• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
do u mean generally it is nt safe for a woman to travel alone , anywhere in the country?

yes i like condo cos i feel its safer.. at the same time, i like landed cos of the bigger space.

not everywhere. but DB stretch is deserted and in future may still be lots of pockets of empty stretches. so better be safe than sorry.
bukit indah around the aeon commercial areas seems a lot safer. stick to brightly lit places at night with reasonable number of people (ie shoppers / pedestrians) around , it should be quite safe.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor Sultan begins annual ‘meet-the-people’ tour, this time by driving a bus
Posted on June 22, 2014, Sunday

JOHOR BAHARU: Sultan Ibrahim of Johor yesterday began his annual ‘meet-the-people’ tour, this time travelling over four days to 10 districts by driving a bus.
The ‘Kembara Mahkota Johor’ tour this year carries the theme ‘A Healthy Lifestyle’ and will have the ruler driving a Prevost Marathon Coach over 858 kilometres. The sultan has also made the tour driving a train and riding a high-capacity engine motorcycle.

Read more: http://www.theborneopost.com/2014/0...our-this-time-by-driving-a-bus/#ixzz35ZoqW6tW

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Published: Monday June 23, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Monday June 23, 2014 MYT 7:31:27 AM

Many laud Johor's smoke-free zone move

JOHOR BARU: Many feel that the recent gazetting of seven new non-smoking areas in the state is a step in the right direction and that strict enforcement should be implemented.

Hotel general manager, M. Saseekumar, 34, said Malaysians were notorious for blatantly ignoring the rules and challenging authority.

“It is quite common to see people lighting up in front of a no smoking sign, throwing rubbish directly under a no littering sign and even parking cars beneath a no parking zone sign.

“There should be strict enforcement and those who flout them should be jailed and only then will everyone be afraid to break the no smoking rule,” he said.

Immigration officer Azura Khairi, 30, said the non-smoking areas should be extended to other places which were usually frequented by large groups of people.

“Why stop at the seven areas? Shopping complexes, beaches and even 24-hour eateries should be made smoke-free so that non-smokers can go about their lives without worrying about second-hand smoke,” she said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...rcement-should-be-implemented-say-supporters/

anastweet

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi everyone, is there a difference if we buy bumi lots?
What are the risks involved?

If we intend to rent out or resell in future, is there a limitation like must sell or rent only to Bumi ?

tq :wink:

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
to be safe in JB got to be street smart.

Condos or Landed both can be un safe. Before renting or buying please study the area and location properly.
"u must think like a crook" to know where is safe and where is not.

oh thats really helps. tq:wink:

do u mean generally it is nt safe for a woman to travel alone , anywhere in the country?

yes i like condo cos i feel its safer.. at the same time, i like landed cos of the bigger space.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you must buy condo, I would think it should be safer than staying in an unguarded landed for obvious reasons.

However please make sure you do not buy those lower-end condos as you will realise your neighbours are of dubious characters. Word of advice, never venture out alone to the beach in Malaysia, esp Danga Bay side. There are cases which I read in the papers where foreign tourists such as those from Indonesia who will stay in the hotels there and go for their operations in JB and they ventured out alone to enjoy the cooling seaside at wee hours of the day. Kena gang-raped

oh thats really helps. tq:wink:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
To those who are going to rent out their jb houses to singaporeans , please be more careful to select yr tenants ....
Dont get those tenants who are going to rent out their hdb and rent from u .... usually this type will have problem paying rent on time .... esp festive season is coming , more reason for them to delay paying rent on time.

anastweet

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you must buy condo, I would think it should be safer than staying in an unguarded landed for obvious reasons.

However please make sure you do not buy those lower-end condos as you will realise your neighbours are of dubious characters. Word of advice, never venture out alone to the beach in Malaysia, esp Danga Bay side. There are cases which I read in the papers where foreign tourists such as those from Indonesia who will stay in the hotels there and go for their operations in JB and they ventured out alone to enjoy the cooling seaside at wee hours of the day. Kena gang-raped

Tq for the advices. Appreciate it. I think in Singapore, we are rather used to ( pampered to ) the very safe environment. Nevertheless, as a woman, it is not advisable la to go out to quiter area alone,especially in the night or wee hours.:smile:

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given a choice, I would prefer corporate tenants. Although JB, say far is not so far, but say near also not so near, if anything happen to the tenant (run road or anything) hard to locate them.

Oh btw, need some advice here: my toilet ceilings show water leakage, Management office has sent letter to upstairs owner, but they heck care. Mgmt office mentioned that we can send lawyer letter to them, but as neighbours, 1 think it's not so nice. But when I called them, the owners are Malaysians, about this problem, they said their unit is not leaking! JB is unlike Sg...headache!

To those who are going to rent out their jb houses to singaporeans , please be more careful to select yr tenants ....
Dont get those tenants who are going to rent out their hdb and rent from u .... usually this type will have problem paying rent on time .... esp festive season is coming , more reason for them to delay paying rent on time.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes hard to get corporate tenants.
I think as more and more people rent out their Johor properties we will start to hear more horror stories. Haha.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
take it from me. don't buy if it is for investment sake. only buy if you really crave for the large land area - which in IMO is not worth it, given how easy it is for burglars to break into.

the Malaysian system is not efficient. very different from Singapore. Made me vomit blood many times if you check out my previous posts.

if you really desire the landed lifestyle, renting would be a possible option. if anything wrong happens, you can just pack up and go.

as for my condo, I will likely sell when it TOPs or VPs. Doesn't matter if it turns a profit or not. Just take back whatever money I can.

while JB has many things to offer, cheap food, cheap fruits, cheap everything, I would much prefer to stay in Singapore. Even China ranks higher than Malaysia, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

im new to this forum . my hubby and i have been considering to stay in JB. He is working full time while my work hours are flexible and we have a 2yr old daughter.

As we are new to properties in JB, we hope to get advise from experienced forummers here :smile:

1) Will it be more advisable to buy or rent? Why?
2) Will it be better to buy landed property or condo? Pros and Cons?
3) What are ur views on Tropicana Danga Bay, Astaka and R&F Tanjung Puteri condo? Is the area recommended? Safe?
4) What is MOT and is it a common thing that property purchased is first under developer, then transfer to our ownership?

Tq in advance everyone ;D

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. Actually a lot people go into Malaysia property with a Singapore mindset. They think that it is very similar to buying renting staying or selling as in Singapore.
People tend to be able to take some inconvenience due to the cheaper entry price but that is not the case any longer.
Prices are no longer cheap there.
Buy it only if you love the place. Don't think about making a quick buck

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. Actually a lot people go into Malaysia property with a Singapore mindset. They think that it is very similar to buying renting staying or selling as in Singapore.
People tend to be able to take some inconvenience due to the cheaper entry price but that is not the case any longer.
Prices are no longer cheap there.
Buy it only if you love the place. Don't think about making a quick buck

Very good advice. Buy with your eyes open. Understand the pros and cons. Behave like the locals. That said there is many advantages vs Singapore hence the increase traffic across the border.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB readying for new wave of Singapore buyers
Get Daily Property News in Malaysia, News Powered by PropertyGuru Malaysia

Jun 27, 2014
table_add Comment email_go E-mail to friend share Bookmark & Share
Demand hotting up for new developments surrounding the future rapid transit system (RTS) and CIQ complex.

Malaysian developers are positioning themselves to tap on the anticipated surge in Singaporean buyers for properties located in Johor Bahru city centre; particularly projects near the future rapid transit system (RTS) link and the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex.

Demand is expected to be robust due to the strategic location and news that the Tanjung Puteri MRT-RTS station will be connected to Singapore’s Thomson Line via Woodlands North MRT, according to Khalil Adis, Founder of Khalil Adis Consultancy.

“In addition, the cooling measures in Singapore have made it even more attractive to buy properties just across the causeway as the cash outlay is not so prohibitive and the properties are mostly freehold,” he said.

In fact, residential developments in JB city centre are currently selling for about RM1,000 psf (S$388 psf), while condos in Singapore’s central business district go for around S$2,543 psf.

New rail link to push up prices

Although it isn’t fair to compare the two locations as Singapore is more developed, once the MRT-RTS link becomes operational, real estate prices in Johor Bahru will likely rise. “The city is also attractive to Singaporeans living close to Woodlands as they are more familiar with the area and the surrounding amenities,” noted Adis.

As such, several developers are building new developments in the heart of Johor Bahru that are mostly intended for Singapore investors within the price range of RM900 to RM1,100 psf (S$349 – S$426 psf).

“We can already see developers like China’s R&F developing land parcels along the Tanjung Puteri area which is expected to be a prime site,” Adis said.

Other projects in the vicinity targeting Singaporeans include TriTower Residence by MB Builders and Suasana Iskandar Malaysia, UMLand’s new commercial development situated next to Bukit Senyum. Malaysia’s tallest residential tower, 304-metre The Astaka @ 1 Bukit Senyum (pictured), a project by the Sultan of Johor and developed by Astaka Padu Sdn Bhd, is also reportedly eyeing buyers from Singapore.

Units at TriTower and The Astaka are priced from about RM850 (S$330) psf and RM1,100 (S$426) psf respectively, while those in Suasana range between RM1,200 (S$465) psf and RM1,300 (S$504) psf.

Speaking exclusively to The PropertyGuru, a UMLand spokesperson said that Suasana is not just a serviced apartment, but was designed to be a coveted address along one of the city’s busiest roads, given its built-in luxury retail shops and a renowned 4-star hotel. Located in Jalan Wong Ah Fook, the project will also benefit from the rehabilitation of Sungei Segget once the river is revitalised by end-2015.

But Adis reckons that these projects could see a 50 percent increase in buyers from the city-state if the units are priced attractively within RM850 (S$330) psf to RM950 (S$368) psf.

“I suspect most will be buying for investment. However, I would like to alert Singaporeans that the rental market in Iskandar Malaysia is not as strong as Singapore’s as the population there is currently around 1.4 million, while it is three times the size of Singapore. Thus, I hope they will be wise enough to use this for their long-term occupation,” Adis added.

Not all that glitters is gold

Another downside is that Johor Bahru still lags behind Singapore and even Nusajaya in terms of infrastructure. The city also continues to face problems such as crime, cautioned Adis.

To tackle this issue, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak unveiled the RM1.8 billion Iskandar Malaysia Transformation Programme. Under this initiative, 138 additional police posts will be established across the city by 2025, with 15 already in place including those in Galleria @ Kotaraya and outside JB City Square.

“You can also see more armed police personnel patrolling the shopping malls. Along Jalan Wong Ah Fook, CCTVs have been installed at Plaza Seni with panic buttons along the stretch in case you are a victim of crime and the entire Royal Johor Police force will be activated. There is also a dedicated hotline for Singaporeans which you can call at 07-2212999,” Adis said.

UMLand’s spokesperson is in agreement that Johor’s safety and security has improved significantly due to the federal and state governments’ efforts.

“Safety is no longer a big worry, because it is recorded that more and more Singaporeans have invested in numerous properties in the state, and some have even set up home in Johor amidst the rising cost of living in the island republic and commute to Singapore daily for work,” she said.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given a choice, I would prefer corporate tenants. Although JB, say far is not so far, but say near also not so near, if anything happen to the tenant (run road or anything) hard to locate them.

Oh btw, need some advice here: my toilet ceilings show water leakage, Management office has sent letter to upstairs owner, but they heck care. Mgmt office mentioned that we can send lawyer letter to them, but as neighbours, 1 think it's not so nice. But when I called them, the owners are Malaysians, about this problem, they said their unit is not leaking! JB is unlike Sg...headache!

In Spore condo, the upstairs owner is responsible 100% for water leakage. Same for Msia? Anyway, in case you want to try, they do have small claims tribunal. Should be cheaper to claim than via lawyer letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.