• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Jobs Coming to Perth

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, please leave this thread alone. No, just fuck off. I need proper insights from people who has walked the talk.

Lovely.... :biggrin:

seriously, get started, I went through an registered/certified immigration agent and got mine late last year. According to him, the immigration authority is slowing down the processing speed, due to the economic downturn.

another friend of mine who has applied last year(thru the sam eagent), will only get his application processed end of this year or early next year.

you might want to get started ASAP, cos there will be further changes to the requiements soon

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was a computer guy. It is practically why I'm screwed up. I have a degree in IT, a diploma in civil engineering. After working 4 years in IT, I did myself a anti-favour by switching career to the civil engineering line. To date I have barely 1/2 a year of experience as an engineer. I will be consulting an agent when I have 1 full year of experience. I am mentally prepared for rejection as merely a Diploma + 1 year experience is properly not going to cut it.

Could you share how was your transition, difficulties and a timeline if you don't mind?

Thanks for all the links, I'll go through them carefully.

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check out state sponsored visa if you are worried about not having enough points.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-496.htm

In general, you get the visa at a faster time frame with reduced points needed. However, you need to work and stay in the sponsored state for at least 2 years. After that, you will be able to get the proper PR visa.

I'm willing to try anything. Hope I fulfill their requirements for a state sponsor. I have yet to go through the criteria, will do so. Thanks for introducing this option.

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lovely.... :biggrin:

seriously, get started, I went through an registered/certified immigration agent and got mine late last year. According to him, the immigration authority is slowing down the processing speed, due to the economic downturn.

another friend of mine who has applied last year(thru the sam eagent), will only get his application processed end of this year or early next year.

you might want to get started ASAP, cos there will be further changes to the requiements soon

I'm aware of the on-going changes. That's why I'm racking my brains how to get through the barriers. I'll update.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was a computer guy. It is practically why I'm screwed up. I have a degree in IT, a diploma in civil engineering. After working 4 years in IT, I did myself a anti-favour by switching career to the civil engineering line. To date I have barely 1/2 a year of experience as an engineer. I will be consulting an agent when I have 1 full year of experience. I am mentally prepared for rejection as merely a Diploma + 1 year experience is properly not going to cut it.

Could you share how was your transition, difficulties and a timeline if you don't mind?

From what I could remember, when I was applying the visa myself, most of the skilled jobs in the SOL, Skilled Occupation List, required a degree to be assessed by the relevant authorities. For IT, its the ACM if I'm not mistaken. I suppose it depends on what you want to do when you arrive in the country. Do you want to continue being a civil engineer? Or do you want to go back to IT?

Based on what you have said, if you decide to stick to civil engineering, perhaps you can take a look at the education route. A lot of PRCs and Indians I have met here are studying 2-3 years of Degree/Masters/Postgrad with the intention to use that to get PR after their studies are done. Work experience is exempted in the application after you graduated and you get an extra 10 points for being in an Aussie uni. :wink: There is also the route for trade schools, hairdresser/mechanics/plumber. But recent events would mean the government is going to close that loophole soon. I'm not sure if this route is suitable for you as your circumstances could be different from them. But have a look at it as well.

Again, please read through the site carefully and consult a good migration agent if you are not sure of your option.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cannot compare with my timeline because I have been here for a while. But I will share my nephew's timeline because we went through this together.

Mar 2002
Received supporting document from HR Depts of Fujitsu Malaysia & Fujitsu Australia on transfer of staff from KL office to Sydney.

May 2003
- Visit High Comm to get Migration Kit. Apply for PR visa (offshore).
- Apply for Australian Computer Society (ACS) MODL
- ACS responded. PR application fast-tracked.

Aug 2003
- Skilled Migrant Adelaide Office's case officer contact nephew for additional information
- Reply within a week.
- Applied and received Police clearance in both Malaysia and Singapore (used to work in Singapore for 3 years)

Sep 2003
- case officer contact nephew for character check and health check.
- Reply within 2 week.
(2 weeks wait)
- PR granted. Report to Aus New Comm in KL with passport for PR visa.

Oct 2003
(1 week wait)
- Collect passport.

His girlfriend was not granted fasttrack on MODL and her whole process took 52 weeks.

Note: No need English Test because my nephew forward a letter stating that he was a semi-finalist in an international English debate team.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm aware of the on-going changes. That's why I'm racking my brains how to get through the barriers. I'll update.

Australia has tightened the migrant entry requirement, but don't worry too much. Get a MARA-registered agent to help you. It will be best if the agent is a lawyer as well so you do not need to pay notary public fees separately.

Remember, stick to your engineering qualification.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

ah, another civil engineering turn to IT guy. im in the same boat as you. basically u have4 straight years of IT experience (not sure what but 99% windows based?) and that would qualify. it is degree + 4 years of straight relevant IT experiences. u need reference letter for all the companies that u had worked for under the IT application.

and given your age and degree and work experience, you should qualify for the emigration. good luck.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me give you a piece of advice: Quitters never quit :wink: In order to survive in the big jungle, quitter will hv to 'fight' his way out of the danger zone.

Another advice : work around the requirement. If LKY can carefully engineer his constituency to win votes.. I'm sure the fellow sinkies can work around the requirement to gain approval :wink:

There are also ways to seek an appeal and challenge a decision.. Of course, you shld hv sufficient knowledge to do that..

Good luck !

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try Melbourne, Perth is too isolated and laidback, Sydney human density & hectic (a bit similiar to Spore). Melbourne will be a good balanced of both.

