• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nearly got hit by car today - What kind of legal recourse can I take?

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went out earlier this evening, and when I was walking in a carpark alongside the parking lots, a car zipped past me at a high speed (at least 40km/h), narrowly missing me (again!).

A young couple in front was walking their dog and crossing the road. The car narrowly missed the dog. The owner of the dog was damned pissed and stood there staring at the car.

Now, the driver knew that he had nearly run over the couple and their dog, and he stopped his car a short distance down the road and got out. He gestured wildly and starting shouting at the couple, taunting them and asking them what they wanted from him.

The couple with the dog just stood there and did nothing. The driver then got back in his car and sped off (again at a speed of at least 30-40km/h).

The roads in Singapore are no longer safe. It really is time to go vigilante.

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still can't get over it? This is not healthy. There are a lot more injustice in this world and i don't believe this belongs to the top 50%.

There are a lot more things that need your young energy, channel them towards that direction. Be positive. Just be a bit more careful outside.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went out earlier this evening, and when I was walking in a carpark alongside the parking lots, a car zipped past me at a high speed (at least 40km/h), narrowly missing me (again!).

A young couple in front was walking their dog and crossing the road. The car narrowly missed the dog. The owner of the dog was damned pissed and stood there staring at the car.

A carpark is neither a park nor anyone's grandfather's road for strolling or walking their dogs. It's for cars to enter and park. Even stray cats know the propriety and dart off as cars approach. Only deluded stompers and pampered pets think it's their grandfather's park or road. I agree with an earlier posting. Either the driver relax, slow down and laugh it off, or come down for a fistful of showdown to settle it once and for all.

Otherwise, take down the number and lodge a report at a police station. See what the police can do for you. Then lodge a complaint to MHA if the police says there's nothing that could be done for you. Then lodge a complaint PMO if MHA says there's nothing that that could be done for you. Then lodge a complaint to UN if PMO says there's nothing that could be done for you. After UN says there's nothing that could be done for you, you'll probably start seeing UFOs.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
A carpark is neither a park nor anyone's grandfather's road for strolling or walking their dogs. It's for cars to enter and park. Even stray cats know the propriety and dart off as cars approach. Only deluded stompers and pampered pets think it's their grandfather's park or road. I agree with an earlier posting. Either the driver relax, slow down and laugh it off, or come down for a fistful of showdown to settle it once and for all.

Otherwise, take down the number and lodge a report at a police station. See what the police can do for you. Then lodge a complaint to MHA if the police says there's nothing that could be done for you. Then lodge a complaint PMO if MHA says there's nothing that that could be done for you. Then lodge a complaint to UN if PMO says there's nothing that could be done for you. After UN says there's nothing that could be done for you, you'll probably start seeing UFOs.

Naturally, I understand that fact very clearly. The carpark is no place to stroll. In any case, the couple with the dog I witnessed weren't really walking their dog there (more of trying to get from one place to another, and crossing the road at the carpark).

So, rather than do something lame like STOMP it, or start whining about the situation, I fully understand where the boundaries of my rights lie, and when I can/should complain, and when I am just being a royal ass by demanding for my rights (when they don't exist for me).

I'm just wondering how someone can be driving in such an aggressive manner, nearly running someone (or a dog over), and still have the audacity to get out of the car and taunt others.

Is it that I have been sleeping it off for the last 5-6 years, or has something changed here in Singapore?

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still can't get over it? This is not healthy. There are a lot more injustice in this world and i don't believe this belongs to the top 50%.

There are a lot more things that need your young energy, channel them towards that direction. Be positive. Just be a bit more careful outside.

If you are referring to the first incident, I have already long gotten over it.

But with near-death incidents happening to me nearly every other week (I have described 3 in this thread), I just don't find it funny anymore. Or something that I think I can shrug off and thank the stars I wasn't hurt.

I don't drive, and I get around a lot on foot. Perhaps that is part of the reason why I am encountering such a high number of incidents (plenty other incidents though which I have forgotten) within such a short span of time.

Or maybe like they say, "If you can't beat them, join them".

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are referring to the first incident, I have already long gotten over it.

But with near-death incidents happening to me nearly every other week (I have described 3 in this thread), I just don't find it funny anymore. Or something that I think I can shrug off and thank the stars I wasn't hurt.

I don't drive, and I get around a lot on foot. Perhaps that is part of the reason why I am encountering such a high number of incidents (plenty other incidents though which I have forgotten) within such a short span of time.

Or maybe like they say, "If you can't beat them, join them".

How come you always have cars zipping dangerously past you so frequently. Are you a car magnet? :o

If you are crossing the road, regardless of whether its green pedestrian light for you to cross, make sure the car stops then you cross the road. I always do that. Because I know though I have the right of way when its green, if the driver chiewcheng, he will just go to court, while I will go to heaven. :p

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
(abbreviated.../-)

I'm just wondering how someone can be driving in such an aggressive manner, nearly running someone (or a dog over), and still have the audacity to get out of the car and taunt others.

Is it that I have been sleeping it off for the last 5-6 years, or has something changed here in Singapore?

Thanks to Globalization, the World is now divided sharply into Winners and Losers. With Winners making up only about 1%. Singapore, because of its small size, feels the pressure much more acutely. Esp. with influx of Foreign Talent.

Many people are not 'making it.' So how? Fight, lor. Fight day and night. Fight 24-7. I personally have one elderly neighbour who go around on his 30-years-old China bicycle collecting cardboard; he drinks beer and challenges everybody to a fight. He just cannot tahan the shame of being 'marginalized.'

No, you have not been sleeping it off for the last 5-6 years. The World is fast reaching Boiling Point, and is soon to blow its top. Singapore will be the 1st to explode.:o

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are not lawyer by any chance, are you?

Nope I am not, but I know lots of lawyers are crooks. :p They do not mind twisting facts even though they knew their client is guilty. So if you are a honest lawyer with full of moral integrity, you probably wouldn't be rich. :p

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope I am not, but I know lots of lawyers are crooks.

Heaven and hell are actually right next to each other they are seperated by a big chain-link fence.
One day hell was having a big party and it got a little out of hand.
God heard the ruckus and arrived to find his fence completely smashed by the wild partiers so he called the devil over and said "Look, Satan, you have to rebuild this fence."

Satan agreed.

The next day God noticed that the devil had completely rebuilt the fence...but it was 2 feet further into heaven than before.
"Satan!" beckoned God "You have to take that fence down and put it back where it belongs!"
"Yeah? What if I don't?" replied the devil.
"I'll sue you if I have to," answered God.
"Sure," laughed Satan "Where are you going to find a lawyer?"

jw5

Loyal
Naturally, I understand that fact very clearly. The carpark is no place to stroll. In any case, the couple with the dog I witnessed weren't really walking their dog there (more of trying to get from one place to another, and crossing the road at the carpark).

So, rather than do something lame like STOMP it, or start whining about the situation, I fully understand where the boundaries of my rights lie, and when I can/should complain, and when I am just being a royal ass by demanding for my rights (when they don't exist for me).

It's funny these days how people who do wrong or started the problem frequently get even more aggressive than the people they harmed or nearly harmed.
It's almost as if they think they can justify their fault by shouting, gesturing, spewing vulgarities or behaving in an aggressive manner.

Whenever I encounter or witness such situations, I always try and answer this question "Who started it?"
I've seen cases of people strolling leisurely in a parking lot as if they owned it, as well as drivers driving dangerously.
The problem in recent years is that more and more often, the person who started it gets away with nothing or more lightly than the person harmed.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

You sound cynically coldblooded but technically, I can't dispute what you say. But to warm up the blood a little, not to hotblooded level but just to heartwarming level, all should exercise some tolerance and understanding in near-misses where no harm was caused except a momentary shock or annoyance. Come on folks, this is how people get along. Let's get along.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come you always have cars zipping dangerously past you so frequently. Are you a car magnet? :o

If you are crossing the road, regardless of whether its green pedestrian light for you to cross, make sure the car stops then you cross the road. I always do that. Because I know though I have the right of way when its green, if the driver chiewcheng, he will just go to court, while I will go to heaven. :p

I really have no idea. Maybe I have an aura around me that attracts bad drivers. Dare you to walk with me down the streets one day? :smile:

Anyway, jokes aside, with bad drivers coming out of the woodwork and doing every possible random thing to endanger pedestrians, it can be really difficult to ensure one's own safety.

One other common scenario that I have come across multiple times are at T-junctions. These drivers are going to make a right turn, and you are crossing from the opposite side of the road to the same side which they are turning into. They try to beat you to the turn before you reach the opposite side of the road.

In extreme cases, some drivers even try to beat the oncoming traffic (going straight) to make the right turn, right at the point where the red light turns green. And they do succeed in cases, I have witnessed.

And I think when it comes to crossings like zebra crossing, if you "make sure the car stops" by standing there waiting, you are gonna wait a long, long, long time... for that nice driver (possibly 1 in 10) who will slow down, stop, wave you on, and drive off only when your feet touch the opposite kerb.