• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess depends on where the east begins?

I would think that Austin, Tebrau, Johor Jaya, anywhere on the west of Sg Tebrau would belong to JB City development?

In that case, east would only have the Jusco in Permas... Anyway I'm not local so I could be wrong too. Heh.

Haha, according to my wife who's JB, the locals dont carve out Johor into west and east. Only Singaporeans who are used to carving up Singapore into NSEW do that. I guess if we use the causeway as the dividing line, Huanghou, Perling, Sutera Utama, Danga Bay, Bukit Indah would be the "west", while Austin, Tebrau, Johor jaya, Molek, Permas, Plentong etc can be considered as the "east"..... I stand corrected...... haha

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a side note, I understand from my JB friend yesterday that Ikea has decided to reverse its decision to set up shop besides Jusco Tebrau. Can any bros or sis confirm this? Thanks.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe you ask your Mrs how often she visit her home town in Perak..

I like Ipoh a lot.. but it is so far away even from KL.. unless you buy for rental.. but is the yield attractive in Perak?

If you get a property in Nusajaya, at least you can use it anytime.. less than an hour drive include custom clearance.. however if you want to retire with with relative in Perak, than it is definitely a good choice.. At the moment, Nusajaya is more "wang" than Ipoh right?

Our intention of getting a home in Msia is for retirement purpose. Not for the "wang" factor.

Though I no longer consider tiny red dot as my "home" anymore. But I still prefer to be near the red dot cos i got my siblings here...and sad to say they are quite bias towards our neighbouring North..

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strata title xfer fee:
once the govt approves, developer will xfer title to individual buyer. Sales & purchase solicitor will charge owner for handling the naming changing documents. Is there a formula to calculate the fee?

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
All my cars have the following as a standard feature:

1. Long baseball bat type of steering lock, for emergencies
2. Brake based lock - Locktech
3. Reverse camera, reverse sensors, back reverse mirror, side reverse mirror
4. 12v Air pump, tyre repair kit
5. Spare fuses
6. Battery Jump cables

1. Tow ropes in 2 cars
2. Large emergency battery starter in 1 car
3. Back up battery starter in another car

Accessories wise, I also have K&N air filters(buy from Amazon), Powercharger/Pivot Mega Raisin/Grounding/Shortening of trottle cables done
I also use better plug cables, spark plugs and i buy my own Gates timing belts (100k km) from US. The water pump, bearings etc
i buy locally. I also use the HKS turbo timer on 2 cars, got them at 200 RM each.

One time when i first came out to Johore, my power steering pump went dead, had to use my arms to really control and made it safely to a workshop. Price was really expensive for Korean parts in MY, so what i did was to use my other car to go into Singapore, buy the part (cheaply) and go back to Johore to fix it (cheaply) In the end, saved at least 60% of the cost if i were to do it in SG or to buy part in Johore.

Bro Wuqi, very impressive and well prepared. Till now, I only have spare tire that came with the car, regular servicing and started to collect Business Cards of Tyre / Battery Shops from different areas / Tamans so that I can call for assistance.

So far, I had a single tyre puncture, discovered in own car park lot, changed the tyre and drove to get it patched up in Nusa Bestari shop, behind Maybank.

I will be extra careful when my car battery is One year old. It can die anytime within 6 mths. :(

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh nearby Sutera Mall..is it further up if coming from Bestari? I went there that day and got a copy of their newsletter, it said that Sutera Mall is expanding soon, part of ground floor car park will be converted to retail space and a entertainment wing (cinema) and another wing for multi storey car park will be built. They're also going to set up a public library inside the mall (first in JB).

No wonder my fav car park entrance was closed. Saw the construction site.
Nice to have library and cinema.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh , but if this model is popular in msia , there is also a risk of getting it stolen ....
Did you pay full cash or take up loan ?

No, Naza Kia is not popular in M'sia, as I found out when I tried to sell last year due to the incident. So there is poor re sale value.
But KIA models, since the Forte, has been gathering interest, especially the new Sportage, K5 Optima and soon to be launched Rio and Picanto. Hopefully these new models will improve the resale value in coming years.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
No, Naza Kia is not popular in M'sia, as I found out when I tried to sell last year due to the incident. So there is poor re sale value.
But KIA models, since the Forte, has been gathering interest, especially the new Sportage, K5 Optima and soon to be launched Rio and Picanto. Hopefully these new models will improve the resale value in coming years.

