• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mandatory wearing of seat-belts in backseats

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/tampines-crash-they-were-not-there-any-more

It seems wearing of seat belts for back seat passengers is NOT MANDATORY in Singapore. The fatal accident at Tampines showed the importance of always wearing seat belts for back seat passengers. The 2 teens were flung out the back windows when the car overturned. They would still be alive if they had worn seat belts!

She climbed out of the car and saw the bodies of the girls "lying on top of each other" after having "smashed through the back windows" of the car.

Their faces were "smashed very badly", added Miss Wix.

In NZ, wearing of seat belts is mandatory even for back seat passengers.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure whether it is required by law or not - all I can say that it is not enforced, or that the authorities are not serious about it. Back in Canada, my kid automatically buckles up when seated in the rear, but in Singapore, influenced by her cousins, its a playground in the back seat - anything goes.

Cheers!

It seems wearing of seat belts for back seat passengers is NOT MANDATORY in Singapore......................

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is compulsory but only sporadically enforced. Incidentally, if you are the driver and your passengers (front and back) are caught without their seats belt on, you bear part of the responsibility and are liable.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
got 1 time, sum yrs back, muz wear 1 ...

dat time, took cab, kraftyz colleague warned me 2 wear ... if not can kena fine ...

den, after dat, slowly, slowly, never bother 2 wear ... cabbie oso bo chup ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nothing positive ever comes from going "clubbing".

If they had stayed at home and read a good book, they'd still be alive and they would have improved their general knowledge and their command of the English language at the same time.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/tampines-crash-they-were-not-there-any-more
It seems wearing of seat belts for back seat passengers is NOT MANDATORY in Singapore. The fatal accident at Tampines showed the importance of always wearing seat belts for back seat passengers. The 2 teens were flung out the back windows when the car overturned. They would still be alive if they had worn seat belts!

Fastening rear seat belts is mandatory in Singapore.

The Seat Belt Traffic Rules in Singapore

The seat belt traffic rules in Singapore was implemented since 1993. All vehicles registered on or after 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Jan 1993, must have rear seat belts. Traffic Police of Singapore has been carry out frequent enforcing measure and educating the public on how importance that seat belts can save the lives, especially on the rear seat belts.

All passengers, including the children sitting at the rear of the car will need to have their seat belt on. In Singapore, any children below the age of 8 will need to be seated in a child safety seat The reason for enforcing children below the age of 8 to sit inside the child safety seat is

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing positive ever comes from going "clubbing".

If they had stayed at home and read a good book, they'd still be alive and they would have improved their general knowledge and their command of the English language at the same time.

Agree....these young girls go clubbing to be squeezed, fondled and generally molested and to get drunk, and create a scene.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Agree....these young girls go clubbing to be squeezed, fondled and generally molested and to get drunk, and create a scene.

You should see the the sort of bengs that these girls mix with. It's disgusting. They're just asking for trouble.

If LKY was still in charge, he'd put a stop to this decadent "clubbing" and moral laxity immediately. Young people should only be allowed to participate in healthy activities. Perhaps a curfew should be imposed on all those below the age of 21 which requires them to be home by 10 pm latest.

734365_4393310921365_1742161162_n.jpg

482816_4393295800987_363403946_n.jpg

156089_4393301201122_419548775_n.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
now people stay home to facebook, aren't you old!

Facebook is inane and a waste of time. In the 60s and 70s, the facebook equivalent at the time was gossiping on the phone for hours or writing sweet nothings to imaginary pen pals. The medium has changed but the banality of the activity has not.

Plenty of intelligent young people read. The difference is that they download their books instead of borrowing them from the library.

I have at least 200 e-books on my iPad and I'm often reading 4 or 5 at the same time. That's why I'm so smart while most of the members here are dimwits.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Facebook is inane and a waste of time. In the 60s and 70s, the facebook equivalent at the time was gossiping on the phone for hours or writing sweet nothings to imaginary pen pals. The medium has changed but the banality of the activity has not.

Plenty of intelligent young people read. The difference is that they download their books instead of borrowing them from the library.

I have at least 200 e-books on my iPad and I'm often reading 4 or 5 at the same time. That's why I'm so smart while most of the members here are dimwits.

I whole heartedly agreed. facebook is crap and nothing but electronic gossipping by crap lazy se;fish stupid people who have too much time to spare and it is essenyially narccissitic people showing off what stupid food they are eating or places they are going or stupid selfies. basically it is shameless low class people who facebook . Look what it did to Anton Casey!!! ruin his life and his family.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When my kids were young, this was one issue I absolutely would NOT compromise on. Get into the child seat / booster and belt up or get out of the car. If they won't get out of the car, I won't drive off. I didn't care what the cousins, uncles, aunts or even my wife did. I was often cast as the bad guy, of course, but at least they have now got a set of habits which I hope will keep them alive longer.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. Most people are like that.

Cheers!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When my kids were young, this was one issue I absolutely would NOT compromise on. Get into the child seat / booster and belt up or get out of the car. If they won't get out of the car, I won't drive off. I didn't care what the cousins, uncles, aunts or even my wife did. I was often cast as the bad guy, of course, but at least they have now got a set of habits which I hope will keep them alive longer.

Same here. No seatbelt, no go. Rear and front passengers, no exception. I always say that the owner/driver of the car is responsible under TP rules for ensuring that all passengers are belted up.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's good and firm leadership. However when I first came back to Singapore, the early years I did not drive, it was my bro-in-law who took us around, and he was lax when it came to child discipline. My child belts up when sitting in the front passgenger seat, but doesn't when seated in the rear, same as everyone else I know here.

Cheers!

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here. No seatbelt, no go. Rear and front passengers, no exception. I always say that the owner/driver of the car is responsible under TP rules for ensuring that all passengers are belted up.
Adult passengers not wearing seat belts in back seats are responsible not the driver.

In UK anyone age over 14 is liable for NOT wearing seatbelts, not the responsibility of the driver.
http://www.dorsetroadsafe.org.uk/received-a-ticket/seat-belts/seat-belts-the-law

The reluctance of people in backseats risking their lives by NOT using the seat belts available is just plain stupid mentality. The two teen girls died needlessly because of that laziness to wear the seat belts.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Adult passengers not wearing seat belts in back seats are responsible not the driver.

In UK anyone age over 14 is liable for NOT wearing seatbelts, not the responsibility of the driver.
http://www.dorsetroadsafe.org.uk/received-a-ticket/seat-belts/seat-belts-the-law

Not here. In Singapore, the driver is responsible.

Driver and passengers to wear seat belts
4.—(1) Except as provided by rule 6, the driver and every passenger of a motor vehicle to which these Rules apply shall wear a body-restraining seat belt or a lap belt where such a seat belt or lap belt is available for his use.
(2) The body-restraining seat belt shall be worn by the driver and every passenger of a motor vehicle to which these Rules apply in such a manner as to provide restraint for both the upper and lower parts of the trunk of the wearer in the event of an accident to the vehicle.

Driver to ensure passengers comply with rule 4
5. Subject to rule 6, the driver of a motor vehicle to which these Rules apply shall ensure that every passenger on that motor vehicle complies with rule 4.

Exemption
6. Rule 4 shall not apply to a person who —
(a)
is below 1.35 metres in height; or

(b)
is medically exempted under rule 7 from wearing a seat belt.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not here. In Singapore, the driver is responsible.

yes, driver will be penalized (points deducted) if any passenger does not belt up

and for passenger who does not belt up, if that passenger holds valid driving license he will also be penalized (points deducted)

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... if that passenger holds valid driving license he will also be penalized (points deducted)
if that passenger got no valid driving license? ...

if that passenger got valid driving license but not holding it leh? ...