cameras total replay, full ROV registration matching etc. Good. Go for it!

It has a clock. LTA can trace the clock to the traffic light signal.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It has a clock. LTA can trace the clock to the traffic light signal.

Sure. Complain to LTA and TP.

I've explained earlier. There must be a case to begin with. No police saw the incident. Therefore, the complainant must lodge the summon. Yes, civilians can lodge traffic summons too. Then there's a case.

You can't just go to police station and say a vehicle almost knocked you down, please get out all your LTA and TP videos and check, can you? If you're lying on the road dead or half dead, they'd do it for you without asking. So next time, make sure the vehicle hits you good. Saves you all the trouble complaining. Automatic service.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having first-hand experience of the work ethics of Singapore Police Force, i can say for sure, your case will have no follow-ups.

Happened to my aunt before, someone called her up and tried to call a bluff saying that her son was kidnapped. She immediately called her son to make sure he was safe and later when the scammer called back to give her bank details, she reported everything to the police. HP number and bank account number etc...

The police just asked "Were you duped?" my aunt said "No". The reply from the police was, since no one was cheated, just be careful next time and said "Bye, Bye"...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having first-hand experience of the work ethics of Singapore Police Force, i can say for sure, your case will have no follow-ups.

Happened to my aunt before, someone called her up and tried to call a bluff saying that her son was kidnapped. She immediately called her son to make sure he was safe and later when the scammer called back to give her bank details, she reported everything to the police. HP number and bank account number etc...

The police just asked "Were you duped?" my aunt said "No". The reply from the police was, since no one was cheated, just be careful next time and said "Bye, Bye"...

It's logical, isn't it? No one was duped. No offence.

At law, there're such offences as attempted murder, attempted housebreaking, attempted kidnapping etc. But there's no such offence as attempted bluffing. Even if the bluff is pulled off, he kidnapped nobody and you paid him, it's your problem. There's neither criminal law nor cure for stupidity. Even if you hire a lawyer for civil litigation, he can just deny it.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem isn't on whether there is video footage of the incident. The crux of the question is what is the actual car plate number? What is the actual colour and make/model of the car? Anyone injured in the incident?

If the answer is don't know, not sure, no one, how to nail the culprit?

I think its black, I think its grey, I think its this this this, that that. If we are talking about legal recourse, try bringing all these to court and even the judge would shake his head and face palm.

If the thai embassy has a cctv, have to go thru proper channel, write in to them to retrieve video footage for an offence which is like running through the red light. Anyone injured? Nil. You know what the thai embassy will say? No one injured, need video footage, what is LTA doing? Why so troublesome? Why don't install cctv at every red light?

Ok, if lend you the cctv video. Play the video, Bus blocking car or Play the video, see nothing of this incident, then how, return the video, close the case and how to explain to the thai embassy where borrow the video? Tell them nothing, does anyone think how many man hours/email/correspondence are used/needed by the Police?

Let you catch the culprit after lengthy investigation. 2 offences. Cheong Red light, dangerous driving. fine, demerit point, he will still be driving on the roads. Imagine all the processes being made, because of insufficient details, the number of man hours/work done just to nail 2 offences. I really peifu Singapore Police if they really do all this work.:o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let you catch the culprit after lengthy investigation. 2 offences. Cheong Red light, dangerous driving. fine, demerit point, he will still be driving on the roads. Imagine all the processes being made, because of insufficient details, the number of man hours/work done just to nail 2 offences. I really peifu Singapore Police if they really do all this work.:o

I'd be really worried if my younger brother and sister officers do this type of things. Points to you. :smile:

KennyMGM

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had guessed that would be the reply. I had a friend beside me when it happened. Does 2 witnesses count? Or is it still of no use, since nobody was injured?

Do make a complaint to the police / LTA

I m sure they have means to do something, to call in the driver for
some questioning. That way he will be more careful in future.

You may save innocent lives by making a reckless driver more considerate
in the duture.

Doing nothing about such things is only postponing an avoidable tragedy.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
wa lau, almost every singapore car starts with S?? and you cannot remember what colour. brown maroon black grey.

This kind of details ask police go and find, how many drivers should they haul up to investigate with no evidence. Even if they can line up those cars with 5913, can you be able to determine which car, colour, make, model?

It was simply a dark color (definitely not white/green/yellow/orange/pink), and quite a low-riding car, because when it zipped past us at the traffic crossing, I remember the roof of the car was lower than my eye-level.

Also, I distinctly remember that the left side of the rear license plate had one of those funny logos, like those plates with the EU logo.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, that first case is a done deal, I'm pretty sure (deep in my heart).

I just hope this recent case will have some findings, since I did catch the full plate:

- Registration number of vehicle: SJE365C
- Color of car: White
- Make of car: Sedan
- Other details: Off-Peak Car (Red plates)

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had near-miss incident , was in the middle of a zebra crossing that spanned a 4-lane road when this car sped past me just inches away.
I lodged police report with all the details.

I must admit with regret that I once was in the situation like that, as a driver:( _ police report was lodged by the pedestrian as I received a letter from traffic police a few days later
" Dear Dog sir, we are so very very sorry that some guy had lodged a report against the manner of your driving which nearly caused him to go see his maker but because of your clean record, being good citizen, paying tax on time etc for the past 65 years we decided to let you go free this time _ "

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
" Dear Dog sir, we are so very very sorry that some guy had lodged a report against the manner of your driving which nearly caused him to go see his maker but because of your clean record, being good citizen, paying tax on time etc for the past 65 years we decided to let you go free this time _ "

oiii....uncle botak, can show the letter or not....

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, that first case is a done deal, I'm pretty sure (deep in my heart).

I just hope this recent case will have some findings, since I did catch the full plate:

- Registration number of vehicle: SJE365C
- Color of car: White
- Make of car: Sedan
- Other details: Off-Peak Car (Red plates)

Since, you have all the details, the Police will send a summon to him, probably charging him inconsiderate driving or driving in a dangerous manner without the safety to pedestrians. When he receive the letter, If he is guilty conscious , probably pay up the fine, if not he disputes,and you will be in court with him. That also go for those who smoke while drving and throw away your cigarette butt out of a car window. Any body can file a complain to NEA with your details of your car.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think i recall a similar incident that was shown on crime watch or reported on some show about how one woman managed to get the criminal arrested by doing what your aunt did. It's surprising that the police didn't care in this case.