• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My views on Iskandar. Please share yours.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore got more and more mortgagee sales..
With the drop in the stock market and slowing economy and increasing retrenchment, it's only going to get worse. Seems like most of the world's govt are trying to soften the slowing economy but no one knows where will the demand come from.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore got more and more mortgagee sales..
With the drop in the stock market and slowing economy and increasing retrenchment, it's only going to get worse. Seems like most of the world's govt are trying to soften the slowing economy but no one knows where will the demand come from.

Yes that's why I see it as a time to reconsolidate and move some property investments offshore.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I wanted to know is the other points of view on Iskandar, like what makes it so attractive to buy properties there. Unfortunately, I can't say I have found the answer. The question is really quite straightforward: What is it in Iskandar that you think will make your property be valuable, amidst all the (negative) facts and reports that point to all the problems?

My question to you is: Do you really know Iskandar? Or is your analysis based on reading newspapers and internet articles? Do you know where is Bukit Indah, Nusa Idaman, Sutera Utama, Molek, Permas Jaya, Mount Austin? How many times have you been to these places in the past year, if at all?

Property investment is not based on reading a few articles. If you want the macro view, I can give it to you as well. Economic growth rate in Iskandar will probably be at least twice of SG in the next 10-15 years. Will the gap widen or narrow in 10-15 years time? How do you think HSR and RTS will eventually impact Iskandar and SG? No one can say for sure, but people can start making educated guesses now.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
My question to you is: Do you really know Iskandar? Or is your analysis based on reading newspapers and internet articles? Do you know where is Bukit Indah, Nusa Idaman, Sutera Utama, Molek, Permas Jaya, Mount Austin? How many times have you been to these places in the past year, if at all?

Property investment is not based on reading a few articles. If you want the macro view, I can give it to you as well. Economic growth rate in Iskandar will probably be at least twice of SG in the next 10-15 years. Will the gap widen or narrow in 10-15 years time? How do you think HSR and RTS will eventually impact Iskandar and SG? No one can say for sure, but people can start making educated guesses now.

Mpan12, you need to answer this first:

You buy for investment or you buy for own stay.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
"After half a day tour with rests in between, I told my friend honestly: You have reasons to be very worried"

Already clearly stated spent 6 full hours in Iskandar...and disregarded his friend rational as myth...

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
"After half a day tour with rests in between, I told my friend honestly: You have reasons to be very worried"

Already clearly stated spent 6 full hours in Iskandar...and disregarded his friend rational as myth...

Not only him but many naysayers have zero ground knowledge but can rattle off like some experts. Talk based on misinformed stats and news article. I have met tonnes of pple like that . They seem to have this thing about hoping that others' investmt will turn bad and somehow deriving some kind of twisted 'joy' . Fundamentally sick in some way I believe.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

The question on do I know Iskandar... Well, I have been into JB several times, but only studied it closely recently when I went to some of the places there. I've read numerous data and facts on Iskandar. I've heard the "good" parts of Iskandar commented by Malaysian developers/agents selling their properties, the IRDA, and from the buyers of Iskandar properties, especially those here (guess you're one of them). I've also weight in on the negative side of Iskandar mentioned by none other than our own dear Singapore government (whom I have much respect for!), Malaysian bank analysts, local and international property experts, local agents who have no vested interest to sell Iskandar properties, local smart investors... they all point to the very dull future of Iskandar for residential investment.

Is the above sufficient? If not, I dunno what else will be when I decide whether or not I will invest in Iskandar! To understand Iskandar better, am I supposed to barge into the office of the Iskandar authorities and ask to audit their land sales and master plan (if they even have a credible one!)??

I'm curious though. Yes, I've read newspapers and internet articles also. Which part in them is inaccurate about Iskandar? My views are not just based on them, of course. All those places you've mentioned, yes... I've been to some of them or heard about them. So what about them? What have they got to do with the discussion here?

"Economic growth rate in Iskandar will probably be at least twice of SG in the next 10-15 years. Will the gap widen or narrow in 10-15 years time?"

