• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trithl

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess most buy landed because they want their own space (ie garden etc) and want something different from their apartments in Singapore. For my case, my parent's own a landed property, so I know the amount of money & time needed to maintain one: Leaves fall on your garden (have to sweep daily), weeds grow (have to weed/mow), and it costs a bomb when your roof or gutter starts to leak, or when your toilet pipe leaks and you don't know where, and you have to pay to hack through the walls to find out where it's leaking, and then patching up the walls. Painting the whole house (inside & out) also costs over SGD$10k because they need to erect scaffolding, spray clean the exterior etc.

Then I realized I never utilized my garden, and most of my time spent is in the kitchen & my room, anyway. I don't need the space, that's why I'm not keen on landed.

Why condo?

It's easier to maintain (intention is buying for future retirement), and frankly the main reason is because I've never lived in one. I like the idea of just taking a lift down and viola, swimming pool/gym/tennis court right there!

Other reasons for Sky Loft:
- Close to CW Link Interchange (for potential future rental to those commuting to SG by bus)
- Unblock view from apartment, because the condo is surrounded by freehold landed property. (Imagine viewing all the fireworks set off during New Years!)
- Security (There's the main guard house, card at lift lobby?, and key for your apartment.)
- Surroundings maintained by condo management
- Sheltered parking (assigned lots per unit)
- 3+1 units have dual keys (ie can be converted to 2 units - rent out the 2+1, keep the 1 for weekend getaways?)
- There are not many condos - only 2 at the moment (possibly a third will be launched soon)

We picked up a 3+1 (1516sqft) unit last year when it soft launched. After rebate it's about RM427psf. The 2nd unit we just picked up. It's a 1+1 and the price has gone up quite a bit since (it's also on a higher floor).

Our main aim is future retirement home, renting it out in the meantime. When old liao, won't want to climb up and down the stairs. Cleaning up the apartment is also easier, cause lesser space to clean. And can lim kopi at the balcony, or chill at the swimming pool, exercise at the gym. Hungry or bored, can stroll over to shopping mall or to McDs opposite. Everything within easy reach.

So basically, that's why condo and not landed :smile:

certain a valid mindset coming from a fresh perspective. but if you like condo and the community lifestyle (everything within walking distance), Singapore has many condo that fit into the criteria, furthermore with a safer environment (you know how is it to walk around in Bukit Indah especially you are aged)

Furthermore, Singapore is well connected with MRT and bus. You are not prevented frm having a car too!

One thing is the condo in Singapore is much more expensive. But, if you sell off the landed I think you can still afford to buy it...no?

to add another perspective, meanwhile you would want to rent out your unit because it is near to bus interchange. Looking at the selling price, you will need RM2k per month to at least cover the installment+maintenance fee for the 1+1 unit. How many of them would pay RM2k (SGD$800+) for 1+1 unit and commute everyday via public bus? Not saying it will not happen but certainly something to be fondled on...again just my two cents.

Last edited:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, there is another crowd from KL and Penang that has just traveled to JPO and suddenly realised - Wow, look at this place and so many other developments to come. For this particular crowd (KLite and Penangite), Nusajaya prices still look reasonable or attractive with so much more to come..

There will yet be another crowd (with small kids in tow) when Legoland is opened end of this year. Its wave after wave of new buyers coming in to buy houses here,..pushing up prices further. In a rising tide, all ships (whether old or new) will rise. The nice thing is this wave has only just begun...cant wait for the tsunami..haha.

cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assuming a young person @ 25 to 30 yrs of age . They may have not enough money to buy a pte condo , cannot buy BTO , cannot buy resale HDB. Option 1) save the small amount of money they have until 35yrs and buy resale HDB , have to stay with parents / rent a house . Option 2) Buy a basic house in JB for 500K ringit , while they wait / save for next 5 to 10 yrs to buy their first house in Singapore . Not forgeting that your JB house might fetch a significant amount of money then , enough to pay for a big chunk of your HDB .
Dont you think option 2 make sense ?

hi bro,..as much as i would like to agree with you,..i have to say NO.

if the young chap cannot afford to pay for the first prop (depsite all the govt grant and low BTO price), he should wait till he is able. By buying a JB prop, he is in fact denting his savings which means he will take a longer time to buy SG house. cos things in JB might not work out eventually such as travelling/security etc. For every case of people shifting into JB, there is an equal number of case whereby things din work out and have to shift back. So its always good to have a base in SG.

thats jus my take bro.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

if the young chap cannot afford to pay for the first prop (depsite all the govt grant and low BTO price), he should wait till he is able. By buying a JB prop, he is in fact denting his savings which means he will take a longer time to buy SG house. cos things in JB might not work out eventually such as travelling/security etc. For every case of people shifting into JB, there is an equal number of case whereby things din work out and have to shift back. So its always good to have a base in SG.

thats jus my take bro.

