• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
5 times the old toll rate is ridiculous. Wonder who is the bright mind behind this.

If this deter spenders to cross over, the businesses can easier lose many many many times the toll profits.

This is called setting the expectations first, then when they announce the price which is only 2-3 times more, everybody is ok.

If every visit cost S$15, I believe Singaporeans will cut down the day trip visit quite significantly.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay bro, got ya ... I haven't finalized the s&p, so still have chance to reverse the position. U r quite right that for the past few days, my full concentration was merely directed at ST, and I didn't bother to do a final comparison against all options again. I have a checklist, ST ticked most of my boxes, but not all my boxes. I agree that a dream home should had my entire list checked. I have until this Saturday to sign the s&p, so I will make sure I do my study. Thanks much!

remind me, is it a condo? if so, consider why, in relation to freehold landed which is why most people buy in JB... resale also better with landed

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to the Somerset Puteri Harbour serviced apartments exhibition yesterday, at the hotel opposite Paragon, and boy was it crowded. I was surprised as I thought there would not be much interest in serviced apartments. The pricing was very expensive too. A 1 bedroom unit of about 1150 sq ft not facing the marina was selling at RM988K!

All the marina facing units launched were sold on Saturday itself. None left! They are offering 5 per cent net yield rental guarantee for the first 2 years and profit sharing thereafter for 8 years. After that, you can take back your unit for own stay. UOB and HSBC also offering loans of 80 and 85 per cent, and the developer pays for all stamp and legal fees except on the loan.

Maybe because it is true that the PH will be the point of the ferry services with Singapore? Did they declare that in the launch brochures?

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember, Horizon Hills Semis got no competition, not even East Ledang which does not have a golf-course concept.

Yes, mine is a corner unit and I am in for long term. Thanks for the reassuring thoughts. One would easily be influenced and have second thoughts when the market is full of passimistic news. Some friends told me that I board the train at the wrong moment as this is the peak of market, but as you said, if I am in for long term than i would be glad that I bought a unit now.

Hi Icy, recall you moved to JB from KL right? These friends are JB people? I am just curious to gauge what the locals are thinking about the prop market in JB . Do they really feel it is peak and therefore staying away?...

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the toll is raised, I am sure they know the change in travel pattern. Is that what they want?

Less daily commute? and drastic fall in day trippers (tourist)? :confused:

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also do not think the toll will be raised 5 times (I hope). It is bad for the business and a politically dangerous move. Having said that, it may not be raised 5 times now, we can expect it to be some times later. When that happens, like bro DOA suggested, carpooling is one way to go. That could reduce the number of cars crossing the custom. Less pollutionand hence environmental friendly. Not a bad side effect from raising the toll.

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope my kampong chief (aka Crystal) is looking into this.:smile:

The RC also organise activities like colouring contests, Father Child look a like contest on Fathers day, makan sessions, durian and fruit makan sessions, yearly fengshui talk, exercise at central parks, monthly laughing yogas.... all are free for residence to join in. Did you join any of them?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope my kampong chief (aka Crystal) is looking into this.:smile:

hahahaha , i have delegate this job to my asst kampong chief , Bro Diaspora ....he will come out with the programes to discuss with me ....
Oh , u r in P8 ? didnt know that ...
Are u my neighbour in 8/8 too ?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
But bros using Tuas link are already paying so much daily.....and their housing at Nusajaya is also more expensive than other areas....still got demand wor

Let's calculate....if buy HDB 4-5RM for $500k, assume loan is S$400k(pay upfront $100k) and 1% interest, monthly installment is $1287 for 30yrs.
If buy rm600K house in JB, upfront pay the same S$100k, so loan is rm360k and assume 4.3% interest, installment is rm1781 or $742.
So, there's a monthly savings of $545 in housing....and one gets to stay in bigger landed home.
The toll fee would incur about S$250-300/mth.

still have costs saving from pigeon hole season parking range from $65-$90 bucks ...