Now, where did you get this fact from? Can please quote for me so that I can go read it? Strange that whoever said this was so daring. You're dealing with a 3rd world country here and they are saying all these? I vaguely recall Malaysia has aims to be a 1st world country by 2020 or something like that. Bold aim. But seriously, it's only 5 years more to 2020. With all that is happening now, you want me to believe that? :smile: Have they ever proven themselves to have improved economically and socially to even advance anywhere close to the 1st world status? Is the racial harmony and safety standards improving in the last 10 years? No.

So it's my turn to ask you: You believe everything the Malaysian authorities tell you about Iskandar?

Funny thing is, my close Malaysian friends also think like me and there are people in Singapore who can tell me, No no.. you don't understand about the "bright" future of Iskandar! :O

On "How do you think HSR and RTS will eventually impact Iskandar and SG?", I'd say, be careful how you interpret it. Did you ever question how HSR is going to impact residential apartments in Iskandar? People tend to jump to conclusion so quickly. Oh there's going to be a new high speed train. So Iskandar will prosper!!! So means I must buy my Iskandar condo and I will make $$$ through capital appreciation if I have "holding power" for 10-15 years!!!! Yeah!!!

Wait... Not so fast... Don't get so excited can?

Ask yourself: Who benefits most from the HSR if it is really built? HSR is not like MRT. It's not for common everyday travel. It's not for the layman to use every day. It doesn't stop near to where you live. It is not like our MRT which passes through Toa Payoh, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio residential areas and you only walk 5 minutes to your condo. It also will not cost S$1 to take a ride. How does HSR cause property prices in Iskandar to rise, may I ask?

And just so you know, the idea of building HSR is very shaky now. Both sides are questioning if it is economically viable. 5 years to build is an over-enthusiastic goal. It will take a very long time if it happens. Even so, by the time it comes, your Iskandar property price will still be stagnant or even go lower due to the huge oversupply. You will likely also lose through the ever-decreasing RM currency.

Don't be surprised if the HSR is totally scrapped or it only has 1 or 2 stops and it's not a HSR but a normal train.

You seriously still can't see this coming?

Ok you may say, wait wait... there's the RTS. That's like MRT. My response still is: Come on! Think harder! Does it still stop at every part of Iskandar? You think it will be a dense network like our MRT? By the way, where is the RTS now when even the HSR is so uncertain? They said RTS was supposed to be ready by 2018. Where's the plan now? So please don't throw me questions like "Do you know Iskandar's economy will be twice that of Singapore?", "Do you know Malaysia will be 1st world in 2020?", "Do you know RTS/HSR will cause Iskandar's condos to all increase in prices in 15 years time?" Big jokes!

On "No one can say for sure, but people can start making educated guesses now.", you said it yourself!

These are all "GUESSES". That's what I precisely think those who bought Iskandar properties (especially condos) after 2012 delude themselves with. When you guess at something which has little or no evidence, you are taking HUGE RISKS. Unless you tell me the building of HSR and RTS is already underway, there are already some big MNCs or businesses in Iskandar, it makes sense to be confident and go in to buy Iskandar properties. Those are all plain empty talks! Have you asked why are so many businesses, local or overseas, reluctant to enter Iskandar?

So I won't call it "educated" guesses. It's more of blind faith on a 3rd world country. It's perhaps not so bad when you enter in when prices are low. In life, you take a risk. Even if you lose, you lose small. Those who enter in after 2012, the prices you all bought are too high for comfort. You don't have any margin at all when you fail. Now that the Iskandar data are out, with super huge oversupply, not popular with businesses, dwindling economy, weakening RM currency, who still dare to go in and defend Iskandar?

Pardon me, but to me buying a property is a big thing. One better go in with eyes wide open, brains running intelligently, and with all the facts and figures plain in black-and-white for all to see. You want to enter through blind faith, believing what the Malaysian authorities tell you, I say, you are taking a very big risk!

Of course, some give the simplistic and ridiculous argument, well, I'm sure if you have "holding power", things MAY improve. Hold till when? 30 years time? 40, 50 years time? Life is short. No astute investor does investments in such a long time frame. What's the point of buying a property with so long and so much uncertainty? And only your grandchildren or great-grandchildren can enjoy, if that ever happens?

I'm also not interested in the case where one tells me, I'm rich what. I have holding power. The $300k Iskandar condo I bought doesn't mean much to me. This group of people can clearly buy whatever they want. But if you are a commoner or simple want to be a proper, smart astute investor in the street, seriously, admit to the fact that you are taking an unimaginably huge amount of risk if you still think Iskandar will be a safe investment.

I still hear some people hold on strongly to the idea that their >9,000 units Country Garden condo will be able to find tenant and will appreciate in price next time. Whoa... seriously.... don't cry when the condo is ready and you have no buyer, no tenant, while the bank constantly mail you to pay your monthly mortgage for the next 30 years. While the price of your condo drops in value along the way.

If any of you are still not convinced of how bad the real situation in investing in Iskandar, go talk to David Poh. You can find out who he is. Set up an appointment with him or attend one of his talks. All that I have written here so far is quite mild already. You go listen to him talk and tell you all the negative facts and figures about Iskandar.

I tell you, you will walk out of the room maybe shivering or can't sleep at night! Especially if you bought any condo in Iskandar thinking that it will make money for you.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enough has been said. Let's mark this day 14 oct 2015. Let's revisit this tread on 14 oct 2020 to see who is the real clairvoyant. :biggrin:

I agree with you bro. Enough has been said and people keep repeating the same facts and myths. A bit tired le. I would rather hear more about how people is retiring in johor and their renovation experience. Property cycle is 8 to 10 years, now argue until cow come home also pointless. Let's come back in 2020 and see who is right.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would it be correct to say that for those of us who bought into Iskandar for own stay, that we would be immune from the negative views of David Poh and similar people?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would it be correct to say that for those of us who bought into Iskandar for own stay, that we would be immune from the negative views of David Poh and similar people?

Can't really say that . Have you ever wonder what are you going to do with your FH landed house when you passed away? 1) Sell at dirt cheap to local , 2) donate to charity . Look like cannot transfer to your love ones hor , unless they marry a Malaysian

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't really say that . Have you ever wonder what are you going to do with your FH landed house when you passed away? 1) Sell at dirt cheap to local , 2) donate to charity . Look like cannot transfer to your love ones hor , unless they marry a Malaysian

If it is for own stay, whatever external factors like economic downturn will have little impact cos self fulfillment of your property take precedence over investment returns. Those joys and conveniences cannot be measured by money made unlike pure investments.

First thing you do when you have properties:

Have a will and make sure it is an internationally recognised one. Or have a Trust property set up. Letters of Administration and Probates are lengthy processes. Also if you buy properties especially overseas, use a company to buy to avoid problems with inheritance tax.

Do not leave problems to your wives and children. :smile:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under this http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/contact-us/faq

It says can transfer to next of kin. I think it applies even if not purchased under MM2H scheme.

That is good news if true....

For me, I bought in JB cause I have been eyeing for a long time (should have bought much earlier on hindsight)...my parents were born in Malaysia and most of my extended family is there...I have happy childhood memories of going back to a kampung village where my parents were born and playing with my numerous cousins there...I dun mind retiring and even dying in Malaysia since my happy memories were there...so there is an emotional attachment...JB cause I need to be near Sg as I may need to semiretire ie work on and off...I have a granduncle in JB and a cousin living in JB and I would like to reconnect more with my Malaysian relatives esp since my Dad is now gone and my mum is old...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is good news if true....

For me, I bought in JB cause I have been eyeing for a long time (should have bought much earlier on hindsight)...my parents were born in Malaysia and most of my extended family is there...I have happy childhood memories of going back to a kampung village where my parents were born and playing with my numerous cousins there...I dun mind retiring and even dying in Malaysia since my happy memories were there...so there is an emotional attachment...JB cause I need to be near Sg as I may need to semiretire ie work on and off...I have a granduncle in JB and a cousin living in JB and I would like to reconnect more with my Malaysian relatives esp since my Dad is now gone and my mum is old...

