• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malay engineer works in australia due to racial discrimination in singapore

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://therealsingapore.com/content...australia-due-racial-discrimination-singapore

We have recently posted a few articles on race-bias discriminatory hiring and a Malay reader, is kind enough to provide us with the following online interview:-

Can you state your race, age and educational qualifications? Where are you currently living now?

I’m a Malay, age 32 and working as an Engineer in Australia.

You have mentioned that you have been discriminated back home in Singapore, can you relate some incidents?

During one of my interviews, the lady who interviewed me told me that she wanted a Chinese – why interview me if she have already made up her mind?

In my previous employment , the meetings were conveniently held in Mandarin, barely an English word was spoken. In my mind, its similar to withholding information from me to do my job. Its also work discrimination at its worse.

Is such discrimination only job-related or are there other variant incidents? Please specify.

I have been told by my friends in school that Malays are lazy. In which, they explained to me, still under one breath that I am different and I am not a real Malay. Which did not matter either way, as I still felt offended.

My sister was told, during an interview by the owner/interviewer, that she did not trust a Malay as an accountant. I have no idea why she interviewed my sister and offered her the job later on.

Do you think that Singapore has equal opportunities for all as we are a meritocratic society without giving any preference to any race?

No. Pretty sad and disappointing to the point of disillusioned. I have pledged everyday earlier in life, “regardless of race, language or religion” and I personally don’t know what to make out of it now. It’s not real.

Comparing Singaporean and Malaysian Malays, what do you think is the main difference here?

We, Singaporean Malays often think that Malaysian Malays are less motivated than us. Maybe we have been conditioned by the Media or perhaps trying to set ourselves apart from them to make us look better. My perception changed recently when I came to know a driven hard working Malaysian Malay that is just as motivated and even more talented than any Singaporean that I have known.

I have long realised even when I was living in Singapore that each community/race has their good and bad. Its the individual that we should judge and not the race/nationality. Working abroad just simply reinforced the opinion.

The main difference is not between us and them. We are the same – still human. The main thing that can make a difference is to change our own perception.

Are you happier now in a foreign country than back home in Singapore? Why so and do you plan to return home some day?

I am happier living in Australia. I feel I have a better quality of life. Frankly, there is no love lost about leaving Singapore. You have nothing much to lose if you have very little. The ties that bind me are just my family/friends. Nothing else. I will most definitely prefer to be a second class citizen in a foreign country rather than a second class citizen in my own country!

I do plan to return at some stage as I am very close to my family and now that my parents are getting older, I will like to spend more time with them. Not a single day in my life here that I don’t think of my family. I always feel that I am sacrificing a big portion of my life for the sake of career/better life.

I felt that the situation in Singapore is getting from bad to worse. Even if I do return home, it will be very hard to work under the system/policies that I can’t trust and believe. I have heard the same complaints before I left for good. Only know that now we have the Foreign Talent issues. Nothing changes.

A lot of Malays told me not to return. If they have the opportunity, they will want to move out of Singapore too.

What can the government do to improve on work opportunities for the minority races?

Any changes to be effective should start from top down. The government should be working on themselves first to develop a greater sense of accountability, integrity and duty of care. Just by saying aloud the pledge and then doing the opposite is the biggest hypocrisy.

I don’t trust them to work on issues of their own deliberate making. They have known this for a long time. They have practised some form of discrimination themselves. The top politician blatantly mentioned that races are not equal. They have created the model for the society to emulate.

The only way this government can improve the situation is for them to step aside. Its very telling that their policy will never work long term. Democracy and transparency in Singapore are only lip service. In reality, the two words are just hummed into the media to attract foreign investors. Never for their own people, be it Chinese, Malay, Indian or Eurasian. I think the government has lost its way.

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate all good that the government has done so far but we can’t live life on past glory alone. We need to live on the present and for the future. And presently, its not working. I stop short thinking about the future if this carries on.

If the government is really serious, they would have commissioned one of their ministers who has no portfolio to oversee this and create a healthy platform for all Singaporeans to compete/contribute. They could have done this long time ago..littering, spitting, drugs, chewing gums, are serious offences..so why do they need the citizens to tell them how to manage discrimination within the minority? We don’t need special preferential treatment. Just equal opportunities.

I don’t know what’s the deal about speaking Mandarin to get a job. By the way. English is still a business language. If Mandarin is the criteria to landing a job, then make Mandarin a compulsory subject and not English. Absolutely ridiculous!

Do you think Singapore should concentrate on having one homegenous national race e.g. Singapore Singaporean than Singapore Chinese, Malays, Indians which does not really help in national identity?

Of course, in most healthy countries, they do just that. They regard themselves as their nationality first. It certainly does not help in terms of national identity let alone a sense of pride/patriotism if we are always view as a Chinese, Malay or Indian first. Obviously, to have race in our Identity Card is a form of discriminating one race from the other.

Do you think having specific race-based social welfare groups such as Mendaki for Malays, Sinda for Indians and CDAC for Chinese further segregate the general population?

Similar to the above. Thats what Singapore is known to do and its their intention to segregate in every aspect. Easier to control when you breakdown to smaller portion. Pretty much science in terms of implementation than anything else. We can see this segregation from HDB flat allocation and our educational system.

Lastly, what is your sentiment regarding our local Malay politicians? Do you think that they have spoken up for the Malay community in general?

I believe Halimah Yaacob has the passion. As far as I can tell, I think she is sincere.

Its very hard for me to follow the politics from here. How far the rest can go to speak on this, I am not sure. I hope they have tried their best and persevere. Thats all you can do.

The worst position to be in any party or organization is if you are selected because of your race. Its just as bad as not being selected because of your race.So, I hope the government has selected these politicians based on their merit and passion and not just to fill in the party’s Malay quota.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Live and let live. he has secured a job in australia and living a good life there. no need for him to write a 500 word essay to complain about the injustice he suffered back in sinkieland. all he should do now is look forward and never look back.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Live and let live. he has secured a job in australia and living a good life there. no need for him to write a 500 word essay to complain about the injustice he suffered back in sinkieland. all he should do now is look forward and never look back.

Ah TS is trying to stir some life in this forum lah.He know racial thread will have quite a good respond :wink:.Aniway good too see you out of moderation

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese ppl are the victims of racism a lot times. Yet somehow whenever they are the victims somehow it's like not a big deal. The minute some malay who supposedly, supposedly is a victim of racial discrimnation it's like the biggest deal we all need to be sympathetic.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://therealsingapore.com/content...australia-due-racial-discrimination-singapore

We have recently posted a few articles on race-bias discriminatory hiring and a Malay reader, is kind enough to provide us with the following online interview:-

Can you state your race, age and educational qualifications? Where are you currently living now?

I’m a Malay, age 32 and working as an Engineer in Australia.

You have mentioned that you have been discriminated back home in Singapore, can you relate some incidents?

During one of my interviews, the lady who interviewed me told me that she wanted a Chinese – why interview me if she have already made up her mind?

She's just trying to follow protocol la imagine if she didn't even want to schedule an interview for you you would be whining as usual.

In my previous employment , the meetings were conveniently held in Mandarin, barely an English word was spoken. In my mind, its similar to withholding information from me to do my job. Its also work discrimination at its worse.

Is such discrimination only job-related or are there other variant incidents? Please specify.

A chinese working in a malay environment would need to learn malay. It's plain fucking commonsense. If my colleagues were all indians i would most likely need to learn tamil. For example take the chinese ppl working in fast food restaurants like madondalds i am sure they know more mlaay than the chinese that don't work there cos many of their colleagues are malays and malays speak malay amongst themselves just the same as chinese do it and indians do it. Of course he doesn't care about that, all this asshole cares about is OH they are so racist to me speaking in mandarin they are trying to bully me!!!!!! instead of actually bothering to learn some simple chinese. :rolleyes:

I have been told by my friends in school that Malays are lazy. In which, they explained to me, still under one breath that I am different and I am not a real Malay. Which did not matter either way, as I still felt offended.

Malays are lazy? Yet i am sure this m&d would have no problem calling chinese people money loving, whore banging gamblers. :rolleyes: Look stereotypes exist for a reason now chinese ppl don't really have the best stereotypes do you see a chinese person say a malaysian chinese whining away waaaaaaaaaa i'm being bullied!!!!! Obviously not. Why do they call malays lazy? Cos let's be fucking honest here there are lots of lazy m&ds around. No BS but it's a fact.

My sister was told, during an interview by the owner/interviewer, that she did not trust a Malay as an accountant. I have no idea why she interviewed my sister and offered her the job later on.

Interviewer had no choice la. Wait you call her racist and complain of course she had to employ your sister. :rolleyes:

Do you think that Singapore has equal opportunities for all as we are a meritocratic society without giving any preference to any race?

No. Pretty sad and disappointing to the point of disillusioned. I have pledged everyday earlier in life, “regardless of race, language or religion” and I personally don’t know what to make out of it now. It’s not real.

Comparing Singaporean and Malaysian Malays, what do you think is the main difference here?

We, Singaporean Malays often think that Malaysian Malays are less motivated than us. Maybe we have been conditioned by the Media or perhaps trying to set ourselves apart from them to make us look better. My perception changed recently when I came to know a driven hard working Malaysian Malay that is just as motivated and even more talented than any Singaporean that I have known.

I am sure that mudland m&d must have stepped on non bumis since mudland is an openly racist country but of course you don't care cos chinese ppl are the victims of racism and that's fine. You will only whine when malays are the supposed victims of racism.

I have long realised even when I was living in Singapore that each community/race has their good and bad. Its the individual that we should judge and not the race/nationality. Working abroad just simply reinforced the opinion.

The main difference is not between us and them. We are the same – still human. The main thing that can make a difference is to change our own perception.

Yes of course to a certain extent but so what? You never ever actually pratice what you preach this entire interview is you whining about how sg is racist to you indirectly blaming chinese ppl again.

Are you happier now in a foreign country than back home in Singapore? Why so and do you plan to return home some day?

I am happier living in Australia. I feel I have a better quality of life. Frankly, there is no love lost about leaving Singapore. You have nothing much to lose if you have very little. The ties that bind me are just my family/friends. Nothing else. I will most definitely prefer to be a second class citizen in a foreign country rather than a second class citizen in my own country!

I do plan to return at some stage as I am very close to my family and now that my parents are getting older, I will like to spend more time with them. Not a single day in my life here that I don’t think of my family. I always feel that I am sacrificing a big portion of my life for the sake of career/better life.

All sinkies regardless of race and religion are facing the same situation. Nothing different.

I felt that the situation in Singapore is getting from bad to worse. Even if I do return home, it will be very hard to work under the system/policies that I can’t trust and believe. I have heard the same complaints before I left for good. Only know that now we have the Foreign Talent issues. Nothing changes.

A lot of Malays told me not to return. If they have the opportunity, they will want to move out of Singapore too.

What can the government do to improve on work opportunities for the minority races?

Majority chinese are suffering under the system but let's ignore all of that and focus on the minorities that are being bullied by the majority and not the govt.

Any changes to be effective should start from top down. The government should be working on themselves first to develop a greater sense of accountability, integrity and duty of care. Just by saying aloud the pledge and then doing the opposite is the biggest hypocrisy.

I don’t trust them to work on issues of their own deliberate making. They have known this for a long time. They have practised some form of discrimination themselves. The top politician blatantly mentioned that races are not equal. They have created the model for the society to emulate.

The only way this government can improve the situation is for them to step aside. Its very telling that their policy will never work long term. Democracy and transparency in Singapore are only lip service. In reality, the two words are just hummed into the media to attract foreign investors. Never for their own people, be it Chinese, Malay, Indian or Eurasian. I think the government has lost its way.

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate all good that the government has done so far but we can’t live life on past glory alone. We need to live on the present and for the future. And presently, its not working. I stop short thinking about the future if this carries on.

If the government is really serious, they would have commissioned one of their ministers who has no portfolio to oversee this and create a healthy platform for all Singaporeans to compete/contribute. They could have done this long time ago..littering, spitting, drugs, chewing gums, are serious offences..so why do they need the citizens to tell them how to manage discrimination within the minority? We don’t need special preferential treatment. Just equal opportunities.

I don’t know what’s the deal about speaking Mandarin to get a job. By the way. English is still a business language. If Mandarin is the criteria to landing a job, then make Mandarin a compulsory subject and not English. Absolutely ridiculous!

Sadly for you china is big and strong country and a major player that even the US respects. China uses mandarin to do business. There are more mandarin speakers in the world compared to english speakers. Bloody fucker is just trying to hide his hatred of chinese ppl. These are facts. Now supposed your mudland was a superpower and now m&d has to be used worldwide same situation would arise would you feel bad for non malay speakers? I would say no. You expect them to learn malay without complaining.

Do you think Singapore should concentrate on having one homegenous national race e.g. Singapore Singaporean than Singapore Chinese, Malays, Indians which does not really help in national identity?

Of course, in most healthy countries, they do just that. They regard themselves as their nationality first. It certainly does not help in terms of national identity let alone a sense of pride/patriotism if we are always view as a Chinese, Malay or Indian first. Obviously, to have race in our Identity Card is a form of discriminating one race from the other.

Do you think having specific race-based social welfare groups such as Mendaki for Malays, Sinda for Indians and CDAC for Chinese further segregate the general population?

Similar to the above. Thats what Singapore is known to do and its their intention to segregate in every aspect. Easier to control when you breakdown to smaller portion. Pretty much science in terms of implementation than anything else. We can see this segregation from HDB flat allocation and our educational system.

Lastly, what is your sentiment regarding our local Malay politicians? Do you think that they have spoken up for the Malay community in general?

I believe Halimah Yaacob has the passion. As far as I can tell, I think she is sincere.

Its very hard for me to follow the politics from here. How far the rest can go to speak on this, I am not sure. I hope they have tried their best and persevere. Thats all you can do.

The worst position to be in any party or organization is if you are selected because of your race. Its just as bad as not being selected because of your race.So, I hope the government has selected these politicians based on their merit and passion and not just to fill in the party’s Malay quota.

In short not very convincing at all. Chinese ppl have overcome greater odds than this and don't get the supposed sympathy one should have for this malay.

It's almost like a reflex action. You are chinese you read this you're supposed to feel sympathetic to him if not you're a scumbag racist. Yet there are chinese ppl in much worse situations than him that are supposed to suck it up. :rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if it is true that discrimination cause her to go to australia to work, i think discrimination is doing her a favour. Better work and life quality in Australia.