• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2009-10

LauMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good luck, but Torres is out for the season, and Kyut and N Gog are both doubts for the Europa league team against A. Madrid.
Pool play on Thursday night and have to play Chelsea on Sunday.
Dooesn't look good for Man Utd in my opinion.

Agreed. The Premier League title is Chelsea's to lose. But their game at Liverpool will decide the Premiership. I am adamant to believe that Liverpool is capable to hold Chelsea to a draw at their own turf and the rest is up to MU to do their parts. Basing on this belief, I just throw 100 for the fun of it. But again, if Liverpool is not determine or motivated to fight, then I said it’s my bad luck ……

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
A leaked image of what could be Manchester United’s new home kit
for the 2010/11 season has emerged.
The shirts do not feature the chevron that is currently
used on the current shirt.
A traditional red Manchester United shirt featuring a white collar
with the new AON shirt sponsor gracing the front of the Red Devils shirts. The nike logo is featured on the top right part of the chest
while the club crest placed on the opposite left.

manuhomecopy.jpg

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is another leaked image showing what could probably be the Manchester United away kit for next season.
The away shirt is mainly white featuring a round white collar and black
and red patches on the shoulders and sleeves.
Looks ugly!!:eek:

manutdawaycopy.jpg

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
the title will go down to the last match of the season.

Man Utd vs Stoke City
Chelsea vs Wigan Athletic

both matches start at the same time,so no team will have any advantage.
Good Luck To All Red Devils here !

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
By STEVE BRENNER and PHIL THOMAS
Published: Today

ALEX FERGUSON accused Steven Gerrard of "gifting" Chelsea victory at Anfield yesterday.
Kop skipper Gerrard set up Didier Drogba's opener with a terrible back pass - and now Chelsea are 1-14 ON to win the title on Sunday.

United boss Fergie, whose dream of overtaking bitter rivals Liverpool's 18 titles looks over, said: "I just saw it after the game. It was a great gift.

"There is nothing you can do about it. You just have to get on with it."

Drogba latched on to Gerrard's blunder to put Chelsea ahead after 33 minutes and Frank Lampard added a second in an easy 2-0 victory.

Drogba admitted: "Gerrard made a big mistake. I was lucky to be there and score.

"It was good because this goal gave us a lot of confidence to play well."

Now Fergie admits United are "clutching at straws" despite their 1-0 victory at Sunderland.

United must beat Stoke at Old Trafford and hope Chelsea fail to beat Wigan at Stamford Bridge.

Fergie said: "You never know what can happen. Football is a crazy game.

"Manchester City did us a great turn by beating Chelsea twice and Wigan are another neighbour, but listen, we know we are clutching at straws a little bit."

Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti said: "It was a key game in the fight for the title and we played very well - we deserved to win.

"There was a period in the first half that Liverpool played well but the second was much better.

"Defensively we did a fantastic job and had a lot of opportunities on the counter-attack after that.

"It is never easy to play here. They have very good players and there's always a fantastic atmosphere.

"It is the first time here for me and I will always have a good memory of it.

"The team's shown good mentality and a good physicality. Now we have to train well this week and wait."

Fergie added: "All we can do is win our game against Stoke.

"Obviously, I would not insult Wigan in any shape or form because they are a really good football team and they will have a go. But the important thing is for us to win our game and enjoy it."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...of-gifting-Chelsea-victory.html#ixzz0mq2bYZuu

G

Ginchiyo Tachibana

Man Utd clutching at straws

May 3, 2010

Man Utd clutching at straws

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line --> SUNDERLAND - SIR Alex Ferguson admits Manchester United are 'clutching at straws' in their bid to win the Premier League for a record fourth consecutive time. But the Old Trafford boss insists his team will push Chelsea all the way after setting up a dramatic last-day shootout to decide the destiny of the title. Portuguese midfielder Nani struck before half-time to seal a comfortable 1-0 win at mid-table Sunderland on Sunday to pull within a point of Carlo Ancelotti's leaders, albeit with a vastly inferior goal difference, ahead of Sunday's final round of fixtures.

United must beat Stoke, who were humbled 7-0 at Stamford Bridge last month, and hope the hugely inconsistent Wigan, who beat Chelsea at home in September, pull off a major shock to deny the Blues a first title in four years. Ferguson admits it is a highly unlikely scenario as, for the fifth time, the Premier League heads into its final weekend with the title still up for grabs. The Scot, who wasn't this time indulging in his famed mind games, more just stating facts, said: 'All we can do is to win our game next week but we're clutching at straws a little bit.'

The towel hasn't yet been thrown in and Ferguson retains some hope of a footballing miracle taking place at the weekend to pave the way to a record 19th top-flight title. He added: 'Wigan are a very good football team and they'll go to Chelsea and have a go so you never know what could happen. It's a crazy game. Manchester City did us a favour in beating Chelsea twice this season and Wigan are another neighbour of ours so we'll see.' Ferguson insists United must take care of business against at home to a Stoke side beset by internal dressing-room strife before turning their attention to events at Stamford Bridge, and he added:

'The most important thing is for us to win our game and enjoy it. We're in front of our own fans, there'll be 76,000 there and we'll play the right way and we'll play with a lot of dignity. You never know what might happen.
'It would be an incredible achievement because I don't think four in a row won't be done again. The fight goes on.' --AFP

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jose Mourinho.
He has a huge ego, he talks too much to the press, and he knows how to handle big players, sometimes with a soft touch and sometimes with an iron fist.
Man Utd need a manager with all 3 qualities.
David Moyes is the kind of manager who does well with limited resources, good at spotting players with potential, good at shuffling his squad, good at churning out results in difficult games, but he lacks european experience and he's not good at handling difficult players. A little like O'Neill, Allardyce, Bruce.
I suspect that Fergie has endorsed Moyes, because he still wants to be involved at the club at some level, and Moyes might just let him have his say once in a while. I can't see Mourinho letting anyone but himself have any say at any club he manages.

If Mou takes over, the youth academy could be in trouble. You'll not be able to attract let alone retain young talents.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Mou takes over, the youth academy could be in trouble. You'll not be able to attract let alone retain young talents.

It's the team that's in trouble. Half of the backbone are eligible for old folks home. I didn't hear anything about Teddy Sheringham interested, but I think he's the shrewdest around with a Manchester United background.

Manchester United has relied too much on Alex Ferguson over past two decades, and Ferguson has relied on a core of aging players too much over the recent years. There was no timely and lengendary transitions like Bill Shankly to Bob Paisley, Kevin Keegan to Kenny Dalglish, John Toshack to Ian Rush, Ray Clemence to Bruce Grobbelaar at Liverpool in the 70s.

For the next season, Manchester United is looking like prime candidate for next to be knocked off ECL at group stage and fall off the League Top 4.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
depending on what Man U do this post season. They need new blood in goalkeeper and midfielder.

giggs and scholes cannot be replaced - and you actually need time to groom the youngster. Glad that Nani is finally showing some promise - unless he gets his head turned by Real Madrid. Thats one reason why Fergie sign Giggs one more season, for Nani to prove his consistency.

If rumors is true that Fergie wants to sign Modric - he will be replacement for Scholes - but on this aspect- i reserve my judgment. Of all the signings from Tottenham, only Sheringham was a gem -but alas he was signed too late into his playing age although he did made significant contribution during their treble-winning season. The other player - Carrick - has faded some what. I hope if they do sign Modric ....

Goalie is someone Fergie definitely need to sign- both Kukucheow and Ben Foster are not good enough. We need someone proven. VDS next season will be shaky - you have to bow to age no matter what.

Striker wise, he has already Henandaz and if he can be partnered with Rooney and Macheda...you actually don't need a striker urgently (vis-a-vis midfielder attacking and goalie).

Neville can fuck off for all I care - because he is really, irrelevant already. I will challenge Fergie to throw Rafael into the role and give him some games. With experience, he will improve and together with Evra - made a good pairing. Central defenders - provided Vidic don't get his head turned as well - shld be okay with Ferdinand (if he is fit) , Evans and Smalling - so its okay.

Regarding Fergie's successor - as I have posted above, I won't give Moyes the vote - come on, I think Hodgson is more qualified when it comes to managing on shoe-string budget. Moreover, he brought Fulham into Euro cup final (ahem not even Liverpool do that). And if they do actually win it (which I doubt), Hodgson's value will rise.

To manage a team as big as Man U, you need to have character, you need to have guts and you need to have balls. Mourinho have them. Look at the way he treat Bortello (the wayward striker he has at Inter). Results speak loudest - he has beaten Barcalona, Chelsea in European matches. And his preparation before matches are detailed. And best of all, he has his own character - he is arrogant.

for youth system - I think its becoming more common that youth academies are for breeding players for sale - the days of grooming players through to first team are gone. If you look at the top 4 teams in BPL, how many players in the first teams are graduates from their Youth Academy? Few. Most of the youth players are sold to other teams and they themselves buy youths from other teams....the grass is greener on the other side syndrome.

This is inevitable unless there is some sort of regulations in place to stop this.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Moreover, he brought Fulham into Euro cup final (ahem not even Liverpool do that). And if they do actually win it (which I doubt), Hodgson's value will rise.

Your mention of Roy Hodgson in preference to David Moyes in the manner of managing on a shoestring suddenly reminded me of Man United's one-time Assistant Manager Steve McClaren.

Like Hodgson, he also created waves when round after round, he prevailed & brought Middlesborough all the way to the UEFA Cup final only to be found out by Sevilla 0-4 !

He has made news again this season by beating the big boys like Martin Jol's Ajax to the Dutch League Title as FC Twente's manager .... is he that good or was he just unlucky during his England months ?

We shall see if Roy Hodgson's Fulham fairy tale have a happy ending - afterall Roy has coached everywhere, even at Inter & being coach of Switzerland.

So back to McClaren - how about him :biggrin: as Fergie's eventual successor?

Man U will be getting an ex-United Asst Manager, an ex-England Manager & an Englishman who has won a Foreign First Division League Title (like Bobby Robson at Porto & PSV & Terry Venables at Barca) ....

Sounds good on paper .... but too bad his name is Steve McClaren ..LOL !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man U will be getting an ex-United Asst Manager, an ex-England Manager & an Englishman who has won a Foreign First Division League Title (like Bobby Robson at Porto & PSV & Terry Venables at Barca) ....

Actually, despite all the ridicules arising from the disappointments from England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008, Steve McClaren had done reasonably well with limited resources up to the last two qualifying games, falling 1:2 to Russia and 2:3 to Croatia by their comebacks. Uncannily similar to Alex Ferguson falling to Bayern Munich over two legs both by their comebacks. That showed depletion of resources more than anything.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, despite all the ridicules arising from the disappointments from England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008, Steve McClaren had done reasonably well with limited resources up to the last two qualifying games, falling 1:2 to Russia and 2:3 to Croatia by their comebacks. Uncannily similar to Alex Ferguson falling to Bayern Munich over two legs both by their comebacks. That showed depletion of resources more than anything.

The 'Wally with the Brolly' - uncannily similar to Alex Ferguson .... ha ha !
Depletion of resources is your theory, but the lack of discipline in the team, the indecisiveness in use of formation are other theories as well ....:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nein, he may have been good as Fergie's no. 2 at OT but never really impressed on his own steam on england's shores. Great he cornered Ajax in land of windmills, but think MU needs a less colourless bloke:p
red amoeba said:
Neville can fuck off for all I care - because he is really, irrelevant already. I will challenge Fergie to throw Rafael into the role and give him some games. With experience, he will improve and together with Evra - made a good pairing. Central defenders - provided Vidic don't get his head turned as well - shld be okay with Ferdinand (if he is fit) , Evans and Smalling -
Good asssesment for possibilities ahead:wink: If only combative Hargreaves get back to his old self (minus his MC)

jw5

Loyal
I've seen both Ferguson and Hodgson wearing raincoats, shouting instructions to their respective teams from the touchline with rain dripping down their faces.
McClaren is the last person Man Utd needs, it's not so much the silliness of carrying an umbrella, how do you think the players feel when they see the manager carrying an umbrella while they are fighting it out in the rain?

On Hargreaves, he's one of the best defensive midfield players in the world. He's not only capable of breaking up the oppositions' attacks, but he can also run forward with the ball and make short incisive passes. A really good player if he can regain full fitness and form.

LauMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
MANCHESTER UNITED NEWS
Ferguson set to axe players
By Soccernet staff

Sir Alex Ferguson has announced plans to allow "one or two" players to leave Manchester United at the end of the season to freshen up the squad.
United look set to miss out on a fourth consecutive Premier League title as they go into the final weekend a point behind Chelsea, and their Champions League hopes ended with a quarter-final exit to Bayern Munich.

Many believe United need to add new options in attack, with Dimitar Berbatov in particular coming under fire. Ferguson has repeatedly defended the £30.75 million signing from Tottenham, but he was unhappy with his team's "careless" finishing at Sunderland this weekend and added: "Dimitar could have scored four."

Ferguson has not named any of the players he expects to move on this summer but Berbatov and goalkeeper Ben Foster appear to be among the candidates as the manager attempts to freshen up his team.
"You have to take a decision about where we can improve the team," he told MUTV. "When you are challenging for four trophies, it can have a draining effect.

"You have to be aware of that and spot the moment when it is time to freshen up one or two players. It is not a desire to do it but you need to do it because the demands and pressures on players can, over time, be quite exacting."
Ferguson believes, however, that there is already a wealth of young talent available for next season and suggested that major changes will not be necessary.
"People don't recognise that we've signed three players for £20 million already," he said. "Young Chris Smalling from Fulham has signed for us, Mame Diouf has done well, and Javier Hernandez from Mexico will join us after the World Cup.
"Those are three young players whose futures are guaranteed at this club. There are others who come into that bracket like Jonny Evans, Federico Macheda, Gabriel Obertan, Danny Welbeck and Darron Gibson, so we have a good nucleus and foundation of players who can carry the club for a long time."

Ferguson's comments come after United chief executive David Gill's confirmation that they are already in the process of planning further arrivals.

"I can look you in the eye and tell you straight that we have the transfer funds available to the manager," he told the Manchester United Disabled Supporters Association magazine. "Targets have been discussed already, but it's not our style to talk about names and it never will be."

Base on this report, we could be seeing the exit of Berbatov and Ben foster at the end of the season? And looks like Fergie is not buying even if these 2 were to leave MU at the end of the season.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've seen both Ferguson and Hodgson wearing raincoats, shouting instructions to their respective teams from the touchline with rain dripping down their faces.
McClaren is the last person Man Utd needs, it's not so much the silliness of carrying an umbrella, how do you think the players feel when they see the manager carrying an umbrella while they are fighting it out in the rain?...
Read somewhere that he didn't want to blur his vision and that was the excuse for the umbrella He brought fresh ideas to the way MU played and like Brian Kidd and Queiroz after him. he was tipped to succeed Fergie. Compared to Queiroz and Kidd, the guy had some degree of 'success' at club level.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
depending on what Man U do this post season. They need new blood in goalkeeper and midfielder.
If rumors is true that Fergie wants to sign Modric - he will be replacement for Scholes - but on this aspect- i reserve my judgment. The other player - Carrick - has faded some what. I hope if they do sign Modric ....

Striker wise, he has already Henandaz and if he can be partnered with Rooney and Macheda...you actually don't need a striker urgently (vis-a-vis midfielder attacking and goalie).

To manage a team as big as Man U, you need to have character, you need to have guts and you need to have balls. Mourinho have them. Look at the way he treat Bortello (the wayward striker he has at Inter). Results speak loudest - he has beaten Barcalona, Chelsea in European matches. And his preparation before matches are detailed. And best of all, he has his own character - he is arrogant.

for youth system - I think its becoming more common that youth academies are for breeding players for sale - the days of grooming players through to first team are gone. If you look at the top 4 teams in BPL, how many players in the first teams are graduates from their Youth Academy? Few. Most of the youth players are sold to other teams and they themselves buy youths from other teams....the grass is greener on the other side syndrome.

This is inevitable unless there is some sort of regulations in place to stop this.

Modric at what price or is he helping his buddy out @ Spurs with cash. What happened to the talent scouts we have?Dun think Modric will be replacement for Scholes. Its Anderson unless the old fart has a change of plans.Modric is a creative player which United need.

Hernandez and Macheda are untested especially over 50 or more Cup and league games. We need a top class striker as the goals from Rooney will surely dry up.Even if we have a surplus of strikers, Rooney can play the creative role in midfield.

The Youth System is far from just 'breeding players for sale'. They act as a ballast or new inventory if you like that can be called upon when you have an injury crisis-think Frederico Macheda. On top of that it helps moderate escalating wage cost and demands of players. We dun have a rich sugar daddy like Abram. to back us. Spending the way Chelsea did is not sustainable in the long run.
The reason why there were few graduates from most youth academies is simply becos they are not good enough and they lack the quality and consistency to play at the highest level.

SwineHunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
030510_php6u7Q7J.jpg

Frank Lampard (2nd from right) celebrates his goal as Chelsea close in on their their first Premier League title in four years. - AFP

030510_phpzO5cpo.jpg

Manchester United set up a dramatic last-day shoot-out with Chelsea for the English Premier League title after Nani (1st from left) struck to seal a 1-0 win. - AFP

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Modric at what price or is he helping his buddy out @ Spurs with cash. What happened to the talent scouts we have?Dun think Modric will be replacement for Scholes. Its Anderson unless the old fart has a change of plans.Modric is a creative player which United need.

Hernandez and Macheda are untested especially over 50 or more Cup and league games. We need a top class striker as the goals from Rooney will surely dry up.Even if we have a surplus of strikers, Rooney can play the creative role in midfield.

The Youth System is far from just 'breeding players for sale'. They act as a ballast or new inventory if you like that can be called upon when you have an injury crisis-think Frederico Macheda. On top of that it helps moderate escalating wage cost and demands of players. We dun have a rich sugar daddy like Abram. to back us. Spending the way Chelsea did is not sustainable in the long run.
The reason why there were few graduates from most youth academies is simply becos they are not good enough and they lack the quality and consistency to play at the highest level.

sorry...no matter how hard i try, i just don't see anderson in schole's role. his passing is not top notch, his shooting sucks, he is too short to win balls in the air, he is not robust to act as DM (sorry maybe he is not meant to be DM). Scholes is AM...perhaps if and only if Man U buys another striker, rooney can drop to AM...but if budget is a constraint which i believe so, a striker is not priority for next season.

Darron Gibson seems more in Scholes role - ie his long shots. But his passing is doubtful.

About Youth Academy, it is not really that the players are not good but rather they don't have now the luxury of matches to prove themselves perhaps only if there is an injury here and there. Otherwise, given the highly competitive nature - the managers won't risk them - we see only flashes of Fabio, Chester guy and Pussybon (before he is wrecked by injury) in Micky Mouse cup matches....otherwise, none...is it bcos they sucks ...maybe not, becos u really need the League matches to grind out skills. Thats why when they went over to the lower teams, they walk into their first team and can put up credible performance. think - Eagles, Shawcross.