• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrating to find happiness, the Singaporean way

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ever noticed the politics of Happiness?

From the "MORE GOOD YEARS" by Wooden Goh to "HDB Upgrading" to "Foreign workers 'key' to Singapore's prosperity" to all the warnings of horrors under a freak General election results.

This is no much difference from the Dalai Lama or Joseph Stalin? A belief that the power that be has the power and the right to make people happy.

These happiness hawkers seem blissfully unaware of the fact that throughout history it has traditionally been the most authoritarian regimes, including Stalin’s, that promoted the politics of happiness.

Leaving aside the breathtaking banality and obviousness of the happiness gang’s 10-point plan (apparently you will be happier if you “focus on the happy moments of your life rather than the sad” and “have some purpose in your life”, etczzzz), what is most striking is the extent to which they reckon they know what’s best for us. They seriously believe that the entire populace, with our myriad problems and emotions and aspirations, can be led by the hand towards a one-size-fits-all definition of “happiness” as conjured up by them in their cut-off debates in some ivory tower. The message is clear: people are incapable of working out what is in their best interests, or even of managing their own emotions, and thus they need experts to colonise their minds and hearts and show them the way.

In the past, it was normally only tyrants who believed they had the power to “construct happiness”. They were keen on happiness promotion because they recognised that a placid, sedate, “officially happy” populace was less likely to protest, argue back or generally kick up a fuss about their lives and futures than an unhappy populace.

So in the 1950s, Stalin plastered the Soviet Union with posters that said “Glory to the Great Stalin, the Constructor of Happiness!” Another, from 1949, said “Our Beloved Stalin is the People’s Happiness!”

In the 1930s, the Hitler Youth promoted “security, comradeship and happiness”.

Kim Il-Sung considered it his duty to “ensure the prosperity of the motherland and the happiness of the people”.

Political tyrants' penchant for pre-empting dissent by constructing some BS notion of perfect social wellbeing has not gone unnoticed by authors who have ridiculed or satirised tyranny.

This goes right back to Dostoyevsky in the 1880s. His Grand Inquisitor, an authoritarian who makes an appearance in The Brothers Karamazov, says: "We have vanquished freedom, and we have done so to make men happy."

George Orwell, when he was making notes for his most famous novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four, said he was fascinated by unfree societies' promise to "provide happiness". He wrote: "A slave-world . . . would probably be a stable form of society, and the chances are that the slaves would be well-fed and contented."

In Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, one of the big clashes between the authoritarian State Controllers and the antihero, known as "the Savage", is over the issue of happiness.

"I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin," the Savage tells the State Controllers. "In fact, you're claiming the right to be unhappy," they respond.

"All right then," says the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

And so am I today. Not because I think miserabilism is good, but because I don’t believe the powers-that-be have the right to invade our emotional lives or the ability to make us happy. Happiness is not a script that we conform to; it is something we discover through our own lives and interactions.

What’s more, unhappiness, an edgy feeling of dissatisfaction, a nagging belief that there could and should be more to life than this, is frequently the motor of change – both in people’s personal lives and in the social and political worlds.

We should not let unhappiness be airbrushed from the social landscape, Stalin-style, by academics who patronisingly promise us that we will be happy if we just “go for a run” or “buy a cup of coffee for a stranger”.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...up-for-the-right-to-be-unhappy/#disqus_thread

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I have already found my happiness liao.. selling chickens in AUD.

:smile:

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've found that happiness is when you r at peace with yourself. Being in a place where you can so that. Many Miws are probably happy in Singapore but won't in another country like Australia.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I must admit I am a much better and happier person here..

In Melbourne, my wifey has her tea & cooking sessions frz and my son has his buddy-o-pal. I have a hobby - breeding my chickens.. can't complain.. I am happy :-)

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
What happiness? All i see are 3 losers very bitter dumbfuck migrants here. Lol. Talking big in internet is your only affordable pasttime now. Lol.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What happiness? All i see are 3 losers very bitter dumbfuck migrants here. Lol. Talking big in internet is your only affordable pasttime now. Lol.

Hey troll, dun be a serious-looking glummy monkey. Cheer up. Negativity affects health. Breathe easy.

I love autumns.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
to neddy's ex-wife,

good job. u should have left neddy the loser much earlier. hope your life is getting better now that there is no one else to beat u up or verbally abuse u. also i am sure u have more time on your hand now instead of like the past when u need to nag/pester/beg neddy everyday asking him to look for a job instead of playing online poker & games.

btw if neddy is not paying maintenance to u in time, let me know. i will intro some lawyer to u FOC.

take care :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Visa joy for doctor and dying wife
ANGELA POWNALL, The West Australian April 28, 2011, 5:12 am

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has granted permanent visas to a Filipino doctor and his family who had been told they could not stay in Australia unless he divorced his dying wife.
Cesar Sofocado, who initially moved to rural WA to help fill a skills shortage, said he was surprised and overwhelmed by the minister's move after the family's plight was highlighted in The West Australian on Monday.
Dr Sofocado, who works at Ellenbrook Medical Centre, had applied for permanent residency in 2008, the year before his wife Mary was diagnosed with breast cancer which has since become terminal.
Last year, the Department for Immigration and Citizenship began considering the family's visa application and Dr Sofocado was told it would be rejected because of Mrs Sofocado's terminal illness.
Dr Sofocado was told the only way he and his two daughters, aged 10 and 13, could get permanent residency would be if he divorced or legally separated from Mrs Sofocado, forcing her to leave the country and die alone in the Philippines.
Mr Bowen's spokesman said the Minister would use his powers under the Migration Act to grant Dr Sofocado and his family visas.
"The minister thinks there are compelling circumstances in the case of Dr Cesar Sofocado and believes he and his family should be helped," the spokesman said.
Dr Sofocado said he was grateful for the minister's intervention.
"It's a relief and I'm hoping that this will be the start of the good news," he said.
"We are praying for the health of my wife. I want my wife to enjoy the feeling of permanent residency.
"My kids really do not want to go back to our country because they have learnt the Australian way already."
The family moved to WA in 2005 for Dr Sofocado's job at Geraldton Regional Hospital. He worked in Dampier, Karratha and Bunbury before moving to Ellenbrook Medical Centre.
Dr Sofocado said their first case officer erred by advising them to change their application from visa subclass 175 to 176 on learning of his wife's cancer.
The 176 visa category did not allow the right to appeal against a rejection related to health matters.
Dr Sofocado's medical registration is due to expire in June.

Last edited:

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
"And so am I today. Not because I think miserabilism is good, but because I don’t believe the powers-that-be have the right to invade our emotional lives or the ability to make us happy. Happiness is not a script that we conform to; it is something we discover through our own lives and interactions.

What’s more, unhappiness, an edgy feeling of dissatisfaction, a nagging belief that there could and should be more to life than this, is frequently the motor of change – both in people’s personal lives and in the social and political worlds. "

Happiness comes from your actions and reactions. There is no nationality on this. Usually people who are do-gooders are more happy. People who sit around and complain are unhappy.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am reminded

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you decided to look beyond the imperfections.

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. -James Oppenheim (he is not a Singaporean :biggrin:)

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am reminded

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you decided to look beyond the imperfections.

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. -James Oppenheim (he is not a Singaporean :biggrin:)

to neddy loser, happiness = this month can siam pay ex-wife maintenance AGAIN.

neddy jr

Alfrescian
Loyal
to neddy loser, happiness = this month can siam pay ex-wife maintenance AGAIN.

hoi!

what has it got to do with you, better bring more money home or i will lock you out of the house. you have 12 kids to feed and cost of living going up !!!!

mr neddy,

sorry about SIFU, he does not know that you are one of those Singaporean who migrated because you do not see a future in Singapore under PAP.
SIFU is a loser who has to adopt all my 12 kids because he is Sexually Impotent Fucking Useless (S.I.F.U.)
I will scold him when he return home.

mrs sifu :(

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be happy, all you need is to lower your expectation.. - axe168, he is not a Singaporean :smile:

I am reminded

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be happy, all you need is to lower your expectation.. - axe168, he is not a Singaporean :smile:

“He is the richest who is content with the least”

Socrates quotes (Ancient Greek Philosopher, 470 BC-399 BC) (Definitely not Singaporean either)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
“He is the richest who is not content with the power”
Old man quote - he is a Singaporean in a cul-de-sac

Hehe..

Socrates quotes (Ancient Greek Philosopher, 470 BC-399 BC) (Definitely not Singaporean either)

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah lau

Just bought a Harley Davidson for some weekend fun. Prices here too cheap liao what to do? I now have 3 cars, a house, a vacation condo in Florida w/18 ft bowrider there, AND WE ARE BUILDING A 5135 SQ FT 5 BEDROOM 6 BATH HOUSE WITH cabana (changing room) AND 4 car garage, pool w/spa, sauna, and elevator inside, butler pantry, island kitchen w/viking appliances and sub zero fridge, AND a home theater w/ integrated smart networking Woooooo Hooooooo life is sugar sweet

Tell Socrates and the old man to kiss my ass.

I'm in heaven

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lau

Just bought a Harley Davidson for some weekend fun. Prices here too cheap liao what to do? I now have 3 cars, a house, a vacation condo in Florida w/18 ft bowrider there, AND WE ARE BUILDING A 5135 SQ FT 5 BEDROOM 6 BATH HOUSE WITH cabana (changing room) AND 4 car garage, pool w/spa, sauna, and elevator inside, butler pantry, island kitchen w/viking appliances and sub zero fridge, AND a home theater w/ integrated smart networking Woooooo Hooooooo life is sugar sweet

I'm in heaven

To have or to be Erich Fromm.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you land size is small leh - big hse with no backyard ? My land size is 9967 SQ FT.. 7km from CBD..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah lau

I'm in heaven

Material well being is past me. I have enough, anymore is excessive. :biggrin:
It is good to build a lift in the house - for old people. But where do you keep the electrical room.
For me, I will build a very thick-walled electrical room so that I do not get fried in my own house. :biggrin:

After getting rich, it is time to think of philanthropy.