• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Looking for a good multi-vitamin?

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's ok, no worries, you take care!:smile:

Thanks for the offer but I've found alternatives that didn't require going under the knife. :smile:

In my case, I had too many blockages for stenting to work. The only option he gave me was a very risky open heart surgery. Fortunately I found a clinic that did ECCP(enhanced external counter pulsation) treatment. Using EECP, chelation & using natural supplements I'm now doing ok.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the offer but I've found alternatives that didn't require going under the knife. :smile:

In my case, I had too many blockages for stenting to work. The only option he gave me was a very risky open heart surgery. Fortunately I found a clinic that did ECCP(enhanced external counter pulsation) treatment. Using EECP, chelation & using natural supplements I'm now doing ok.

You sure have lots of supplments vits and minierals at home. I believed Hawker food is sinful which is why they are tasty. I only store Omega 3 and multivitamin, not sure if they are enough. You patronised i-herbs site for your regularly top-up supplments?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You sure have lots of supplments vits and minierals at home. I believed Hawker food is sinful which is why they are tasty. I only store Omega 3 and multivitamin, not sure if they are enough. You patronised i-herbs site for your regularly top-up supplments?

Even with supplements there is a therapeutic dose & a daily dose. Now that I am free from angina, I think I can reduce & streamline what I'm taking:smile:

I've gotten my supplements from various sources, locally as well as from international sources. Locally from Eden Health, GNC, Natures Farm, Mustaffa, Unity.. , from Malaysia. From the US , other than iHerb I've also tried Vitacost, Healthdesigns, etc.

So far I've found that iHerb provides the best service for international customers. In the US some companies take 1 month to send the products to Spore , even though they charge courier charges:rolleyes: Some companies might be cheaper but iHerb has one of the better selection of products & they make the effort to properly pack the products. They also rotate their stocks which I suspect stores like Mustaffa have a problem with:o

iHerb has alot of interesting products: honey, nuts, snack bars, health juices, fluor ... What I usually do is make a large order every 3 months for family & friends. Some products are better if they are couriered to Spore e.g. Udo oils, because they have a limited shelf life. Some like the pomegranate & seabuckthorn juices are too heavy to be mailed because they are in glass bottles. I also do smaller orders whenever they have these free shipping offers to top up my cashew nut stocks.

Fortunately the standard of hawker food in Spore is down. So for me it's quite easy to resist:biggrin: Problem for me is when I travel, because I tend to break my diet:wink:

There are plenty of good health product companies out there. The 2 products I have recommended are just a few of the good products these companies put out. It's not like in Spore where NTUC or Raffles will OEM products. Many people think supplements are useless because they've probably only taken inferior products

You might want to consider some products which help with sugar control even if you are not suffering from diabetes. I've read many people are borderline diabetics & products like green coffee bean extract helps with sugar & weight control. It might also help to avoid cancer & heart disease.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/jan2012_Discovering-Coffees-Unique-Health-Benefits_01.htm

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was googling around find out what is considered . is considered essential
Was really surprised that some people don't think it's actually necessary:eek:

From personal experience I know that supplementing was very helpfull & I couldn't function without it. I found the following article expresses my feelings as to why supplementing is necessary.

Easier to read from the site at:
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Why_Supplements_Are_Necessary.shtml

From the Rodale book, Renewal: The Anti-Aging Revolution: Thanks to Mother Nature.Com for the use of this material.

Why Supplements Are Necessary--And Introducing the Optimum Daily Allowances

It is often necessary to make decisions on the basis of information sufficient for action, but insufficient to satisfy the intellect.

--Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), German philosopher

I hear it all the time from my patients: "Dr. Smith, I'm eating just like you told me to--lots of grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables, nothing fatty or sugary. Now you're recommending supplements, too? Taking so many pills just doesn't seem natural. If Mother Nature felt I needed extra nutrients, wouldn't she have put them in my food?"

It's a perfectly valid question, and one which you may have wondered about at one time or another. I'll tell you exactly what I tell my patients: If you want to fight disease and achieve maximum life span, you can't do it with diet alone. You need the extra nutritional boost that only supplements can provide.

Lots of folks take supplements nowadays. For as many as 40 percent of American adults--about 100 million of us--these pills have become nutritional staples. They're also the backbone of a thriving, $10-billion-per-year industry.

In many ways, supplements are to humans what fertilizer is to plants. Give a plant adequate amounts of sunlight and water, and it will survive. Add some nutrient-rich fertilizer (organic, of course), and the plant will thrive.

