• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the discussion about Greens pricing pertains more to purchasing from an investment perspective. For you and I, buying for own stay, doesn't really matter if we can't sell it for a profit in the near future, or even if prices tumble.

We are buying to be relaxed and comfortable, that is priceless.

BTW, I got my keys today. Hope your S&P signing goes smoothly.

Terrible terrible jam returning to Singapore by Causeway today around 4.30pm.

Hi Bro,

yeah i am buying for my own stay and not to speculate the market..

My S&P will be tomorrow, going down with my very old mother, because I am buying under her name due to dumb HDB policy.

I am having problem getting all my $$ over.. 53,500 RM still in singapore dollars.

converted based on 2.4 rate will be SGD 22291.67.. imagine gonna bring so much cash with me.
Not very comfortable... :(:(

Last edited:

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I realize there are some issues in Singapore now related to a very strong economy and largely a limited amount of space, I think sometime people forget how good the last several decades have been for Singapore. Yes, I realize that good fortune can bring along new challenges. And it seems maybe Singapore hasn't quite been doing as well on those new challenges as they have growing the economy (but honestly it would be hard to do so - they did close to perfect on growing the economy, even if they do great in other areas they won't be as good as the economic growth has been). And those familiar with the success Singapore has had economically shouldn't think this is just what happens. If Iskandar can do even 50% as well it will be a great success.

So while we look at the benefits and investment potential of Iskandar here is a bit of history on economic growth per capita. I am pulling this data from a post I wrote on my blog:

http://investing.curiouscatblog.net...wth-for-selected-countries-from-1970-to-2010/

In 1970 Singapore GDP per capita was similar (a bit ahead) of Panama - a county that had as its main competitive advantage the same thing Singapore did - a good location for international shipping.

GDP in 2010 USD

Singapore__1970__$4,260___2010_$42,650
Panama____1970__$3,480___2010__$7,700

Singapore grew GDP per capita by 901% in 40 years. I didn't look at every country, but the only 2 that I found that beat that performance: Korea (up 1,430%) and China (up 1,217%). Indonesia increased 543%, Thailand 441% and Malaysia 308%. See more on the blog post. Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia have all actually done very well. But compared to Singapore the difference is pretty obvious just walking around in the streets (and more so if you dig into the macroeconomic data).

Singapore also went from poor (maybe mid level) to rich. In 2010 GDP per capita was $42,600 (above Germany, France, UK and Japan). The USA was at $47,100. There are many good things that happen when such wealth is available (like a good MRT system [even if people complain, everywhere people complain about the subway they have - it seems to me Singapore's can, even should, be better, but it is also better than most others]).

Malaysia has to the potential to do very well economically in next 20 years. And I think the Johor area has the best prospects in Malaysia. From the investment point of view, probably the greater the GDP growth the more money will be made (other factors matter: urban planning, safety, good mass transit and education... but with strong GDP growth investments will likely be very profitable) by investors. But if Iskandar is successful there will also be new problems that need to be dealt with.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro,

yeah i am buying for my own stay and not to speculate the market..

My S&P will be tomorrow, going down with my very old mother, because I am buying under her name due to dumb HDB policy.

I am having problem getting all my $$ over.. 53,500 RM still in singapore dollars.

converted based on 2.4 rate will be SGD 22291.67.. imagine gonna bring so much cash with me.
Not very comfortable... :(:(

bro. does your mom own anything in SG under her name?.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
only a hdb lor..
which she got it 20 years back

SGD 65,000 at that point of time she buy it..

amusing when i buy it now, it cost 390,000.

ok. then its alright to buy something to stay in JB,..else better to buy something in SG first....

your parents can stay with you and rent out their place,..so your 1+1 is all in SG...of course, if finances permit, it will be 1+2 for you!...rent out the 2 HDBs and stay in Jb together....really don need to work liao!.

cheers.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok. then its alright to buy something to stay in JB,..else better to buy something in SG first....

your parents can stay with you and rent out their place,..so your 1+1 is all in SG...of course, if finances permit, it will be 1+2 for you!...rent out the 2 HDBs and stay in Jb together....really don need to work liao!.

cheers.

hi bro, that is what i am doing.. renting out 2 hdb and stay in jb.

but i need continue to work.

1. my father suffering from parkinson's disease
2, my mother fracture her spine but now recovering, able to walk herself with walking frame.
3. my wife is not local/ Pr in sg.
4. my new born is only 4 mths old..

therefore, I still need to continue work..

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal

2, my mother fracture her spine but now recovering, able to walk herself with walking frame.

understandable bro....do hang in there man. hopefully with the move, it will be less of a financial burden.

cheers.

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal

cheers.

i have also thought of the ideal situation.
we buy a semi in jb.
then get either my parents to rent out their hdb (as copi $$$ for retirement), or her parents to rent out theirs,
then my own hdb rent out to finance the semi.
this plan would allow them to retire early, and everyone have a larger house to stay in, among other benefits :biggrin:

we and our children stay at level 3, parents in level 2, and ground for living & common activities.

but the not so ideal situation.. my wife can't tahan my mom (vice versa.. damn...) :confused:
my wife's dad doesn't like to move.. not even from amk to sengkang within sg

oh well.. that's life..

Last edited:

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal

bro, i believe the passive income from hdb will lessen your financial load.
hang in there!

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have also thought of the ideal situation.
we buy a semi in jb.
then get either my parents to rent out their hdb (as copi $$$ for retirement), or her parents to rent out theirs,
then my own hdb rent out to finance the semi.
this plan would allow them to retire early, and everyone have a larger house to stay in, among other benefits :biggrin:

we and our children stay at level 3, parents in level 2, and ground for living & common activities.

but the not so ideal situation.. my wife can't tahan my mom (vice versa.. damn...) :confused:
my wife's dad doesn't like to move.. not even from amk to sengkang within sg

oh well.. that's life..

let me share a few tips on getting them (your wife and your mom) together,..

1. agree not to use words like "your mom say," "your dad say,"...use "mom say", or "OUR dad say" when referring to both sets of parents...

2. Treat her parents better, you wife will reciprocate in due time.

3. Both of you must be aware that filial piety is the basis for good fortunes to follow. If both of you demonstrate to your kids how you respect your parents-in-law, your kids will pick this up and it will help ensure they look after you when you are aged. When i ask my 7 year old son to wash my leg, i make sure i wash my mother's leg too.

4. Notice i never advise you on what u should tell ur mom, there is no need. If both of you follow points 1,2 and 3, you will begin to see changes in your mom.

cheers bro.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for well-wishes all. Looks like I can only really even start to think of reno in the second week of CNY since eveything there is closed for week one. I have a contractor in mind, recommended by my Singapore one whom I trust 100%.

I see how that works out before recommending or not recommending.

Greddy, sorry to hear about in-law troubles. Seems a common feature of Singapore, or maybe Asian living. Maybe you should just move to Oz or Johor first. Putting some distance between all parties for a while might improve relations.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely at the checkpoints. As Bro Yonglip said, this will be "mother of all jams". If you can, avoid this weekend otherwise you can safely claim to have been through the worst! Most of the SPR (who has relatives in Peninsula Malaysia) will be heading back regardless of races because of long weekend and schools are off too. If you are in JB, places will be generally more crowded including eateries.

2 yrs back, was checking the traffic during CNY day1, very clear at causeway ard 2pm..
din go in to pump petrol cos visiting then...

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
@teck: yes.. the trouble brewed when my first kid was born.. didn't know how to handle.. anyway, we don't stay together with our folks now. (though occasionally i miss my mom's cooking)
my current situation only tells me to wait.. the OZ one, the JB one, the global financial crisis.. anyway, let's see lah.. :biggrin:

and btw, congrats to your new home! the feeling must be ecstastic, especially CNY is coming! 喜上加喜, 恭喜!恭喜!

@yonglip: thanks for the tip.. the knot will need a long time to undo.. and yup, its a non-stop effort. kenna kiap in-between is real siong :*:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 yrs back, was checking the traffic during CNY day1, very clear at causeway ard 2pm..
din go in to pump petrol cos visiting then...

how about last year man?..agree there will be pockets of time where traffic is relatively light,...will need constant monitoring tho. for me, during CNY period prefer to stay in SG. So much free TV to watch!...courtesy of STARHUB!!..

cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for well-wishes all. Looks like I can only really even start to think of reno in the second week of CNY since eveything there is closed for week one. I have a contractor in mind, recommended by my Singapore one whom I trust 100%.

I see how that works out before recommending or not recommending.

My VP is expected sometime this April,...awaiting your report man.

cheers.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will jusco be open on the 1st and 2nd day of lunar new year?

Should be open on 1st and 2nd day of CNY , but most of those supporting shop are closed. Was at Sutera Mall last CNY a number of shop was opened , no problem looking for makan. Happy CNY JB folks

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should be open on 1st and 2nd day of CNY , but most of those supporting shop are closed. Was at Sutera Mall last CNY a number of shop was opened , no problem looking for makan. Happy CNY JB folks

Thanks for the reply. It really helps to know a couple of places that open this CNY as we are living in JB and don't wanna stay indoor all the time. There were 3 funerals during the year. Most elders who tend to celebrate CNYs are gone now. So won't have much to celebrate this festive season.

ignatio103

somehow mulands provides the closest comfort in lifestyle without severely
getting into culture shock...bo hao sioa u like nasi lemak u cant get in china nor indonesia...

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about last year man?..agree there will be pockets of time where traffic is relatively light,...will need constant monitoring tho. for me, during CNY period prefer to stay in SG. So much free TV to watch!...courtesy of STARHUB!!..cheers.
Starts from TODAY to the 26th!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.