• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lim Chee Guan bak kwa.... mouldy within 10 days! Acceptable?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
barely_10_days_old_but_bak_kwa_already_mouldy__before_cny-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer mandy was shocked to find a package of bak kwa purchased just 10 days ago had gone mouldy before Chinese New Year. She was also rudely dismissed by the sales assistant when she tried to exchange it.

Said mandy in her email (Feb 3):

"Less than 10 days old, but bak kwa turned mouldy even before CNY!

"To make things worst, the sales assistant from Lim Chee Guan refused to do an exchange and I was pushed away.

"BEWARE OF YOUR BAK KWA!

"Check it before eating."

bakwa1jpg1296716939012-data.jpg

bakwa3jpg1296716955446-data.jpg

bakwa2jpg1296716944480-data.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The more tender the bak kwa, the shorter its shelf-life.

Those really hard ones will keep longer.

The Singapore humid climate doesn't help either.

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun buy bak kwa for CNY, but bought Fragrance's when priced at $12 per 500g, which used to be $10.

To me, to choose the brand of bak kwa is like asking me to choose between Pepsi or Coke. Same same.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
At least you know they didn't use too much preservatives. Eg. humble bakery bread grows mouldy after a couple of days (ie. little preservatives). Gardenia bread grows mouldy after a week (ie. more preservatives). Sunshine bread never grows mouldy (ie. fucking lots of preservatives).

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I dun buy bak kwa for CNY, but bought Fragrance's when priced at $12 per 500g, which used to be $10.

To me, to choose the brand of bak kwa is like asking me to choose between Pepsi or Coke. Same same.

Agreed. Fragrance is best value for money. During off season, the price is almost half of popular brand. The taste difference is really marginal for Bak Kwa.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
At least you know they didn't use too much preservatives. Eg. humble bakery bread grows mouldy after a couple of days (ie. little preservatives). Gardenia bread grows mouldy after a week (ie. more preservatives). Sunshine bread never grows mouldy (ie. fucking lots of preservatives).

Not sure about preservative for bread?

I thought the preservatives for Bak Kwa are sugar/honey and salt?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
bakwa1jpg1296716939012-data.jpg

Looks damn bad for the brandname. I don't usually buy bakkwa but I've received it as gift before. I keep it in airtight container and munch on it piece by piece over a week or so, no problem. When I visited my Chinese friends' homes, I notice they usually keep it in the unsealed cake box. Well, the cake box is usually brightly designed and looks good, but I'm sure it's not designed to keep food fresh over anything like 10 days. Perhaps that's why Chinese queued up for bakkwa during the last few days to LNY. As they want to serve it in the pretty box, they'd have to buy it late.

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Fragrance is best value for money. During off season, the price is almost half of popular brand. The taste difference is really marginal for Bak Kwa.

agreed too...

during off season, frangance is only about $13-15 for 500g. the taste/quality maybe be slightly different, but it still worth for eating.

I used to buy 100-200g from Bee Cheng Hiong during off season, but have switched to Frangance recently.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Would you rather have so much preservatives in the meat that you can keep it till the next new year?

Please lah, looks more like a good thing they go mouldy so fast than to see them remain fresh after being exposed to the polluted air in Singapore.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe the owner of mouldy bak kwa should check his home? maybe it is not clean home. maybe they have dogs, dogs are dirty.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that is the truth.

we can do experiment.

let said one family have no dogs or pets, take their sample throughout the house and measure the amount of germs in the house.

then the same family have dogs for several month, take sample again, hell the amount of germs will be significantly higher.

therefore we can conclude dogs are dirty.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah, Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa so fast turn mouldy?
I have ever eaten Bak Kwa that is bought 1 month ago.:eek:

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah, Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa so fast turn mouldy?
I have ever eaten Bak Kwa that is bought 1 month ago.:eek:

Kept for 10 days?
I thought Lim Chee Guan's bak kwa was supposed to be consumed within 48 hrs..... tats what the salesgirl always tells me whenever I buy from them. :rolleyes:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
agreed too...

during off season, frangance is only about $13-15 for 500g. the taste/quality maybe be slightly different, but it still worth for eating.

I used to buy 100-200g from Bee Cheng Hiong during off season, but have switched to Frangance recently.

Just like Fragrance hotel, its bak kwa is always reasonably priced.