• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lure Sinkies abroad to come back? Seriously how does that help me personally??

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've met and spoke with the Oversea Singapore Unit (gahman) before, I thought it was very nice gesture of Singapore to try to connect with oversea Singaporeans. Don't know what incentives they are thinking of but I agree that monetary incentives would be an insult to All Singaporeans. However, if gahman can help with finding jobs, modify school that accommodate to overseas educated kids, or helping visa application for non-Singaporean family members, that would be a big incentive many to go back.
I think that is where we disagree.....However, if gahman can help with finding jobs, modify school that accommodate to overseas educated kids, or helping visa application for non-Singaporean family members, that would be a big incentive many to go back.
Overseas Singaporeans should not expect any incentives or privileges. U left on our own accord and if u want to come back, there should be no special treatment. If there were, the Stayers like me would be upset. To be brutally honest, personally I don't see how u guys coming back will help me personally...help the country maybe since u guys have no problems fitting right in...but for me in my remaining life-span I don't see I benefit. People may call me selfish and narrow-minded but I had it up to here with my gahment telling how good their policies are for Singapore..eg FTs, FTAs...all that crap but personally I have yet to see any TANGIBLE benefit!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always think that for people who emigrate from a high asset cost country to a low cost one, it is likely to be a one way street with no turning back especially if they have uprooted everything, sell house, sell shares etc.

The house that was sold obviously brought in a lot of money and after paying for a new house at the new place, it still left a handsome sum. That's when life looked very rosy and easy and they could relax and live well without too much pressure and competition whether at work or at school.

For those who have stayed away for a very long time, the easy lifestyle would have stuck and it would not be easy to make it back here. I have known of people that even after taking a huge pay cut, they would not hold on to their jobs and left still looking for similar low paying jobs.

Worse are those non-professional type, who would have a hard time adjusting to the high Gini coefficient in Singapore. Your fixed assets? These would already have shrunk in value relative to properties here and exchanging it even for a pigeon hole could be a struggle. Singapore is not called an expensive city for nothing and they probably would have to give up owning a car. Like all FTs they would find that owning a car is just too expensive.

The above is meant for the usual mortals. Of course, for those who have really found their proverbial or literal pot of gold or oil or precious minerals, they would have the money to set up their own businesses and be their own bosses. But this environment is not an easy environment and competition is keener here and a lot of adaptation need to be made.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Judging by the many posts I have seen here, I think you're being too critical of Singaporeans. Where would they go if they leave Singapore? You know, US or Australia is not all sweet blondes and honeys.

Is it really better in Spore:confused:

If one is male you have to compete with foreigners who can just waltz in & take away your job because they are cheaper. They are not impeded by having to play soldier until they are in their 40's. The reason Sporeans cannot compete on price is because of all the costs the PAP are responsible for e.g. housing.
Look at all those taxes hidden & otherwise. What do you really get:confused: You are not getting anything like affordable health care, affordable care for the old, ..... only a bunch of self-serving millionaire civil servants. I am not talking about charity but "affordable" prices that "lesser mortals" can afford.

In places like Canada where the tax is supposedly higher than Spore they are getting more from the government. They are getting free educations, affordable health care, a people oriented gov't,...

What they don't have is a gov't with an entitlement mentality. Where else but in Spore do they justify high pay for an "honest" gov't.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

What they don't have is a gov't with an entitlement mentality. Where else but in Spore do they justify high pay for honesty:confused:

Because in countries like these, they can be voted out! The PAP has made so many blunders over years that I have no idea why they are still in power if not, why its not reduced to a minority government. It really boggles the mind that the people still voted for them.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand, do you mean you prefer an FT in Singapore rather than a Singaporean who has left? From what you said, any person, whether FT or otherwise, who wants to reside in singapore will compete with you on job, housing etc too. But did it occur to you that when that ex-singaporean left, he also left his job, house etc back home and may have created opportunities for you?

Same here. The Sinkies that stayed behind and remained loyal to Sinkapore. But if the gahment wants to woo the overseas Sinkies to come back,.....how does that help me (not the nation) personally??? Maybe they will come back and compete with me for my job? or housing..etc.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1. Many ex-Sinkies who have UPGRADED are not like the Prodigal Son - enjoyed himself, flat broke, came back, etc. Some, like myself, have prospered and don't need to come back and more importantly don't want to come back if the Sinkie system does not undergo a fundamental change, including changes in PAP's and Sinkie's attitude. With enough money in the bank, many don't even need to migrate under the skilled workers' scheme. Instead they migrate using the investor or entrepreneur scheme.

2. The rest of the passage is typical Sinkie selfish and myopic mentality - what's in it for me in the short term. No money no honey. If tomorrow, PAP gives a big enough short term carrot, vote for them - all past misdeeds forgiven and forgotten. Such attitude is typical of the 60%. There is no guarantee that even if a regime change is effected, after a few years of slow economic growth caused perhaps by PAPzies' cronies sabotaging the new government, these Sinkies will not go crawling and beg the PAPzies to return.

3. Therefore, smart UPGRADERS will not be so easily tempted to return. They need to see a fundamental change in Sinkie attitude and mentality. It is much easier to get regime change than to change a society's basic values and outlook - moulded by 50 years of PAP propaganda, carrots and sticks, etc. Sinkie society does not have the values and outlook of a FIRST WORLD country.

江山易改 本性难移
It's easier to move rivers and mountains than to change a person's basic character.

well said, especially the bold part..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hello, hello ... that label is coined by Woody Goh, who also talked big about "rootedness". And all this while, this lousy Stayer and Seat Warmer has a daughter, Goh Jin Theng, who by her father's books is a quitter and has no idea what rootedness means. See http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?31407-Elite-Quitters-Exposed for details.

The point is many ex-Singaporeans, who never subscribed to the Sinkie creed in the first place and don't like Sinkie behaviour and attitudes that allow, feed and support the PAP and its abuse of power, have voluntarily took the risks and UPGRADED. Those Stayers have bought the PAP's tall tales and these lies are now exposed. Cannot be hidden even from shallow Sinkie minds. These Stayers are now displaying another Sinkie trait - SOUR GRAPES.

In my books, those who have no valid reasons for staying, like a sick parent or something are the real QUITTERS. They quitted thinking, criticising, analysing and taking risks. So, Sinkieland is now full of these QUITTERS, many of whom sold their votes for lift upgrading. On the other hand, those who could see, think, analyse, decide and act have already UPGRADED.

The gene pool, which was originally Southern Chinese peasant stock, not very good to begin with, but improved through evolution in a hostile environment at the beginning of the colony, has degraded as the best and brightest have UPGRADED. Latest estimate is about 200,000. What is left then are: 1) peasants (some of whom still do not know how to use an ATM!); 2) cowards (you call that Hong Lim thing a protest?); 3) the well connected (who also buy PR and properties in developed countries just in case); 4) cheapskates (TRE with millions of hits has problems raising funds from stingy Sinkie bloggers! Everything must be free, including democracy, must pay, all disappear); etc.

Is it then any wonder that Sinkieland needs more immigrants? And if no quality immigrants will come because they are already aware of the PAP fascist regime and its evil ways, and the Sinkie mentality that feeds this regime, then there is no choice but to settle for quantity?

another very well said part .... too bad can only up you once at this time.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think that is where we disagree.....However, if gahman can help with finding jobs, modify school that accommodate to overseas educated kids, or helping visa application for non-Singaporean family members, that would be a big incentive many to go back.
Overseas Singaporeans should not expect any incentives or privileges. U left on our own accord and if u want to come back, there should be no special treatment. If there were, the Stayers like me would be upset. To be brutally honest, personally I don't see how u guys coming back will help me personally...help the country maybe since u guys have no problems fitting right in...but for me in my remaining life-span I don't see I benefit. People may call me selfish and narrow-minded but I had it up to here with my gahment telling how good their policies are for Singapore..eg FTs, FTAs...all that crap but personally I have yet to see any TANGIBLE benefit!

so it means they are not doing it??? so you can carry on your IF.... all the way.. wahahhahaha... who gives a shit about sinkieland... only morons do that.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Judging by the many posts I have seen here, I think you're being too critical of Singaporeans. Where would they go if they leave Singapore? You know, US or Australia is not all sweet blondes and honeys.

Malaysia lah... it is near enough to go back to insult sinkies on a frequent basis about their rent HDB flat whom they think they own it ... for those who choose to stay in KL and with the fast train coming up, it will be even more convenient for them to do it.. wahahahhaah

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Someone propose that instead of getting FTs, we should lure all those who migrated abroad to come back. I am sorry for sounding like a wet blanket but how exactly does that benefit me..personally?? Its the classic tale from the Bible - the Prodigal Son... the one that went away and enjoyed himself and when he was flat broke, he came back and was given preferential treatment by the father. His other son is not too pleased as he stayed diligent and filial but in the end his father gave priority to the son who came back.

Same here. The Sinkies that stayed behind and remained loyal to Sinkapore. But if the gahment wants to woo the overseas Sinkies to come back,.....how does that help me (not the nation) personally??? Maybe they will come back and compete with me for my job? or housing..etc.

They only come back to insult you and remind you how stupid you are to get stuck in sinkieland... that seems to be the only logical reason for them to come back.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand, do you mean you prefer an FT in Singapore rather than a Singaporean who has left? From what you said, any person, whether FT or otherwise, who wants to reside in singapore will compete with you on job, housing etc too. But did it occur to you that when that ex-singaporean left, he also left his job, house etc back home and may have created opportunities for you?

Please don't use the PAP line on me! It's not I don't accept FT or Quitters but the scale! Too much and u upset the apple cart..and this hare brained 6.9 plan is going to topple upside down the entire cart! Don't u guys feel anything seeing your country being torn up all in the name of development!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please don't use the PAP line on me! It's not I don't accept FT or Quitters but the scale! Too much and u upset the apple cart..and this hare brained 6.9 plan is going to topple upside down the entire cart! Don't u guys feel anything seeing your country being torn up all in the name of development!

many are very considerate to leave and allow space for more FT to get in. so it sort of cancel out and getting zero nett difference.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
many are very considerate to leave and allow space for more FT to get in. so it sort of cancel out and getting zero nett difference.

Why don't u help us get all our CPF monies and our cut from the rseserves we helped buildup and we will happily leave this God forsaken place to u and your beloved FTs.

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia lah... it is near enough to go back to insult sinkies on a frequent basis about their rent HDB flat whom they think they own it ... for those who choose to stay in KL and with the fast train coming up, it will be even more convenient for them to do it.. wahahahhaah

I don't necessary disagree with you but I think it is not a clear cut that moving from Singapore to Malaysia is feasible for most Singaporeans. In general, job opportunities, or at least pay is better in Singapore. Also, the schools are generally better. Though if you are retiring with no kids, Malaysia, and perhaps Thailand, is worth considering. Cheap enough to live like a king and close enough to come back anytime.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
if you are retiring with no kids, Malaysia, and perhaps Thailand, is worth considering. Cheap enough to live like a king and close enough to come back anytime.

So you're saying that Singapore is a great place for kids? If you are, it proves that the PAP is doing a fantastic job then.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if ex Singaporeans never make it outside or think sg still a better place and want to come back, i will welcome them with open arms.
but they come back because of incentives by the pap gov, they are not welcome. why? because they are no different to those 3rd world countries foreign trash leechers and taking sg as a stepping stone or spring board to catapult to angmo countries. those resources can be use to help the old, the poor and the sick.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2 cents......

1) Families who migrate to 1st world countries (which is generally the case) have little incentive to return. The opportunities for themselves and their kids are ample and I think they will spend their time to organise and embed their families in their new home. In essence too many things to see and do.

2) The ones who return are those who have kids who have become adults and are independent in their new country. They are also typically are part of the MNCs and see the return as a posting to a familiar territory. Bit of nostalgia, catch up with ex-classmates and more time to sip wine knowing that a safety net exist back in their new country.

3) The ones who return within the first few years are those who finding it difficult to adapt or have elderly dependents that require the attention. In this lot, they are likely never to leave Singapore. The passion to move again dissipates.

4) i do not think it is fair and I agree with Moonlightaffairs that it wrong to provide incentives as it not fair to those who remained. What the authorities can do is make information available and the process much easier for those who are keen to return to contribute to the economic workforce including their children. At the moment the process is convoluted. The forms are onerous. Preference should still go to the locals.

The reality is that the world is becoming global. We now have a cabinet minister and an opposition MP whose wife and kids are foreign citizens. There are cabinet ministers and even opposition candidates whose kids are PRs or foreign nationals and some hold dual citizenships.

As I have told people here before - the world is your oyster. Being a Singaporean is not god's gift to mankind. In the early 90s, the govt allowed non citizens to join the elite Admin Service albeit. This is not the case for Australia, NZ, UK and most countries. Foreigners have held Department Head position in Stat Boards. There is nothing scared in this country.

The only vocation protected in the taxi driving. That tells you how badly we are wired.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've met and spoke with the Oversea Singapore Unit (gahman) before, I thought it was very nice gesture of Singapore to try to connect with oversea Singaporeans.

the sinkie diaspora anywhere in the world has the tendency to create various social and community organizations and groups for "networking" and "makan" get-togethers. it's out of the sinkie desire, instinct and set of unmistakable traits to flock like crows looking for food and friendship. but food first. :p

the o.s.u. is created to have overlord control over these splintered, fragmented, disunited, quarrelsome groupies and cliques. it's also a collector of sinkie contacts as some groups are not fully cooperative in forwarding or disseminating the o.s.u's directives, newsletters and invitations. after collecting personal email, phone, address details of sinkies living abroad thru' these organizations, the o.s.u. will contact the sinkie directly and bypass the private organizations. it's called "direct marketing", and they think they have a "captive sinkie" market. :biggrin:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
People accuse me of being selfish and myopic for my rant!! What's in for me...etc. Again I say Helloooo...why shouldn't I want whats best for me truly??? U think our ministars r doing this out of the goodness of their hearts or their million dollar salaries?? At least in their case, they actually got their rewards already whilst the rest of us are still waiting for some leftovers to trickle down!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
whilst the rest of us are still waiting for some leftovers to trickle down!!

I learned early in life that waiting is not a good trait in any situation and that leftovers never taste nice.

If there's something you want out of life, you have to strive to achieve it. Nobody else is going to do the hard work for you or hand you the prime cuts.