• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia Cup. What was it like? Care to share some memories?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JW5,

I'm afraid I'm not in touch with EP - this was told to me more than 10 years ago. I did hear he's doing quite well though.

Cheers.

jw5

Loyal
JW5,

I'm afraid I'm not in touch with EP - this was told to me more than 10 years ago. I did hear he's doing quite well though.

Cheers.
htolas
What then are your Malaysia cup memories?
Let's get back to the original theme of this thread started by MyJohnson. :smile:

Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think the most significant memory for me, besides the camaraderie shared with other fans and footballing friends was the huge turnouts during matches, rain or shine. The major games were usually sold out, and the atmosphere was electrifying. Remember one game in particular was oversold and there was only standing space available, and it was raining too! Almost everyone stayed to the end even though it was a no-score draw. That was the fanaticism at that time, and the recent games that I went to was like watching a movie at the cinema, minus the air-con. The famous Kallang Roar, the local movie is showing now, was thunderous and it could be heard from a few kilometres away. The fans nowadays probably may not know what it is like for 50,000 people to cheer a team. Unfortunately I've not been to other stadiums like Wembley or Nou Camp, so I can't say if it was the same kind of atmosphere. Instead of aiming for WC or Olympics etc, I would think just bring back the Roar and the results will follow.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
htolas
How is Eric Paine these days?
Eric retired from the Army, got into real estate not as an agent but as a live- in speculator (by house, live , do up a bit and sell high). Made a bundle and bought into a furniture business. Doing well as I understand.

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
For goodness sake, not another retro pick-me-up-feel-good malaysia cup thread!! :rolleyes:

The 1994 M Cup win was KELONGED! Spelt K E L O N G!

The National Stadium was not even 1/2 full when S'pore was relegated to Div 2 in 1992. Then suddenly stadium became packed in 1993 and 1994.

What a bunch of fair-weathered "fans"!

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed bro, those glory days where players play their hearts out not for $$$$ but for the love of the game will never be repeated. The same goes for those passionate and loyal fans who will fill up the stadium rain or shine to show support for the team.:(.Sad but true :o

Ya agree. Those days there are no Singapore Pools betting or bookies trying to fix the games. The players just play their hearts out for the games. Nowadays things are so different liao. Everyone onli care how much $$$ is for grabs and bookies trying to bribe the players to fix the games. Sad truth. :(

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya agree. Those days there are no Singapore Pools betting or bookies trying to fix the games. The players just play their hearts out for the games. Nowadays things are so different liao. Everyone onli care how much $$$ is for grabs and bookies trying to bribe the players to fix the games. Sad truth. :(

Isn't that a good reason why they remain so positive in our memories? Let's face it, how many of you old timer gila football fans follow the present league?
Even MBT had given up on trying to milk political capital out of it.

Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have no idea what you are talking about.

For goodness sake, not another retro pick-me-up-feel-good malaysia cup thread!! :rolleyes:

The 1994 M Cup win was KELONGED! Spelt K E L O N G!

The National Stadium was not even 1/2 full when S'pore was relegated to Div 2 in 1992. Then suddenly stadium became packed in 1993 and 1994.

What a bunch of fair-weathered "fans"!

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
was there when Singapore Real Lions with KKS and the others beating one Malaysian State 6-1....shiok...think i was 9 or 10 then....

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tak Giu

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/la5itOOjLtE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/la5itOOjLtE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
bro hv to point out the winning team in 95 when we won consist of Abbas Saad and Alistar Edwards HEHEHEH and one korean - Lee something

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
kelong...

i remember 1 match in national stadium in the 90s..

spore vs penang.. 30mins before game, fren's father received call n advised him to give ball..

mind u the handicap then is spore give 4.5balls..:confused:

final score : spore 7, penang 0..

really kelong like nobody business..:biggrin:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
the players at that era are all amateurs,played with pride and honour for the country.
they are only paid a certain allowances like training and transport,all have full-time jobs.
the present lots are professional footballers,well-paid,but look at the standards.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clear the cobwebs from your brains. Care to share what was it like in those glory days without FTrash imports. When achievements were purely by our own flesh and blood excluding the Lees of course.

David LEE was part of the winning team in the last Msia Cup leh.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bet you can name every player on the field then. Bet you can't name two on the field today.

Youre spot on!!!! Nowadays our S-League is like a family affair, restricted to the families of the players involved. No sense of identity, no warmth of belonging & absolutely not much media coverage on the local lads at all. No wonder no one knows the profile of the local players. Shame on the FAS for making the S-League into a national betting function without pouring back the proceeds to up the ante on the players betterment.