• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its easy to say this. On paper its a fairytale come true. Pay Spore price for HDB and stay in a landed house with free parking. The daily commute, very few can really tahan unless your family members are staying in JB all these while and you have no relatives or friends in Singapore. I tried that for a while but now is staying in Singapore happily looking @ the rise of my investments.

Last time my kids used to wake up 430am and leave home by 530am and reach school almost 7am. Don't dare to wake up later cos we need buffer fo

But now since the school is a 5 minute walk, I realize they can wake up 6am plus and I don't have to stress myself out for the long commute. I saved on petrol and time and the leisurely walk to schools with my kids are priceless. My friends prefer to commute daily as he said the time spent in the jams are "family time" but for me, my kids will be snoring soundly in the car. I don't think that's a reasonable family time do you?

Daily commuting for these JB people are piece of cake. They are used to it since young. My JB gal friends has been doing this for many years. From Pulai to Singapore, and back to Pulai again. It a daily grind. For Singaporean who is used to good life, walking a few hunderd metres to MRT station they are feeling stress.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friends or relatives, would not influence my decision to buy ppty in Msia.

But seriously, agree with you I can't take the daily commute and the horrendous jams.

I do not wanna put my wife and kids through the madness.

Neither do I enjoy it.

I'll just use it as a Holiday Home for the moment.

No offence to those with differing views. And I dun need to be consistent in my views either.

Coz d only thing constant is CHANGE

Its easy to say this. On paper its a fairytale come true. Pay Spore price for HDB and stay in a landed house with free parking. The daily commute, very few can really tahan unless your family members are staying in JB all these while and you have no relatives or friends in Singapore. I tried that for a while but now is staying in Singapore happily looking @ the rise of my investments.

Last time my kids used to wake up 430am and leave home by 530am and reach school almost 7am. Don't dare to wake up later cos we need buffer for jams.

But now since the school is a 5 minute walk, I realize they can wake up 6am plus and I don't have to stress myself out for the long commute. I saved on petrol and time and the leisurely walk to schools with my kids are priceless. My friends prefer to commute daily as he said the time spent in the jams are "family time" but for me, my kids will be snoring soundly in the car. I don't think that's a reasonable family time do you?

I still go JB on weekends to enjoy though, just that daily commute has taken a toll on me.

Yes I enjoyed reading it too.

That is a fresh and nice perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last time my kids used to wake up 430am and leave home by 530am and reach school almost 7am. Don't dare to wake up later cos we need buffer fo

Daily commuting for these JB people are piece of cake. They are used to it since young. My JB gal friends has been doing this for many years. From Pulai to Singapore, and back to Pulai again. It a daily grind. For Singaporean who is used to good life, walking a few hunderd metres to MRT station they are feeling stress.

Thanks for a heartfelt feedback.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't say Singaporeans are used to a good life. There are thousands of examples to illustrate that Singaporeans are not having a good life.

1) Kids under tremendous curiculum stress. Study so hard with no guarantee of any jobs leave alone good jobs. we subject our kids to this stress and I feel sad they dun even hv a proper childhood.

2) Everything is robotic in singapore. gracious singapore? I can't see that happening. There is lesser and lesser humaneness

3) Flats are becoming smaller, more expensive, cost of living is higher without considerable increase in pay packages

4) Medical care is forever becoming expensive.

5) so is our merry go round transport system that involves transfers and more transfers not mention the astronomical fares.

People in poorer countries hv a more satisfying and happier life.

I know cases where ppl travel 4 km each way everyday to earn money.

That does not mean they are great and im spoilt. yes I can't really do it.

they have their reasons that force them to do it and we have our reasons why we dun wanna do it.

maids who travel to arab countries to work know very well that they can be severely abused, yet they accept it. Does that mk us lsser or spoilt mortals coz v refuse such risky propositions?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think human beings are inherently very adaptable. Singaporeans can be trained to get used to the checkpt jams (lasting at most 1-1.5 hrs), but I do agree that it is not healthy for the kids.

If one has school going kids, it may not be so easy to live in JB and work/study in SG for now, while the RTS is not yet ready.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last time my kids used to wake up 430am and leave home by 530am and reach school almost 7am. Don't dare to wake up later cos we need buffer for jams.

I still go JB on weekends to enjoy though, just that daily commute has taken a toll on me.

For me it is a fairy tale come true, or an impossible Singapore dream come true in Boleh land. Pay Singapore price for HDB, rented it out to pay for instalment for freehold landed house in JB. A similar property in Singapore would cost at between S$2.5 million to S$3 million which is simply out of reach for a common average single income earner. Since it is just me making the daily "pilgrimage" between two countries on my two wheeler, the family is happily nested in JB home, occasionally coming out on their own for Singapore activities at their own time own target. Already almost 3 months since moving in and living the dream, so to speak. Enjoying the cheap food, the big live-in space, more places to explore, and wifey having her little garden patch to tend to.:p

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE RTS will help to some extent.

But still, the transfers and all are quite intimidating strenuous.

30 years ago, kids would travel long distances to reach schools (not in spore).

Just imagine 30 years back.... poor Roads, remote schools, poor accessibility, horrible public transport etc.

Yet the kids did it then sometimes alone.

We can just look at Johor..... d infrastructure is only coming up now. Imagine other countries.

Today is a different day and age.

If our kids are studying in Spore, it would be inhuman in my opinion to subject them to the daily crazy commute.

I think human beings are inherently very adaptable. Singaporeans can be trained to get used to the checkpt jams (lasting at most 1-1.5 hrs), but I do agree that it is not healthy for the kids.

If one has school going kids, it may not be so easy to live in JB and work/study in SG for now, while the RTS is not yet ready.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comeon...Urs is not a fairy tale anymore.

It's reality. And it's a lovely reality.

Ur really lucky to hv it perfect and complete. :smile:

Not everyone has it going so well

For me it is a fairy tale come true, or an impossible Singapore dream come true in Boleh land. Pay Singapore price for HDB, rented it out to pay for instalment for freehold landed house in JB. A similar property in Singapore would cost at between S$2.5 million to S$3 million which is simply out of reach for a common average single income earner. Since it is just me making the daily "pilgrimage" between two countries on my two wheeler, the family is happily nested in JB home, occasionally coming out on their own for Singapore activities at their own time own target. Already almost 3 months since moving in and living the dream, so to speak. Enjoying the cheap food, the big live-in space, more places to explore, and wifey having her little garden patch to tend to.:p

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comeon...Urs is not a fairy tale anymore.

It's reality. And it's a lovely reality.

Ur really lucky to hv it perfect and complete. :smile:

Not everyone has it going so well

Aiya I won't say it is perfect and complete but for now we are contented, thankful to God and feeling blessed to be able to even make it at all. Kids are happily adjusted, they initially feared they might not like the new house but now they don't like the old Singapore house. :p

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imp is that you are happy, ur kids r happy n so is ur wife. And u hv that.

Ur kids schooling in JB?

same here, my kids dislike d spore home now

Aiya I won't say it is perfect and complete but for now we are contented, thankful to God and feeling blessed to be able to even make it at all. Kids are happily adjusted, they initially feared they might not like the new house but now they don't like the old Singapore house. :p

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got relatives who take bus from Kulai to work in Singapore 6 days a week. Sometimes its not about Sporeans being spolit. The point is, is there a need?

This relative previous salary was RM 800 ( S$300 ) in Kulai and after working in Spore jewel shop for 3 years, her salary is now S$2500 ( RM 6000 ). A seven time increase!

If I were to walk 3 hours daily to enjoy a 7 times pay increase from my S$10,000 to S$70,000 a month, I would and I would even walk for 4 or 5 hours.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for a heartfelt feedback.

No problem. I am speaking from experience. In fact, if I have no kids, I would surely stayed in JB and rent out whatever properties I have in Singapore. I got a Malaysia associate who is Singaporean and his wife is from Ipoh. Their son is born in Malaysia and they never intend to take up Spore citizenship. That's because they want him to steer clear from NS and the 2nd main reason is that they got about 40 soccer field size of palm oil trees waiting for someone to take over. This lucky boy is 15 this year and cant speak a word of English. His hokkien is as good as my English though and his studies are pathetic with the best grade being a C. Still, because of his family background ( rich backing ), he don't need a good education.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got relatives who take bus from Kulai to work in Singapore 6 days a week. Sometimes its not about Sporeans being spolit. The point is, is there a need?

This relative previous salary was RM 800 ( S$300 ) in Kulai and after working in Spore jewel shop for 3 years, her salary is now S$2500 ( RM 6000 ). A seven time increase!

If I were to walk 3 hours daily to enjoy a 7 times pay increase from my S$10,000 to S$70,000 a month, I would and I would even walk for 4 or 5 hours.

Wah S$10K a month pay.....:o

Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. why stress ourselves needlessly n put v ourselves through unnecessary traffic anxiety.

and like u im prepared to walk or get v into jams for 4x higher.

this is how I think for now

I its not about Sporeans being spolit. The point is, is there a need?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE RTS will help to some extent.

But still, the transfers and all are quite intimidating strenuous.

30 years ago, kids would travel long distances to reach schools (not in spore).

Just imagine 30 years back.... poor Roads, remote schools, poor accessibility, horrible public transport etc.

Yet the kids did it then sometimes alone.

We can just look at Johor..... d infrastructure is only coming up now. Imagine other countries.

Today is a different day and age.

If our kids are studying in Spore, it would be inhuman in my opinion to subject them to the daily crazy commute.

if it is a situation of loss of job or low income, then it is no choice but if it is to maximise income, the children may not mind now but they may resent when they grow up?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it most annoying to read announcement like this. Why every infrastruture also 10 years down the road? Nothing planned for the next 5 years because that will not affect election results?

It is indeed annoying when the hospitals are bursting at the seams with people sleeping at the corridor and they make this kind of ten or twenty year announcements.

Last edited:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Market economics will cone to play. Kulai salary will go up soon if more work in Singapore or your relative will move closer to Singapore to have more quality time once a certain wealth level is reached.

We all have our reasons to move or not. Our kids school within walking distance, good friends within the neighbourhood and other community support which will be harder to get once we are in jb.

Status
Not open for further replies.