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
But bros using Tuas link are already paying so much daily.....and their housing at Nusajaya is also more expensive than other areas....still got demand wor

Let's calculate....if buy HDB 4-5RM for $500k, assume loan is S$400k(pay upfront $100k) and 1% interest, monthly installment is $1287 for 30yrs.
If buy rm600K house in JB, upfront pay the same S$100k, so loan is rm360k and assume 4.3% interest, installment is rm1781 or $742.
So, there's a monthly savings of $545 in housing....and one gets to stay in bigger landed home.
The toll fee would incur about S$250-300/mth.

Bro. when u analysed this way, then staying in JB becomes quite unattractive. Same upfront (SGD100K). End up spending more time on the road. savings just a few hundred dollars every month. Furthermore, instalment for the HDB can be from CPF while JB's one got to be ALL cash. But if you include the fact that by doing so, one is able to rent out SG prop for rental income of min RM3K, then it becomes a different ball game altogether.

Thats why i always believe that one should start with a SG prop first and add a JB prop later. Never wise to start with a JB prop.

Cheers.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro. when u analysed this way, then staying in JB becomes quite unattractive. Same upfront (SGD100K). End up spending more time on the road. savings just a few hundred dollars every month. Furthermore, instalment for the HDB can be from CPF while JB's one got to be ALL cash. But if you include the fact that by doing so, one is able to rent out SG prop for rental income of min RM3K, then it becomes a different ball game altogether.

Thats why i always believe that one should start with a SG prop first and add a JB prop later. Never wise to start with a JB prop.

Cheers.

But not all can afford to buy sg properties first . look at the resale COV and the time waiting for BTO and restrictions
Now seem like a lot of early 30s are buying first property , now all head to jb liao ....There are a few i know which did that .

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it is really this much, I wonder how many bro and sis from Singapore would reconsider or even decide not to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore.

it will somehow affects me since i am driving alone and absorbed the costs all by myself , quite siong for me.
Car pooling is not gd for me as I prefer own time own target . Also most ppl who bought in nusajaya works ard Tuas but I am working in town ....

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal observations speaking to Johoreans:

2-3 Years ago: Most of them believe IM is going to be another white elephant, all talk no action. Typical of Malaysian Govt! Hence, when I asked them for their (these are mostly Johor business owners or developers) views on investing in Iskandar, most said they would rather put their money in KL or Singapore instead. This is because Johor's real estate has always been lagging behind in the past decade or so. Most of them even quoted how well their investment in KL were doing.... In addition to that, there is no question that the prices UEM were selling at East Ledang were beyond local comprehension. I was even asked who would be buying at that sort of prices and still need to pay monthly maintenance fee. Even the rich locals can't accept that.

1 Year ago: They realised the prices in Nusajaya (in particular) started to move like every where else, unlike what they first thought! In fact, at those prices there are people still buying especially HH and East Ledang. Hey, can do...

Now, I believe there are two segments embedded in the scenarios above. If you asked around in most developments (incl East Ledang and HH), the locals still forms a rather big proportion of the buyers, ranging from 40% - 80%. So, not as though Singaporeans bought everything eventhough some locals still want to believe that's the case. Who are the locals (let me count the sinkies out) buying when the richer fellas were watching..... It turns out to be their sons and daughters who preferred "that type of lifestyle" more so with gated and guarded community. These are the locals been buying the terraces/superlink/clusters including Semi Ds. I am hearing and sensing a migration of the younger generation from JB old town to Nusajaya while the old folks are still staying in the old place.

Now, if you were the old folks, what would you be thinking? Personally, I believe the next wave will see some movements on the higher end properties (eg. Leisure Farm, LH and etc). I expect the same scenario to be playing out with Singaporeans too. The richer Singaporean has just come to grip with Iskandar opportunity because of their business circumstances. They have not taken a position in JB residential market but they have done a lot more with Industrial properties. I've been surveying the industrial lots at SiLC and NCIP. The developers (esp NCIP) will tell you that their development were mostly snapped by Singaporeans!

Now, there is another crowd from KL and Penang that has just traveled to JPO and suddenly realised - Wow, look at this place and so many other developments to come. For this particular crowd (KLite and Penangite), Nusajaya prices still look reasonable or attractive with so much more to come. The developments in IM has just started in fact, 2012 is supposed to be the turning point. Dont get me wrong, I do agree that there is the Euro Zone issue and GDP trending down in most economies and etc. Comparatively, IMHO Iskandar will still do much better than say KL, Penang or Singapore in the coming years??

In summary, IM market boundary is bigger than just JB or what the local think or do. Dont worry, Be Happy.

Hi Icy, recall you moved to JB from KL right? These friends are JB people? I am just curious to gauge what the locals are thinking about the prop market in JB . Do they really feel it is peak and therefore staying away?...

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal
But not all can afford to buy sg properties first . look at the resale COV and the time waiting for BTO and restrictions
Now seem like a lot of early 30s are buying first property , now all head to jb liao ....There are a few i know which did that .

Crystal, are those whom you know have bought their first property in JB happy with their decission.. and satisfied with the travel?

I am in the same boat and considering JB as an option!!

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal observations speaking to Johoreans:2-3 Years ago: Most of them believe IM is going to be another white elephant, all talk no action. Typical of Malaysian Govt! Hence, when I asked them for their (these are mostly Johor business owners or developers) views on investing in Iskandar, most said they would rather put their money in KL or Singapore instead. This is because Johor's real estate has always been lagging behind in the past decade or so. Most of them even quoted how well their investment in KL were doing.... In addition to that, there is no question that the prices UEM were selling at East Ledang were beyond local comprehension. I was even asked who would be buying at that sort of prices and still need to pay monthly maintenance fee. Even the rich locals can't accept that.1 Year ago: They realised the prices in Nusajaya (in particular) started to move like every where else, unlike what they first thought! In fact, at those prices there are people still buying especially HH and East Ledang. Hey, can do...Now, I believe there are two segments embedded in the scenarios above. If you asked around in most developments (incl East Ledang and HH), the locals still forms a rather big proportion of the buyers, ranging from 40% - 80%. So, not as though Singaporeans bought everything eventhough some locals still want to believe that's the case. Who are the locals (let me count the sinkies out) buying when the richer fellas were watching..... It turns out to be their sons and daughters who preferred "that type of lifestyle" more so with gated and guarded community. These are the locals been buying the terraces/superlink/clusters including Semi Ds. I am hearing and sensing a migration of the younger generation from JB old town to Nusajaya while the old folks are still staying in the old place.Now, if you were the old folks, what would you be thinking? Personally, I believe the next wave will see some movements on the higher end properties (eg. Leisure Farm, LH and etc). I expect the same scenario to be playing out with Singaporeans too. The richer Singaporean has just come to grip with Iskandar opportunity because of their business circumstances. They have not taken a position in JB residential market but they have done a lot more with Industrial properties. I've been surveying the industrial lots at SiLC and NCIP. The developers (esp NCIP) will tell you that their development were mostly snapped by Singaporeans!Now, there is another crowd from KL and Penang that has just traveled to JPO and suddenly realised - Wow, look at this place and so many other developments to come. For this particular crowd (KLite and Penangite), Nusajaya prices still look reasonable or attractive with so much more to come. The developments in IM has just started in fact, 2012 is supposed to be the turning point. Dont get me wrong, I do agree that there is the Euro Zone issue and GDP trending down in most economies and etc. Comparatively, IMHO Iskandar will still do much better than say KL, Penang or Singapore in the coming years??In summary, IM market boundary is bigger than just JB or what the local think or do. Dont worry, Be Happy.

Bro, good analysis and write-up. I share your view that though there is a Euro problem, the effects on ISAKANDAR MALAYSIA (IM) in particular NUSAJAYA, will be minimal. The factors minimizing the current Euro situation, are the the current projects that are and have launched i.e. the Educational Institutions in Nusajaya and the Entertainment and Leisure and the to be launched infrastructure projects like the MRT COLLABORATION, Wellness Resort bet. Singapore and Malaysia! Tourist and investors around this region would more likely come over here as their "buying power" is much bigger than if they were to go over to Europe or the US, both of which are currently having difficulties in resolving their problems due in part to their own created socio economic mess and exchange diff!

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crystal, are those whom you know have bought their first property in JB happy with their decission.. and satisfied with the travel?

Assuming a young person @ 25 to 30 yrs of age . They may have not enough money to buy a pte condo , cannot buy BTO , cannot buy resale HDB. Option 1) save the small amount of money they have until 35yrs and buy resale HDB , have to stay with parents / rent a house . Option 2) Buy a basic house in JB for 500K ringit , while they wait / save for next 5 to 10 yrs to buy their first house in Singapore . Not forgeting that your JB house might fetch a significant amount of money then , enough to pay for a big chunk of your HDB .
Dont you think option 2 make sense ?

Last edited:

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only we disagree! Let's see what Jib Gor has to say about this......

JOHOR BARU: MCA is against any move to impose a high toll rate at the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) even if motorists do not use the link to travel to Singapore.

Party president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek said it was unfair to those who did not use the EDL to pay the proposed RM6.20 toll charges (one way).

“The party opposes the high rate and I will bring up the matter with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on Sunday when he comes for the chingay procession and with Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman,” he said after visiting SJKC Ping Ming in Gelang Patah here yesterday.

Currently, motorists heading to Singapore from the city only have to pay RM2.90 for a return trip, which works out to RM1.45 one way.

Under the proposed scheme, motorists will have to fork out RM6.20 for the EDL toll, regardless whether they have used the 8.1km EDL link from the North-South Expressway, and RM1.45 to PLUS Bhd.

This means the toll charges would be RM7.65 one way or RM15.30 for a return journey to Singapore.

Dr Chua, who is also Johor MCA chief, said he would also be meeting Abdul Ghani on Feb 14 to discuss issues concerning the Chinese community, including the SJKC Ping Ming land issue.

“The school has applied for a nearby 1.21ha plot, which belongs to the state government, to extend its facilities to cater to the growing number of pupils,” he said, adding that he was compiling problems faced by the community.

On another matter, Dr Chua advised the community to think carefully before deciding to vote for the Opposition, saying they needed to understand that a PAS-led government did not favour development as evidenced in Kelantan.

“DAP is always giving opportunity to PAS to be the boss,” he said, commenting on an online report that Pakatan Rakyat leaders were trying to woo PAS vice-president Sala*huddin Ayub to contest in Johor to make him a possible Mentri Besar candidate should the Opposition alliance wrest the state.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

i have 1 current girl friend who bought in permas jaya and dun drive a car .
She usually take taxi to check pt and take bus to SG .
So far she find that its ok . maybe she travel off peak hours but she enjoy the quality lifestyle in JB.
We singaporeans are too pamper le , a bit of time spend in tavelling also cannot take it ....
The rest I known are those in the forum lor but our houses will only by ready next yr so cant comment on the travel .
The most use second link which costs more.

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal observations speaking to Johoreans:

Now, there is another crowd from KL and Penang that has just traveled to JPO and suddenly realised - Wow, look at this place and so many other developments to come. For this particular crowd (KLite and Penangite), Nusajaya prices still look reasonable or attractive with so much more to come. The developments in IM has just started in fact, 2012 is supposed to be the turning point. Dont get me wrong, I do agree that there is the Euro Zone issue and GDP trending down in most economies and etc. Comparatively, IMHO Iskandar will still do much better than say KL, Penang or Singapore in the coming years??

Yup, agree with nusajaya. My penang friends came to visit me during cny told me that nowadays semi-d in penang come with only 5 ft side land unlike the normally 10 ft!

Status
Not open for further replies.