I believe it should be true that we can transfer property to next of kin by way of deed or will, or if not our next of kin prove their identity to claim inheritance.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it should be true that we can transfer property to next of kin by way of deed or will, or if not our next of kin prove their identity to claim inheritance.

That will be ideal, if generations after me can have the option of living in JB and working in Sg if transport improves that is...as I dun like living in overcrowded conditions....

For me, when my kids grow older, we may explore semiretiring there in JB, as can prob get by by working less but hopefully RTS becomes a reality if not have to depend on Tebrau shuttle...really have to test out the system one day....

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
If any of you are still not convinced of how bad the real situation in investing in Iskandar, go talk to David Poh. You can find out who he is. Set up an appointment with him or attend one of his talks. All that I have written here so far is quite mild already. You go listen to him talk and tell you all the negative facts and figures about Iskandar.

I tell you, you will walk out of the room maybe shivering or can't sleep at night! Especially if you bought any condo in Iskandar thinking that it will make money for you.

I agree with every point you make actually and also base my decisions on what I see on the ground, I have been to JB for decades, probably even before some of the forumers were born and yet people question me on whether I know JB. Anyway people here only want to hear the good things and clutch at straws.

So why am I here? I am still looking for intelligent views on why I should buy in JB and not blind optimism.

Last edited:

dumb1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ask Johoreans and some don't even bother to know where are all these places or even visit them.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really touched by forummers like mpan12 & Xebay11 whom clearly, :*: on Malaysia/JB/Iskandar
yet willing to Brace the flow to be a contrarian on a Pro Iskandar forum for Singaporeans. :roll eyes:

If future could be so easily predicted by naysayers/news/analyst we all would be Millionaire lo.
Whr got time to surf this Forum? Anyway, like the thread of the forum states, Living in Iskandar guide for Singaporeans,
Investing in a property is secondary. If u wants to live in JB, property appreciation will not be at the Top of your mind.

So Thanks anyway for the contrarian views.
They are useful entertainment reads.

:cool:

If the discussions here was really about living in JB, then with current information and news, renting is an excellent option, no need to talk about who is clairvoyant and revisit 10 years later, the situation has already turned for the worst, IMDB fiasco, collapsing currency, huge unplanned overbuilding, unstable racial tensions, compared to investing in the 2007-2008 period where there was real growth.

Unfortunately many here do not accept the bad news and just want people to see it their way that buying is the way to go, even when they console themselves about using it for own stay, deep inside they are still looking at CA, also own stay does not just mean just forgoing any CA but carrying a lifelong burden of a fast deteriorating property and bad maintenance are they, as Singaporeans prepared for this?

Yes we are really flowing against the tide here against some very close minded people with self serving intentions just to prove themselves right and maybe lure the inexperienced in.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really touched by forummers like mpan12 & Xebay11 whom clearly, :*: on Malaysia/JB/Iskandar
yet willing to Brace the flow to be a contrarian on a Pro Iskandar forum for Singaporeans. :roll eyes:

If future could be so easily predicted by naysayers/news/analyst we all would be Millionaire lo.
Whr got time to surf this Forum? Anyway, like the thread of the forum states, Living in Iskandar guide for Singaporeans,
Investing in a property is secondary. If u wants to live in JB, property appreciation will not be at the Top of your mind.

So Thanks anyway for the contrarian views.
They are useful entertainment reads.

:cool:

I think in the end of the day, if we want to do it, we do it. No need to ask around for opinions after opinions. If we do not want to do it, no matter what others say, the shutters shut already.

Would I buy more in Iskandar? Nope as my boat is now parked in Singapore waiting for the right time to cast my net, hopefully next year.
But my advice to others is if you really want to invest, just wait. It is still good as it is a buyer's market and you are the king.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask Johoreans and some don't even bother to know where are all these places or even visit them.

Johoreans dont know these places? LOL. Its like saying Singaporeans dont know Tampines, Ang Mo Kio, Tiong Bahru, Tanjong Pagar!