• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liverpool Supporters fall in here!!! Season 2008/09

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is a dream move from Keane.
so let hope he can repay us with his goals.

we should forget about Barry and look for others before the deadline.
think he still have a year left on his contract,so maybe we can get him for free,next season.

hendrix69

Liverpool Fan Reporting.

Yes, Keane could be 'IT', but IT is way too expensive. Hope they keep pursuing Villa.

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
4iha9h.jpg

Rafael Benitez declared himself pretty satisfied with the debut of Robbie Keane after the Republic of Ireland star enjoyed a 45 minute run-out during the goalless draw with La Liga runners-up Villarreal at the El Madrigal Stadium.
The new Kop number seven was paired alongside fellow new signing David Ngog for the first half, and Keane was unfortunate not to make it a scoring debut when he came close with an effort in the first half.

"To see Robbie with the new lads out there was positive," said Benitez. "Robbie worked hard and he wanted to impress. He played his part in some good movements in attack and showed his quality."

The game also saw the return to action of the Spanish heroes Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Alvaro Arbeloa and former Villarreal favourite Pepe Reina, who all enjoyed their first outing of pre-season in the second half.

The boss also gave a strong hint that he could pair Keane and Torres for the first time in attack against Rangers in Saturday's friendly at Ibrox.

"I want to see them together before our first game in the Champions League qualifier," said Benitez.

"They will have enough games now to play together before the start of the season and maybe they will have 45 minutes on Saturday.

"Torres will play some games in a row now. He had some chances tonight but he only played for 20 minutes which was the idea in his first game back."

The boss also praised youngsters Ngog and Krisztian Nemeth who joined Keane in making their Reds bow in Spain.

"Ngog doesn't know his team-mates yet but he worked hard and again it was positive for us," said Benitez. "Nemeth deserved his chance and he showed his quality.

"The main idea for us tonight was to improve the fitness level of the team and I think we did that."

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
20mil for Keane,it is a bit expensive.
why they dun use it to buy Barry ?
Barry is younger and should be a great partner for Gerrard.

rahl

Another Pool thread heheh, seems a bit neglected.

Pool fan since '88, after the Wimbledon debacle :wink:

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey AhPek65,

not steal la,it is a free market.
anywhere,since he is a Reds supporter and opportunity does not come twice.
at his age,once your favourite team comes along,he will surely go.

hope he can team up well with Torres and score a lot of goals.
from the friendlies,he is playing good.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reds paid way over the top for Keane, who is in in late 20s afterall. Look at what Ronaldhino's transfer to AC and what Chelsea have offered for Robinho and you can see that Spurs got a windfall. This is a make or break for Rafa, if he does not bring in the EPL or the CL this season, then it is out you go Rafa. Ngog and Plesis look quite good though going by the recent pre season games.

20mil for Keane,it is a bit expensive.
why they dun use it to buy Barry ?
Barry is younger and should be a great partner for Gerrard.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reds paid way over the top for Keane, who is in in late 20s afterall.

well. 28 yrs old is the worst age to buy a player. The selling club would demand big bucks for the player supposedly in his peak at 28. But the player have little resale value 2 years later when he reach the dreaded 30 yrs old.

from what I read, Keane has looked a poor man version of Dirk Kuyt in recent friendlies and that is not a compliment to Kuyt. You can't get any lower than that.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
the Yankees will not provide the funds to buy Barry after Villa has agreed to let go of hime.
maybe can wait till his contract over and we can get him for free.

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
<marquee direction="up" behavior="alternate">2008 UEFA Champions Lge Qualifying Rd: Standard De Liege vs Liverpool
live from starhub #22 3am onwards tomorrow morning......
</marquee>

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BENITEZ REFUSES TO ABANDON BARRY
Posted 12/08/08 19:30EmailPrintSave

Defiant Rafael Benitez has declared himself "completely calm" as he approaches Liverpool's crucial Champions League qualifier against Standard Liege.

But as Liverpool prepare to face the Belgian champions in the first leg of their third qualifying round tie, this could well be the calm before another Anfield storm.

Benitez is still privately furious that the club's American owners have all-but vetoed his £18million move for Gareth Barry.

When Benitez returns home from this match, and before the Barclays Premier League starts for his team on Saturday at Sunderland, Benitez will try again to resurrect the Barry deal.

By then Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill could have cup-tied Barry in Europe by playing him in the UEFA Cup against FH Hafnarfjardar from Iceland.

That should finish the deal for good, but Benitez is a stubborn man and anything is still possible.

Benitez refused to be drawn on the situation, or a host of possible deals he could be doing in the next fortnight before the transfer window shuts.

Asked whether he had made any contact with owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to discuss the current crisis, Benitez would only say: "I am not thinking about signing players at the moment, because they cannot play against Liege tomorrow. I am only concentrating on this game.

"And I have not needed to contact the owners because they cannot help with the preparation for this match. I prefer not to say anything else."

His mood was remarkably serene considering the embarrassment of how the owners put the block on the Barry deal, and he said: "I was really calm last week, and I am concentrating on the game. We did not have big problems.

"I have not been distracted, I have been focusing on this game and getting to the Champions League group stages."

The bottom line is that if you are going to launch a war with your bosses again, you have to win in Europe.

Liverpool's financial position is worrying, and they need a run in the group stages desperately to bring in the guaranteed millions which the Champions League affords its clubs.

Benitez, aware of the financial implications for Rangers following their Champions League exit to FBK Kaunas last week, said: "I always have confidence in my players, but when you play against anyone in Europe you have to be very careful.

"We know Standard are a good team, especially at home.

"It is not just English clubs that should worry about making mistakes against smaller teams. Every club must be aware of the quality of your opponents.

"You must be really focused for every game, you cannot change things once you have made a mistake.

"My aim is to win here to make sure we progress. Since I have been at Liverpool we have always known how important it is to qualify for the group stages.

"We always have known. And we must make sure that we do qualify for the next stage.

"There is no more pressure than in previous seasons, we all know how important it is to get past this qualifying round.

"Everyone knows how important the Champions League is for us, we must play well.

"I am not thinking about signing players at the moment, because they cannot play against Liege tomorrow. I am only concentrating on this game."

Benitez has now been linked with Chelsea's Joe Cole plus young Polish right wing-back Jakub Blaszczykowski who plays for Borussia Dortmund.

He is clearly about to sell Steve Finnan after what is believed to have been a falling-out between the pair over claims that the Irishman has been offered to other clubs.

Finnan is not with the squad, but Xabi Alonso is in Belgium and despite suggestions he could still be sold - along with Andriy Voronin and Jermaine Pennant - Benitez confirmed he is prepared to cup-tie the Spaniard in Europe here.

The same would seemingly apply to Voronin and Pennant, both with the party

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
first leg of CL qualifier,nil-nil draw.
anyone saw the game,please give some comments of our players,thanks.

A

americanidol

first leg of CL qualifier,nil-nil draw.
anyone saw the game,please give some comments of our players,thanks.

i didnt watch the match but i heard it was a terrible performance by the reds

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
tomorrow first match is an away match against Sunderland.
hope we can get a good start to the season.

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
not a good performance by the Reds against Standard Liege.
the first match of the new season away,against Sunderland.
we should win quite comfortable and get the 3 points.