Agree, folks like the Optima, even the new Forte has a following. Now i am a Hyundai guy but used to have a Kia as well. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuqi, very impressive and well prepared. Till now, I only have spare tire that came with the car, regular servicing and started to collect Business Cards of Tyre / Battery Shops from different areas / Tamans so that I can call for assistance.

So far, I had a single tyre puncture, discovered in own car park lot, changed the tyre and drove to get it patched up in Nusa Bestari shop, behind Maybank.

I will be extra careful when my car battery is One year old. It can die anytime within 6 mths. :(

Thanks, i like to be prepared and also can help out friends/family if they are in trouble. I always check my tyres as well batt water,etc. Fixed up a 80 RM electronic piece to auto lock the doors when the brake is depressed. Did it for additional safety reasons. I once patched and refilled my sisters car tyre in
front of my own porch, she drove to Mengs shop who filled a bit more air and declared it a good patch. :smile:

One thing to note, those 12v air units cannot run more than 10 mins at a time. After filling for 10 minutes, close the nozzle back and wait for 5 minutes, then fill up again. I had to dump 2 units of these as i exceeded more than that time when helping out friends. I always find those 5RM led torch lights handy to put into the back of the trunk. Btw, inside Tesco, there is a Mr DIY, they have lots of interesting car accessories there as well as kids stuff. Some are surprisingly cheap. I bought cargo nets there (in 2 sizes) for 18.50 RM. Extension to side mirrors (right side) for only around 15 rm.

Tesco also sells a type of GPS/HP holder for about 19 RM which clips onto your rear view mirror so that your GPS will not drop off easily (unlike the suction cup/ stick on glass type) Beware though, pilferage occurs in shops here so do check your items before you purchase them. One time, while in a rush, i bought a cordless phone, it was triple tied with industrial strength strong plastic ties that are 1 inch across. Thought it should be safe Took it home, opened up, empty save for the charger, base unit and battery. Everything except the phone. Turn out it was a display unit's empty box. Went back and got it exchanged for one with a phone inside. Hilarious but they did it with no questions asked.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always find those 5RM led torch lights handy to put into the back of the trunk.

Beware though, pilferage occurs in shops here so do check your items before you purchase them. One time, while in a rush, i bought a cordless phone, it was triple tied with industrial strength strong plastic ties that are 1 inch across. Thought it should be safe Took it home, opened up, empty save for the charger, base unit and battery. Everything except the phone. Turn out it was a display unit's empty box. Went back and got it exchanged for one with a phone inside. Hilarious but they did it with no questions asked.

Yes, I found the LED torch lights at KSL budget shop (everything Rm 4.99).

The shop must be so used to this to be so ready for exchange :smile:
Under normal shopping circumstances, should really ask to check all the items in front of the staff. At Tesco and Carrefour, they even have test counter at the electrical department, for shoppers to test and check before going to the cashier. We really like this. :smile:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tried the newly opened Yi Pin Guo steamboat at Nusa Bestari (same stretch as Tok Mama) after friend's recommendation. Must say its really really nice. Nice food and ambience for whole family. Will be going again this Sat with Kids!...

Cheers.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
No wonder my fav car park entrance was closed. Saw the construction site.
Nice to have library and cinema.

Nice if they renovate and upgrade the toilets too..that day I went to Causewaypoint shopping centre and found the toilets there renovated so nice now and with auto taps..

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone, instead of getting a normal Touch & Go card, apply for the PlusMiles card instead. You can get 5% rebate if you use more than RM100 monthly at all PLUS highways and the 2nd Link too. The card is actually a T&G card with rebate facilities, cost RM10 to apply for it. For those who have a T&G card, don't transfer your current balance in the old T&G card to the new PlusMiles card because you will need to surrender the T&G card AND still pay the RM10 for the new PlusMiles card; might as well keep the old T&G card as a spare. And yes, the card has a 10 year validity. For more info, go to www.plusmiles.com.my

For Bonuslink, you can collect points at Shell stations; 1 point for every litre pumped. Plenty of merchants allow Bonuslink points collection too. This card is useful for those who will be buying electrical appliances to equip their new house because some electrical shops accept Bonuslink card too. But the points only has a 3-year validity and can be used to exchange for items in the Bonuslink catalogue. More info at www.bonuslink.com.my

Bro wuqi, with so many things in your car, doesn't it feel heavier to drive? And thus increase your fuel consumption?

Also, does anyone know of a good dermatologist or skin clinic? My wife has some issue with an old oil burn mark that has started to become itchy and has scabbing on it. I've checked Columbia Asia and also search the forum, old and new, but couldn't find any recommendations. So, came here to see if anybody can help, specially Icyraine. Thanks.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
maple clinic look for dr. ong fung chin. be prepared to queue for ridiculous # of hours. there was a time I went before 6pm saw her only at a sliver before 12am. even worse then causeway on a very very bad day...
\disclaimer: no affiliations nor business interest though i wish i were her...

Hi everyone, instead of getting a normal Touch & Go card, apply for the PlusMiles card instead. You can get 5% rebate if you use more than RM100 monthly at all PLUS highways and the 2nd Link too. The card is actually a T&G card with rebate facilities, cost RM10 to apply for it. For those who have a T&G card, don't transfer your current balance in the old T&G card to the new PlusMiles card because you will need to surrender the T&G card AND still pay the RM10 for the new PlusMiles card; might as well keep the old T&G card as a spare. And yes, the card has a 10 year validity. For more info, go to www.plusmiles.com.my

For Bonuslink, you can collect points at Shell stations; 1 point for every litre pumped. Plenty of merchants allow Bonuslink points collection too. This card is useful for those who will be buying electrical appliances to equip their new house because some electrical shops accept Bonuslink card too. But the points only has a 3-year validity and can be used to exchange for items in the Bonuslink catalogue. More info at www.bonuslink.com.my

Bro wuqi, with so many things in your car, doesn't it feel heavier to drive? And thus increase your fuel consumption?

Also, does anyone know of a good dermatologist or skin clinic? My wife has some issue with an old oil burn mark that has started to become itchy and has scabbing on it. I've checked Columbia Asia and also search the forum, old and new, but couldn't find any recommendations. So, came here to see if anybody can help, specially Icyraine. Thanks.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks for letting everyone know about the Plusmiles card. There is actually a version of the TNG card that can be topped up online (with Quik2go) or auto reloaded. http://www.touchngo.com.my/?pg=products&subPg=zingcard_faq

Yes, its definitely heavier by at least a few kg but my cars are quite fuel efficient(one runs on diesel)

I tend to have these as insurance as i have trained my wife in these, last thing i want is i am away in other countries and she gets stuck somewhere because of a small issue. Hence i give her all the numbers to call that i can think of and religiously look after the innards and tyres of the cars.
My wife just needs to drive thats all. :smile:

Proactive maintenance and every car always has a full gas tank at all times. I think i would have made my MT sarge proud except that i would not waste my time washing vehicles. Some of the stuff will pay for itself over time as they either lengthen certain component life or give the car an emegency boost should it be required. I normally don't carry the heavy stuff in light vehicles, only the heavier ones has everything including tow ropes as they have the power to do it. Spare tyre checks are important but i have friends who dropped the spare once they have those "Fixaflat" (can of gas based repair kit) or the tyre repair kit (to save on dead weight)

There are quite a few pharmacies that have opened nearby that do have pretty good meds but there is one nearby in Bukit Indah:
Klinik Suzana No.38 Jalan Indah 1, Bukit Indah, Johore

There is also a "Xiang Xin Zhong Yi" run by a couple of Korean doctors who is administering TCM. Not bad as i have some skin issues too. (exposed to too many chemicals during NS hahaha)

She could start by getting rid of clorine in the water by using only filtered water for washing and drinking. Lots of such products in those HomeFix/Self Fix store. Widest selection is the ones in Thomson Plaza or Vivo city. If its her face, etc, get a very light cream and use on the skin and use some type of vasaline cream to prevent loss of moisture. Air con and exposure to long periods in the sun may have to be avoided if its caused by these.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
maple clinic look for dr. ong fung chin. be prepared to queue for ridiculous # of hours. there was a time I went before 6pm saw her only at a sliver before 12am. even worse then causeway on a very very bad day...
\disclaimer: no affiliations nor business interest though i wish i were her...

Good call, thanks for sharing this. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes, I found the LED torch lights at KSL budget shop (everything Rm 4.99).

The shop must be so used to this to be so ready for exchange :smile:
Under normal shopping circumstances, should really ask to check all the items in front of the staff. At Tesco and Carrefour, they even have test counter at the electrical department, for shoppers to test and check before going to the cashier. We really like this. :smile:

Glad you are liking it, just saw from the other threads that in the end you didn't proceed with your purchase in MY? Hope everything was ok. I still have a base in SG but its good to have multiple bases. Planning to go slightly further northwards to have a look at some interesting places, commercial this time. :smile:

Good to have more bases before "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" happens to SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.