• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have quite a few Malaysian colleagues, and in my chit-chat with them, none of them will consider investing in Johor property the last i spoke to them in the last few weeks. Almost all of them continue to maintain that investing in KL property is nothing like Johor property -- phrases like cannot rent out, cannot sell are mentioned when it comes to Johor. What is telling is that none of them have been to Nusajaya before....

Cannot blame them as they were the "guinea pigs". About 10 years ago, my friend who was a spr invested in a two storey link house in JB. However, upon completion, he found that it was very difficult to travel every day to work in Singapore. He wanted to rent out his new house but at the same time don't want others to make use of his new house so he waited for about a year. After that period, he really want to rent out but there were too many vacant houses around and he could not rent it out. After another year passed, he changed his mind and try to sell the house but there were too many sellers so he was stuck again and at the same time raking up bank interests and cash flow problem. It was a double whammy thing as he also has to pay his HDB.

Finally, he could not stand it anymore and sell at firesale price at a big loss.

Last edited:

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not forgetting that they still have to service their bank loaned even when the developer "ran road".

Lets be fair to some sporeans and international investors. Before u n i got in to buy jb properties, these pioneers already lost their life savings when the developer went bust.

Not only one but a few developer went bust

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. My relatives there still think that the existing bubble is going to burst soon. :smile:
BTW, the agriculture land appreciated quite alot for the past few years, too bad did not grab one or two during that time as it is quite cheap.

JB market has been under performing ever since the Asian Financial Crisis. Comparatively, JB has not done much in terms of property prices up until 2009/2010. So, I am not surprised that you have been watching the space ever since! In fact, speaking to a few Johoreans, most still lack confident with JB properties (their home ground). Most Johorean would buy for their own stay but invest elsewhere. They would rather invest in Sg, KL or Penang. I also dont blame them for what they have gone through over a decade or so...

IMHO, JB has merely played the catching up game (with owners/investors coming from Sg, KL, Penang etc) thus far. So, if you think the prices are already high, you ain't seen nothing yet! The Johorean are just numbed to all these fanciful development around them in Nusajaya. Well, I dont know about you, if PM Lee sees it and Najib sees it and Johor State supports it - you either see it or missed it!

You can't blame anybody for it.... I do hope you seize it.

Cheers
N

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
More US grads to teach in Malaysia
May 24, 2012 – 7:09 am

PORT DICKSON: The number of American graduates who will teach Malaysian students English will be increased to 75 next year.

US ambassador to Malaysia Datuk Paul W. Jones said the programme, which began with 50 Fulbright English teaching assistants (ETAs) being sent to several states in January, was a success.

“There wasn’t even a single complaint from the ETAs,” he said. “In fact, they are enjoying themselves and want to return and serve as administrators and trainers for the new batch next January.”

The ETAs were sent to Johor, Pahang and Terengganu for a 10-month stint to help in the learning and teaching of English in secondary schools.

Among other things, their role is to help organise extra-curricular activities in English to help the students grasp the language.

The programme followed Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak‘s request to US president Barack Obama to expand “people-to-people exchange programmes” between the countries.

Terengganu introduced the programme in 2006 with 12 ETAs. The state government did this on its own initiative.

Jones said the US government had received hundreds of applications from its graduates to participate in the ETA programme last year.

“They were then chosen through a highly selective process,” he said, adding that the ETAs had gained too. “They have picked up Bahasa Malaysia during their stint.”

Jones, who was here on a visit to the Malaysian Peacekeeping Training Centre (MPTC), said the US government had contributed US$3mil (RM9.4mil) to the centre under the Global Peace Operations Initiative (GPOI) since May 2007.

He said Malaysia, which has a history of providing peacekeepers around the world since the 1960s, was an important US partner and had, among others, helped in its fight against trafficking.

“We need to strengthen the peacekeeping deployment training now provided at the MPTC as there are always going to be conflicts around the world.”

Earlier in the day, Jones had an audience with the Yang Di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan Tuanku Muhriz and later paid a courtesy call on Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

Article source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/5/24/nation/11340990&sec=nation

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why we cant blame the pioneers. Recently i spoke to one of my business associate in spore who owns a hdb, corner landed in jurong, a detached factory in woodlands area and a condo in bukit timah area. All fully paid up.

Properties that I can only dream and talk about.

But admittedly, Singapore's pace of appreciation in the last 6 to 7 years is phenomenal and would be a better choice for real estate investment than anywhere else on the face of the earth!

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Properties that I can only dream and talk about.

But admittedly, Singapore's pace of appreciation in the last 6 to 7 years is phenomenal and would be a better choice for real estate investment than anywhere else on the face of the earth!

Good for investment...not for homestay...:rolleyes:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. My relatives there still think that the existing bubble is going to burst soon. :smile:
BTW, the agriculture land appreciated quite alot for the past few years, too bad did not grab one or two during that time as it is quite cheap.

You think they will be right about this? But correct to say that the properties in Nusajaya has appreciated too quickly in the last 2 years.

Pardon my ignorance but would agri land be accessible to foreigners?

What are we talking about in terms of average price?

Could be a food source for land scarce Singapore in future!

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for investment...not for homestay...:rolleyes:

Very true indeed. It is just too claustrophobic in Singapore these days.

I am also concerned with hygiene.

We have high infections of HFMD amongst children, flu incidences and the threat of outbreak of a super strain of tuberculosis.

Last edited:

nickyu

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi horizonhills,

i believe i know your "business associate", in fact i drove him to hh and east ledang recently to look at msia property. Just to convince him that things may have improve for msia property. I guess there is no investment that is without any risk, one just have to evaluate all factors before making any commit.

That is why we cant blame the pioneers. Recently i spoke to one of my business associate in spore who owns a hdb, corner landed in jurong, a detached factory in woodlands area and a condo in bukit timah area. All fully paid up.

I asked him why he dint invest in malaysia properties. He said he did about 10 years ago. Bought a 300k condo in penang and cant rent out even at rm500 a month! End up want to sell also cannot sell at rm200k cos too many cheaper condos around due to over supply. He had to drive 7 hours to and another 7 hours back every month just to clean up the condo. End up sold at rm100k ... Heavy loss.

Now he said malaysia properties are all bullshit. Dont even have a second look as its the worst property investment thay he had in his 40 years of investments.

Let us remind ourselves that usa properties once cost us dollar 300k just a few years ago. Now u can eat up bungalows at 20k... Sad but true. If it can happen to an economic powerhouse, it can happen anywhere... Esp in malaysia where land supply is abundant.

Whatever, we just have to try our luck and worst come to worst,we can still stay in jb

Malaysiaboleh

Alfrescian
Loyal
You think they will be right about this? But correct to say that the properties in Nusajaya has appreciated too quickly in the last 2 years.

Foreigners are not allow by agri land.

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem we have is, we like living in the past and talk about the present. Example, ah ya terrace house was only RM 300k a few years ago but now ah...RM 500k leh! Very expensive oh...

An astute investor will live in the present and talk about the future...RM 500k today but 5 years later might well be a RM 1 million. I define pessimism as gravity in the investment world. Most people are grounded because of their pessimistic outlook. Totally subscribe to the saying "change your outlook to change your life"

I know for a fact, all of us on this threat live in the present and talk about the future! Otherwise, we won't make it that far....

Cheers
N

A smart investor understands past is not always an indicator of future.

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
WAH !!!! There's a Part 2 to this thread..

School Holiday Season........meaning JAM's on Saturday.

Wonder tonight got Jam Bo?

Staying in JB for 1.5 years ....so far so good.

Cheers

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I don't think so but it is hard to convince them on that.

Other than myself, my other relatives including my wife are Malaysian.

I will not comment on average price as it varies from locations. But, for my cases, the price of that land has at least triple for the past 5 years.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry have to repost my comments.

I will not comment on average price as it varies from locations. But, for my cases, the price of that land has at least triple for the past 5 years.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry have to repost my comments.

Well, full credit to you for suspending doubt and taking the big leap of faith. You are enjoying the fruits of your risk management from the looks of it. But Malaysia's property appreciation is breathtaking.

Let's hope when the music stops, it is an orderly rush for the exits!

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi horizonhills,

i believe i know your "business associate", in fact i drove him to hh and east ledang recently to look at msia property. Just to convince him that things may have improve for msia property. I guess there is no investment that is without any risk, one just have to evaluate all factors before making any commit.

Hello brother Nickyu, are you in the real estate business?

Any comments on the road ahead for the properties in Bt Indah?

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Extensive coverage on Iskandar development in The Star malaysia newspaper today. I have only attached one of the shorter feature. The cover feature includes

- Iskandar lure for Singapore
- Tipping Point
- What are Iskandar's attraction?
- What the developers say about Iskandar projects

I am sure those who are thinking of investing will be interested to find out more......If you want to read more : http://biz.thestar.com.my/

Growing interest from the republic

ISKANDAR Regional Development Authority (Irda) CEO Ismail Ibrahim says Iskandar Malaysia is “blessed with the recent interest from Singapore” and that efforts to attract investments from the city will be intensified.

This will especially be in high value industries such as high-tech and aerospace industries looking for expansion opportunities. One of the efforts currently pursued is setting up of a Singapore Industrial/SME Park in Iskandar Malaysia, he said in an email interview. Iskandar’s focus will continue to be on manufacturing while special focus will be given to creative, tourism, oil and gas and education sectors.

Ismail added that Irda is also working closely with relevant associations and government agencies of Singapore such as its Educational Development Board, Spring, an agency under the Ministry of Trade and Industry responsible for helping Singapore enterprises grow and Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International, to name a few.

Interest in Iskandar has increased considerably after top level government initiatives to jointly improve transport links and go into property joint ventures earlier this year.

He says the relationship with Singapore can be strengthened further in growth sectors such as food processing, engineering and technology with the economic corridor providing infrastructure which will be cost advantageous for Singapore’s manufacturing industry.

He says there is a need to develop a vibrant Iskandar-Singapore economic cluster.

He says with “the looming economic uncertainty”, the most challenging part of developing Iskandar Malaysia has been getting various stakeholders to buy-in into the project during this second phase of development of the economic corridor which runs from 2011 to 2015. The first phase is from 2006 to 2010. Iskandar Malaysia, located in southern Johor is three times the size of Singapore.

“I believe many can now see for themselves that Iskandar Malaysia is truly taking shape and bringing in benefits (to those who have earlier invested).

“Additionally, with the full backing of the federal and state government, we are able to offer attractive incentive packages to potential investors. We are consistent in our marketing approach by looking at quality long-term investments in focus sectors and countries. Our strategies may vary depending on the dynamics of the current and future of the world economy,” says Ismail.

“We have to broaden foreign and domestic investor base,” he said.

He said although investments to date have surpassed early targets, attracting further investments from a wider range of foreign and domestic investors, particularly in priority sectors is necessary in order to sustain the momentum of growth and progress generated in the first phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.