• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Many small hawkers uplorry

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss John can go head hunting for satik Citi or UBS bankers to list his Food BUSINESS in US thru SPAC?
Then you must suck more dicks lah. Your mouth not big enough? Then talk less here, and save energy for bigger cocks

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there is no issues to raise price so long there is no collusion. However many hawkers do no know their rights and they are threatened by government officers

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Was referring to small businesses like hawkers getting screwed, in relation to the initial post by TS. Still, I appreciate you letting me know about consumption habits 100 years ago.:biggrin:

I don't think hawkers are getting screwed. Most of them and myself have raised prices over the years due to inflation of raw ingredients cost, staff salary increment, rent increase or gst. Most of us are still doing fine

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main reason is inflation but they cannot simply up the price because government will go after them and asking them many questions.

Therefore those older hawkers just simply close shops.

Tekan by both inflation and government officers who keep interrogating them about price increase

Tak boleh Tahan
I thought this is a free market economy!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
E-commerce firm Lazada laid off some staff from its Singapore office on Jan 3, The Edge Singapore understands.

Junior and senior employees from multiple departments, including the commercial and marketing teams, were affected.

The Edge Singapore understands employees received calendar invites for individual meetings with the human resources department on Jan 3 at the end of the Jan 2 work day.

While it is unclear how many employees have been laid off so far, the retrenchment exercise could last until Jan 5. One affected employee, who asked to remain anonymous, tells The Edge Singapore that meeting rooms have been reserved by HR for the remainder of the week.

Last August, former chief executive officer of Lazada Singapore Loh Wee Lee left the company. In an email statement to The Edge Singapore on Jan 3, Loh says he had decided to move on to new opportunities outside of Lazada.

Loh has since relocated to Hong Kong and is now group chief digital officer at DFI Retail Group, part of the Jardine Matheson conglomerate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-unit-lazada-marks-new-year-layoffs-singapore
It's not just lazada. Those who bought cargo planes in the midst of pandemic are suffering too.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies aren't getting screwed. Most sinkies spend only a small fraction of their total income on food every month. And nearly all sinkies I know eat meat at least two meals daily. A hundred years ago, most of their ancestors were vegetarians because meat was too expensive for daily consumption.
a hundred years later, there are people who view eating meat as less conscious and less evolved habit so they ditch meat and eat consciously, and not because of being expensive. More and more vegetarian eateries in sg now.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
a hundred years later, there are people who view eating meat as less conscious and less evolved habit so they ditch meat and eat consciously, and not because of being expensive. More and more vegetarian eateries in sg now.

I offer vegan food catering. Most of my clientale and vegan food chefs aren't vegetarian but they don't mind vegan food.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is same like papigs say salary not enough must increase pay n bonuses, whereas the ridout Rd guy as u 3 meals want to eat where restaurant ,hawker?

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
COE up
ERP up
Property Tax up
Utilities up
Rental up
Transport up
GST up
Cost of raw materials up

Low ses coolie gene Sinkies expect hawker food price to remain. WTF.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, those PAP technocrats actually sent their lackeys to interrogate the hawkers about price increases? What a fucked up regime. :rolleyes:

It's like a man raping a woman, then latter scolding the woman for being so careless and immoral, and letting other people rape her. :o-o:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Government monitoring businesses to stop them from using increased costs as excuse to profiteer: DPM Wong​

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I don't think hawkers are getting screwed. Most of them and myself have raised prices over the years due to inflation of raw ingredients cost, staff salary increment, rent increase or gst. Most of us are still doing fine
You are a not a hawker lah. You are a towkay of a huge catering business who's well connected. I won't be surprised if you have either a PBM, BBM, or BBM (Bar). Or even all of them!:biggrin: