• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.. must keep 11B as we know when we visit Wuqi's store in future, some discount will be given..

Talking about nostalgia and old stuff...

Gotten hang onto my SAF 11B tightly, it will be worth something in future :smile:

Just bought a collection of 1967-1985 old Singapore coins (1ct to $1) -- this will be very rare in future.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not despise, too strong a word but rather seeing the rot within the apple and acknowledging it. That is why I try to offset this by not behaving in the fashion I do not condone.

Well my passport is also not red since I have a passport cover :smile:

Singaporeans are really pathetic , GOVT treated them like third class citizens and our own fellow country ppl despsing their own ppl in other countries.
Accent is not that accurate anymore , a lot of PRs have been studying in SG since young . Monday I was driving to JB at causeway , 1 camry SG car cut into my lane and we almost collided . i remained cool and let him passed and but when i saw him passed his passport to immigration officer , it was not RED col passport.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very true so I tend not to judge on first impressions. In any case, I am sure the current environment will be fast changing in the next couple of years. Whether for better or worse we shall see :smile:

Hi bro 2bfree, not everyone is bad but these days you never know who is getting out of a SG/MY car.
Even i was fooled a couple of times when someone was rude to another person and she spoke English
normally until she switched to Mandarin which then became obvious.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Anyone calls you Kung Fu Panda

Hahaha, more like ninja panda or ninpo hippo if you ask my wife. :biggrin:

Contrary to popular belief, not all ninjas are in black but also in red or dark grey as it blends in better after dark.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes in my eyes and note that I said may and not that all are bad apples. But in my experience, you can spot a Singaporean rather easily in JB by their accent and mannerisms. I am Singaporean which is why I know my own countrymen intimately. When my friends come up here, you can see they have an air of superiority, never say thank you when being served, constant use of the word 'cheap' and aggressive driving on the roads. Of course not everyone is like that but enough anecdotal evidence leads me to back up my statements.

There is no need to get defensive. This is just my point of view in contrast to what HH has posted which is I am here to get away from the hustle and bustle that is SG life.

I am sure that there are many SPRs buying homes in MY which stings as they also own a HDB flat in SG. It is unfortunate that the HDB mandate of affordable housing for citizens is no longer true. But got to hand it to them that they know how to play the system to their advantage.

Actually then i must be a foreigner because i don't behave like that and i don't drive that aggressively although my passengers may beg to differ. I say thank you, but most times the staff don't even want to reply. Peace to all especially between 2 very good people.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 11B still in very good condition since I only use it once a year when I report back for ICT.

This year will be my last and then I will be placed on MR. No matter what, I have served the nation for a good 12 1/2 years which gives me some entitlement on airing my views on fellow citizens :smile:

Gotten hang onto my SAF 11B tightly, it will be worth something in future :smile:

Just bought a collection of 1967-1985 old Singapore coins (1ct to $1) -- this will be very rare in future.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which is why there are always exceptions to the norm and you are one of them!

Unfortunately, race/religious/national stereotyping does exist and for Singaporeans, the characteristics are the 3Ks (Kia-). Why this comes about? Many socio-political factors come into play. All we can do is to try and change it one person at a time.

Think we are getting far off track here so will no longer be add on to this topic since it has no relevance to the main thread gist :smile:

Actually then i must be a foreigner because i don't behave like that and i don't drive that aggressively although my passengers may beg to differ. I say thank you, but most times the staff don't even want to reply. Peace to all especially between 2 very good people.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Yes, its already worth something right now, at least to people like me.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 11B still in very good condition since I only use it once a year when I report back for ICT.

This year will be my last and then I will be placed on MR. No matter what, I have served the nation for a good 12 1/2 years which gives me some entitlement on airing my views on fellow citizens :smile:

not sure what type of NS trainings u been thru . but sounds like u got the same types from the pappies .....

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
At current birth rates, true-blue S'poreans who are born and raised in SG and still remaining in the country, will be a rare species by 2030 (prefer not to use "extinct").

Looks like the chosen kampung to retreat to is Nusajaya :smile:

We are lucky in the sense that at least we still have a kampung to retreat to. :smile:
So many others still don't know that they have options.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Attended some enrichment course in Johor last week.

Nobody in the class room knew I am Singaporean.. and I was not trying to hide anything when we talked and laughed during breaks..

On the second day I told some of them I came from Singapore.. I could feel a change in warmth displayed earlier.. Everyone has a perception of Singaporean.. it could be proud, loud and demanding. Likewise many people have a negative perception of china Chinese.. Many had certain perception of India indians (not native indian).. We got to be open because there are a lot of nice people everywhere.

Being a global city, we have lost our identity as Singaporeans.. In one way or anther, I am sad.. Who am I? Who are we? Just wish Singapore to be bigger..so those who don't want to live in city can still retreat to the countryside and kampong and enjoyed some kind of community living..

Hi Arsenal, from my limited experience, do inform them next time you have a house in Johor, they will view you at least slightly differently.
Its always important to keep an open mind and i agree, not every apple is bad regardess of their nationality. Being in Johore, i met many good and
worthy friends who helped me in many ways despite my being a foreigner.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Concurred on this comment. Thumbs up... Shared with a few friends about Nusajaya's potential on my blog, but i told them i'm not selling anything. We'll see in 1-2 years time...

Sometimes its a bit sad, the more you share, the more people thin you have an angle, or trying to earn money etc. Just do our level best, i called a couple of bros just now as they were kind of giving up after not being able to get the loan quantum they wanted, shared with them what little i knew and promised help should they need it. Most importantly, let them understand that they are not alone here.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because we are guests over here although we can own houses/apartments/cars/businesses. So like it or not, we do act as ambassadors of SG thus people will judge and form an opinion of us by our manners and actions.

but but but , the kampong doesnt belongs to us and not all welcome us .....

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not despise, too strong a word but rather seeing the rot within the apple and acknowledging it. That is why I try to offset this by not behaving in the fashion I do not condone.

Well my passport is also not red since I have a passport cover :smile:

Its good to watch our behaviour but i will continue to have more empathy towards the plight of our people as the proverbial pot is slowly heating up. Few noticed though and most continue to praise albeit now with slightly muted tones.

A very learned bro recently commented that sooner or later, more will become like the boat people.
He said "I choose to leave Saigon by a Pan Am plane rather than in a leaky crowded boat towards the end of its days"

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because we have been conditioned in our environment that nobody does things for free or out of goodwill :biggrin:

But there are also people who jump onto the bandwagon blindly, then rationalizing that even if they cannot adapt to staying here, they can sell the property for much profit down the road. This is something that is going on in SG as well. I am glad that at least I have neighbors beside me (be it actual owner stay or tenanted) rather than empty homes waiting for capital appreciation :smile:

Sometimes its a bit sad, the more you share, the more people thin you have an angle, or trying to earn money etc. Just do our level best, i called a couple of bros just now as they were kind of giving up after not being able to get the loan quantum they wanted, shared with them what little i knew and promised help should they need it. Most importantly, let them understand that they are not alone here.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
That's because we are guests over here although we can own houses/apartments/cars/businesses. So like it or not, we do act as ambassadors of SG thus people will judge and form an opinion of us by our manners and actions.

Agree with this part, we are the face of SG so to speak here, behaving and following the host countries rules, etc is definitely something which to look out for.
There are always some bad apples but not everyone is like that.

Singaporeans are already a forlorn lot by their own government and own country, let not the people forsake them as well.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking deeply is good at times but I don't wish to misconstrue a vague statement so that is why it is better to seek clarification :smile:

For the sake of openness, I am only a lowly ranked 3rd SGT in an armored division that has to go outfield for exercises and training. No comfort of sitting in command centers or back at HQ :biggrin: Now on the verge of downgrading just when I am approaching my MR due to accumulated injuries stemming back from NSF days...

u have to think deeply .......

Status
Not open for further replies.