• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full time

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full

I know for sure that many of the BB residents don't earn $17K a month. Many , in fact, are struggling to make ends meet and they hold down full time jobs. Some even have to work two jobs to survive. To hear from their candidate that he will be drawing $17K a month, but he will not be dedicating full time to the job of looking after the constituency doesn't go down well with the residents in BB. Why doesn't he dedicate full time to his legal profession which he probably makes hundreds of thousands a year and let someone else more willing to go full time to be the MP elect instead ? Is the $17K a month MP pay that much to hanker for ?

For many S'poreans, 17k should be able to take care of their parents, parents-in-law and children quite comfortably. In the case of PAP MP wannabes, 17k may be a huge sum. It depends on that bugger's profession. If that bugger was just a civil servant previously, 17k is like tiok beh pio every month. I opine most of these desperadoes want to be an MP coz once you become one, you are taken care of till you up-lorry. The government has many places available where these retired MPs can get $$$ and continue to live very comfortably. It is a win-win for them all.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full

Look at Murali...He needs Tharman and GF to speak for him...Is he a leader or a follower? Do we vote for a leader or follower at the BB BE?

pinky will be speaking up for him soon. ditto lim boon heng. in the case of the latter, murali is a heavyweight coz he has 100 plus lawyers reporting to him at r&t. that being the case, melvin is more heavyweight. as commander of clementi mata chu, he had 700-900 officers under his charge.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

u guys dont understand,this aint no marriage vows,we are just strangers on a train,a one fuck night in paris,a rendezvous,we are part time lovers.

[video=youtube;jN2AdOjI4FI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2AdOjI4FI[/video]

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

For many S'poreans, 17k should be able to take care of their parents, parents-in-law and children quite comfortably. In the case of PAP MP wannabes, 17k may be a huge sum. It depends on that bugger's profession. If that bugger was just a civil servant previously, 17k is like tiok beh pio every month. I opine most of these desperadoes want to be an MP coz once you become one, you are taken care of till you up-lorry. The government has many places available where these retired MPs can get $$$ and continue to live very comfortably. It is a win-win for them all.

I think almost everyone here does not seem to understand the term "allowance". It is being interpreted as a pay packet when it is nothing of the sort.

An MP's allowance is like a salesman's entertainment allowance. It is used to cover the overheads of doing the job.

MPs don't have $17,000 per month to spend. It is used to cover the cost of performing the duties of an MP.

I remembered seeing an article about this long time ago so I did a search and found it.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120107-320436.html

Unless a full time MP has other sources of funds, he/she would be very unlikely to be living a lavish existence on an allowance alone given the fact that a good portion would go back to running his/her ward.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

AsiaOne
Saturday, Jan 07, 2012
SINGAPORE - Under the recommendations of the committee to review ministerial salaries, MPs will see an allowance cut to $192,500.

This is about a 3 per cent cut from their 2010 allowance, a relatively small cut compared to the pay cut of 36 to 37 per cent the Prime Minister and ministers are facing.

However, MPs say the job expenses are diverse and often hefty, and just like regular salaries, their allowances are subject to income tax deductions.

In addition, it is the norm for MPs to contribute a percentage of their allowance to their political party, if they are affiliated to one.

For the People's Action Party, MPs donate 10 per cent of their allowance to the party. The same applied for Mr Chiam See Tong of Singapore Democratic Party when he was an MP, Mr Sin Kek Tong, 64, founder of SPP previously said.

The Straits Times (ST) interviewed 10 MPs to see where their monthly allowance goes to.

Mr Edwin Tong, MP for Moulmein-Kallang GRC, told ST that when he became MP, he opened a separate bank account for his monthly MP allowance, which he only uses for MP-related purposes.

These include dinners with grassroots activists and charitable donations.

He does not see the allowance as income for himself, and having a separate bank account makes it more transparent, he said.

Mr Zainudin Nordin, MP of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, said MPs may make regular donations to charitable causes, as well as ad-hoc donations made to individuals and organisations.

Other expenses include constituency-related donations, such as to welfare funds, he said.

He added that he also pays for retreats and gatherings for grassroots activists to build teamwork.

Ms Ellen Lee, MP of Sembawang GRC, told ST that she donated $20,000 to the building fund of her ward's community centre.

It appears that this altruistic behaviour is the norm, according to the MPs. Mr David Ong, MP of Jurong GRC, said the MPs take every chance to give back to the community.

Dr Janil Puthucheary, MP of Pasir-Ris-Punggol GRC, said he donates portions of his allowance anonymously.

Ms Tin Pei Ling, MP of Marine Parade GRC, said she spends about half her MP allowance on donations and grassroots activities.

She comes out several thousand dollars each month to grassroots functions. For example, she is forking out almost $10,000 for the upcoming Chinese New Year dinner.

The average dinner for activists cost $5,000 to $6,000.

For what is left of her allowance, she said she is planning to use the money to fund a new social project in her ward, which she will launch soon.

She added that she uses her personal savings for expenses such as travel.

Mr Lim Biow Chuan, MP for Mountbatten, said about 10 per cent of his monthly allowance goes towards more personal causes, such as the weddings or funerals of grassroots activists and volunteers.

Dr Lily Neo, MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, has been previously reported to have donated her increase in MP allowance back in 2011 to Public Assistance receipients in her constituency.

Mr Ang Hin Kee, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, told Chinese daily Zaobao that MPs all have issues they are close with. He is personally concerned with the disadvantaged in society and reintegrating ex-convicts into society.

Therefore, he will donate to related projects. Even though the sums may be small, by doing so, Mr Ang hopes that he will attract others to do likewise.

Marine Parade GRC MP Seah Kian Peng also told Zaobao that he helped foot part of the renovation bill for his ward's Braddell Heights Community Centre. Other than that, he will also take care of the expenses for dinners held in appreciation of his ward's volunteers.

