• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile-charger fire sparks PRCs to panick in MRT

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to Top Stories Section

[h=3]
MY_20140624_POWER24_P_433294.jpg
[/h] MOMENTS BEFORE THE ALARM: Commuters on board an MRT train on the East-West Line looking on as smoke starts to fill the cabin on Sunday afternoon. A mobile phone powerbank had burst into flames in a passenger's bag.

PHOTO: INTERNET

Published on Jun 24, 2014
[h=2]Mobile-charger fire sparks MRT panic[/h]

A POWERBANK, used to charge mobile phones on the go, burst into flames on a train and caused panic among commuters on Sunday afternoon.

Passengers who were on the train told Lianhe Wanbao that people ran from the fire, causing others to flee, even though they did not know what the cause was.

At around 2pm on Sunday, on the East-West Line going towards Pasir Ris, smoke poured out of one of the carriages as the train passed Tiong Bahru Station.

The powerbank in one of the passengers' bags caught fire, and emitted smoke, an SMRT spokesman said. Some burn marks were left on the floor of the carriage.

Passengers in the carriage left the train car holding their hands over their noses.

"I didn't know what happened, but I saw everyone running in fear, and I recalled that knifing incident on the Taipei subway, so I also moved away and got off at Outram," said Miss Lim, 33, who tipped Wanbao off to the incident.

Ng Siang Ping, another witness, said passengers pressed the emergency button and told SMRT staff about the smoke.

A number of witnesses recounted what happened on microblogging site Weibo.

=> Only PRCs use Weibo. So one can imagine the no. of PRCs in the train!

"Smoke was coming out of the bag of the person beside me, and the heat burnt a hole in his bag. The carriage was full of smoke and everyone got off at Outram Park," a netizen wrote in Chinese.
Another commented that some dropped their footwear in their haste to get away.

Duan Ran, 23, who works at electronics store Smart Tab, told Wanbao that both the mobile phone and the powerbank heat up when the phone is being charged, so if they are in a sealed environment and the heat cannot escape, the device may combust.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back to Top Stories Section

Duan Ran, 23, who works at electronics store Smart Tab, told Wanbao that both the mobile phone and the powerbank heat up when the phone is being charged, so if they are in a sealed environment and the heat cannot escape, the device may combust.

Duan Ran: Is this person (potentially a PRC) now an expert in Lithium batteries? Couldn't Mypaper find an expert to comment or just too lazy and went to a neighborhood shop to ask?

Last edited:

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely and with all that mobile phone, notebooks, tablets, ipods etc etc, and that some of these batteries are fake or low quality ones, the probability that this happening is going up and up.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The holy trinity of Tiong online existence:

Weibo, QQ and Wechat.

When ATBs exchange contact details with me they always ask 'Do you have Wechat?' “你有微信吗?” :biggrin: