• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LWL:: Suppression of my views started soon after Lee Kuan Yew died .....

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/why-support-dr-lee-wei-091823026.html

Why we should support Dr Lee Wei Ling

alvinology
6 April, 2016

Isn’t it interesting that Facebook posts can become headline news these days in the mainstream media in Singapore?

I am very intrigued with the ongoing development between Dr Lee Wei Ling, the daughter of the late founding prime minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, and various editors from Singapore Press Holding (SPH), my previous employer and the largest media company in Singapore.

What’s the story so far?

It all started when Dr Lee wrote a post on her Facebook criticising the hero-worship surrounding her father’s death anniversary. She claimed to have published it on Facebook because the Straits Times refused to publish the article.

The Straits Times’ Assistant Sports Editor, Chia Han Keong, retorted her with a Facebook post saying that Dr Lee should be glad that “we don’t spit on your dad’s grave.”

Chia added: “Yah yah yah, one little chiding by the daughter, and now everyone regrets remembering LKY. Too late, mofos.”

Dr Lee got a huge wave of support from many people online for her post on the excessive hero-worshipping of her late father. Probably encouraged by the hugely favourable responses, she went on a tirade, starting with another post stating that she was denied freedom of speech and won’t be contributing pieces to SPH anymore.

This was followed by another post which claimed her father did not suppress freedom of speech (*ahem*). She brought in Janadas Devan into the saga. Devan is currently the Chief of Government Communications in Singapore and used to work at the Straits Times whereby he edited Dr Lee’s stories, including her published book.

Devan was not happy with what Dr Lee wrote about him and issued his own rebuttal. A war of words ensued and the saga is still ongoing.

To cut a long story short, the elites in Singapore are quarrelling publicly online and we, the peasants, get to grab our popcorns and enjoy the show, thanks to the digital revolution. With tools like blogs and Facebook, anyone can be a publisher and it democratise the news publishing process.

It’s just like the quarrel between the two Singapore bloggers over a ‘missing’ seat at a wedding banquet that was spilled open online for the public to witness. In the past, the spate would probably had transpired behind closed doors, but now we get to enjoy the show.

No longer is the mainstream media like SPH and Mediacorp, the sole purveyors of news and truth. Anyone with an internet access can do it now. That was what Dr Lee did when she chose to publish her post onto her Facebook account when she couldn’t get it published in the Straits Times.

In the end, it all boils down to freedom of speech.

Why should we support Dr Lee Wei Ling?

For one, it takes an elite to take on an elite institution. We need someone of Dr Lee’s special immunity status to fight the ingrained self-censorship environment in Singapore against an elite institution like SPH.

If it was someone like say Dr Chee Soon Juan complaining that SPH won’t publish his commentary pieces, do you think anyone give two hoots about it?

Many detractors commented that Dr Lee’s father was the one responsible for curbing free speech in Singapore and that her brother, the current prime minister, continues to uphold the practice with the current government. As such, it is pure hypocrisy for Dr Lee to cry foul over censorship.

I disagree.

This is guilty by family association. If we were to buy the argument, we are no better than communist China during the Cultural Revolution where people get persecuted because of what their parents or relatives did or allegedly did.

I am a fan of Dr Lee’s commentary pieces. She is blunt and say it like it is. Such raw, candid honesty is rare in Singapore due to the climate of fear when it comes to writing. Granted she has an untouchable status as the daughter of the late strongman, Lee Kuan Yew, she could have chosen not to express any opinions and keep out of the public eyes like her other brother, Lee Hsien Yang. She didn’t and continue to be vocal on things she believe in.

I hope Dr Lee will continue to write and share more articles on her Facebook profile. I certainly hope she continues to advocate for free speech in Singapore. It will be interesting to read what her unedited, uncensored writings are like – whether they will be like ‘sailing through a fog’, as claimed by Devan.

Go Dr Lee Wei Ling!

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
LeeWeiLingCover.jpg

To all PAP members and bootlickers, please stop brainwashing our kindergarten kids, our school kids and the public with your LKY worship crap and slanted history, for your political agenda.

The true "Father" of Independent Singapore is actually Goh Keng Swee, LKY didn't want independence from Malaysia. LKY admitted all this in his eulogy to Goh Keng Swee's funeral. How come all these PAP members and bootlickers didn't worship the dead GKS ??

Last edited:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes yes LHL targetting own sister. CSJ will be happy.

BEST,BEST..... BESTEST.. if she join CSJ or another opposition party to diffuse the power of the dominant elite. This will show her kinder side and that she holds upright ideas to do justice to the nation..

What we have now are lots of fat cats on the top , mimicking what the big chief does and want.

In short Por Lump Pars..( the English word is Sycophants )

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
She sees LKY as a Daddy, the others in the country see him as a Divine Being (or God). Both will think differently about Old Harry.

Cheers!

Things getting interesting.

According to Lee Wei Ling, PAP leaders want to make Sinkies worship LKY against LKY's wishes, and PAP suppress/censor LWL in the MSM to prevent her from stopping the LKY worshipping.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If they even openly have to resort to supressing the opinion of LKY's child, it shows how much "confidence" they have in themselves .

The mandate of 70% and yet so insecure?
Same for not revealing the names of the people responsible for SGHhepatitis-gate,why so scared for a group of people that constantly harp on transparency.
There are no holy cows in Singapore?.

Holdmetight

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno, sounds like LWL is exaggerating and her perceptions seem to be rather warped. Why would anyone want to censor her views and even if they wanted, can anyone really do so? Just because they dowan to post her views on the straits times, that is counted as censorship. I don't think they posted Janadas views on the straits times either. So what is her point? She has FB and whatever, everyone can read her views. Unless she is telling us and trying to *hint* *hint* something which we don't know, like someone from SPH called her to ask her to tone down, but that is unlikely as she will most likely flaire up and post it in full on her FB. So I don't really follow why she is saying she has been censored.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Old Man has repeatedly said that he does not want statutes, buildings etc named after him or even worship him. Even naming NUS School of Public Policy after him was was tough until Kishore convinced him that it will draw the right foreign post grad students and much needed funding. The Daughter knows what her father wanted and understandably became upset. Her older brother is playing street politics and needs the religion that PA and PAP are trying create around the old man. The Straits Times has since the departure of Peter Lim has done the bidding of the Government and this is right up there.

There are also existing undercurrents over a series of oral history interview given by the old man. The guy was noted for his candid and blunt comments all his life. It is worth more than gold because it not only goes into various personalties Singapore and internationally as well as the family. This I understand has impacted the daughter. NAS is very careful about this interviews and interviewees are given a number of options when and how they can be accessed including reproduction. Just to give context, the autobiography both 1 and 2 were heavily edited to avoid upsetting at that time current personalities. He took their advice especially on racial issues.

In essence, the undercurrents are what we do not see.

I dunno, sounds like LWL is exaggerating and her perceptions seem to be rather warped. Why would anyone want to censor her views and even if they wanted, can anyone really do so? Just because they dowan to post her views on the straits times, that is counted as censorship. I don't think they posted Janadas views on the straits times either. So what is her point? She has FB and whatever, everyone can read her views. Unless she is telling us and trying to *hint* *hint* something which we don't know, like someone from SPH called her to ask her to tone down, but that is unlikely as she will most likely flaire up and post it in full on her FB. So I don't really follow why she is saying she has been censored.

jw5

Loyal
She said Mr Lee Kuan Yew was dead set against a personality cult and any hint of cronyism, and would have preferred a commemoration like that accorded to Mr Churchill 50 years later, over the one sanctioned by the government which started on 23rd March with a remembrance ceremony held at the former Parliament House, and lasted for an entire week.

This part of Dr Lee’s commentary was what ST wanted censored edited out.

Many sinkies are easily impressionable and manipulated and some suffer from delusion of grandeur, including former pap scholar internet forum resident Tua Pau Xian. :wink:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any veneration could have the opposite effect and lead future generations of Singaporeans to think that my father's actions were motivated by his desire for fame, or creation of a dynasty. He strove hard and determinedly in life to advance Singapore, and not for his place in history, or leaving a great legacy. He is a rare politician and leader, who did what he had to do with no thought to any gain for himself.

Wow, LWL is another Tua Pau Xian. But she needs to brush up her TPX skills in order to compete with scroobal.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY cringed at hero worship--island full of him.

Albert Winsemius didnt want an award--got a small non-descript lane named after him.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
LWL's reply to Straits Times editor Ivan Fernandez's article today. According to her, plagiarism wasn't even mentioned in any of Fernandez's emails to her in the article editing, Fernandez wanted the Mao and Churchill parts remove for other reasons.

Looks like Fernandez didn't think it was plagiarism and it wasn't an issue during the editing. But after the squabble happened last week, Fernandez was offended and wanted to dig up dirt on the article to retort LWL, and the best he can find after days of research on the internet is plagiarism.

https://www.facebook.com/weiling.lee.980/posts/224665967889054?pnref=story

Lee Wei Ling

I read in today’s Straits Times, that my previous editor, Ivan Fernandez accused me of plagiarism with regards to how Chairman Mao and Churchill were commemorated on the anniversary of their death. I had not intended to write about my father’s death on 23/3/2016. What led to my comments in Facebook on 1/4/2016 was the article on the front page report of The Straits Times on Mar 21st.

It carried a photo of an outline of Papa's face made with 4,877 erasers. I know Papa would be very upset by this sort of hero worship. I felt a sense of urgency to stop all acts of hagiography as I knew how unhappy they would cause Papa. To put things in context I wanted to recount how other countries honoured their leaders after death. China’s Chairman Mao and Britain’s Winston Churchill were the best examples to compare the founding prime minister of Singapore to.

My then SPH editor, Ivan Fernandez’s first response to my draft which included commemoration for Mao and Churchill, “Not using this, Wei Ling. Sticking with the original edited version. Will use your suggestion for the visual (if space permits): shot of the video you mentioned. Bits about Mao and Churchill are going off on a tangent. Distracting and do not contribute enough to the point that you've already made. Best to objectively maintain the tightness of argument and not appear to be airing a pet peeve.”

There were 5 subsequent emails with regards to this draft, never did Ivan bring up the issue of plagiarism. Given that my article was posted on Facebook on 1st April, and this is 9th April, I wonder whether the powers that be had instructed SPH to criticize me and accuse me of plagiarism. I am a doctor, and writing articles like these do not advance my curriculum vitae which depends on publication on medical issues.

So I leave my readers to judge me fairly, whether I intentionally plagiarized or as a filial daughter I wanted to stop any attempts at hagiography at the first anniversary of my father’s death.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY is not Churchill at all. Churchill fought in a war (Boer War) and lead the UK through war and peace. LKY collaborated during war and asked Winsemius to help build Singapore. Way different Doctor Lee Daughter of Harry.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One trait that Tua Pau Xians share is that they don't understand their own hypocrisy. :wink:

That's why scroobal is Wei Ling's best friend. scroobal knows the most intimate details about Wei Ling, and that's why I paged for him.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha!

Isn't a great irony for the daughter to say: "Suppression of my views started soon after Lee Kuan Yew died ....." when suppression of public opinions contrary to his father's opinions started soon after LKY assumed power?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lets cut the crap here,LKY fought so long and hard more than 40 years to stay in power and the limelight but he doesnt want to be hero worshipped?he has countless quotes and posters of him all over the place and written a bunch of garbage books over the decades glorifying his views and biased propaganada crap and his version of history and have it prominently placed in every bookstore and supermarket,a privilege enjoyed only by the bestselling authors in the world of all time and the bible cause he sure as hell aint no bestselling author,the only reason his books are everywhere is not thanks to meritocracy.he fought so long and hard to maintain grip over his kingdom even to the point of giving himself the titles emeritus and senior and what not and instilling his son as a puppet ruler,LKY who ruled over SIngapore for 50 years doesnt want to be hero worshipped or idolised ok sure sure.....excuse me while i go put on my MP3 collection of favourite north korean music of all time and not hero worship my idol kim jong il cause im mighty confused now PAP has been sending me mixed signals all these years.

LKY does not want to be hero worshipped?Please be grateful at least we dont spit on your daddy's grave bitch weiling.
[video=youtube;zq54msMu3Sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq54msMu3Sc[/video]

Last edited: