• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everyone

Will be getting keys soon . need advice on whether to install grills for the whole house. was thinking of just installing grills for the ground floor only. Thanks

Hongqigong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wahhhha ha ha.. latex gloves, sure you talking from experience?

I always mention that I have MACS.
A few times I accidentally mention even to the Singapore customs but most of them prefer KFC.

But twice happened recently, because now no need white card, the Malaysian side still chop my passport.
One sheepishly wrote VOID over the arrival chop, while the second customs officer apologised profusedly until I paiseh and tell him small matter all it cost me was a little space on my passport page.

As long as got valid MACS, but still kena chop then you are in the clear and not your fault.

But if no MACS but past ARRIVAL chop still lonely bachelor, then get ready for naked squats while they put on latex gloves..

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
This afternoon I drove to HH to take peak inside. The main gate security just wave me in without asking me if I'm visiting or resident there. Wondering is that normal? Shouldn't they be more stringent with security checks?

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
This afternoon I drove to HH to take peak inside. The main gate security just wave me in without asking me if I'm visiting or resident there. Wondering is that normal? Shouldn't they be more stringent with security checks?
It's normal for main gate security. Normally checks made on lorries and vans. The individual precincts are more stringent and would raise concern if they did not check details of visitors......

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some more news articles:

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/busi...-jv-talks-to-announce-other-big-projects.html

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/business-news/223515-credit-suisse-uem-land-an-undervalued-stock.html

As per the second article, a Credit Suisse analyst has estimated that "real estate demand in Nusajaya is three times more than supply". The analyst goes on to state that "demand stems from two market segments which comprise house buyers who are also seeking employment in Nusajaya, and Singapore nationals who opt to live across the causeway to capitalise on the lower cost of living in Malaysia".

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got an offer recently for my Sky Suites Studio 2k/mth, abv 20th floor. I hope to rent it at 2.5k for Full furnish. Is it doable?

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 10, 2012

Rise in Singapore's investments in Iskandar Malaysia

SINGAPORE'S cumulative investments in Iskandar Malaysia increased by more than a third in just over the first half of this year. The republic remains the leading foreign source of capital for the Johor-based economic zone with one out of every six dollars of foreign capital that flows in there coming from Singapore.

As at July this year, Singapore's total cumulative investments in Iskandar Malaysia were at RM6.15 billion (S$2.46 billion), compared to RM4.56 billion as at December 2011, the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) told BT yesterday.

The latest figures show that Singapore's total committed capital flow into Iskandar Malaysia grew by RM1.59 billion, or 34.9 per cent, in the first seven months of this year. The bulk of Singapore's investments were in traditional sectors, as IRDA reported that 77 per cent of Singapore's total cumulative investments in the zone were in manufacturing alone. The rest of the capital from Singapore went into the healthcare, education and property sectors.

The significant increase in Singapore's investments in Iskandar Malaysia from January-July 2012 is in line with the region's strong showing in attracting capital this year. Ismail Ibrahim, chief executive of IRDA, announced yesterday that Iskandar Malaysia recorded a total cumulative investment of RM15 billion this year alone.

Nearly a third of this amount came in the third quarter of 2012 itself, as BT's earlier reports show that in the first six months of the year, Iskandar Malaysia had secured RM10.67 billion of new committed investment.

Overall, Iskandar Malaysia recorded a total cumulative investment of RM99.79 billion in various sectors, IRDA reported yesterday, with 42 per cent of the total committed investment being realised as at September this year.

"We have been very aggressive in our promotional efforts to attract more investors into Iskandar Malaysia. I am very happy to note catalytic projects such as Legoland Malaysia have also helped reinforce the value proposition of Iskandar Malaysia on the global platform," said Mr Ismail. "We are confident that we will soon breach the RM100 billion mark."

Of the total cumulative committed investment mentioned, 63 per cent or RM62.7 billion are domestic investments, with the remaining 37 per cent coming from outside Malaysia. This means that Singapore's investments in Iskandar Malaysia account for 16.58 per cent, or one-sixth, of the total RM37.09 billion of foreign investments there.

According to IRDA, this made Singapore the largest foreign investor in the economic region as at July 2012, beating Spain and Japan respectively.

The latest data, according to Mr Ismail, also reflected the growing confidence of the local investments towards Iskandar Malaysia.

"In 2008, the ratio was 45 per cent domestic (sources of investment) and 55 per cent foreign (sources of investment). We see this shift as something positive and encouraging because while foreign investments continue to flow in, the domestic players are also ensuring they are not left behind," he said.

Out of the RM99.79 billion of cumulative investments, the manufacturing sector was the largest recipient of capital at RM33.36 billion, while the property sector was a close second with RM32.94 billion.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are interested, here is an interesting report on average construction across various countries, including Malaysia. You can get a good idea of how much money some of the developers are making, particularly those who have recently launched at RM 1000 psf+ range. :-)

http://www.turnerandtownsend.com/TT_ICC_Report_Single_Pages_j98uI.pdf.file

Interesting data!

Base on above, we have a typical terrace 22x70, built up 2000sf, built cost is RM330K, land cost 80K (assume @50 psf). Total cost is RM410K. Currently prices about RM550K is relatively cheap! Better buy fast, freehold some more!

Now look at Singapore: typical 5rm, 90sq m, built cost is 2100 x 90 = SGD189K, land cost -?? (Anyway 99 yrs, high raise you got no land). Selling price SGD500K for HDB , 1.2M for pte . !

Look like the Malaysian gov is subsidizing the Sinkies instead, haha. OR maybe the above calculation is too simplistic

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian property developers margin are very low. A developer as large as UEM Land makes like RM100m+ a year... compared to Singaporean developers' profits which are in the billions.

When i bought my property in JB a few years back that was the exact calculation i did - i estimated UEM's margin was like 20% above their costs.

I believe Malaysia is a much overlooked country in terms of investments. Looking at construction costs alone you could see it is a cheap country to live in despite a reasonably sound economy and infrastructure.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian property developers margin are very low. A developer as large as UEM Land makes like RM100m+ a year... compared to Singaporean developers' profits which are in the billions.

When i bought my property in JB a few years back that was the exact calculation i did - i estimated UEM's margin was like 20% above their costs.

I believe Malaysia is a much overlooked country in terms of investments. Looking at construction costs alone you could see it is a cheap country to live in despite a reasonably sound economy and infrastructure.

Many of the super rich in asia are in propertyb business. I do not know if there is a similar "HDB" in Malaysia but these Malaysian developers are private or public listed and needs to buy land. Where as HDB is given land and should serve the people to house them.
There is some constrain like a need to build low cost housing in some taman as I know.
Overall which is a better system Singaporean and Malaysiam should ask themselves.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many of the super rich in asia are in propertyb business. I do not know if there is a similar "HDB" in Malaysia but these Malaysian developers are private or public listed and needs to buy land. Where as HDB is given land and should serve the people to house them.
There is some constrain like a need to build low cost housing in some taman as I know.
Overall which is a better system Singaporean and Malaysiam should ask themselves.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last edited:

DWKY9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro..I was thinking about doing that too..:smile: ! Btw Im new in this forum, Planning to buy house in JB too now need to save abit deposits first. Im Looking at Horizon Hill Im a taxi driver in SG, was think in future if i buy a house there i must either do private transportation or go in to SG to drive Taxi. I really find this forum very informative for people like me who has the intention to live in JB. Kudos to Bro Wuqi256!

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi wuqi,

I saw in one old the old post you reply "Pepper spray can be purchased easily from Tesco btw"

Is it an offense to buy one and carry back to sg? I could put inside bag or just leave in car. Just wondering when we enter the checkpoint, the custom will check car boot and sometimes our belongings and glove compartment. What happens if they found one?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi wuqi,

I saw in one old the old post you reply "Pepper spray can be purchased easily from Tesco btw"

Is it an offense to buy one and carry back to sg? I could put inside bag or just leave in car. Just wondering when we enter the checkpoint, the custom will check car boot and sometimes our belongings and glove compartment. What happens if they found one?

Woo , u will be in big trouble , if they find u carrying one of those !

Status
Not open for further replies.