• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia Cup. What was it like? Care to share some memories?

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember sticking to the radio whenever Singapore played an away game in Malaysia.

Remember how the entire estate roared when Steven Tan the substitute scored an equalizer on TV.

Most memorable game was probably the 7-0 drubbing of Brunei when Sundram scored a spectacular overhead kick goal 100m in front of me.

S-League can never incite that level of passion. I'm thankful the Malaysia Cup was part of my growing up years.

Bet you can name every player on the field then. Bet you can't name two on the field today.

Kenshinng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bet you can name every player on the field then. Bet you can't name two on the field today.

That is quite true to a certain extent... furthermore the coverage on the local players was more wide last time when there was still Malaysia Cup.i miss the spirit the players had last time... Take Borhan "the Tank" Abu Samah, he was a very hardworking individual! may he rest in peace

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most memorable game was probably the 7-0 drubbing of Brunei when Sundram scored a spectacular overhead kick goal 100m in front of me.

Yeah on the following Monday, Newpaper's front page was a shot of Sundram hanging upside-down in mid air ..!!

The team was playing their best game then... The newbies Lee Mun Hon, Steven Tan, Lim Tong Hai playing with veterans like Malek Aweb, David Lee, Fandi, Sundram etc..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clear the cobwebs from your brains. Care to share what was it like in those glory days without FTrash imports. When achievements were purely by our own flesh and blood excluding the Lees of course.
Besides the Kallang Roar, my HDB friends tell me that the entire neighbourhood can be heard screaming with joy when a goal is scored. The word "Goooaaal": would echo clearly.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just had tea with Mr. Masjid Ariff. What a lovely man. Nuggets of gold he had given me.
Bro, can you tell Majid not to terrorise everyone who looks like an Indian at Terminal one. As know, Majid is with SATS and looks after Air India. He and his crew would search for all the strays and a very good Indian friend who has family in OZ gets chased by Majid thinking that he is going to India.

Just tell Air India to take off without these clowns.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol. He is too nice of a guy to do that. Just to share a nugget with you. It gives him a lift whenever ,even a younger man would come sauntering back to him after being checked in to ask if he is the Majid Ariff and to have the honor of shaking his hand when he answered yes. He is still a heathy man except for his limp, a present courtesy of some malaysian footbrawlers in the sixties. I'm sure you know better than I of his history.
Cheers.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides the Kallang Roar, my HDB friends tell me that the entire neighbourhood can be heard screaming with joy when a goal is scored. The word "Goooaaal": would echo clearly.

When people descript Geylang as a market in the evenings clearly never had the chance to see even in documentries or from TCS archives how crowded Geylang was after a football game at the stadium.

Kenshinng

Alfrescian
Loyal
When people descript Geylang as a market in the evenings clearly never had the chance to see even in documentries or from TCS archives how crowded Geylang was after a football game at the stadium.

I can imagine that man!a lot of people walk across the PA and over to Geylang to eat and also take transport back home. heck, back in those days, even Jalan Besar Stadium was packed with fans!!i really miss those days!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Surprised to see so many chinese great players. Wonder where the stereotype about only malays make good footballers come about??? Also many of those malays are actually arab like malek awab.

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me try without googling, these feller are locked in my memory :

Coaches : "Sack" Sivaji, David Moore

First 11 : 5-3-2
Goal : David Lee
Sweeper : Jang Jung
Leftback : Saswa
Rightback : Kadir
Centrebacks : Tong Hai + Borhan
Midfield : Malek, Fandi, Abbas
Striker : Sundram, Alistair Edwards

Reserve Goal : Abdul Malek, Bashir Khan
Other Reserves : SuperSub Steven, Fatty Lee Mun Hon, Nasir & Amin Nasir

I'm out... drawing a blank now

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Kallang National Stadium no doubt provided many cherished Malaysia Cup memoriies. But the best were in Merdeka Stadium, KL.

1977 Semi-Final Selangor 1 Singapore 2

1977 Final Penang 2 Singapore 3

The most disastrous memory too.

1978 Final Selangor 4 Singapore 2

Disastrous because Singapore took an early 2:0 lead but Selangor broke Singapore down completely thereafter.

onegoal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correction bro, there were many FT that time. Namely Abbas Saad, Edwards and if go back further i think got ang mo coach name Trevor Hartley. Never mind, it was still looking forward to the great games and then the New Nation reports!!

i also remember warran sprink, craig froster.
Anyone know where r they now and what the doing???

Alistar Edwards: MArried a singapore kekling girl. Later he went to play football in England Div 1. DId he come back to Singapore???

Abbas Saad:

Warran Sprink:

Craig Froster:

Please update if anyone knows

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alistar Edwards became a mayor of Cockburn city in Perth.

Despite a world wide ban, Abbas played for Sydney Olympic FC and then became a soccer commentor on TV.

Golden question: Anyone knows whats Michael Vana doing now???

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal

My fav then was D. Tokijan, quite an exotic choice, but I liked his play on the wings.

The Malays and Chinese weren't so divided back then. The good old days indeed.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any one knows where Fandi is right now? He will always remain my favourite footballer not because of his skills but more because of his humble disposition. I remembered one evening in Bussorah Street back in 1989. Fandi and his team members had just finished their dinner. He walked over to where I was giving my old souped up tour bike a wipe down and and politely pass a compliment about my bike. Hell at that time, he could easily had bought twenty units of my bike for cash, just to prove a point. Great guy!

jw5

Loyal
Any one knows where Fandi is right now? He will always remain my favourite footballer not because of his skills but more because of his humble disposition. I remembered one evening in Bussorah Street back in 1989. Fandi and his team members had just finished their dinner. He walked over to where I was giving my old souped up tour bike a wipe down and and politely pass a compliment about my bike. Hell at that time, he could easily had bought twenty units of my bike for cash, just to prove a point. Great guy!
The latest I heard was that he went to Indonesia to coach one of the teams there. Not sure whether he has come back. He was certainly a great footballer in his day and said to be a nice guy too. Unfortunately it was perhaps because of his "niceness" that his businesses didn't succeed. :(
I have great memories of the Malaysia cup especially in the 70s and 80s. Eric Paine as keeper, Hasli, Robert, Samad and Syed in the backline, Kumar, Khanisen, Mohd Nor, Dollah Kassim, Kim Song, Arshad Khamis, Rajagopal, etc among the midfield and forward players. Somehow I will always have a fondness for these guys, perhaps even more than those in Fandi and Sundram's era. :smile:
Did Majid use to play with people like Kim Swee, Skinner, etc? Don't know these guys as they were before the time I started following football, but wish them well all the same.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eric Paine shared this with me. He had boarded a MAS plane to go to KL for a holiday and was approached by a steward who recognised him.

'Sir, are you Eric Paine the former Singapore goalie?'

Flattered and a little surprised, Paine said, 'yes, but it was some time ago.'

The steward smiled and then said, 'sir, I am very touched that you would fly to KL to pay your last respects to our Arumugam - he was one of Malaysia's greatest goalies.'

Paine was stunned - he had not known that the spiderman had died and his going to KL was totally coincidental. All he could say was, 'very sad... very sad.'

jw5

Loyal
htolas
How is Eric Paine these days?
He was a great goalie, but whenever his S'pore team played against Arumugam's Selangor team, Selangor would usually win. I remember that the S'pore team in the 70s would beat all the other teams easily but would always fall short against their bogey team Selangor. Could never oversome Spiderman Aru, Towkay Soh, Santokh Singh and Mokhtar Dahari.