I agree with Yonglip on having a base in Sgp first, after all, really, that is really our base, and should things really do not work out, naturally we go back.

Best of both world (JB and Sgp) is the most ideal.

Especially with the current restriction on pte property ownership if one wants to own a HDB.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
certain a valid mindset coming from a fresh perspective. but if you like condo and the community lifestyle (everything within walking distance), Singapore has many condo that fit into the criteria, furthermore with a safer environment (you know how is it to walk around in Bukit Indah especially you are aged)

Furthermore, Singapore is well connected with MRT and bus. You are not prevented frm having a car too!

One thing is the condo in Singapore is much more expensive. But, if you sell off the landed I think you can still afford to buy it...no?

to add another perspective, meanwhile you would want to rent out your unit because it is near to bus interchange. Looking at the selling price, you will need RM2k per month to at least cover the installment+maintenance fee for the 1+1 unit. How many of them would pay RM2k (SGD$800+) for 1+1 unit and commute everyday via public bus? Not saying it will not happen but certainly something to be fondled on...again just my two cents.

JB offers more space in the shopping malls, on the roads (except the Jam ones), more places to explore and visit.

The public transport in Sgp is really cramped, I feel.

As for paying for RM 2K for a 1+1 condo, it is achievable, whether the tenant travels by public bus or MY car or SGP car.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Diaspora,

The NI community is counting on you for entertainment.:biggrin:

hahahaha , i have delegate this job to my asst kampong chief , Bro Diaspora ....he will come out with the programes to discuss with me ....
Oh , u r in P8 ? didnt know that ...
Are u my neighbour in 8/8 too ?

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro. when u analysed this way, then staying in JB becomes quite unattractive. Same upfront (SGD100K). End up spending more time on the road. savings just a few hundred dollars every month. Furthermore, instalment for the HDB can be from CPF while JB's one got to be ALL cash. But if you include the fact that by doing so, one is able to rent out SG prop for rental income of min RM3K, then it becomes a different ball game altogether.

Thats why i always believe that one should start with a SG prop first and add a JB prop later. Never wise to start with a JB prop.

Cheers.

Yap. Totally agree with you. Singapore property for investment, JB properties for stay.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, there is another crowd from KL and Penang that has just traveled to JPO and suddenly realised - Wow, look at this place and so many other developments to come. For this particular crowd (KLite and Penangite), Nusajaya prices still look reasonable or attractive with so much more to come..

There will yet be another crowd (with small kids in tow) when Legoland is opened end of this year. Its wave after wave of new buyers coming in to buy houses here,..pushing up prices further. In a rising tide, all ships (whether old or new) will rise. The nice thing is this wave has only just begun...cant wait for the tsunami..haha.

cheers.

I am not quite sure about the latter. Still prefer JB to create more job opportunities to increase their local's income. Only when income of their local is rised will JB's properties rise to the next level. Local demands still form the basis of consumption in any place.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is ideal to have a place in Singapore to fall back to. Looking at the way we Singaporean treated foreigners in Singapore, we may be treated the same in foreign land when karma strikes. When that happens, it's time to balik kampong.

thats jus my take bro.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is ideal to have a place in Singapore to fall back to. Looking at the way we Singaporean treated foreigners in Singapore, we may be treated the same in foreign land when karma strikes. When that happens, it's time to balik kampong.

ya we know that but currently those in 30s cant really afford the expensive house in sg liao.
Unlike those in 40s , they started early to buy house in sg . Their time to buy hdb prices is different from the price now. So its kind of different era now.
And if we buy house in SG first , we have restriction to buy in jb too , by the time we are allowed to buy in jb , the price would have increase a lot liao ....
If one can only afford 1 house , which one would u advise ? We just wan to have a place to call "Home" .
If really wan to balik kampung , we still have parents house to stay too.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with Yonglip on having a base in Sgp first, after all, really, that is really our base, and should things really do not work out, naturally we go back.

Best of both world (JB and Sgp) is the most ideal.

Especially with the current restriction on pte property ownership if one wants to own a HDB.

Bro Yonglip , GumGum . You are perfectly right on SG first and JB next . It is a sure win , ideal method that works well during our time . But for the Y generation (unless you have lots of money), you may need to rethink on this model, need to take a bigger risk otherwise you might miss out even more. Time is money too. I admit my model is a little more risky, but equally rewarding if you do it right. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Sgrayner

If it is really this much, I wonder how many bro and sis from Singapore would reconsider or even decide not to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore.

Before we bought a property in HH late last year, we considered lots of properties in KL. This HH property with a golf course view in front of living/dining and master bedroom was one of the main consideration. The gate and guarded property in an exclusive residential development plus short drive to Sgp is other consideration. Shopping and food is just short drive away. Beside, prices is way before Sgp although living standard in JB is considered high. During our viewing over several months, we cannot help but noticed 6 cars out of every 10 are Sgp plates and they used the lane for residents. We spoke to some Singaporean there and found many renting out their properties in Sgp and bought properties in HH. After deducting their mortgage and paying for their livign expenses, they still have surpluses. They commute to work and car pool with neighbours from Sgp.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not quite sure about the latter. Still prefer JB to create more job opportunities to increase their local's income. Only when income of their local is rised will JB's properties rise to the next level. Local demands still form the basis of consumption in any place.

Indeed Cathy, all the fuss about Legoland and everything else opening, to me that's not enough. They not only need to open, they need to do well, and that is still uncertain. Look at Sentosa, year after year they revamped, revamp after revamp fail, took them how many years before Sentosa became what it is today? Not impossible that same thing happens to Nusajaya.

I wonder though where they are going to find trained staff with English good enough to work at Legoland, Trader's etc. The good ones either run to Singapore or KL. Does it mean they need to offer more wages to hire these people and therefore set Johor on the path we hope it will go?

Lol, indeed we should all keep that in mind. What goes around comes around.

Bro Yonglip , GumGum . You are perfectly right on SG first and JB next . It is a sure win , ideal method that works well during our time . But for the Y generation (unless you have lots of money), you may need to rethink on this model, need to take a bigger risk otherwise you might miss out even more. Time is money too. I admit my model is a little more risky, but equally rewarding if you do it right. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

True, whether one does buy Johor property first instead of Singapore depends on the level of confidence one has in the Iskandar project. If it takes off as well as we all hope it does, wouldn't buying in Johor be much better than buying in a developed country like Singapore? Almost like buying property in Singapore in the 80s.

I am doing almost the same, not in the sense that I'm buying Johor property before Singapore property, but in that I am going to dispose of my HDB. That's the bet I'm taking on property prices.

Anyone want to buy? 40k renovation in end-2007, only going to ask 80k cov lol.

Arranged to meet my Johor contractor tomorrow, will see how he quotes and report.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree. especially for the singletons (speaking from experience). In Singapore we're actively discriminated against in terms of government housing (let's not even go to private housing yet). It is not an easily achievable target lest we're blessed with the silver spoon. Coupled with the hyperinflation in resale house prices the target is always shifting. If I were to wait until I can achieve it, then I'll be renting through all those years which itself is another moving target (where one is not staying with parents &/ relatives). I'd rather pare down on these expenditure and start owning my own place for which I can immediately enjoy and then built a secondary plan B simultaneously.

What can the worst thing happen? I hold the title deed protected by law. Half of JB commutes to Singapore and the other half depends on SG $$$. The ties are too strong to burn the bridge down either way and thankfully both leaders across either sides have seen the light in that.

ya we know that but currently those in 30s cant really afford the expensive house in sg liao.
Unlike those in 40s , they started early to buy house in sg . Their time to buy hdb prices is different from the price now. So its kind of different era now.
And if we buy house in SG first , we have restriction to buy in jb too , by the time we are allowed to buy in jb , the price would have increase a lot liao ....
If one can only afford 1 house , which one would u advise ? We just wan to have a place to call "Home" .
If really wan to balik kampung , we still have parents house to stay too.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently realized that price of new flat now is not much different from 12 - 13 years ago. So, price has not risen much actually. However, I do not know the restriction on single buying new HDB flat. I agree that if you buy a HDB flat today, you'll have to sit out for the next five years or even more depending on when the flat is ready. Opportunity cost in this sense can be high.

It is a tough decision for some. Maybe you can be like me. When in doubt and you must make the decision, just tikkum to pick one choice and move on. However, you need to know what you are getting yourself into. That's the key.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently realized that price of new flat now is not much different from 12 - 13 years ago. So, price has not risen much actually. However, I do not know the restriction on single buying new HDB flat. I agree that if you buy a HDB flat today, you'll have to sit out for the next five years or even more depending on when the flat is ready. Opportunity cost in this sense can be high.

It is a tough decision for some. Maybe you can be like me. When in doubt and you must make the decision, just tikkum to pick one choice and move on. However, you need to know what you are getting yourself into. That's the key.

how can be the price not much diff ? my sis bought 12 yrs ago only 90k but now new bto is 250-300k .
I already made my choice , i just wan to voice out when ppl have other opinons on buy sg or jb house first.
They needs to analyze the probs first. ERA is the key word.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently realized that price of new flat now is not much different from 12 - 13 years ago. So, price has not risen much actually. However, I do not know the restriction on single buying new HDB flat.

can see can hear can smell cannot touch not even with a 10 ft pole. :biggrin:
strictly resale only and only after 35.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess it depends on area. New 5-room flat at Seng Kang was around $260k in 1997.

how can be the price not much diff ? my sis bought 12 yrs ago only 90k but now new bto is 250-300k .
I already made my choice , i just wan to voice out when ppl have other opinons on buy sg or jb house first.
They needs to analyze the probs first. ERA is the key word.

Status
Not open for further replies.