• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
The richer people in Singapore shy from JB because of all these polluted smoke from COE cars which are mostly in the range of S$30000 and below. If you got a S$300k car, the best place to speed and stay is actually JB. A trend that I spotted over the years is that the Ferrari, GTRs, Porsche and Lambo club will exit Singapore at 5am plus. They have the money obviously but they don't want the jams.

Since when do you hear people complaining online about Tuas Toll which is S$3.6 + $3.60 + RM 7.50 + RM 7.50 per day? S$15/day. I only read about the complaint about jams.

So obviously even if the tuas checkpoint toll is tripled, there will be people wanting to drive over because of the lessened jam.

I for one avoid JB not because its expensive. I want a jam-free entry and exit and I am willing part with RM 200 anytime per trip to enjoy fresh air and superb view and privacy which one cant find in Singapore

Also the low to lower middle income groups live mainly in the West and North, the richer people in SG usually live in the East and Central regions much further away from JB so they rarely go there. Not to mention car types, the higher income group drive more expensive cars so they avoid JB too, the Causeway is usually chock a block on weekends with a high number of red plate very cheap old Korean COE cars.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rich people avoid JB due to poor people jamming up the causeway. This is a fact. When you pulled out these group of people, the rich will flock in to enjoy

Its like ERP in Singapore. Per entry into City is $6 + $2 + $2 eg daily, but you still see cars zooming into the city centre for years! Amazing isn't it? And these cars zooming past ERPs are going to work.. they aint going to city centre to buy things at half price or go back to a bungalow house.

Usually these people are busy with their lives and work in Singapore, and they fly to other destinations for holidays. I have observed that most people who go JB are low-middle income groups, as it is mainly the low prices that attract them. Their spending power is tremendous due to favorable exchange rate and sheer number. The rich ones in Nusajaya are a very small minority. There are many expensive properties, malls and shoplots in southern JB coming up, and they cannot depend on a small group of rich buyers to sustain.

With higher inflation (from subsidies cut-back, more taxes and GST), rising tolls and VEPs, the customer base from Singapore will become smaller and their spending power will be lesser. Many new property launches, malls and shoplots mostly likely will fail in the short term. The only beneficiaries are the Singapore government and landlords. By early Q4 2014, you should see better HDB rentals at Jurong and Woodlands, and malls in Singapore will breathe a little better due to mainly the middle class (drivers) pull back from JB. Less Malaysian cars in Singapore also mean higher COEs. High prices in Singapore will be better supported.

Someone's JB investments in Nusajaya could be badly affected.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rich people avoid JB due to poor people jamming up the causeway. This is a fact. When you pulled out these group of people, the rich will flock in to enjoy

Its like ERP in Singapore. Per entry into City is $6 + $2 + $2 eg daily, but you still see cars zooming into the city centre for years! Amazing isn't it? And these cars zooming past ERPs are going to work.. they aint going to city centre to buy things at half price or go back to a bungalow house.

I believe rich people pay ERP to city centre to make money, whereas they may not want to pay tolls and levies to spend money in JB. The motivation is very different.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's what we think.

What they think is tht their domestic economy is great.

All they need to do is look back at wht JB was 8 -10 yrs ago.

Thier economy is doing great all thanks to Singapore, the 8 to 10 years period your are refering to coincides with the opening of the floodgates in SG to foreigners and the Malaysian were the first to take advantage of this, and further growth in recent years is due to significant increase of Singaporeans getting fed up of high prices in SIngapore and now going to shop there, now JB also working hard to steal the MNC investors in SG to invest there........any and all growth in JB should be credited to SG, thanks to the stupid PAP who thinks foregners are growing the SG economy, while the actual truth is whatever growth foreigners had contributed to SG is seriously flowing out of SG.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one can enjoy life in JB and more fresh air, they will spend the money. I am never rich compared to these millionaries but I seriously don't mind spending RM 100 toll or levies just to relax in my high-class condo and enjoying fresh air and space by myself where I cant normally do it in Singapore

I believe rich people pay ERP to city centre to make money, whereas they may not want to pay tolls and levies to spend money in JB. The motivation is very different.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Going to work is very different from having to go to another country to shop, one is necessity, the other is leisure, seriously, besides petrol, which the rich do not want to travel to JB to pump due to the distance, what else is really cheap in JB? We are not talking prostitutes or massage here, but things which decent folk would do or buy, food is cheap on the street but portions are also smaller and some not really suitable for our taste buds.

Groceries to me almost the same price, I have been going to JB for yonks and the only foodtsuff items we ever bought was baby milk powder, other than that, nothing else.

Electronics is more expensive and also many fakes, so avoid buying.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one can enjoy life in JB and more fresh air, they will spend the money. I am never rich compared to these millionaries but I seriously don't mind spending RM 100 toll or levies just to relax in my high-class condo and enjoying fresh air and space by myself where I cant normally do it in Singapore

You seem to have over invested in Johor. I hope you have the holding power ahead.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
This i must agree with you.

For branded stuff i generally prefer to shop in Spore rather than JB. In fact cheaper in Spore.

Electronics cheaper in Spore n chances of fake r low.

Food may not be what our taste buds are used to.

I won't say no good food in JB, BUT i agree that quality vs taste leaves a lot to be desired.

We are not talking prostitutes or massage here, but things which decent folk would do or buy, food is cheap on the street but portions are also smaller and some not really suitable for our taste buds.

Groceries to me almost the same price, I have been going to JB for yonks and the only foodtsuff items we ever bought was baby milk powder, other than that, nothing else.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. I stopped buying ever since the cooling measures and diverted the profits to Makati, Melbourne and Phuket

But end up thought about it all, if I plan to retire I wont want to fly to such a far away place. Malaysia esp Johor is the safest bet as its still closer to home

You seem to have over invested in Johor. I hope you have the holding power ahead.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
The richest in Singapore don't go JB Giant, Tesco to save that RM 100 la.. they want a place by themselves and at the same time, to reach that place they don't want jams.

In Singapore the closest you can find is Sentosa Cove.. but its too pricey at S$3 million for a 99 year Leasehold condo

Going to work is very different from having to go to another country to shop, one is necessity, the other is leisure, seriously, besides petrol, which the rich do not want to travel to JB to pump due to the distance, what else is really cheap in JB? We are not talking prostitutes or massage here, but things which decent folk would do or buy, food is cheap on the street but portions are also smaller and some not really suitable for our taste buds.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
90% of the properties in Johor will see price going down for sure. There is a reason why I don't look at middle-class Tamans in Johor. At least if my houses go down in value in JB, I can use it for my own stay during retirement and pass 1 to each of my kids. I just hope we don't go back to cheap toll entry into JB. Lets make JB a wonderful place to stay and not a rubbish dump for Singapore

Alamak, u ah!

Im sure PuteriWorld has factored that in while investing.

Else he won't be recommending Rm 100 per entry.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. I stopped buying ever since the cooling measures and diverted the profits to Makati, Melbourne and Phuket

But end up thought about it all, if I plan to retire I wont want to fly to such a far away place. Malaysia esp Johor is the safest bet as its still closer to home

Wish you success then :wink:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most rich avoid Johor due to the perceived crime rate.
The rich value their life more then thrills.
If you look at the type of cars going into Iskandar, most are normal bread and butter vehicles. That's the bulk of the demographics.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, I'm pretty certain I'm not poor. I'm not Rich, but i'm not poor either. However, I just like the idea of saving money. Rm17 tolls per trip? no more weekly trips to JB for me. I prefer to spend my weekends here where things are orderly and roads are lined with pretty trees everywhere. I don't think that with the sudden increase in tolls and VEP that the roads in JB will suddenly be filled with lambos and porsches.

Last edited:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course I have factored it and I am quietly praying the tolls @ Singapore will be peg to Malaysia side as well. S$1.20 become S$7 and Malaysia side also S$7 will be S$15 per entry

If I can drive thru the two customs via Woodlands without any jams... straight to the counter to get my passport chopped, I support wholeheartedly and I am sure many travellers and businessmen will love the Malaysia govt big time

Alamak, u ah!

Im sure PuteriWorld has factored that in while investing.

Else he won't be recommending Rm 100 per entry.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
90% of the properties in Johor will see price going down for sure. There is a reason why I don't look at middle-class Tamans in Johor. At least if my houses go down in value in JB, I can use it for my own stay during retirement and pass 1 to each of my kids. I just hope we don't go back to cheap toll entry into JB. Lets make JB a wonderful place to stay and not a rubbish dump for Singapore

I will never invest in that shit hole, condos no matter how high class will be poorly maintained and shabby in a few short years due to corrupted MCs and the fact that Malaysians don't like to pay the maintenance fees leaving the place run down....so what high class condo are you talking about enjoying.

Their landed property also same, if you renovate too nicely, you will be a target for break-in, and the councils are inconsistent in rubbish collection look at the dump in Taman Sentosa and that's how your high class JB property will be in a few decades, so you will be passing down junk to the next generation.

My strategy is to rent in whatever is the latest and best and keep moving as newer and better places come along, I will only buy if the instalments are funded from my investment properties, which in effect means the property is free but looks like that option is now closed as the minimum investment sum is now RM1M.

So although you want to sound high class, you are to me a budget investor. No need for Singaporeans to make JB a rubbish dump, it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.