• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nathan: Outsiders have imaginary ideas. I see reality.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
18,500 visitors is how many times more than the crowd at TJS' rally? :smile:

Nathan: Tony Tan will be S'pore's pride
my paper
Wednesday, Aug 31, 2011

By David Lim

l.jpg

President S R Nathan is confident that Dr Tony Tan would be able to execute the role of Singapore's seventh President.

"I think he's a highly capable person, very reputable. A person who carries himself well. I'm sure he will be a great asset and the pride of Singapore," said Mr Nathan yesterday.

He was speaking to a small group of reporters at the main porch of the Istana's main building during an open house to celebrate Hari Raya Puasa.

Yesterday was the last day he welcomed members of the public into the Istana as President. The open house drew more than 18,500 visitors between 8.30am and 6pm. Today, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will host a farewell reception there for Mr Nathan.

During the brief chat, he spoke about his 12-year tenure of the highest office in the land but, true to his reputation, he did not want to elaborate when asked specifically about the challenges facing the new President.

Asked if Dr Tan faced a daunting challenge in uniting Singapore, he said it was not for him to comment, adding that "every day, new challenges come up, and we find solutions to that. I'm sure he's got all the experience and the ability to deal with them."

Dr Tan had won the presidential election over the weekend, garnering 35.2 per cent of the valid votes cast. He narrowly edged out Dr Tan Cheng Bock, his former People's Action Party colleague, who got 34.8 per cent of the valid votes.
President S R Nathan meeting visitors at the Istana open house yesterday.

When a reporter asked him on his thoughts on Dr Tony Tan's slim-margin win, Mr Nathan said simply: "No, I won't comment on that. Even if you won by one vote, it would still be a victory."

However, Mr Nathan was quick to squash any buzz about the proximity of the President to the Prime Minister within the Istana.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock had raised the idea of moving the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) out of the Istana as a key focus of his campaign agenda.

"The PMO and Cabinet offices should not be housed in the same compound as the President, as this familiarity attracts unwanted suspicion of undue influence," he said in his first televised broadcast on Aug 18.

Asked by my paper to confirm talk that the President and the Prime Minister never cross paths within the Istana, Mr Nathan said: "Who said so? How can it be true? Those who are outside have imaginary ideas. I see reality. So, what is there to contradict them?

"They believe that I don't do any work, okay, so be it. But in my conscience, I know I am clear." When probed further whether the Prime Minister and the President meet beyond formal meetings, he said: "Yes, even outside of formal meetings, we meet. There are occasions we meet outside (the Istana)."

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"They believe that I don't do any work, okay, so be it. But in my conscience, I know I am clear."

Oh no our friend was so angry that he forgot that he is still the president.

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was this said on the advice of cabinet?

"They believe that I don't do any work, okay, so be it. But in my conscience, I know I am clear."

Oh no our friend was so angry that he forgot that he is still the president.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... " ... Those who are outside have imaginary ideas. I see reality. So, what is there to contradict them? ...
ya, man! ...

dose outside can oni dream about a $4m salary job ... me can feel ze $4m wif ze fingers of my hand! ... datz difference between dream n reality ...

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They believe that I don't do any work, okay, so be it. But in my conscience, I know I am clear." When probed further whether the Prime Minister and the President meet beyond formal meetings, he said: "Yes, even outside of formal meetings, we meet. There are occasions we meet outside (the Istana)."

At the back gates of the Istana at midnight, chatting idly over a packet of teh tarik..??? :confused:

jw5

Loyal
He distinguishes between those who are outside and those who are inside.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least now the President is more physically fit--Nathan really spent his time in the Istana--look at his fat.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He sounded like a man at the end of his tethers - he was already switched off, mentally and couldn't wait to get out of the Istana, have creamed us off.
Certainly did not sound like a statesmen who is leaving office with a list of proud achievements. Poor sod.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I would rather he just shut up and go quietly away with his "hard earned" millions. For 12 years, he's been nothing but a very expensive black rubber stamp.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
l.jpg

SRN elbowing the breast of the woman beside him LOL
Never miss the opportunity of cheap thrill KNN prataman