• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Yi Shyan the next lee kuan Yew in making

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dec 18, 2010
'PAP absent everywhere, present everywhere'
Mr Lee Yi Shyan was head of PAP's external relations sub-committee from 2008 to this year. The committee hosts visits by foreign delegations. Here are excerpts from an interview with him.
By Cai Haoxiang

ST_IMAGES_HXPARTY18_8.jpg

-- ST FILE PHOTO

# What is the proportion of party visits to PAP HQ from China?

About 80 per cent of party visits come from China, the other 20 per cent from all over the world - Malaysia, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, South Africa. Every year, about 50 party delegations visit the PAP HQ in Bedok.

# Why are the Chinese looking at the PAP model?

In Minister of the Central Organisation Department Li Yuanchao's words, both CCP (Chinese Communist Party) and PAP have ruled continuously for 50 years or more.

CCP has its own reasons for its longevity but it wants to know why PAP can 'make it' every five years when elections are called.

We are an Asian society, a majority Chinese society, and somehow have assimilated Chinese culture with Western practices.

They think that if we can succeed, maybe it is a road forward for them. Each time, a more senior leader comes, pointing to the strength of our organisation, our involvement with people, our understanding of the frontline issues... Mr Li is senior enough to send signals.

# What questions do the Chinese usually raise with the PAP?

Generally the questions are about how we develop our leadership, how we spot and groom talent for renewal, how we stamp out corruption, what kind of training we conduct, how we organise ourselves, what kind of components do we have, youth wing, women's wing, and how we reach out to different groups in society.

But I think their underlying interest is to figure out what China should do to make their party relevant so they have the legitimacy to rule the country.

# What answers did you give them?

We share our experience and practices. For instance, they are quite impressed by the fact that we have Meet-the-People sessions and go to heartland events, have many community functions over the weekends and evenings, and ordinary residents of the constituency can tell us problems and shake hands with us.

In their system they have many layers of government, it is very hard for central government officials to go down to the grassroots level.

They have a system of xiang shang bao gao (reporting to the top) but we have a system of xiang shang bao gao xiang xia fu zhe (reporting to the top and being responsible for the bottom).

# What do you think the CCP takes away from the PAP's organisation and structure?

They were very amazed that PAP is absent everywhere but present everywhere.

In China, the Communist Party will typically have a very dominant or prominent building in every city. But in Singapore, you cannot find the party building.

Even our party headquarters is a modest structure co-located with a childcare kindergarten. But they realise that the party's manifesto and value system are operationalised in every part of the Government and society.

For instance, you can see this in the concept of financial prudence, in saving, no budget deficit for a sustained period, not spending more than we are earning, building up our nest egg for the future.

# What lessons did the PAP draw from the CCP during the Jiangsu visit?

One big lesson is that we are trying to solve very similar problems in society.

We visited their residential committee, what we call an RC (residents' committee) in the Singapore context. The party secretary was discussing concerns and requests from his residents.

The topic was how to help the ageing population, whether they could build lifts. They said funding was an issue and discussed how to and whom they should ask for so much money.

I think we have a different organisation, a different system. We know that we are solving the problems of a society, we're getting in touch with the grassroots, but we don't hardwire it, say that it must be the party that should do it, or via the Constitution to say that the PAP should lead the country.

The bottom line is really that if the party is not in touch with the majority, the grassroots any more, then it will risk being irrelevant.

To be relevant and to be able to continue to have the mandate to lead, you must be in touch with the ground and work for the interests of the majority of the people.

The CCP faces a lot of internal challenges in the sense that while it has brought economic benefits and social progress to the country, it faces issues of uneven growth, a small part of the party abusing power, corruption, nepotism.

In some specific locations, this had actually discredited the party, such that people start to question its authority to lead.

# What do you expect to see as a result of this heightened relationship with CCP?

Government-to-government ties are already significant but party-to party ties symbolise a deeper level of engagement.

It's just like friends. If I know you superficially, you won't be telling me, in my home, my brother is not studying very well, is there anything you can do to help me?

