• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lorong Tai Seng....

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lorong Tai Seng was once a congested Chinese kampong famous for its hawker food, and it was a notorious secret society hideout till the early 1970s....i grew up there and saw guns being carried by the secret soceity members as a young boy...

lianbeng used to grow up at mang-kaka lah new world 新世界 paikia also no play play 1 hor!:biggrin:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lorong Tai Seng was once a congested Chinese kampong famous for its hawker food, and it was a notorious secret society hideout till the early 1970s....i grew up there and saw guns being carried by the secret soceity members as a young boy...

Hahaha,Did you go to Playfair or Hong San,I went to the Chinese temple school.

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hahaha,Did you go to Playfair or Hong San,I went to the Chinese temple school.

i never went to either. but when i was walking past playfair once, was chase by a dog. u know when 5 years old, see dog run. so dog sure chase and i was knock down by car!

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i never went to either. but when i was walking past playfair once, was chase by a dog. u know when 5 years old, see dog run. so dog sure chase and i was knock down by car!
Thanks,So when you were there was the temple around? as I was told it moved,I left the Kampong in 1972

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro, Jar also gave me the same URL. Very good read and informative.

Bro,Remember Singapore has many articles on kampong
http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/from-villages-to-flats-part-1/
Kampong in Eastern Parts of Singapore
Paya Lebar
Paya Lebar’s Kampong Yew Keng (葱茅园村) near Lorong Tai Seng was famous for a Chinese temple known as Nine Emperor Gods (九皇宫). The year 1965 was significant to Lorong Tai Seng as new rows of shophouses were built and new street lamps were installed along the road. The road no longer exists today.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow! so many blogs recording all the history and heritage of sg. this is what history and heritage all about, beside those "official" record. we must have those grassroot record by words of mouth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks again Bro. I agree with Moolightaffairs that these are important and worth remembering.

Bro,Remember Singapore has many articles on kampong
http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/from-villages-to-flats-part-1/
Kampong in Eastern Parts of Singapore
Paya Lebar
Paya Lebar’s Kampong Yew Keng (葱茅园村) near Lorong Tai Seng was famous for a Chinese temple known as Nine Emperor Gods (九皇宫). The year 1965 was significant to Lorong Tai Seng as new rows of shophouses were built and new street lamps were installed along the road. The road no longer exists today.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
MBSSLOTS

Don't want to steal your thunder, do you mind starting a Kampong & Neighbourhood Thread or something. Then contributions from Jah, Dreamer etc can pile on. We had one on Kg Siglap recently that did well. Something like what Joe and Chon have done for Thailand and travels.

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MBSSLOTS

Don't want to steal your thunder, do you mind starting a Kampong & Neighbourhood Thread or something. Then contributions from Jah, Dreamer etc can pile on. We had one on Kg Siglap recently that did well. Something like what Joe and Chon have done for Thailand and travels.
no lah...me only kare lei fei type...would not do justice ...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng used to grow up at mang-kaka lah new world 新世界 paikia also no play play 1 hor!:biggrin:

I would think new world was nearer to kin jio kar......mang kakar was further down opposite kong wai siu hospital thereabouts.
the one at tai seng was a small one...very primitive kind of processing...

the upper serangoon one is called Tan Moh Hong Crocodile Farm
east coast used to have one too....

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my aunty used to stay there. visit her and stay at her place over night before. remember all really kampong and attap houses. got shophouse meh???