• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
At current birth rates, true-blue S'poreans who are born and raised in SG and still remaining in the country, will be a rare species by 2030 (prefer not to use "extinct").

Looks like the chosen kampung to retreat to is Nusajaya :smile:

Can I give my 2cts worth?
I think the situation in Sinkapore about flooding our population with FTs of all quality is because of birth rates and capitalism is to blame.

PAPA squeeze so much $$ out of Sinkaporeans but instead of giving it back to the community it lost most in unworthy new startups overseas hence they continuing squeezing us. However when the flood gates open the found out they have a new source of capitalism and hence the policy remains.

Capitalism is great for a country as small as us with no natural resource hence human resource is the best we have as we are educated and highly conform. However as with higher education comes high knowledge and our worthiness are sand in the eye for companies and MNC and SME so they are not willing to pay in accordance to how much we are worthy but rather rely on imports to run the mill.

Lastly capitalism has us married couples and singles alike scramble to wanna make more because opportunities are plentiful on your own game turf if you know where to find. Who has time to make love? Everyone wanna have sex but nobody wants to invest time in foreplay and exchange of words. I for one am guilty of that as after makeout I rush back to work to study and make $$ of FX and IM (btw anyone benefited from the bearish sentiments of the EURO debt crisis)

Actually the spending power of malaysian is quite low and the inflation rates here are exorbitant but SG currency is strong hence we felt less impactful. I was thinking of flying to taiwan to stay instead as they $$ is damn cheap.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the situation in Sinkapore about flooding our population with FTs of all quality is because of birth rates and capitalism is to blame.

PAPA squeeze so much $$ out of Sinkaporeans but instead of giving it back to the community it lost most in unworthy new startups overseas hence they continuing squeezing us. However when the flood gates open the found out they have a new source of capitalism and hence the policy remains.

Capitalism is great for a country as small as us with no natural resource hence human resource is the best we have as we are educated and highly conform. However as with higher education comes high knowledge and our worthiness are sand in the eye for companies and MNC and SME so they are not willing to pay in accordance to how much we are worthy but rather rely on imports to run the mill.

Lastly capitalism has us married couples and singles alike scramble to wanna make more because opportunities are plentiful on your own game turf if you know where to find. Who has time to make love? Everyone wanna have sex but nobody wants to invest time in foreplay and exchange of words. I for one am guilty of that as after makeout I rush back to work to study and make $$ of FX and IM (btw anyone benefited from the bearish sentiments of the EURO debt crisis)

Actually the spending power of malaysian is quite low and the inflation rates here are exorbitant but SG currency is strong hence we felt less impactful. I was thinking of flying to taiwan to stay instead as they $$ is damn cheap.

Bro, Taiwan nice place BUT Typhoons and earthquakes........

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
^^There is no perfect place that I am aware of. One just has to balance between the pros and cons to make the decision.

This is one characteristic of Singaporeans which I have observed. Again, my view. We can always agree to disagree, am not looking for trouble. They want the best of everything and will moan/groan if they cannot get it or if expectations are not met (the Kiasu Syndrome).

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, I think the drop in birth rate is due to eugenics and socio-engineering that the regime did in the 80s/90s. So the aftereffects of that policy is now being felt today as it is a lagging factor. Hence the easiest solution? Import en masse which gives rise to other problems.

I don't think TH actually invests in many start-ups but they do tend to invest in companies that looked good on paper but down the road have financial discrepancies.

I think EDB has done a great job in getting FDI into SG but what we lack is a strong core of entreprenuers to build up our own business industries. Many SMEs struggle to stay afloat and grow in the past few years but I think not enough concentrated effort has been done to groom these companies in the hopes they will one day be a Captain of Industry.

Ahh well, these are not easy problems to solve but it would be better if the people on top are more willing to listen and seriously step down from their ivory towers and see for themselves the actual situation. But so long as the majority are swayed by carrots and fear, things will remain as it is since the number don't lie (well they do if you know how it is manipulated :biggrin:)

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since we are on the topic of TH, I thought this extract from Christopher Balding's blog makes good reading. Is our dollar always going to be so strong? Think again. But hope that he is wrong!

The Mess that is Singapore: Part I Explaining the Debt
Posted on May 9, 2012
Ever since my paper on Temasek and Singapore was covered in Mostly Economics*writing a plea for “clarifications from Temasek and SG govt”, I have begun receiving emails and postings to either explain or defend something further. *Today, I will focus on the questions pertaining to the debt side.

The basic question numerous posters and email have raised is whether public Singaporean debt is actually attributable to state owned enterprises or the social security fund known as the Central Provident Fund? *There is a short answer and a long answer. *The short answer is that it doesn’t matter. *Think of a company like GE. *If GE Capital goes out and borrows money, there is still an increase in the total debt of GE the parent company. *So whether it is the Central Provident Fund or the state owned enterprises, at the end of the day there is still a rapid increase in the total debt of Singapore.

The longer more detailed answer is even more unpalatable. *While there is most definitely a significant portion of Singaporean public debt issued by the Central Provident Fund but guaranteed by Singapore, the important part is not*who holds the debt, but rather what happened to the money that was borrowed. **If the Singapore state issues debt, whether it is to a foreigner, a private citizen, or the Central Provident Fund, Singapore now has more funds that they must either spend or invest. *That inflow from issuing debt does not just disappear.

Since 1990, the Singaporean government has realized cash flow from increasing borrowing of $250 Billion SGD. *To add on to this, the Singaporean government has enjoyed public surpluses of $262 Billion SGD. *Think about that for one minute: free cash flow into government coffers between additional borrowing and surpluses averaging more than 16% of GDP between 1991 and 2010. *Since 1991 alone, without factoring in revenue from interest, accumulated cash flow from additional borrowing and*government surpluses has totaled $512 Billion SGD.

To give you two numbers to help you wrap your head around that number, that is equal to 155% of 2011 Singaporean GDP or roughly equal to the combined assets of Temasek the the Government Investment Corporation of Singapore (The GIC does not publish assets under management but most estimates have it in the $250-300 billion USD range). *The $500 billion dollar question then is: where did all this money go? *In other words, how does the total increase in debt and*the total government surpluses equal the estimated amount of assets under management? *(It is also important to remember that this data only*goes back to 1990, not the 1974 since Temasek inception).

Now let’s turn to where the money has gone. *Here is a graph of the hypothetical growth of assets under management by government linked entities such as Temasek or the CPF.

Hypothetical Asset Growth of Singapore, Inc.

If these free cash flows averaged annual growth of only*1%, assets would still amount to more than Temasek and the GIC combined. *If annual growth was the GIC average of 7%, Singapore would still be sitting on more than $1 trillion SGD rather than the current estimate of around $500 billion. *A 10% rate of return would leave Singapore with $1.4 trillion*SGD. *If public surpluses and borrowing were invested and returned even a balanced portfolio average, the current assets managed by public bodies in Singapore would truly be staggering.

As was noted in the original paper, this implies one of two things: *1) the returns are fictitious and there has been a lot of money lost OR*2) there are enormous unreported holdings controlled by Singaporean public entities. *You simply cannot explain $500 billion SGD in surpluses and increased indebtedness without asking where that money has gone. *As of right now, there is no record of public Singaporean assets to match what we would expect to find. *Show me additional assets that should be there. *Temasek and GIC don’t have them. *Where is the missing money? *If it wasn’t spent, and there is no public record of that, then it should be a financial asset under public Singaporean control

As a last point, if these surpluses and additional borrowing even matched the rate the CPF pays out to Singaporean citizens of 4% would equal approximately $750 billion SGD. *This is 50% more than the estimated holdings of Temasek and the GIC. *Unless someone can find hundreds of billions of unreported Singaporean public assets, we should assume this money has gone to money heaven.

Next time, I will describe exactly how the Central Provident Fund plays in to all this and why Singaporean should be worried…..very very *worried.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
^^Thanks for sharing. Not really a financial person but will read through this in detail later.

However, I think this is what OTC tried to understand/investigate during his term and was when he was made a pariah. With the lack of transparency and accountability, it is hard to take at face value that our reserves are well managed and no details cannot be shared to even its citizens due to the broad stroke of national security.

DreamChaser

This is really a very informative forum and i have been enjoying reading all the threads, good job guys!!
Given the uncertainty in European worlds and tightening credit policy implemented by Central Bank, will you continue buying property or adopting 'wait-and-see' approach?

Last edited by a moderator:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am now worried on our purchases.. Are we too naive and trust the developers and pay whatever they asked for? Are the prices that we paid real? 1.6m but actually only 1.4m? 1m but actually only 800k.. I guess the locals who laugh at us buying at such high price, might have some truth in it....

When ceiling raise to 1m, I won't be surprised developers need to give more kick backs in order to close sales..

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am now worried on our purchases.. Are we too naive and trust the developers and pay whatever they asked for? Are the prices that we paid real? 1.6m but actually only 1.4m? 1m but actually only 800k.. I guess the locals who laugh at us buying at such high price, might have some truth in it....

When ceiling raise to 1m, I won't be surprised developers need to give more kick backs in order to close sales..

I tink its best we stop discussing on this issue.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dun worry so much , I am sure horizon hills are worth the money u paid for 1 or 2 yrs ago.... But recent launched prices, I won't comment Liao.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun worry so much , I am sure horizon hills are worth the money u paid for 1 or 2 yrs ago.... But recent launched prices, I won't comment Liao.

I buy for own possession..not for flipping so ok... But I am worried whether there is discrimination between locals and foreigners, relationship with developers vs no relationship at all.. If developer selling at 1m, subsales is 950k.. Are we sure the sellers didn't get it at 800 or below?

I am concerned about such malaysia boleh issues... Next time if want to buy something in malaysia, I guess I will be comfortable only take part in mass purchase rather than walk in..

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one area that SG is superior. It is easy to obtain caveats to check on previous transacted prices.

If the ceiling is indeed raised, I am very sure prices will just magically escalate and yes, locals are laughing at us buying in at these prices. Think there is too much feel good sentiment and one has to be careful here which has a history of flip-flop policies although it has improved over time.

But again, I am a very cautious, conservative and risk averse fellow so am careful where I put my hard earned money in and I never believe in leverage/debt :smile:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I don't feel very good now.. If i am buying from any malaysia Chinese developers in future, I ll know what to do.... If not I will wait for Wuqi's mass purchase..

This is one area that SG is superior. It is easy to obtain caveats to check on previous transacted prices.

If the ceiling is indeed raised, I am very sure prices will just magically escalate and yes, locals are laughing at us buying in at these prices. Think there is too much feel good sentiment and one has to be careful here which has a history of flip-flop policies although it has improved over time.

But again, I am a very cautious, conservative and risk averse fellow so am careful where I put my hard earned money in and I never believe in leverage/debt :smile:

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
^^Don't be disheartened. HH is still OK as it is the flagship project for UEM/Gamuda in Nusajaya. So long if you are buying for own stay it is still all right although I think the newer precincts are not that attractive.

Importantly is to get a good mortgage package if you are opting for it and I suggest paying to get a reputable lawyer to look after your interest in handling the transaction.

No point being penny wise pound foolish over RM10K+ for something you are spending a significant sum on.

Status
Not open for further replies.