Previously, we can talk about the Monetary Authority of Singapore in managing reserves, or the Central Provident Fund in building a social security system. This is government at the executive level.

But now, we talk about how we decide what Singapore should be in the next two years, what's the structure... These are things that cannot be answered at the operational level.

We don't pretend that the things that we do here will be perfectly relevant to them but the facts speak for themselves, in the sense that we have 50 years of self rule and party rule and the PAP remains relevant.

So we ourselves want to be in touch with the ground and hope that our renewal will contribute to the sustained growth of Singapore.

QUIET BUT ALL PERVASIVE

'They were very amazed that PAP is absent everywhere but present everywhere. In China, the Communist Party will typically have a very dominant or prominent building in every city. But in Singapore, you cannot find the party building... But they realise that the party's manifesto and value system are operationalised in every part of the Government and society.'

Mr Lee Yi Shyan

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have a system of xiang shang bao gao (reporting to the top) but we have a system of xiang shang bao gao xiang xia fu zhe (reporting to the top and being responsible for the bottom)

Haa haa.. that is the funniest thing I've heard this week. I think it should be "we have 官官相应"。

PAP is so well known for it's lack of accountability that the audacity of mentioning of this is an insult to intelligence.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
"In Minister of the Central Organisation Department Li Yuanchao's words, both CCP (Chinese Communist Party) and PAP have ruled continuously for 50 years or more."

"CCP has its own reasons for its longevity but it wants to know why PAP can 'make it' every five years when elections are called."

CCP 's longevity because Deng dared to change from one dictator for ever to one dictator limited to 8 yeras only

PAP's longevity because it has one super man LKY.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
CCP just need one thing to transform into a PAP monster.. that ingredient is called national service

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haa haa.. that is the funniest thing I've heard this week. I think it should be "we have 官官相应"。

PAP is so well known for it's lack of accountability that the audacity of mentioning of this is an insult to intelligence.

"They have a system of xiang shang bao gao (reporting to the top) but we have a system of xiang shang bao gao xiang xia fu zhe (reporting to the top and being responsible for the bottom) "

In Singapore,it is

xiang shang fu zhe xiang xia qian zhe (responsible to the top and blame for the bottom)

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
CCP just need one thing to transform into a PAP monster.. that ingredient is called national service

I think PRC has NS. All must go report but not all selected. Only PES AA selected and offered sign-on. Enough to form 3-million army already. Those not selected are straightaway put on holding list and probably never bothered again for the rest of their lives. If all PES A to C must do NS, PLA should be more than 100-million strong! :eek::eek::eek:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China did have a version of NS. Given their population, this resulted in a HUGE army that was very ineffective and grossly ill-equipped - they just didn't have the resources to equip everyone.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
hopefully many PRCs will come to Singapore to make it their second home, if not the first

really need PRCs, really

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE=besotted;630109]hopefully many PRCs will come to Singapore to make it their second home, if not the first

really need PRCs, really[/QUOTE]

HELLO MOTHER FUCKING "HIGH CLASS" PAP RUNNING DOGS BESOTTED & IVBERT,
i ASSUME BOTH OF YOU FUCKERS ARE SINGAPOREAN EMPLOYERS WHO LOVE TO SEE FOREIGNERS TAKING OVER SINGAPOREANS' RICE BOWLS.
BOTH OF YOU FUCKERS HAVE BEEN INSULTING SINGAPOREANS HERE IN EVERY OF YOUR POST SINCE DAY ONE. SINCE SAMMYBOY'S FORUM IS FULL OF LOW-INCOME, NO-HOPE LOSERS (ACCORDING TO YOU) , MAY I SUGGEST THAT YOU STOP POSTING HERE WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT?? SINCE HIGH-CLASS PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD NEVER BE MINGLING WITH LOW-CLASS SINGAPOREANS ??? :eek:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Lee Yi Shyan (any relation of the famous dynasty?)is now getting alot of media coverage. He is high profile material, question is "Is he also prime ministerial material?" :biggrin: