• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's normal in malaysia. i used to ride / drive from rawang to my hometown, its a trunk road . pitch black. and have to overtake slow lorry in the dark.

Need to always be in stayin alive mode! But some motorists in Malaysia don't seem to value their own lives or those around them judging by the way they drive or ride.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need to always be in stayin alive mode! But some motorists in Malaysia don't seem to value their own lives or those around them judging by the way they drive or ride.

what i'm saying is that you have to get used to it.. it's normal.

supermario

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally understood why my account got problem. I actually forgot my login name. I posted an intro on pg 206, that was in July. Now I have two account. After reading so many pages, really careful with what I post in case I get mistaken as an agent. Very tempted to buy again but not sure if it is too risky to jump in ahead of the foreigner RM1m restriction.

supermario

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really feel like kicking myself everytime I read posting on prices here by bros. I could had bought a nice landed terrace for RM300k+, or Medini at RM400k+ last year Jan 1Medini etc. I bought my Pandan Residence (PR) 3 bedroom on the day I went to the showroom after being canvassed at the CIQ. Sometimes wondered if I made the right decision in terms of location, type of residential unit, pricing etc. After the on the spot purchase, I start to get interested in properties in IM.

supermario

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also kick myself having seen property roadshows at Pelangi ard 2007-2008 but didn't think of buying. If only I had commit on a terrace then. After buying PR, no bullet to buy again as wife is not SGrean, coz loan difficult to approve for her. If only I have known Wuqi back then. I never thought I could get loan for property in M'sia. So many nice launches but committed already. Now ask relative and friends to share 50% to get D'Pristine or landed also no one got the risk appetite. Sian :*:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes what you said is true, their driving is alot more aggressive, very fast even when driving in the car park...be aware and careful...

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also kick myself having seen property roadshows at Pelangi ard 2007-2008 but didn't think of buying. If only I had commit on a terrace then. After buying PR, no bullet to buy again as wife is not SGrean, coz loan difficult to approve for her. If only I have known Wuqi back then. I never thought I could get loan for property in M'sia. So many nice launches but committed already. Now ask relative and friends to share 50% to get D'Pristine or landed also no one got the risk appetite. Sian :*:

U'll kick yrself again if u share w yr relative n peng yu.:p

Last edited:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar - golden goose kena slayed

THERE is a saying that one should not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Iskandar Malaysia (IM) has been the golden goose for the past two to three years.

IM has brought huge investments into Johor. According to data from the Iskandar Regional Development Authority, some RM128 billion has been committed, of which 44% has been realised.

As investments poured into its infrastructure, people began to realise its potential as a much cheaper and attractive alternative to Singapore across the Straits of Johor. With its well-planned theme parks and educational, residential, commercial and industrial hubs, IM was beginning to look like a good place for Malaysians, Singaporeans and foreigners to live, learn, work and play.

And due to both foreign and local buying, property prices have doubled over the past two years. Land deals of all shapes and sizes have been done and new launches snapped up.

However, the two most recent launches tell a very different tale.

Last weekend (Nov 30/Dec 1), UEM Sunrise Bhd had a soft launch of Almas Suites, a SoHo (small office/home office) development in Puteri Harbour, comprising  546 units. It is the first of four blocks that includes apartments, offices and retail outlets.

We understand that the net average selling price was around RM800 psf, although it was listed as RM895 psf. After one week, sales bookings stand at just 15%.

In contrast, a year ago when UEM Sunrise launched Teega, a condominium project also in Puteri Harbour, it was almost sold out. The first two towers were priced at RM750 psf and Tower 3 at a higher RM825 psf.

Completed sales currently stand at 93%, with the balance booked but pending legal completions. In fact, when Teega was launched, there was a long queue, with more than 70% of the units booked in the first weekend alone.

Another project of note is Medini Signature at Medini North by WCT Holdings Bhd.

Tower 1 was launched in July 2013 at an average price of RM630 psf and is 80% sold. In contrast, Tower 2, launched a month later in August, is only 20% sold. This is partly due to an increase in the average price to RM680 psf and partly to more competition and the new “cooling measures” imposed since October.

What happened and why?

A number of cooling measures were imposed in Budget 2014. The measures, which will be effective from Jan 1, 2014, include raising the Real Property Gains Tax (RPGT) to a flat 30% for the first five years and 5% thereafter for foreign property investors.

Locals are also subject to a higher RPGT of 30% for the first three years, 20% in the fourth year, and 15% in the fifth year. After the fifth year, there is no RPGT for local individual buyers but properties bought by local companies will be taxed  5%. A mortgage-financing scheme, the developer interest bearing scheme (DIBS), was banned.

More crucially, the minimum foreign purchase restriction was raised from RM500,000 to RM1 million.

The above measures would have been more than sufficient to cool down the property market in Johor and elsewhere in Malaysia.

But in Johor, when it rains, it pours. More negative news came in quick succession.

First was the introduction of a stamp duty of 2%, specifically for Johor, on foreign buyers. Next was the changing of the official weekend  to Friday and Saturday without any prior notice or consultation with the public, business community or other stakeholders.

The industry was further dumbfounded by talk that a 4,000-acre land reclamation project would be awarded to the Hong Kong-listed but China-based Country Garden Group.

And on Dec 3, Guangzhou R&F Properties, a Hong Kong public-listed company, announced a mind-blowing RM4.5 billion land acquisition deal with the Sultan of Johor.

This was for 116 acres of land in Johor Baru with an estimated saleable floor area of 3.5 million sq m. We are uncertain about the exact location of this parcel, which is apparently in the JB city centre.  

To put it into perspective, this one development alone proposed by Guangzhou R&F is almost equivalent to the entire Kuala Lumpur city centre residential zoning floor area of 3.8 million sq m by the year 2020.

Is there more land reclamation to come? Will existing vacant land be approved for even higher density developments to raise values? We understand that more reclamation works may be undertaken in Tebrau and even the mangrove areas of Ramsar.

Such a ridiculous supply of land coming on stream for future development — not only from existing ample undeveloped land, but also newly “created” ones — will sap even the most optimistic of spirits.

What will happen to the unsold units?

From Jan 1, 2014, foreigners will no longer be allowed to buy any property below RM1 million, up from RM500,000 previously.

Until now, foreign buyers have formed a significant number of those who take up units priced above RM500,000. As a result, many of the recently launched projects or those planned to be launched have a large proportion of units priced just above the RM500,000 mark.

We understand Country Garden’s project in Danga Bay has sold less than 6,000 units out of a total of 9,400, mostly priced in this region. As a result, the developer is in a rush to sell as many of the remaining units as possible before Jan 1, 2014.

While there is a big rush to sell, where is the demand going to come from? Who will buy such units knowing full well that the future market will be limited to locals only?

Many other developers are in a similar bind as can be seen from the table above.

Obviously, one can argue that with the new restrictions, developers will soon plan new products and developments that are larger and cost above RM1 million to cater for the Singapore and foreign market.

However, one has to question if this is viable. By just building larger and more expensive units, will one be able to bring back the foreign buyer?

For Singaporeans looking for a small weekend, holiday or retirement home in IM or a property investment, a RM500,000 home translates into less than S$200,000, which is still affordable. Double up that amount and it accounts for a chunk of one’s savings, which an investor would prefer not to risk investing in a different country with different — and often changing — rules.  

Another new risk to IM are the marketing strategies of some developers. At least one developer is selling some of its units either as a “buy 1 free 1” complimentary package or in facilitating fund transfers.

When a buyer is given an apartment in IM as a free gift for another he or she buys overseas, the brand value and perceived value of IM is severely damaged. There will also be a flood of supply in the market from these foreign buyers as they unload their perceived “free” units in IM.

This trend, unfortunately, will likely accelerate, given the recent land purchases by foreign developers associated with these types of schemes.

IM is like a child in a candy store. He is suddenly allowed into a room full of sweets and cakes. He grabs and eats everything in sight and is now experiencing indigestion and heartburn.  If he is not stopped, he will soon throw up.

But the mess created goes beyond just this child. Everyone else in the room will end up with the same stench and have to contribute to the cleaning bill.

The various authorities and agencies involved, from the federal level to the state, must act fast to rein in the excesses, especially in the release of land and approval of new projects. They should pop over to Singapore to learn how this can be done.

The IM story is still fundamentally sound and economically justifiable. What is desperately needed is for discipline to be imposed NOW if we do not want it to end up like the story of the golden goose that got slayed.

Sent from my iPhone

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm very interesting analysis.
I kinda agree with your general assessment. Iskandar project needs to be better reined in. It's a cash grab now for the project.

Just seems like they are not really sure how to pace themselves.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
you're enjoying all the Hobbit references, aren't you? hows the jams today. looks bad.
:(

Jams for motor bikes is always at the Singapore side, malu leh. Must always wait and breathe in toxic fumes for 20min or more at Singapore side. Must put on hepa filter already. LOL! Rains in evening make journey home a wet experience while crossing borders, but always nearer home in JB the rain stop. Face palm.

supermario

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bros, warning if you have purchased Kitchmate products but like many customers only collect the goods when their house is ready (like myself and other ppl I found on other forums), their shop in AEON Tebrau is closed. I found out the hard way last Sat. Seems like country wide they closed down. Email and phone numbers cut off. Luckily I only did not collect the free gift but still worth quite abit. I have found a number to contact but still unable to reach the PIC, but other forum ppl have managed to get their goods couriered to them. PM if you are also a Kitchmate customer. I do not want to anyhow post ppl's HP number.

supermario

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar - golden goose kena slayed

THERE is a saying that one should not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Iskandar Malaysia (IM) has been the golden goose for the past two to three years.

IM has brought huge investments into Johor. According to data from the Iskandar Regional Development Authority, some RM128 billion has been committed, of which 44% has been realised.

As investments poured into its infrastructure, people began to realise its potential as a much cheaper and attractive alternative to Singapore across the Straits of Johor. With its well-planned theme parks and educational, residential, commercial and industrial hubs, IM was beginning to look like a good place for Malaysians, Singaporeans and foreigners to live, learn, work and play.

And due to both foreign and local buying, property prices have doubled over the past two years. Land deals of all shapes and sizes have been done and new launches snapped up.

However, the two most recent launches tell a very different tale.

Last weekend (Nov 30/Dec 1), UEM Sunrise Bhd had a soft launch of Almas Suites, a SoHo (small office/home office) development in Puteri Harbour, comprising* 546 units. It is the first of four blocks that includes apartments, offices and retail outlets.

We understand that the net average selling price was around RM800 psf, although it was listed as RM895 psf. After one week, sales bookings stand at just 15%.

In contrast, a year ago when UEM Sunrise launched Teega, a condominium project also in Puteri Harbour, it was almost sold out. The first two towers were priced at RM750 psf and Tower 3 at a higher RM825 psf.

Completed sales currently stand at 93%, with the balance booked but pending legal completions. In fact, when Teega was launched, there was a long queue, with more than 70% of the units booked in the first weekend alone.

Another project of note is Medini Signature at Medini North by WCT Holdings Bhd.

Tower 1 was launched in July 2013 at an average price of RM630 psf and is 80% sold. In contrast, Tower 2, launched a month later in August, is only 20% sold. This is partly due to an increase in the average price to RM680 psf and partly to more competition and the new “cooling measures” imposed since October.

What happened and why?

A number of cooling measures were imposed in Budget 2014. The measures, which will be effective from Jan 1, 2014, include raising the Real Property Gains Tax (RPGT) to a flat 30% for the first five years and 5% thereafter for foreign property investors.

Locals are also subject to a higher RPGT of 30% for the first three years, 20% in the fourth year, and 15% in the fifth year. After the fifth year, there is no RPGT for local individual buyers but properties bought by local companies will be taxed* 5%. A mortgage-financing scheme, the developer interest bearing scheme (DIBS), was banned.

More crucially, the minimum foreign purchase restriction was raised from RM500,000 to RM1 million.

The above measures would have been more than sufficient to cool down the property market in Johor and elsewhere in Malaysia.

But in Johor, when it rains, it pours. More negative news came in quick succession.

First was the introduction of a stamp duty of 2%, specifically for Johor, on foreign buyers. Next was the changing of the official weekend* to Friday and Saturday without any prior notice or consultation with the public, business community or other stakeholders.

The industry was further dumbfounded by talk that a 4,000-acre land reclamation project would be awarded to the Hong Kong-listed but China-based Country Garden Group.

And on Dec 3, Guangzhou R&F Properties, a Hong Kong public-listed company, announced a mind-blowing RM4.5 billion land acquisition deal with the Sultan of Johor.

This was for 116 acres of land in Johor Baru with an estimated saleable floor area of 3.5 million sq m. We are uncertain about the exact location of this parcel, which is apparently in the JB city centre. *

To put it into perspective, this one development alone proposed by Guangzhou R&F is almost equivalent to the entire Kuala Lumpur city centre residential zoning floor area of 3.8 million sq m by the year 2020.

Is there more land reclamation to come? Will existing vacant land be approved for even higher density developments to raise values? We understand that more reclamation works may be undertaken in Tebrau and even the mangrove areas of Ramsar.

Such a ridiculous supply of land coming on stream for future development — not only from existing ample undeveloped land, but also newly “created” ones — will sap even the most optimistic of spirits.

What will happen to the unsold units?

From Jan 1, 2014, foreigners will no longer be allowed to buy any property below RM1 million, up from RM500,000 previously.

Until now, foreign buyers have formed a significant number of those who take up units priced above RM500,000. As a result, many of the recently launched projects or those planned to be launched have a large proportion of units priced just above the RM500,000 mark.

We understand Country Garden’s project in Danga Bay has sold less than 6,000 units out of a total of 9,400, mostly priced in this region. As a result, the developer is in a rush to sell as many of the remaining units as possible before Jan 1, 2014.

While there is a big rush to sell, where is the demand going to come from? Who will buy such units knowing full well that the future market will be limited to locals only?

Many other developers are in a similar bind as can be seen from the table above.

Obviously, one can argue that with the new restrictions, developers will soon plan new products and developments that are larger and cost above RM1 million to cater for the Singapore and foreign market.

However, one has to question if this is viable. By just building larger and more expensive units, will one be able to bring back the foreign buyer?

For Singaporeans looking for a small weekend, holiday or retirement home in IM or a property investment, a RM500,000 home translates into less than S$200,000, which is still affordable. Double up that amount and it accounts for a chunk of one’s savings, which an investor would prefer not to risk investing in a different country with different — and often changing — rules. *

Another new risk to IM are the marketing strategies of some developers. At least one developer is selling some of its units either as a “buy 1 free 1” complimentary package or in facilitating fund transfers.

When a buyer is given an apartment in IM as a free gift for another he or she buys overseas, the brand value and perceived value of IM is severely damaged. There will also be a flood of supply in the market from these foreign buyers as they unload their perceived “free” units in IM.

This trend, unfortunately, will likely accelerate, given the recent land purchases by foreign developers associated with these types of schemes.

IM is like a child in a candy store. He is suddenly allowed into a room full of sweets and cakes. He grabs and eats everything in sight and is now experiencing indigestion and heartburn.* If he is not stopped, he will soon throw up.

But the mess created goes beyond just this child. Everyone else in the room will end up with the same stench and have to contribute to the cleaning bill.

The various authorities and agencies involved, from the federal level to the state, must act fast to rein in the excesses, especially in the release of land and approval of new projects. They should pop over to Singapore to learn how this can be done.

The IM story is still fundamentally sound and economically justifiable. What is desperately needed is for discipline to be imposed NOW if we do not want it to end up like the story of the golden goose that got slayed.

Sent from my iPhone

300+ housing projects in JB. Seriously within 2-4 years all completed how? Can absorb the supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.