[email protected]

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guys victory margin just went up to 93% with this new comment.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

a certain Harry Lee earned his MP's salary while someone else did his MPS on his behalf.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

a certain Harry Lee earned his MP's salary while someone else did his MPS on his behalf.

MPs don't earn a salary. They are given an allowance.

Harry was part of a GRC so his share of the allowance would have been used by the healthier and fitter members of his team for constituency activities.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

MPs don't earn a salary. They are given an allowance.

Harry was part of a GRC so his share of the allowance would have been used by the healthier and fitter members of his team for constituency activities.

Lucky bugger. It is a "salary" for him since he was not working.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think almost everyone here does not seem to understand the term "allowance". It is being interpreted as a pay packet when it is nothing of the sort.

An MP's allowance is like a salesman's entertainment allowance. It is used to cover the overheads of doing the job.

MPs don't have $17,000 per month to spend. It is used to cover the cost of performing the duties of an MP.

I remembered seeing an article about this long time ago so I did a search and found it.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120107-320436.html

Unless a full time MP has other sources of funds, he/she would be very unlikely to be living a lavish existence on an allowance alone given the fact that a good portion would go back to running his/her ward.

allowance means something given to them that they have not earned,does ur parents give u allowance?does ns give u allowance?do u have to return the balance which is unspent?no,its urs to do whatever u like.allowance is not salary,not a proper income,compensation,to give mps a 17k allowance is insane,are they insinuating that MPs should be paid even more?maybe their real "salaries" should be 50k per month?i only got $500 allowance when i was serving NS.shit.

as for the saleman's entertainment funds,companies have something called "expense fund" for trivial and petty expenses,if the mp choose to pay for the food and drinks and entertainment out of his pocket or "allowance" he should be properly compensated for thru the expense fund,no MP should be expected to pay with his own money,he should file for rebates and refunds and chargebacks.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I know for sure that many of the BB residents don't earn $17K a month. Many , in fact, are struggling to make ends meet and they hold down full time jobs. Some even have to work two jobs to survive. To hear from their candidate that he will be drawing $17K a month, but he will not be dedicating full time to the job of looking after the constituency doesn't go down well with the residents in BB. Why doesn't he dedicate full time to his legal profession which he probably makes hundreds of thousands a year and let someone else more willing to go full time to be the MP elect instead ? Is the $17K a month MP pay that much to hanker for ?

U make a very good point. If I am a BB taxpayer and paying this fucker $17K a month, I want him to work full time. the other candidate from SDP already confirmed he will be working full time. Both of them are professionals. I don't know how much Chee earns, but he is giving up that money. If Murali is not willing to do it, he should fuck off. At the pay they are getting, all fucking MPs should be full time.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

pls dont tell me these jokers are worth 17,000 a month,they are nothing but small town politicians in charge of a tiny village,in china they would not even be the lowest of the low,ikan billis size.in china the hierarchy is massive,they would have to fight thru thousands and thousands of politicos and village chiefs and battle for provinces and territories,before they even get to the executive level,the level of xi jin ping.these PAP maggots are not even worth $1000 USD for the value they produce compared to their PRC counterparts.

These PAP shits are not worth $500 a month. A bangla worker FT sweeping the streets is 10 times more productive to society then these useless fucks.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

Being an MP is not job. An MP is there to represent the constituents and he/she therefore needs to be part and parcel of the community they are representing.

A full time MP is detached from the realities of life because they don't have real jobs. It was never the intention of the Westminster model for an MP to be an occupation. That is why they are only paid an allowance and not a salary.

why are they paid so much more than what an average sgian can earn monthly???????????????? Why?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

That is why they are only paid an allowance and not a salary.

Sam, you sheep fucker. U can call it whatever you want. Call it an allowance, call it salary, call it bonus, call it petty cash disbursement, whatever, i don't care. BOTTOM LINE IS THE MONEY GOES INTO THEIR POCKET. Stop trying to smoke the issue with your pathetic comments.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Look at Murali...He needs Tharman and GF to speak for him...Is he a leader or a follower? Do we vote for a leader or follower at the BB BE?

Every PAP MP is a follower. If you are a natural born leader, you are a threat to Gay Loong and you would never smell a candidacy.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

why are they paid so much more than what an average sgian can earn monthly???????????????? Why?

How else can they expect to attract the brightest and the best ( and also the greedy ) to join their ranks ?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

$17k is nothing for a lawyer. The cocksuckers in here think $17k is big fuck!

If its nothing for him, then why is he taking the job to be MP? Better stay in his law office and bill more hours.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Problem is few BB residents want to stand up for election!

Bullshit. Many want to stand for election. But BB is not a rich ward. How many residents can afford to gamble $16,000 for the deposit?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yeah, you can ask TPL. She was only an assistant treasury (admin position on the low scale) for YPAP before she hit the jackpot with her MP nomination thru the GRC backdoor. I think max, she earned $2500 a month at that time.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Sam, has sheep fucking screwed up your brains? You believe this shit they tell you? Ok, lets make this very simple. Have all the MPs "allowance" spending be audited. then for sure we will know what goes where. I have yet to see one single PAP MP voluntarily summit his expenses from his allowance to see where it goes. verbally telling a Braddell road prostitute press reporter how you spend your $17K is hardly conclusive proof that it was the actual way the money was spend. In any case, every constituency office has their own budget given by the govt. As well, PA Are funding the grassroots organizations which almost always spend all their funding to support PAP related activities. These fuckers have so much funding coming out of their ying yang they hardly need any money from the MPs personal salary. any PAP MPs that claim they donate money from their allowance for this or that is clearly suffering from a guilty conscience at the obscene amount they are paid.