• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackbcryan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually was Malaysian. From Klang, Selangor. In British Columbia. 4 hours drive into the interior from Vancouver. So lots of mountains. Another pic. resized.jpg

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am Canadian now. Here's my new surrounding somewhere near the Canadian Rockies. Just bought an old 13 foot boat with 35 horsepower engine. And also has a Honda Oddsey with V6 engine capable of towing it (beige van on the right).

View attachment 5809

That looks like a very nice suburban neighborhood. How much does a house such as the ones in the picture cost?

Last edited:

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Your Friendly Bank in Singapore!

My wife call them "char tow kay hay" in hokkien, due to the bulky speakers and av receivers being large. Always not supportive in the purchase of audio sets.

If buying now, should look out for AirPlay support.

My vote is b & w. but not cheap hor ... Monitor audio also considered high end

For AV receiver, can consider Onkyo or Denon. A lot of Onkyo AVR can support 7.1 channels.

It also depends whether one is looking for home theater or purely audio. Got huge difference to the audiophiles

Wireless speaker is not recommended if we want the most pristine sound out of a set of speakers ...

Jackbcryan

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are in the area called the Interior British Columbia. So very sparsely populated. BC is 4 million people in an area 3 times the size of Malaysia (East and West combined). The bulk of these (approx 3 millions is located in Vancouver and the coast. The rest of the 1 millions is scattered in the Interior. The house opposite mine could be bought for $ 500,000 SGD.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmm bro ... A lot of AVR is also AirPlay capabled Liao

My wife call them "char tow kay hay" in hokkien, due to the bulky speakers and av receivers being large. Always not supportive in the purchase of audio sets.

If buying now, should look out for AirPlay support.

thmejlfm

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi! Bros/Sis

I am now looking for contractor to renovate my new house. Waiting for their quotation, can wait till neck long long. Three weeks still no news from them.

May I know regarding the flooring, Parquet and Laminated flooring, which one is more expensive in Malaysia. As for the roof, using iron I beam or Wooden timber, which one is cheaper? Anybody tried before?

Please advise. Thank you

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are in the area called the Interior British Columbia. So very sparsely populated. BC is 4 million people in an area 3 times the size of Malaysia (East and West combined). The bulk of these (approx 3 millions is located in Vancouver and the coast. The rest of the 1 millions is scattered in the Interior. The house opposite mine could be bought for $ 500,000 SGD.

Wow .... it must be like paradise in the summer. I should make it a point to visit BC one day :-)

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

$500K cannot get you a 5-room flat in Singapore. :*:

Are you retiring there or there's good job opportunities available?

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own two cents. Before 2001 I lived in JB's Taman Sutera and travelled by car to NUS where I worked. Took me an hour one way through the second link. Great living. Rented a 1000 sq foot house with 3 rooms and a garden of equivalent size for RM 800 per month. Didnt have any incident with mugging because my car was an 8 year old honda civic. Very nondescript. You could eat anywhere in whatever estate. Taman sutera had its own security patrol. Not fantastic nor tight. Anyone could drive in and out but at least there was a patrol of sorts. Enjoyed that. We could drive anywhere nearby. Pontian, Kota Tinggi usually. Or hike up Mt Pulai which is about 45 mins drive away and an hour hike from the base to the 2000 ft peak on paved road. Beautiful rain forrest setting. Bukit Timah in comparison was a park. And the view from the peak was amazing. Could see as far as the Straits. The memories.

Brother, that is what I like.. That is why I choose Malaysia.. So far yet so near.. So much to offer.. I want to climb Mt Pulai one day... And drink the fresh natural water..

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Activities are camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking. Generally outdoors type.

My cousin's in Montreal and he told me that the winter is freezing cold and also no where to go during that period. However, it still beats living in the pigeon hole in Sinkie Land. He and his family are waiting for their PR approval.

Went there last year and it seems that those Hong Kong magnates are making very good profits in property investments in Toronto.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time in Ontario saw a property booklet... A castle on 20 ha beside river is selling at 500K US... However that is too big.. Unless I am allowed to have several wifes and build a kingdom of little arsenals there..

Wah siok man... Also $500K over there can buy a castle.. How you maintain the place? Got lobang bo??? I sell my HH and join you..

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Activities are camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking. Generally outdoors type.

This is very nice, shows doubters that there is a world outside of SG borders. Good alternative, please keep the pictures and news coming.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Last time in Ontario saw a property booklet... A castle on 20 ha beside river is selling at 500K US... However that is too big.. Unless I am allowed to have several wifes and build a kingdom there..

I am sure once you have a castle, the rest will come naturally. :smile:
Some of these castles come with hidden costs though like conservation, etc and likely you probably cannot install autogate features for the portcullis nor do much about the moat

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Brother, that is what I like.. That is why I choose Malaysia.. So far yet so near.. So much to offer.. I want to climb Mt Pulai one day... And drink the fresh natural water..

Even Kota Tinggi would be great, there are some nice water falls there as well, water is icy cold. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The house build with wood? Why not concrete?

I noticed that about some houses in US, AU and NZ as well when i was exploring that way. A lot of "weatherboard", etc and not all concrete. I guess maybe due to the fear of geographical movement especially in NZ. Stand better in earthquakes, easier to rebuild etc.

Weatherboard is also cheaper but some will come with cladding and typically requires more maintenance like painting, etc(not so much an issue with cladding). Bricks typically have better insulation, perceived to resist fire better, not as noisy etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.