• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mia Tan is upset with PAP

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish our government will grow a heart, two ears and two eyes.

By Mia Tan
When I enrolled in the National University of Singapore (NUS), my friends who didn't score at least a B3 for the General Paper (GP) subject had to attempt an English bridging module, and must continue retaking it until they finally pass the damn paper before they are allowed to graduate.
A girl friend scored 2As and 2Bs, however because she flunked her GP she wasn't even allowed to apply for admission to local public universities.
So my question is this, why are we giving away free scholarships plus living allowances to students particularly from china, despite their brilliant results, when they can only speak a smattering of the English language? I welcome competition yes, but hey let's compete on fair ground.
I don't expect the government to grant us special privileges but in this instance they are obviously shortchanging its own people. Other universities accept foreign students not only because of good grades but also possibly due to them paying higher tuition fees. In Singapore, foreigners get to study for free and can simply depart once they have earned their degrees.
I was on a long haul flight home from USA sometime back; whilst stopping over in Hong Kong an auntie from China got on next to me. She couldn't understand the contents of an immigration form issued to her, so I offered to help translate stuff. Along the way, I learnt her daughter was awarded a scholarship to study at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). She subsequently remarked, "Your country is so small, it ain't even anywhere near the size of a Chinese city, what if my daughter is unable to find a job? I wanted her to study in the United States, then again since Singapore is handing out free scholarships, why not? Besides it would be easier for me to fly over and visit her. I will surely advise her to go work in America upon graduating."
I almost tore up the form in front of her.
What I have narrated above was true. I am not xenophobic; I welcome competition and foreigners, I just don't want to be tossed a mere wooden stick to fight when others are equipped with swords and shields..... only to be later slapped with accusations of mediocrity when I end up not winning!

https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/04/i-wish-our-government-will-grow-heart.html?m=1

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want our government to grow "a heart, two ears and two years", you, irrespective of gender, must first grow a pair of balls.

It's a calling to join the Opposition. If not, at least set yourself apart from the 61%. :rolleyes:

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumb,papigs is try to make local less educated ,so they are bottom tier to support growth n at the same time open leg policies for foreigners n PRs to leech with most 3rd class world degree or fakes ,as papihs knows that these group cones n goes, in the end poor local will be around to support economy,so who the boss,lol

Poseidon

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Mia Tan expresses frustration over the perceived unfair treatment of local students in Singapore compared to foreign students, particularly regarding scholarships and admission criteria. She also highlighted a personal encounter with a Chinese parent benefiting from a Singaporean scholarship and express a desire for the government to address these concerns.

who did her parents vote for?

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
I told you already. These PAP ministers are whole bunch taxpayer's money wasting clowns. Good luck with engaging the society system managing by them. I will leave sg and stay in Malaysia, so much better.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The minsiters' sons and daughters are not the least bit affected. They can always opt for Ivy league or Oxbridge education if they don't get into NUS SMU or NTU. That's a fact!

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Mia Tan
When I enrolled in the National University of Singapore (NUS), my friends who didn't score at least a B3 for the General Paper (GP) subject had to attempt an English bridging module, and must continue retaking it until they finally pass the damn paper before they are allowed to graduate.
A girl friend scored 2As and 2Bs, however because she flunked her GP she wasn't even allowed to apply for admission to local public universities.
So my question is this, why are we giving away free scholarships plus living allowances to students particularly from china, despite their brilliant results, when they can only speak a smattering of the English language? I welcome competition yes, but hey let's compete on fair ground.
I don't expect the government to grant us special privileges but in this instance they are obviously shortchanging its own people. Other universities accept foreign students not only because of good grades but also possibly due to them paying higher tuition fees. In Singapore, foreigners get to study for free and can simply depart once they have earned their degrees.
I was on a long haul flight home from USA sometime back; whilst stopping over in Hong Kong an auntie from China got on next to me. She couldn't understand the contents of an immigration form issued to her, so I offered to help translate stuff. Along the way, I learnt her daughter was awarded a scholarship to study at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). She subsequently remarked, "Your country is so small, it ain't even anywhere near the size of a Chinese city, what if my daughter is unable to find a job? I wanted her to study in the United States, then again since Singapore is handing out free scholarships, why not? Besides it would be easier for me to fly over and visit her. I will surely advise her to go work in America upon graduating."
I almost tore up the form in front of her.
What I have narrated above was true. I am not xenophobic; I welcome competition and foreigners, I just don't want to be tossed a mere wooden stick to fight when others are equipped with swords and shields..... only to be later slapped with accusations of mediocrity when I end up not winning!

