• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
macbookair said:
hi everyone

i just joined the bandwagon . bought resale so only 4-5mths laer then will get th keys.

Was thinknng of renting a unit fo 6 monthswhie waiting and renovating

I need some rough figures to make some decision

1. how much to move house furniture n appliances etc from horizon to horizon? e.g gateway to gateway or golf east to gate way ...

2. Is it better to shift house 2 times like spore to Rented Horizon to Own house horizon? or rent a fully furnished unit then shift one time only from Spore to Own unit?

and anyone renting out short term 6 mths, budget ard 3000rm ?

thks inadvance

Congrats on ur purchase. Glad that you found something within ur budget and preference. If possible, just shift once. Less headache and possibly cheaper too. I guess u bought in HH, right?

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
DREAMorACTION said:
Only income per capita will make me smile in this case. GDP doesn't mean we r rich

What you mean is personal income per capita with low gini coefficient.

Purely income would incorporate corporate income, in which case it will be akin to GDP where the gain could be skewed towards corporate profits. Also, if you don't qualify with gini coefficient, then even if the average personal income per capita were high, it might be concentrated with a few rich people so that the average man is still poor.

In a nutshell, if you feel poor despite living in a country with the highest GDP per capita, there are 3 possible reasons:

1. Profits go to corporates instead of salaries
2. Rich people hold disproportionate amount of the wealth
3. Such comparisons are misleading, because Singapore is a city state. To compare apples with apples, one should compare GDP per capita by cities, not countries. Otherwise, Singapore will always rank up high because we don't have many people farming!

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Gotta give in to that. I couldn't had explained better but tat was my line of thoughts except pt 3. Thx for elaborating

What you mean is personal income per capita with low gini coefficient.

Purely income would incorporate corporate income, in which case it will be akin to GDP where the gain could be skewed towards corporate profits. Also, if you don't qualify with gini coefficient, then even if the average personal income per capita were high, it might be concentrated with a few rich people so that the average man is still poor.

In a nutshell, if you feel poor despite living in a country with the highest GDP per capita, there are 3 possible reasons:

1. Profits go to corporates instead of salaries
2. Rich people hold disproportionate amount of the wealth
3. Such comparisons are misleading, because Singapore is a city state. To compare apples with apples, one should compare GDP per capita by cities, not countries. Otherwise, Singapore will always rank up high because we don't have many people farming!

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yahoo news says Singapore is No.1 GDP per capita in the world....

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/s%E2%80%99pore-is-now-richest-in-the-world.html

Seriously?? I don't feel rich at all man.
If this is true, what do you guys think of its effect on SG and JB property?

A couple of things are going on here. First, I really do think people in Singapore don't realize how good Singapore is. Also there are problems with GDP being equated to happiness - this correlation is not very high. Escaping abject poverty (not having food on the table…) is a GDP matter, but once you escape the very worst the correlation drops a great deal. In many cases the richest countries are actually much worse off for how satisfied people are.

As countries get rich people compare themselves to what they don't have that they see others with (and when the country is rich there are tons of rich people with all sorts of stuff to be jealous of). Often when the country is poorer people are happy with what they have (compared to what their parents had…). The distribution of wealth also is a big factor - the more unequal the distribution is the more frustration that exists. I think the happiest rich countries are those with the lowest concentration of wealth (most equal distribution) which is in Northern Europe.

Also remember wealth is not the same as income. Singapore had very little wealth in 1970. In the last 15 years income has been very high. But it often takes decades, if not generations, to build up wealth. Those stores of wealth give people security and make them feel much wealthier than just having a large paycheck.

These are some of the reasons for a disconnect in GDP figures and what people feel there are plenty more reasons.

I also question if Singapore really is on the top. In the top 10 wouldn't surprise me.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
HI!

I am now looking for some contractors to renovate my house. Really search until head big big!

Does any one have any contacts who do the awnings? Pergola type - Wooden or Iron. Or any good suggestion? I had one contractor quoted me one for the master bedroom's balcony and one for the back yard's patio, cost me RM 76,000, using wood and glass. So expensive!

So, any of the brothers and sisters here did before? Can pass me some of your contact?

Thank you very much.

I have not done before but seen their advert in Johor magazine. They have pergola awnings, you may wish to get a quote from them. http://www.supercool.com.my/

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Respect should definitely be shown when deserved. I think Sis Crystal meant well. The very first post started the tone for this thread and has expanded
to be all inclusive.

Singaporeans were repeatedly told in this thread not to complain and just take all the incoming foreign demands at face value.
Who spoke up for them?

Peace to all.

Yeah lor, cannot count on PAP to speak up for us, they only tell Singaporeans to integrate with foreigners, instead of the other way round. Got to speak up ourselves to tell off all these foreigners!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, just learn to ignore posts that are not constructive, especially accusations. Why waste time?

You waste your time posting, and hundreds of forummers waste their time reading.

Thanks to DoA for reposting HH's comments. Personally, I find the comments fair and measured.

Talking about not constructive posts, I remember someone last time posted repeated advertisements about specific housing development. You are right, got to learn to ignore when people post repeated advertisements about specific housing development too!

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
simi sailormoon.... such kiddy stuff.. ha ha.. these were afte r my time..

the cartoon during my time is transformer robot such as "them pek".. anyone here watch those before?

yea buddy, tempeh asuka! that was the old (& probably original japanese) battle cry for the original transformers :smile: We must be from the same generation, although grew up from different sides of the causeway.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro.. Nevermind if we are separated by the causeway... We are now united...and tempeh all the way!

yea buddy, tempeh asuka! that was the old (& probably original japanese) battle cry for the original transformers :smile: We must be from the same generation, although grew up from different sides of the causeway.

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Gotta give in to that. I couldn't had explained better but tat was my line of thoughts except pt 3. Thx for elaborating

Thanks Aragorn and DoA for the explanation. Indeed, it should be a comparison between cities that would give more accurate comparison and income per capita would be a better measurement of wealth.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple of things are going on here. First, I really do think people in Singapore don't realize how good Singapore is. Also there are problems with GDP being equated to happiness - this correlation is not very high. Escaping abject poverty (not having food on the table…) is a GDP matter, but once you escape the very worst the correlation drops a great deal. In many cases the richest countries are actually much worse off for how satisfied people are.

As countries get rich people compare themselves to what they don't have that they see others with (and when the country is rich there are tons of rich people with all sorts of stuff to be jealous of). Often when the country is poorer people are happy with what they have (compared to what their parents had…). The distribution of wealth also is a big factor - the more unequal the distribution is the more frustration that exists. I think the happiest rich countries are those with the lowest concentration of wealth (most equal distribution) which is in Northern Europe.

Also remember wealth is not the same as income. Singapore had very little wealth in 1970. In the last 15 years income has been very high. But it often takes decades, if not generations, to build up wealth. Those stores of wealth give people security and make them feel much wealthier than just having a large paycheck.

These are some of the reasons for a disconnect in GDP figures and what people feel there are plenty more reasons.

I also question if Singapore really is on the top. In the top 10 wouldn't surprise me.

People in Singapore don't realize how good Singapore is? If SG is so good, just join us as citizen. PAP welcomes all foreigners to become citzens!

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think he should if he really cannot get a satisfactory reply from them about this. It could become reversed especially if loan is not approved, etc but if its already bumi lot, they would have to apply for it to be reversed and that is still iffy.

bro homeinjb,

I do agree & stated as much as wuqi that you should meet up with HH Management in JB. But I hope you do not harbour hope of them helping you get back that corner unit if it has succeeded to become bumi lot. The way it works in Malaysia as you would have guessed by now is Bumi always No.1.

For someone to have the means to pull strings to convert that international to corner must be one hell of a big shot with connections all the way up as land matters decided by the State Gov, thus likely very rich and can afford. But he went a step further by another means to get what money could not buy ....this coveted unit.

That said, I know that HH Management would very much try to placate you. Thus you are in a good position to extricate good discounts for an alternative unit. Turn a lemon into lemonade! Good luck

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another NSF died while training at Brunei. I wonder how those FTs feel when such tragic news being reported.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/missing-nsfs-body-found-brunei-river

Really sad that so many young people lost their lives to protect the country but PAP is giving foreigners free ride to jobs and everything. Since SG is not a country (said by some PAP guy), why not just recruit paid soldiers and stop NS since everything is about money in SG?

wufucheng

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm a "tu sheng to zhan" S'porean.
In the 70s ~ 90s, I feel very proud to be a S'porean.
Comes the 21st 世纪, S'pore has change.
Now we are DIVIDED.
We are TOLD to welcome foreigners.
Our mini ster even throw in 10m to help them intergate
The bus and train are crowded
Pigeon holes are so expensive
Try working in a company where U e a minority (S'porean)
Try working in a company where they only speak their own forign language and U LL
When I start to think about the future for our next generation
I dont even know what course my children should take in Uni
Can U advise.............
There are so many fake FT, with fake degree, who are to accept lower pay
My ex colleague (recently in the news), he is a HC boy, a NUS graduate, a manager, a pastor
and recently out of job, nearing jump down from his flat
why, why, why..................
Do U know how many PMETs are jobless now
Do U know how many PMETs are driving TAXI now
so, how can say that

"First, I really do think people in Singapore don't realize how good Singapore is."

If I were to migrate to say, Japan
I will learn their culture and Japanese language first
Look at SIN now, we e TOLD to help them........(maybe to replace us)
True Blue S'porean, U be the judge
BTW e u a S'porean

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not we don't know Singapore govt are good, but they are far from perfect... Under current situation, with their elitist policy system..they actually divide the country.. And most locals are not keen to put up national flag during national day anymore.. In the past, it is almost 100%... Yes GDP is up... But not all benefit..and it create an impression that those who don't benefit because they are louzy.. Foreigners love Singapore because they make good money here under an efficient govt system and safety.. All at the expense of locals.. Even if we are gracefully employed and earning good money in well established MNCs.. One might froze when see the amount of educated PMETS driving taxis and cleaning tables in hawker centers... Yes you might agree the policy is good when you are up in the chain because of your hard work.. But if you spare a thought for those cleaning tables or umemployed with statistics strike off the records.. Common.. You know yes..they create a nice picture to the riches of the world..at the expense of the poor locals.. Might as well ask those who benefit to serve NS so they can protect the country that create so much for them... With the table tennis foreign talent policy, it is confirmed why invest in locals... Just invest on marketing and attract the young and brightest or those who are really hungry.. Making $3k in Singaopore is equal to 7.5k ringit, 15k peso, xxrupees.. 150 Indo money?..sure can make people from the developing countries so motivated to work here... But all these benefit some at the top at the expense of locals..

I actually know what kind of politics are there in Taiwan, malaysia, Thailand etc when they really buy votes... But who cares when all the GDPs growth, all the job creations are mean for foreigners but not locals..

Like what Ginfreely said, take up the Singapore citizenships... They are free for you..if you really think it is so good and part of the establishment that sucks th local poors... Malaysia set rules asking foreigners to buy 500k houses, not able to employ maids, jobs protection for the bumis etc..are not too bad after all..as they are protecting their people..vs here at the expense of the locals to make the look good..

Some may argue if we

Status
Not open for further replies.