Thank you for the Melbourne's remarks. So where the bloody hell are you ? Get down to Mel to enjoy the good food !

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for the Melbourne's remarks. So where the bloody hell are you ? Get down to Mel to enjoy the good food !

I'm in Sydney, the most expensive city in Oz. Yes, I think Melb has better food but Sydney's weather is better.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm in Sydney, the most expensive city in Oz. Yes, I think Melb has better food but Sydney's weather is better.

Bought your hse yet ? Consider Melbourne before you settle.. stay in melbourne for a couple of weeks before you decide.. you wont regret :smile:

My mum said the lasi lemak is the best she ever tasted.. Dad prefers Mel's food.. my son loves HK's spring onion beef.. wifey likes viet noodles.. I go for penang har mee.. Recently found very nice and crispy taiwanese yu-tiao for breakfast.. you cant find these foods in SG.. Hmmm... yummmy...

Oh, last week an Indo-Thai family invited us for dinner.. spicy foods.. belachan.. green chicken curry..
bloody hell ! i am getting hungry now..

Sydney is too expensive.. try value-for-money Mel :smile:

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought your hse yet ? Consider Melbourne before you settle.. stay in melbourne for a couple of weeks before you decide.. you wont regret :smile:

My mum said the lasi lemak is the best she ever tasted.. Dad prefers Mel's food.. my son loves HK's spring onion beef.. wifey likes viet noodles.. I go for penang har mee.. Recently found very nice and crispy taiwanese yu-tiao for breakfast.. you cant find these foods in SG.. Hmmm... yummmy...

Oh, last week an Indo-Thai family invited us for dinner.. spicy foods.. belachan.. green chicken curry..

Yah Sydney is ridiculously expensive. Sigh... You can still get good food in Sydney though. Anyway, anyone know about this restaurant in Perth called Kallang? Or was it Katong?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moved in Sydney solely because of job opportunities as I'm in finance industry. I stayed in Melbourne before, so already experienced the life there.
U can get all these food in Sydney as well. Got a investment property in Melb. Not considering to buy one in Sydney because its not value for money, and strata is the killer.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah Sydney is ridiculously expensive. Sigh... You can still get good food in Sydney though. Anyway, anyone know about this restaurant in Perth called Kallang? Or was it Katong?

Agree..

when i was in sydney, few chinese ask for directional cld not speak a single english.. i guess the food must be authentic.. hehe.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moved in Sydney solely because of job opportunities as I'm in finance industry. I stayed in Melbourne before, so already experienced the life there.
U can get all these food in Sydney as well. Got a investment property in Melb. Not considering to buy one in Sydney because its not value for money, and strata is the killer..

Great, you wont regret it.. in the past 3 months the property prices in Melbourne hv gone up, I guess ya smiling to the bank. hehe. I am having a 2nd valuation nx week for my new purchase.. trying to squeeze some money from the bank to standby for investment..

Nvr buy a hse with Strata Title.. I try to discourage this genius bloke when he arrived. but he said he is learning from the singapore experience & strata is ok.. also better for security.. bengz.. finally, he bought a hse in the middle of nowhere. The last time, i saw the news that Gold Coast govt is planning to build some govt hsing around the area.. Gee, singaporeans are so diff.. they prefer strata, dont mind living with govt hsing.. live in a high risk area but put a security to stop the crime ?... :( I guess it is hard to get rid of their sinkie mentality. God bless them.

Well, 3 cheers for us !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree..

when i was in sydney, few chinese ask for directional cld not speak a single english.. i guess the food must be authentic.. hehe.

Actually, depending on the restaurant, ability to speak cantonese would greatly improve the service. The sad thing is that a lot of younger sinkies lost that ability when they are growing up in Singapore. Believe it or not, I actually learn Hokkien, Cantonese in a white country, Australia. I find there is nothing wrong with them not speaking a word of english. The menu are full of pictures of dishes you can order, all you have to do is point. :smile: In fact, certain suburbs have community that are pre-dominated by certain nationality. Example, Ashfield, also known as little Shanghai, Strathfield, Little Korea, Cabramatta, Little Vietnam. Because of this, you can get very authentic food. A hongkkie friend of mind used to tell me the Yum Cha here was better then in Hongkong. The reason being the top chef from hongkong migrated here. :wink:

Another thing about Sydney I find, is that, if you know Cantonese/Mandarin, it is possible to not use a word of english if you know how to plan where to spend your day.

Imperialarse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, depending on the restaurant, ability to speak cantonese would greatly improve the service. The sad thing is that a lot of younger sinkies lost that ability when they are growing up in Singapore. Believe it or not, I actually learn Hokkien, Cantonese in a white country, Australia. I find there is nothing wrong with them not speaking a word of english. The menu are full of pictures of dishes you can order, all you have to do is point. :smile: In fact, certain suburbs have community that are pre-dominated by certain nationality. Example, Ashfield, also known as little Shanghai, Strathfield, Little Korea, Cabramatta, Little Vietnam. Because of this, you can get very authentic food. A hongkkie friend of mind used to tell me the Yum Cha here was better then in Hongkong. The reason being the top chef from hongkong migrated here. :wink:

Another thing about Sydney I find, is that, if you know Cantonese/Mandarin, it is possible to not use a word of english if you know how to plan where to spend your day.

why dont you just shut the fuck up you asshole?

And take neddie the pills and the other fucking clowns on this thread and shove them up your ass you duckfucker

fuckwits like you who talk to themselves are probably in singapore jerking off you fucktard