For us humans, the same principle applies. A healthful, balanced diet supplies the body with sufficient nutrients to carry out routine tasks. Supplements such as vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, phytochemicals, and more enrich the body's internal environment to fortify cellular protection, repair, and regeneration and support the Renewal process.

Mother Nature's Ulterior Motive

Of course, supplements, at least as we know them, haven't been around all that long. How did our ancestors survive without them? To be painfully blunt, they didn't.

You see, Mother Nature has never cared about optimum health. Nor has she concerned herself with longevity. Her main objective is survival and propagation of the species. So she programmed us humans to survive on even the crummiest diet, nutrition-wise, into our twenties, when we're old enough to reproduce. Beyond that, we're on our own.

This genetic twist is a throwback to primitive times, when supermarkets and refrigerators didn't exist and food was not always plentiful. Those who could stay alive on very slim pickins had a tremendous survival advantage.

Over thousands of years, one generation has passed its "survival genes" on to the next. So thanks to our ancestors, we are equipped to subsist on minuscule amounts of the essential nutrients, just in case a famine comes along. But as I said before, this insurance policy remains effective only into our twenties--just long enough for us to reproduce. It includes no provision for aging.

By the time we reach our twenties, we have established lifelong eating habits. And because our survival genes have protected us from the adverse effects of our dietary transgressions, we have no reason to believe that what we're eating (or not eating) is doing us any harm. So we continue feeding ourselves nutritionally vacant junk foods, unaware that they're quietly eroding our health. Often we don't see the effects for several decades.

The point here is this: Even with a lousy diet, we can remain fairly healthy through our first 30 to 40 years of life. But if we want to achieve optimum health and maximum life span, the nutritional bare bones just won't cut it. We need to eat nutritious foods, and we need to take supplements.

In the Red

In part 2, I introduced you to the Anti-Aging Diet, which is designed to get your dietary habits on track for Renewal. If you're like most Americans, you haven't been eating as healthfully as you could.

The standard American diet gets 45 percent of its calories from fat and another 35 percent from sugar. In other words, 80 percent of the calories we consume provide none of the nutrients that our bodies need. Incredibly, despite our dietary excesses and an epidemic of obesity, as a nation we are underfed.

One interesting study examined the incidence of vitamin deficiencies in a randomly selected group of hospital patients. Using the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) as the standards, 88 percent of the 120 patients came up short in at least one vitamin. Many showed multiple deficiencies. Only 12 percent tested at "normal" levels.

Diet is not the sole force behind the national plague of nutrient deficiencies. Other factors include the following:

* Alcohol consumption (depletes B vitamins, vitamin C, most minerals, and antioxidants)

* Allergies and infections (deplete vitamins A and C and zinc, among other nutrients)

* Exposure to air pollutants and other toxins (depletes antioxidants)

* Smoking (depletes antioxidants)

* Stress (depletes all nutrients, especially B vitamins and vitamin C)

Some people simply require more of certain nutrients than the general population does. Children and older adults tend to need a bit extra, as do pregnant women. Others with increased nutritional demands include those who diet and those who exercise strenuously.

Then, too, some foods that we eat because we think they're healthful have actually been stripped of their nutrients before they get to our plates. Whole wheat loses 75 percent of its B vitamins, minerals, and fiber when it is milled into flour. Likewise, rice loses most of its vitamins, minerals, and fiber when it's polished to turn it from brown to white. Even the soil that these and other plant-derived foods grow in is often nutrient-depleted.

Short by Any Standard

Nutrient deficiencies have become the norm in the United States. As the following statistics suggest, many of us are having a hard time fulfilling our bodies' most basic nutritional needs. The percentages in this table are based on the Recommended Dietary Allowances, which many experts now say are inadequate. Imagine how poorly we'd fare if the required nutrient intakes were higher.

NUTRIENT U.S. POPULATION (%)
Vitamin B690

Magnesium

Calcium

Iron

Vitamin A

Thiamin

Vitamin C

Riboflavin

Vitamin B12

Niacin

The Price of Poor Nutrition

Initially, the body hints of a nutrient shortfall with any of a hodgepodge of minor symptoms: fatigue, weakness, insomnia, irritability, nervousness, depression, poor concentration, memory loss, aches and pains, recurrent infections, allergies, circulatory problems, and just not feeling good. These are the vague symptoms that drive patients to doctors, and drive doctors up a diagnostic tree. Because most conventionally trained physicians have little education or experience in nutrition, they're unable to make the connection between a patient's complaints and a nutrient deficiency. Then when the test results come back normal (as they usually do in such cases), the symptoms tend to be dismissed as "all in your head"--or, even worse, as "a natural part of aging."

If doctors do prescribe treatment, they usually bypass nutritional supplements in favor of drugs such as anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, tranquilizers, and the like. These not only mask symptoms but also deplete nutrient stores even further. This accelerates the degenerative process, which is the forerunner of disease and aging.

Chronic nutrient deficiencies invariably lead to serious health problems. Data collected from large populations show that as the availability of nutrients declines, the frequency of illness increases. Unfortunately, when heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis, or some other serious deficiency-driven condition develops, neither doctor nor patient is likely to realize that the symptoms had begun years before.

Explaining the Exceptions

Ultimately, nutrient deficiencies deprive us of years of life. The average American survives only into his seventies or, if he's lucky, his eighties. Yes, there's always someone who beats these odds and lives to a ripe old age--a 101-year-old Aunt Edna or Uncle Frank who eats nothing but junk food, swigs coffee all morning and downs a shot of whiskey before bed, smokes two packs of cigarettes a day, and has never swallowed a single multivitamin. The fact that such folks live as long as they do is truly remarkable. Unfortunately, they give the rest of us an opportunity to rationalize our own eating habits and lifestyles.

Very few individuals are so genetically well-endowed that they need only stay out of harm's way to survive to age 90 or beyond. For every one of them, there are thousands of the rest of us. And if they took better care of themselves, they could last even longer. Why, Aunt Edna or Uncle Frank might live to see 120.

Shoring Up with Supplements

All of us can take a giant leap toward longevity just by taking supplements. Supplementation not only protects against deficiency but also bridges the gap between average nutrition, which culminates in premature death, and optimum nutrition, which extends life span by decades. The extra nutrients that supplements provide prevent marauding free radicals from harming healthy cells, speed the repair and regeneration of damaged cells, and facilitate Renewal. The upshot of all this is a longer, healthier, more vital life.

Supplements are intended to enhance the nutrient density of your diet. By nutrient density, I mean the ratio of micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients) to macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). The higher this ratio, the healthier your diet.

The Anti-Aging Diet, for instance, has a naturally top-notch nutrient density. Supplements boost the ratio even higher because they supply nothing but essential nutrients--no carbohydrates, protein, or fat.

The combination of a nutrient-dense diet and supplements creates an environment conducive to peak cellular performance. When your cells thrive, your body thrives--and that translates into extra decades of optimum health.

Reading between the (Requirement) Lines

So which nutrients do you need, and in what amounts? Opinions vary. The Recommended Dietary Allowances have been the accepted standard since the early 1940s. But now nutrition researchers generally agree that the RDAs fall far short when it comes to preventing chronic degenerative diseases, promoting optimum health, and extending life.

The RDAs were first established for the purpose of protecting people against severe nutrient deficiency diseases such as beriberi (thiamin deficiency), pellagra (niacin deficiency), and scurvy (vitamin C deficiency). Even though they've been updated several times over the years, the RDAs still do not acknowledge the link between chronic marginal nutrient deficiencies and chronic degenerative diseases. Yet thousands of studies have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that long-term low-grade malnutrition causes or aggravates virtually all of our deadliest illnesses, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and autoimmune disorders (in which the immune system turns against the body). It also contributes to a host of less-serious health problems that nevertheless erode one's quality of life, including cataracts, hearing loss, insomnia, and rheumatism (pain and inflammation in muscles and joints).

Just as poor nutrition can precipitate disease, peak nutrition can prevent it. Here again, the RDAs are woefully inadequate. They advocate nutrient intakes well below the levels that overwhelming scientific evidence supports as necessary to protect against heart disease, cancer, and all the other conditions mentioned above.

The Real Ideal Intake

Achieving the dual goals of optimum health and maximum life span requires nutrient intakes beyond what the RDAs advocate and what diet alone can supply. I recommend replacing the outmoded RDAs with the Optimum Daily Allowances, or ODAs.

The ODAs are the ranges of nutrient dosages prescribed by nutrition-oriented doctors. Each range represents a consensus of experts and is based on thousands of published peer-reviewed studies that determined the nutrient levels necessary to prevent and treat chronic degenerative diseases.

While the RDAs provide only short-term protection against serious acute nutrient deficiencies, the ODAs are necessary to sustain optimum health and support Renewal. Take vitamin E as an example. The human body can get along just fine on the RDA of 30 international units (IU). But it needs at least 13 times that amount to have a fighting chance at staying disease-free and lasting 120 years.

Diet Won't Do It

The ODAs far exceed the nutrient levels that diet alone can supply. Supplementation is absolutely essential.

Again, let's use vitamin E as an example. The RDA of 30 IU--the amount necessary to stave off deficiency-related illness--is difficult to get from even the best food sources. So you can imagine the challenge of meeting the ODA of 400 to 1,600 IU without the aid of supplements.

Sunflower seeds have more vitamin E than any other food. To get 400 IU of the nutrient, which is the amount provided by a typical multivitamin or a vitamin E capsule, you'd have to eat 1½ pounds of seeds every day. Even the most ardent sunflower seed fan would find this a bit hard to swallow.

Other vitamin Erich foods fare even worse. To meet the ODA, you'd have to eat one of the following every day.

* More than 2 pounds of wheat germ

* More than 3 pounds of almonds

* 10 pounds--about 40 ears--of fresh corn

* More than 33 pounds of spinach

* 50 pounds of broccoli or butter

Hmmm . . . hope you're hungry.

You have to admit, getting your vitamin E in pill form seems a lot easier (not to mention a lot less filling). And believe me, E is one nutrient that you don't want to run low on. An antioxidant, it scavenges free radicals, stimulates the immune system, protects against cancer and cardiovascular disease (such as hardening of the arteries, angina, heart attack, and stroke), and inhibits the formation of cataracts. For these and many other reasons, vitamin E is a key player in the Renewal process.

Another key player is vitamin C. Like vitamin E, vitamin C is an antioxidant with proven anti-aging effects. It scavenges free radicals, bolsters the immune system, speeds healing, protects against infection, lowers cholesterol, and helps prevent cancer and atherosclerosis (hardening and clogging of the arteries).

To reap these benefits, you need much more vitamin C than the RDA of 60 milligrams. This amount may prevent scurvy, a nutrient deficiency disease that's virtually unheard of these days, but it won't support Renewal. For this, you need the ODA of 1,000 to 10,000 milligrams.

Suppose you're aiming for the low end of the ODA range. To get 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C from foods alone, you'd have to eat 5 cantaloupes, 10 cups of strawberries, 12 bell peppers, 12 cups of raw broccoli, 13 grapefruit, 15 oranges, 40 baked potatoes, 50 red ripe tomatoes, or 62 cups of raw spinach. Every day. And these are the best food sources of vitamin C.

Personally, I recommend an even higher vitamin C intake--2,000 to 6,000 milligrams a day. I base this dosage on reams of research reports as well as on 20 years of clinical practice, during which I've prescribed a great deal of vitamin C to a great many patients for a great many conditions. With the newer, polyascorbate form of vitamin C (called ester-C), you don't have to worry about gastric upset and diarrhea--even at higher doses. This form has more than twice the bioavailability of ascorbic acid, so you need only half as much--1,000 to 3,000 milligrams a day.

For one final example, let's take a look at the carotenoid clan. More than 600 carotenoids have been identified so far. The best known of the bunch is beta-carotene, which your body converts to vitamin A. In fact, both beta-carotene and vitamin A protect against cancers of the larynx, lungs, esophagus, gastrointestinal tract, colon, rectum, breasts, cervix, bladder, prostate, and skin.

To get even a modest daily dose of beta-carotene--say, 20,000 international units, which is actually less than the ODA--you'd have to consume 2 cups of collard greens, 4 large carrots, 7 cups of spinach, 8 cups of broccoli, 10 apricots, 14 cups of prunes, 15 peaches, 30 cups of yellow squash, or 40 cups of zucchini. You're better off taking a supplement that contains mixed natural carotenoids, not just beta-carotene. This way, you're getting the healthiest combination of carotenoids for superior disease-defying powers.

The Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) have come under fire as being too low to prevent chronic degenerative diseases and slow aging. Nutrition-minded experts advocate the Optimum Daily Allowances (ODAs). Here's how the two intakes compare for key anti-aging vitamins and minerals.

Note: The RDAs are for people ages 25 to 50. The ODAs are appropriate for adult men and for adult women who are not pregnant or lactating. They are not intended for children under age 15.

NUTRIENT RDA ODA
Men Women
Vitamins
A 1,000 mcg. RE 800 mcg. RE 1,000-*10,000 IU
(5,000 IU) (4,000 IU)
B6 ( pyridoxine ) 2 mg. 1.6 mg. 25-*250 mg.
(as pyridoxal-5-
phosphate)
B12 2 mcg. 2 mcg. 500-*2,000 mcg.
Beta-carotene none none 25,000-*100,000 IU
Biotin 30*-100 mcg.* 30-*100 mcg.* 200-*800 mcg.
C 60 mg. 60 mg. 675*-3,000 mg.
(as ester-C, the
preferable form)
D 5 mcg. (200 IU) 5 mcg. (200 IU) 200*-1,000 IU
E 10 mg. alpha- 8 mg. alpha- 400-*1,600 IU*
tocopherol tocopherol (as mixed
equivalents equivalents tocopherols)
(15 IU) (12 IU)
Folic acid 200 mcg. 180 mcg. 800*-2,000 mcg.
Niacin/niacin- 19 mg. 15 mg. 50-*250 mg.
amide (B3)
Pantothenic 4*-7 mg.* 4*-7 mg.* 60*-2,000 mg.
acid (B5)
Riboflavin (B2) 1.7 mg. 1.3 mg. 50-*250 mg.
(as riboflavin
5'-phosphate)
Thiamin (B1) 1.5 mg. 1.1 mg. 100-*250 mg.
Minerals
Boron none none 1-*3 mg.
Calcium 800 mg. 800 mg. 1,000*-2,000 mg.
Chromium 50*-200 mcg.* 50-*200 mcg.* 100*-600 mcg.
Copper 1.5-*3 mg.* 1.5*-3 mg.* 1*-3 mg.
Iodine 150 mcg. 150 mcg. 225 mcg.
Iron 10 mg. 15 mg. 0*-40 mg.
Magnesium 350 mg. 280 mg. 500*-1,000 mg.**
Manganese 2*-5 mg.* 2-*5 mg.* 5*-15 mg.
Molybdenum 75-*250 mcg.* 75-*250 mcg.* 75-*250 mcg.
Potassium none none 100*-500 mg.
Selenium 70 mcg. 55 mcg. 100-*300 mcg.
Vanadium none none 25-*100 mcg.
Zinc 15 mg. 12 mg. 15*-50 mg.

*The amount listed is the Estimated Safe and Adequate Daily Dietary Intake, as recommended by the Committee on Dietary Allowances of the National Academy of Sciences' Food and Nutrition Board.

*People who are taking blood thinners should consult their doctors before taking supplemental vitamin E.

**Supplemental magnesium may cause diarrhea in some people.

Eliminating Waste?

Beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E are just three of the 100 or so nutrients that your body needs every day. Imagine how much food you'd have to eat to meet 100 ODAs. Your daily calorie intake would be astronomical.

Despite claims to the contrary, you simply cannot achieve optimum nutrition through diet alone. Even the healthiest, most balanced diet supplies the essential nutrients in amounts far below what are necessary to prevent life-shortening degenerative diseases.

Frankly, I'm amazed that supplementation still generates as much controversy as it does. To me, as to most nutrition-minded doctors, the real threat to health and to life lies in not supplementing.

Detractors often charge that supplements do nothing more than create expensive urine. If you take a multivitamin, for example, you may have noticed that it makes your urine turn bright yellow. This does not mean the nutrients are passing through your body unused.

When you ingest water-soluble vitamins--namely, the B vitamins and vitamin C--your body stores as much as it can in its tissues. Then when the tissues reach their saturation point, any excess nutrient is excreted via the kidneys. So bright yellow urine doesn't mean that your body is wasting precious nutrients. On the contrary, it tells you that nutrients are in abundant supply and that your nutritional insurance policy is in force.

Frankly, I'm worried when my urine is clear. The absence of the telltale gold color warns me that my nutrient levels may be dangerously low. Consequently, my body isn't able to protect, repair, and replace cells as well as it should. If this nutrient shortage goes on for long, it will shut down the Renewal process, leaving my cells vulnerable to degeneration. What critics refer to as expensive urine, knowledgeable doctors view as a sign of optimum nutrition.

Your Best Investment

Without optimum nutrition, you cannot achieve optimum health. And without supplements, you cannot achieve optimum nutrition. It's as simple as that.

Look at it this way: For the price of a basic multivitamin, you can protect yourself against heart disease, cancer, and all the other health problems associated with chronic low-grade nutrient deficiencies. In the process, you supercharge Renewal and put the brakes on aging.

Personally, I can't think of any investment that pays higher dividends than that.

In the next chapter, we'll examine the relationship between nutrition and disease a bit more closely. We'll pay special attention to atherosclerosis, which is the most common and most deadly of all deficiency-driven health problems. Atherosclerosis develops silently--that is, its symptoms do not appear until it is far advanced. It's also highly preventable, with a little help from supplements.

Notice: This book is intended as a reference volume only, not as a medical manual. The information given here is designed to help you make informed decisions about your health. It is not intended as a substitute for any treatment that may have been prescribed by your doctor. If you suspect that you have a medical problem, we urge you to seek competent medical help. Copyright © 1998 by Rodale Inc. All rights reserved.

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro ! rgt now i m having high chlolesterol of ard 248 n fatty liver. Did lots of exercises, some dieting n supplements = Omega fish oil + Vit k7 + coQ10.... only slight improvement. I did substituted flaxseed tablets for fish oil last 3 months. Took them as according to the labels but only recently the sales person at GNC told me i have to take double since i hv high chlolestrol. My doctor has asked me to go on statin....wat do u think ? tks !

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro ! rgt now i m having high chlolesterol of ard 248 n fatty liver. Did lots of exercises, some dieting n supplements = Omega fish oil + Vit k7 + coQ10.... only slight improvement. I did substituted flaxseed tablets for fish oil last 3 months. Took them as according to the labels but only recently the sales person at GNC told me i have to take double since i hv high chlolestrol. My doctor has asked me to go on statin....wat do u think ? tks !

I'm taking Udo's liquid blend of Omega oils. The recommended dose is 1 tablespoon per 50 pounds of body weight. In my case I'm taking at least 3 tablespoons per day. The reason I'm using the liquid form is for better absorption & to cut down on the number of capsules I have to swallow. Nothing wrong with taking even more.

If someone has health problems, it has taken years to develop & one has to be patient because it's going to take time to improve. For example it took me about 3 years of life style change & supplementation to reach the point where I no longer have angina pains.

To speed up the healing process you should also avoid fried foods & ALL hydogenated oils(trans fats). That means no more processed foods:( Increase your veggie & fruit intake e.g. green supplementation. I am not your doctor but when my doctor suggested Statins I told him NO. There are healthier alternatives out there without the dangers of statins. If you really must take statins, you might want to consider red yeast rice. FYI, statins are derived from red yeast rice. If you are taking red yeast/statins you will have to increase your CoQ10 supplementation because statins/red yeast depletes CoQ10 levels.

High cholesterol levels is not always bad. Some people have naturally high cholesterol levels. There's also the issue of good & bad cholesterol. So give the changes some time to take affect.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suffered a heart attack many years ago. Have gone through many supplements and countless blood test.
Now back to taking medications religiously for hypentension, statins and blood thinner, supplemented occasionally by various simple vitamins.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Suffered a heart attack many years ago. Have gone through many supplements and countless blood test.
Now back to taking medications religiously for hypentension, statins and blood thinner, supplemented occasionally by various simple vitamins.

Sorry to hear that :(

You should really consider adding more than simple supplements to your diet. Those drugs can really be killers & a burden to the body & you'll need a good diet. I remember getting nose bleeds from some of the meds I was taking. I think it was the Plavix that caused the bleeding. Nasty stuff & it cost $$$. You can get the same drugs for a lower price in Malaysia.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to hear that :(

You should really consider adding more than simple supplements to your diet. Those drugs can really be killers & a burden to the body & you'll need a good diet. I remember getting nose bleeds from some of the meds I was taking. I think it was the Plavix that caused the bleeding. Nasty stuff & it cost $$$. You can get the same drugs for a lower price in Malaysia.

No need to be sorry. In fact I am so much healthier than before the attack.
After the angio plasty the body is like being reset to "default settings".

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johnny ! thanks for sharing appreciate tat. Many yrs back i had constipation n someone at the old sammyboy dephi forum posted abt consuming 2 kiwis a day. I tried almost everything from the doctor to bananas to dates etc n they never work for me. Luckily the kiwis works well for me till this day so sometimes these natural cures really works !

Townair

Alfrescian
Loyal
I eat mostly hawker and fast foods. I know they're unhealthy to very unhealthy but there's no choice. I try to vary around and cut down on salt and sugar as much as possible, e.g. never wet plate of rice full of curry and braised sauce, just enough to be tasty. Also never finish whole bowl of soup, never even more than half, just enough to make eating noodle tasty. My breakfast is most standard. Almost every breakfast is traditional coffeeshop 2 kaya and butter toast, 2 eggs half boiled with a little dark soya sauce and pepper, and kopi-C less sugar. Only supplement I take is fish oil capsule after hearing about omega. 1 or 2 capsules per day. And maybe chicken essence once a while if you count that as supplement.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to be sorry. In fact I am so much healthier than before the attack.
After the angio plasty the body is like being reset to "default settings".

Many americans who have undergone angioplasty soon have the same problems again when their arteries clog up again because they've never made the necessary adjustment to their diet. The fact that you experienced a reset is because you have made the necessary lifestyle changes.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny ! thanks for sharing appreciate tat. Many yrs back i had constipation n someone at the old sammyboy dephi forum posted abt consuming 2 kiwis a day. I tried almost everything from the doctor to bananas to dates etc n they never work for me. Luckily the kiwis works well for me till this day so sometimes these natural cures really works !

When I had constipation what I found that taking omega oils , Vit E, magnesium all had the effect of making me go :o
So too did fiber drinks such as a product named Profibe. Profibe helps to clear the arteries if you suffer from atherosclerosis. Fibre also helps with cholesterol problems.

I was taking some supplements for the diuretic effects but since I started taking the greens I don't need the diuretics because the greens help in tha department.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny hv u tried niacin for high chlolesterol before ?

I've read that niacin helps with cholesterol but never got around to using it because I don't have a cholesterol problem. I've become almost a vegetarian. The only meat I eat is fish, eggs, and of sometimes chicken rice.

I

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I eat mostly hawker and fast foods. I know they're unhealthy to very unhealthy but there's no choice. I try to vary around and cut down on salt and sugar as much as possible, e.g. never wet plate of rice full of curry and braised sauce, just enough to be tasty. Also never finish whole bowl of soup, never even more than half, just enough to make eating noodle tasty. My breakfast is most standard. Almost every breakfast is traditional coffeeshop 2 kaya and butter toast, 2 eggs half boiled with a little dark soya sauce and pepper, and kopi-C less sugar. Only supplement I take is fish oil capsule after hearing about omega. 1 or 2 capsules per day. And maybe chicken essence once a while if you count that as supplement.

They use too much msg in hawker food. It's what gives hawker food taste. One of the bad things about msg is that it makes you fat:( If you can lose weight it will avoid many of the problems linked to the heart & diabetes. Since I now eat healthier home cooked meals, I am now more sensitive. Whenever I eat most hawker foods I experience a bad taste in my mouth & feel thirsty. It's the msg that I'm tasting. :(

Kaya is sugar. If you can burn all that sugar with physical activity than it shouldn't be a problem. However many of us become sedentary & our metabolism slows down when we age. We put on extra pounds each year. By the time we reach middle age many discover that we are obese. It is also when we start having complications with type II diabetes & with our heart, prostate cancer, breast cancer, etc

Suggest you take more omega. If you have enough good oils it may prevent some problems. 1 to 2 capsules is not enough. The engineered oils that hawkers use for cooking is unhealthy & some people believe these oils contribute to the increase of health problem we are seeing. Oils that are engineered for long shelf life may not be healthy for human

The Udo oils I take recommend 1 table spoon per 25kg weight. You can use this as a guideline for how much oils to consume.
Don't forget to add veggie & fruits .

The years I spent in school prepared me for for subjects like calculus, trigonometry,... but not what to eat:eek:
Is it any wonder that Sporeans are suffering from ill health:confused:

Below is an articall about why msg is unhealthy

http://blessedquietness.com/journal/theworld/msg.htm

MSG- Monosodium Glutamate

The world's most pervasive food additive--
NEW- Video section added below

What is MSG, why is MSG in food of all sorts, and why is it such a big issue with my additive conscious friends?

This food additive explains many ailments in many people. Much legend and myth is being passed around about MSG to make it seem innocent. In fact, it can cause many different reactions, in some people fatal.

There are stimulants, which are approved by the Federal Drug Administration, which always disrupt healthy function of the endocrine system. That is, if you include them in your diet. MSG may be the most pervasive.

At the left is Professor Kikunae Ikeda who isolated MSG from sea weed in Japan in 1908. Since then, the chemical has been mass produced in free form and used by the ton to add to our food. What the professor discovered might have been quite benign, but once big food manufacturers got ahold of it, it has become a virtual poison in stimulant form.

The stimulants which affect health the most are sugar eaten alone, MSG (monosodium glutamate), Aspartame, and high fructose corn syrup. There are many others, but these four are used heavily by most Americans.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is something you have to find on food labels because it is hidden by obscure substitute terms in grocery store products. Food producers know very well that, (a) MSG causes physical issues for many people, and (b) many of you know it. They INTENTIONALLY try to hide the fact that MSG is used in the food.

The fact that you feel not symptoms when you eat MSG does NOT mean your system is not reacting. It simply means you FEEL nothing.

MSG is often the cause of insomnia, but it may cause migraine headaches, Alzheimer's disease, temporary blindness, fainting, instant diarrhea, and many other reactions. MSG goes through the brain barrier, which is very rare with most agents and drugs. Once in your brain, it picks at random some area of the brain and turns it on full blast. The result is that some function of your body goes hyper, and you suffer a "reaction."

MSG does not belong in the human body. It can disrupt the normal appetite functions and prevent you from losing weight. http://www.newstarget.com/001975.html

MSG is not added to food of virtually every sort. It enhances flavor, and, without exception, it is added because the food being prepared for sale to the public is of low quality due to cheap ingredients or due to too long shelf life. Some have claimed that it is a fifth taste group of its own, as in sour, bitter, sweet, etc. If this is true, it does not change how it affects people, and the fact that it gives your taste buds a rush is no reason for just letting food producers feed it to you.

The only possibly innocent use of MSG is in the preparation of sausage and other meats. It prevents the sausage from turning brown. Long ago, people simply accepted the fact that sausage turned brown when it sat a while, but it turned a cooked color when fried. MSG treated sausage looks exactly the same as untreated sausage after you fry it. This is purely a cosmetic issue, and it does not justify the risks involved.

There are natural sources of MSG which means they may turn up in your food. The food sources found below in the orange box are technically a food source, and many people who are sensitive to manufactured MSG can tolerate natural sources. The point is, manufactured MSG and naturally found MSG are not the same in the way they affect your body. In fact, your body produces a small quantity of MSG to use in stimulation of normal functions. But, like other chemicals, what the body makes, or gleans from food, and what is added in commercial food preparation, can make the difference between great health and a trip to ER.

MSG is found in sea weed, pectin, gelatin, and other such food sources. When these natural MSG carrying foods are added to the cooked food, the flavor is enhanced. Much Oriental food would taste blah if it were not for natural sources of MSG added to the cooking process.

In India, south Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Mexico where plenty of aromatic and hot spices are used, MSG is pointless and seldom used.

The problem is, food producers of the world have learned that packaged foods, and restaurant foods, will be more highly sought after if MSG, natural or manufactured, are added. While other nations, like Australia, have banned all use of MSG, the US FDA claims that MSG is harmless. The use of MSG makes people partly sick, and this is a great formula for Big Pharma to come to the rescue. Is it possible that the FDA and Big Pharma are so morally calloused that they would look the other way in order to cause people to have health issues. Why would they do this? If you are a Bible believer, you have the answer:

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

So, in the absence of real research, YOU are your own laboratory. My son, and friends in Austin, Texas, and myself, are included. We have had to stop using MSG as an experiment. Millions of Americans have learned by this method that they stopped having reactions and complications when they stopped eating food with MSG added. For this reason, the banning of MSG is becoming a populist activity. Thousands of restaurants and food products are advertised as "MSG free." The US Government could not care less about this rather deadly chemical.

So, it is DIY time for you. MSG, like almost all other food additives, is nonessential to your well being and health. You do not NEED MSG to enjoy food, that is, unless you want to eat old stale swill and wish to taste it as fresh and exciting. Self-deception can result in a rush for the moment, but afterward, you suffer for it. The rush may even be to ER.

You need to make a list of symptoms you and your family suffer, especially anywhere from fifteen minutes to twenty four hours after eating MSG laced food. Like marijuana and crack, MSG will turn on some area of your brain, and you will get a corresponding response in just about any kind of physical event.

Diarrhea may follow a dose of MSG in as little as twenty minutes. This is because the MSG is being absorbed through the stomach lining, rushing to the brain, and the brain is telling your plumbing department that it is under new management. The result is that you will have to rush to a restroom immediately or you will totally lose control. Other people do not have this, but severe headache results. Some people have heart related reactions, such as tachecardia or blood pressure spikes for no apparent reason. I personally have a blood pressure spike which is terrifying. I am talking about a systolic of 245 or higher. That is stroke territory.

The problem is, if you have a adrenal or cardio response, you also go into fight and flight mode. This is totally impossible to rationalize with what is happening around you. You don't know what is happening when this first hits you. So, you panic, and that causes the response to MSG to be magnified even more. Twice I have ended up in ER from a MSG reaction.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi johnny, my so and so is a cardiologist. if you need 2nd opinion, pm me.:smile:

yes, seen good people who have never done a single bad thing in life facing undesirable consequences. :*:

it don't pay to be a good person perhaps, must behave like lky's acidic cronies...:rolleyes:

Two main reasons to long life.
1. Physical - food, weight, exercise etc..
2. Emotional - Mentality

Like the saying "laughter is the best medicine" not bcos u laugh a lot, but if u're happy u're less stressed u live longer. :P

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johnny if i order the udo oil online how many did u order at one go ? actually went down to GNC n bought one today n i noticed it must be refrigerated n very short expiry date. In this case can u advise on the no of bottles ? tks bro !