• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2009-10

Singaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some transfer rumours...

Manchester United- Summer Transfers

The end of season is fast approaching and the rumour mill is working at high tempo. It is the World Cup year so there will be lots of players who will be making giant marketing leaps in showcasing their football assets to potential buyers. There are too many names going around in media involving Manchester United to be discussed in short space. Here are my thoughts on summer transfers.

The best goalkeeper of the noughties or perhaps ever, Gianluigi Buffon could be leaving Juventus this summer and landing up in the premiership with Manchester City being touted to be the stiffest competitor for his signature. Although Gigi is in the twilight of his career and hasn’t had the best of his seasons but there are many examples in history of world-class goalkeepers having a dip in form in mid thirties and then raising back their game and thriving till forty or so. If United are successful in getting his services will Edwin van der Sar be relegated to the bench? The Dutch man has been in superlative form and has looked as good as ever. Will it be déjà vu for him with Buffon taking over his spot like he did at Bianconeri? Also keep your ears open to rumours involving Igor Akinfeev, Manuel Neuer and Hugo Lloris.

Chris Smalling will be joining in summer to reinforce our central defence which has received criticism this season. This looks a great signing and it would be exciting to watch him as he has been billed as a future England star. I think Nemanja Vidić will still be a United player next season and Rio Ferdinand is not a spent force. These two, fully fit are as good a defensive pair as one can find anywhere. Jonny Evans will definitely get better but jury is still out on him becoming a world class defender. Our right back position is the most debatable on the team sheet. John O’Shea has filled in the spot most valiantly and a feeling of security comes on seeing his name on the team sheet. Can Wes Brown and Rafael deliver quality performances consistently? They have been stranded for the lack of pace and lack of maturity respectively at times this season. As for Gary Neville, he is the leader but I am defeated to say that it is time for him to pull curtains on a glorious career. Ferguson could be tempted to plunge in the market for this position. Patrice Evra is easily amongst the best left-backs in the world right now. We don’t have to worry about this position. Sir Alex might bother slightly about a cover for him- Fabio, O’Shea et al. I do not believe in rumours linking Vidić moving away so I have no reason to believe in arrival of Giorgio Chiellini.

Luka Modrić is one player I have been dreaming to see in a Red jersey since Euro 2008. The Croatian for me is the perfect player to be Paul Scholes’ long term replacement. I know its wishful thinking and least expect a deal to be made for him. Now looking at Ryan Giggs’ long term replacement we have a candidate already at our club- Nani. He is looking sharper than ever, making wiser decisions on the pitch and putting in some match winning contributions. But will he improve enough and not flatter to deceive is the question. David Silva is being tipped by many to make a switch from Mestalla to Old Trafford and become Ferguson’s eventual replacement of Giggs. It will surely be a big money move as the 24 year old is being chased by many other clubs but any investment in him is bound to reap dividends as he possesses all the qualities to be a hit as a Red Devil. He is versatile, creative, has experience at the highest level and who knows might as well be a World Cup winner this summer. He should be Fergie’s prime target. Media reports claim that Ferguson is keenly tracking the progress of 18 year old Evertonian Jack Rodwell. We all know how the last signing of an Everton whizkid has turned out. Everton is mustering efforts to stave off interested parties by tying the youngster in a long term deal. The gaffer wouldn’t want to lose out on this prodigy especially considering he is English and FIFA/UEFA are trying to push for a rule on national players. Rumours are abuzz that Joe Cole will not be plying his trade at Stamford Bridge next season as part of a clearout. He is available for free in summer and it will be a great coup by Ferguson if he manages to lure him to Manchester. Benfica winger Angel di Maria is said by many to be the next big thing in world football. The player himself has not been silent over his love for Manchester United. But don’t anticipate a transfer this summer as he has agreed to a contract extension with a big release clause. Deep down in my heart I believe Owen Hargreaves will be back with renewed vigour next season. He has had an awful time and deserves a romantic comeback.

Upfront is the real predicament. Enough has been said about Dimitar Berbatov’s lackadaisical approach to the game. Although the Bulgarian has had some stylish performances over the season but they all seem a flash in the pan. I cannot make up my mind if he will keep his number 9 jersey next season or not. Our number 7- Michael Owen has not had the season to the best of his liking but he shall be bigger and better come next season. Who knows he could dawn the three lions jersey in Poland-Ukraine. David Villa seems to be the hottest transfer property this summer. Undoubtedly one of the best in the business today, he commands a huge price tag. But I am more concerned about his compatibility with Wayne Rooney. Is there room for two similarly styled deadly assassins? Do not expect much fruit from this transfer news. Karim Benzema was one of the players which Sir Alex had failed to sign last summer. Ferguson is a keen admirer of Benzema who could be sold by Real Madrid after a lacklustre season and who as reports claim are plotting to bring in bigger names. This could be Ferguson’s lucky second chance.

Last edited:

Singaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. couldn't have said better myself ...
Now that Chelsea has open the gap to 4 points, can Man U still win the league given their 'famed experience during squeaky bums time' in the words of SAF.... LOL ! Not this time I gather ....

In fact, the Red Devils better maintain concentration.. for it will be the greatest injustice if they allow a Fabregas-less Arsenal grabbed 2nd place on last day of season !

A bit of breathing space to hang on to 2nd place. Now if the devils can beat those noisy neighbours this weekend.....

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Arsenal: Spurs Cling On To End 11-year Derby Hoodoo And Kill Gunners' Title Hopes

Tottenham Hotspur put a huge dent in Arsenal’s Premier League title hopes after goals by Danny Rose and Gareth Bale won the north London derby for the hosts, despite a late goal by Nicklas Bendtner, and ensured Harry Redknapp’s men remain very much in the race for fourth spot....

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pride belongs in the 1st place, the champions.
Also entitled to arrogance.

If devils (or any team for that matter) not too concerned between 2/3, and throw in towel -question their sense of pride or their professionalism:p

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man Shitty Vs Manchester United
City of Manchester Stadium
Saturday,17 April 2010
19:45pm

Tonight Man Utd just have to keep going.
The Red Devils can't hand the title to Chelski on a plate.
A win will put the pressure on Chelsea
going into their game against Spurs.
Sir Alex's team won't and mustn't give up.
So, they gotta win this game no matter what.
Even a draw really is not a favourable result.

Win or bust really, in terms of the title race anyway!!
As promised, no prediction this time.:biggrin:
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!!

jw5

Loyal
Man Utd 1 Man City 0
Paul Scholes with a header in the third and last minute of injury time.
He just signed a new 1 year contract.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My prediction : Manchester City 2 Manchester United 0
So glad (relieved?) you and many pundits got this wrong:p Red devils went in as underdogs, but thank goodness Scholey used his head right on the dot!
Wayne Piew said:
Man Utd just have to keep going.
The Red Devils can't hand the title to Chelski on a plate.
A win will put the pressure on Chelsea
going into their game against Spurs.
Sir Alex's team won't and mustn't give up.
So, they gotta win this game no matter what.
Even a draw really is not a favourable result.
Bang on. Place we watched game erupted. Phew, after 2 dissapointing outings:wink:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Amazing turn of affairs ....

Even after MU's last gasp win to come within 1 pt of Chelsea, before the late game started, pundits in BBC were still saying Spurs had had the game of their season beating Arsenal in their last game & so is totally drained by now. Suggesting a walk in the park for Chelsea as Spurs are not deemed capable of 2 superhuman upsets in a row.....

Now look what happened .... kudos to Redknapp - he & Roy Hogdson are the 2 best English Manager for now !

Sadly, for Liverpool, the ideal outcome would be Man U win, Spurs Lose, 8 pts behind Spurs now, with 4 games left, will Spurs lose next 3 games for Pool to overtake them ... ha ha sigh .... more likely to drop to 7th given Villa's pts advantage.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could the volcanic eruption signal a change in fortune? I thot I'd never say this-I'll be a Pool fan come May 2nd. C'mon you scousers! You better not score an own goal.

The Pool vs Chelsea match will kickoff early before Man U takes on Sunderland away. We will know by then what Pool is made of.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow - amazing weekend. I watched how Bale pawned Ferrarra - he is Ferrarra not Ferrari...haha.

then the worry comes, next week, Bale vs Neville...shit. Bale will cut Neville into shreds like toufu. Unless Valencia drop down to help which then renders the Right attacking side weaker.

Still I think Chelsea will nick it...simply because Stoke and Wigan at home is put-money-take money type of ties. Liverpool away...ho ho with Torres injured and out of the season and the takeover thingy swirling around, Liverpool is as good as gone. Even if I am generous, a draw is suffice for Chelsea to nick it.
Man U have to visit Sunderland away. Fergie vs Steve Bruce...ho ho...the last time out...Fergie's team struggled to a goaless draw i think....so it will be draw. And thats that....Chelsea wins the title.

or even earlier, if Man U fail to beat Tottenham at home.....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you notice, the teams that have more international players are falling to teams with less international players. Perhaps they're reserving energy for World Cup.