https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/04/i-wish-our-government-will-grow-heart.html?m=1
...must ask who her parents voted for? This is nothing new, our open leg policy have been gg on for donkey years...Free education, + free pocket $ every month...even Mauritius can get scholarship....

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dumb Cheebye Sinkies. Does she know foreigners create good jobs for Sinkie ?

PAP:
"Every school is a good school.
Every job is a good job.
Good jobs like Safe Distancing Ambassadors, Tray Return Ambassadors
Gig jobs like food deliverymen, PHV drivers, security officers and
sanitation officers (toilet cleaners, hawker stall cleaners)
Don't complain."

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I empathise with those who didn't make it to Universities because they flunked GP.
GP is not a test of command of English alone. The syllabus for GP is too wide ranging.
Generally, students between 18 and 21years are too young to be knowledgeable of even a little bit of everything.
Too few are like LKY but too many are like Vivian Balakrishnan and K. Shanmugam.

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
The insignificant nobody me respects her for writing out her personal feelings, presumably to help her friend whom had a hard time with learning the commerce lingo of the World - English.

However, I cannot accept her misconceptions of MOE which can be conceived as misleading information only worthy to tarnish our nation & education system, more so as she claims to an undergraduate at our prestigious NUS, which only few can aspire to reach it & unworthy of this diatribe from her which will only mislead many more Singaporean born & bred hardworking & intelligent kids.

1. There is NOTHING FREE in this World. Scholarships which may seemed to be freely given by our govt, comes with STRINGS attached. Any one, regardless if citizens or foreign students, WILL have to serve a BOND of a few long years to our Nation's service - be it as a butcher in our critically manage food industries, a doctor in our Armed Forces, in *A Star to help in advancing scientific achievements, or in prestigious EDB to advance our economic aims, or else pay every single cent of our Taxpayers fund if they want to break the BOND.

2. Based upon sense of scale, only few would be able to enter China's or India's University, where their population are in billions, even if they obtained straight As. Thus there would be many FELLOW Humans whom had shown intelligence but sadly only denied entry & OPPORTUNITY for further studies, to ENHANCE their Human potential.

This is where our intelligent MOE will come in. Help them, & hopefully they may help advance our Singapore Civilization, even during the short term of their BONDED service. In terms of SBF rather crude lingo - can eat don't waste..

3. As for undergraduates from China, they are NOT Singapore citizens. Once their bond is completed, they will return to China, & China is well known as a closed society, where INFORMATION is tightly regulated, & English though widely used is unfortunately politically limited there. We Singapore do not owe them a living, nor wish to harm their societal perceptions of their own country which they will have to return eventually, a FREEDOM we Singapore offer to them, to do their best here.

Only by leading from EXAMPLE, will these yet to mature kids grow into adulthood realize REALITIES, as Free Will is respected here in Singapore, so long as each here follows the basic golden rule - to not do unto others what one does not want others to do to them...

4. Many of those foreigners whom graduated here, will serve out their BOND in the civil service, & placed in positions where language is not an issue or cannot be upgraded for better communication awareness. They will certainly NOT serve as waiters, receptionists, etc, more so with the funds provided to ensure that they can reach their potential in educated mental awareness here without any personal economic distractions.

5. In her terms of 'swords & shields', had our forefathers & founding fathers, & especially our hardworking taxpayers thru social expenditure & ELECTED legislators, over years, been negligent in providing not just education but even child birth allowances - male & female, employment benefits & many such more, seen by many other envious foreigners worldwide as benefits from cradle to grave?.....

In the end, it is my hope that Lady Mia Tan grows what she aspires our govt to have. & especially the intelligence to keep in touch with REALITIES...

Last edited: