• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technically you can't and friends told me a lot of hoops to jump through so most of the locals just set up as and when especially by the road side. Just pack up and go if anyone comes and bother you. If you are really keen though, doesn't hurt to check with the local town council (MBJB) just in case.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-move-from-lucrative-spot+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk

That why I say use a mini van. Normal day can use as private car, evening, sell drinks from the boot. If MBJB come along or if it rains, close up and drive home. No need to worry.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
That why I say use a mini van. Normal day can use as private car, evening, sell drinks from the boot. If MBJB come along or if it rains, close up and drive home. No need to worry.

True, the Alza is a good performer, reasonably priced and does well. Only thing is the back boot area is small. Still one can buy 10 year old Toyota wish to do something similar. Cost is low and because the car is low, is suitable for putting food stuff etc. Best would be to get a ford ranger with a modded back for trays of food and drinks. Still can use as day to day car.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
True, the Alza is a good performer, reasonably priced and does well. Only thing is the back boot area is small. Still one can buy 10 year old Toyota wish to do something similar. Cost is low and because the car is low, is suitable for putting food stuff etc. Best would be to get a ford ranger with a modded back for trays of food and drinks. Still can use as day to day car.

Daihatsu Van

tempo3.jpg

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi, how about selling at those pasar malam ? need a licence ? The crowds are v good there !

I have many frens who was retrenched in 1997 financial crisis and they became pasar malam traders. They never look back since. Pasar malam all got alloted space and they need licence. Unless you squat but those space belong to existing traders.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have many frens who was retrenched in 1997 financial crisis and they became pasar malam traders. They never look back since. Pasar malam all got alloted space and they need licence. Unless you squat but those space belong to existing traders.

I think Johor or Malaysia should have a food truck culture all around. Downside is that the weather sucks. It's warm and humid.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Johor or Malaysia should have a food truck culture all around. Downside is that the weather sucks. It's warm and humid.

Lok Lok & Rojak tak kira?

There are a lot of food trucks around just they're are not in one area.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys/Gals,

I am thinking of buying a property soon and to move to Malaysia in a year's time.
I have pretty done much research and do know on surface the transport / property / immigration scene in Malaysia

I would just like to reach out to those who have been living in Johor for at least 2 years on any "Hidden" costs or taxes in Malaysia that are imposed on Singaporeans.

I know that to own a property, there is the usual Property Tax and Maintenance fee one would have to pay on a Monthly and Yearly basis
However, other than these, are there any Additional hidden Taxes or Fees that the Malaysia Government will slap you with after living there for a year or more?

I don't want to, after living there for more than a year, only to receive a letter to pay $XXX for "taxes" as I am a Singaporean living in Malaysia.
Kindly advice as soon as possible, as i am deciding by this week on whether i should purchase a property in Malaysia for residential sake, thank you.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
HI guys,

I just post a thread with some questions on any "Hidden" Taxes or Costs imposed by the Malaysia Govt on Singaporeans.
How do i see if my my thread is posted correctly?
I can't seem to see my question appearing in this thread.
Thank you.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi there everyone,

I am thinking of moving into Malaysia soon in a year's time.

I would like to seek strong and wise advice from those seniors who have been staying in Malaysia for at least 2 years or so on the costs of living and especially on any "Hidden" Costs and Taxes imposed by the Malaysian Government on Singaporeans staying in Malaysia.
I know there is the usual property taxes, bills, monthly maintenance fees, and transport fares to pay on a monthly and yearly basis. But other than these, are there any obscure hidden fees and taxes that needs to be paid. I don’t intend to own a car.

I am just worried that after 1 year of staying there, i will be slapped with a letter asking me to pay $XXX amount of taxes as i am a Singaporean staying in Malaysia. Any such stuff happening? Can someone please advise as soon as possible as i am thinking of purchasing a small property in Malaysia next week to reside there. Singapore standard of living is killing me. Thank you.

BlueSky

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you guys deal with your Singapore mails( including govt related issued mails) while staying in Johor Baru?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you guys deal with your Singapore mails( including govt related issued mails) while staying in Johor Baru?

Govt related mails come to JB, because I changed my address through OSCAR at police station. All other mail go to SG home just like before.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Govt related mails come to JB, because I changed my address through OSCAR at police station. All other mail go to SG home just like before.

I was just thinking. If my IC is being changed to a Malaysia address, how does the Singapore GOVT gauge how much to give me for my yearly GST rebate? Usually if the address in a Singapore address, they will base on if you are staying in a HDB or Private Property to see if you qualify for $100 rebate or $300 rebate etc. But if your address is a Malaysia address, how would they qualify the criteria. E.g. how much GST rebate did you get last year etc based on your Malaysia's address. I was just pondering over this question. thank you.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was just thinking. If my IC is being changed to a Malaysia address, how does the Singapore GOVT gauge how much to give me for my yearly GST rebate? Usually if the address in a Singapore address, they will base on if you are staying in a HDB or Private Property to see if you qualify for $100 rebate or $300 rebate etc. But if your address is a Malaysia address, how would they qualify the criteria. E.g. how much GST rebate did you get last year etc based on your Malaysia's address. I was just pondering over this question. thank you.

Have to break the bad news to you, if your registered address is not Singapore you will not be eligible for GST rebates.

Sucks right? Not as though we don't spend a single cent or have zero financial commitments in SG at all.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to break the bad news to you, if your registered address is not Singapore you will not be eligible for GST rebates.

Sucks right? Not as though we don't spend a single cent or have zero financial commitments in SG at all.

haha, actually based on my monthly household expenses budget which is managed by me, I hardly spend in Singapore nowadays beside my Bus card and food during office hour, I almost spend most of my leisure time in Johor. So I am fine with them not giving me the GST rebate as I do not deserve it. Haha

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Frodo,

Kudos for the answer, I guess for much greater savings, to forgo the meager $150 - $200 GST so called bluff "Rebate" is worth it if 90% of our spending is in Johor. It's extremely hard and not worthwhile to afford a Re-sale Flat in Singapore, and the years of waiting for a BTO is killing me. Can I ask for Electricity, Water, Gas and Waste Disposal bill - are they all from the Same company? Or it's handled respectively by 2 or 3 different companies? I am assuming that overall, such bills should be cheaper compared to in Singapore.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
while you are waiting for an answer from Frodo, i can tell you that utility bills in JB are much cheaper than what you paid for a hdb flat. Water is almost free to use.
Moreover, you can pay every bill including property tax online. not bad isn't it?
Having a house in Jb made me much less worried when our company went through rounds and rounds of reconstructuring. I am trying best to pay off the jb house loan asap. in case retrenched one day,,will surely pack and live in JB.
i think no postgraduates fancy the idea of working as cleaners after sitting in an air con office working at a laptop 20 or 30 years.

Hi Frodo,

Kudos for the answer, I guess for much greater savings, to forgo the meager $150 - $200 GST so called bluff "Rebate" is worth it if 90% of our spending is in Johor. It's extremely hard and not worthwhile to afford a Re-sale Flat in Singapore, and the years of waiting for a BTO is killing me. Can I ask for Electricity, Water, Gas and Waste Disposal bill - are they all from the Same company? Or it's handled respectively by 2 or 3 different companies? I am assuming that overall, such bills should be cheaper compared to in Singapore.

Last edited:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Frodo,

I stay in JB for coming a year and I think I can share with you as well.

Electricity bill is under Tenaga which is easily payable at POS (Post office), Any shops which allows bill payment and internet banking payment. Water is under SAJ and this is really a pain in the arse bill for me as I cannot use the automated payment system outside POS. So previously have to queue for hour to make payment to RM1-RM8 which is ridiculous in my view. Heng found a shop near to the wet market I always go on weekend so can pay there. Easier

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Frodo,

Water bills are by SAJ, electricity bills by TN. Two separate billings, unlike in SG. These are the two main bills for the house, in my experience.

Amount wise, it seems we spent about the same for electricity in JB as in SG, but in JB we have a 3 storey landed terrace house whereas in SG it is 3 bedroom HDB.:biggrin: And probably because electricity and water cheaper we may also be less disciplined in usage, plus we have a mini garden and front porch to wash so more water used. LOL!

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am sorry but you can pay evert utility billl online e.g. using maybank online banking.

Every month i pay online tnb. saj. every month TM charges me rm30 for hyper tv. i also pay online. Property tax cukai harta can also be paid online via maybank or JOM.

it is really as easy as in sg. absolutely no need to queue.

I stay in JB for coming a year and I think I can share with you as well.

Electricity bill is under Tenaga which is easily payable at POS (Post office), Any shops which allows bill payment and internet banking payment. Water is under SAJ and this is really a pain in the arse bill for me as I cannot use the automated payment system outside POS. So previously have to queue for hour to make payment to RM1-RM8 which is ridiculous in my view. Heng found a shop near to the wet market I always go on weekend so can pay there. Easier

Status
Not open for further replies.