• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Hsien Loong - sorry we have no idea on globalisation

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
What PM Lee would have done differently...
He says he would have helped Singapore workers train earlier to face challenges of globalisation
By Li Xueying & Cassandra Chew

WITH the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, P
rime Minister Lee Hsien Loong would have started preparing Singaporeans 'five, or better still, 10 years earlier' for the challenges of globalisation.

While Singapore has put 'a lot of resources' in education and training, he would have pumped in more - and sooner - to help workers upgrade and train for an era in which knowledge is 'absolutely critical'.

'If we had known how quickly the pace of change would accelerate and how much our people would be under pressure from globalisation... we would have put even more resources in,' Mr Lee said last night.

Singapore, he said, would then 'have less of a problem now of workers catching up'.

While the Continuing Education and Training programme to promote lifelong learning can be traced as far back as 1973, it made inroads in a big way only in recent years, after the Workforce Development Agency was set up in 2003.

Workers and employers alike remain in need of persuasion as to the importance of training.

PM Lee was speaking at a dialogue with diplomats, corporate leaders and journalists at the St Regis hotel, organised by American news network CNN to mark its 30th anniversary.

Moderator Ellana Lee, managing editor of CNN International Asia-Pacific, had asked him what was the one thing he would have done differently as a Singapore leader.

While expressing regret that his government could have better anticipated the pace of globalisation and its impact on Singaporeans, Mr Lee also noted that leadership styles have had to evolve in the past decade.

For instance, technological advances mean that leaders today have to work not only with traditional channels of communication, but also Internet-based platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

'Even 10 years ago, it was less complicated than it is today,' he noted. 'Today, you may be on CNN but there are many other channels, and not all of them are news channels.'

CNN, the first television channel to provide 24-hour global news coverage, was first with the news of the Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States.

In a speech before the dialogue last night, PM Lee traced in broad strokes political developments in Asia in the last 30 years. Looking ahead and keeping itself open to the rest of the world would be key to the continent's progress, he said.

As for China - 'an ancient civilisation that will not measure itself against Western norms' - it will evolve politically, for its society is changing and opening up, but it will find its own way forward even as its leaders acknowledge the need for political reform.

Asked about the current wave of protectionist posturing ahead of the Group of 20 summit next month, he observed that much of it was due to 'domestic politics'.

These include the mid-term elections in the US next month, prompting politicians to find 'bogeymen' for their economic problems.

Urging governments to avoid isolationist tendencies or succumbing to protectionist pressures, he said going it alone was no solution: 'You will be alone but you won't prosper, not even the United States and certainly not China.'

Mr Oh Joon, the South Korean Ambassador to Singapore, wanted to know Mr Lee's predictions of future growth areas.

Mr Lee's reply: 'We cannot tell which the new winners will be.'

Some of the areas Singapore placed bets on - electronics, pharmaceuticals and petrochemicals - have done well, he noted.

'For the next phase, I think it is harder for us to say where exactly the growth will come from because if you look at the Fortune 500 companies today, many of them were not Fortune 500 10 years ago. Some of them didn't even exist 10 years ago.'

To laughter, he added: 'Some things you can rule out. I think aluminium smelting is not likely to take off in Singapore, hydropower isn't likely to come here, or steel.'

Where Singapore can have an advantage is in knowledge-intensive industries, which require not cheap inputs but good infrastructure and a sound economic environment.

He said: 'If you run a bank, you don't just need cheap rentals.

'There must be a good legal system, air services, a government you can trust, stability, a place where your family can live safely, where your children can go to school, hospitals - a whole ecosystem.'

Singapore, he noted, has two particular strengths: an open, connected and English-speaking environment, and a government that 'works and is able to see beyond the next election to ask, 'What must I do so that I'm in a strong position in 10 to 20 years' time?''

[email protected]
[email protected]

GETTING A HEAD START

'If we had known how quickly the pace of change would accelerate and how much our people would be under pressure from globalisation... we would have put even more resources in.'
PM Lee, when asked about the one thing he would have done differently

PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON...

# Whether the qualities needed to be a great leader of a country have changed in the last 30 years
'In a fundamental sense, I suppose not. You need ability, conviction, a certain ability to move people, and to stick to it through thick and thin and persuade people that if they go with you, they will be all right. And that's fundamental.

'But how do you persuade people, how you cope with the challenges of the day, how do you deal with Twitter and the Internet - that will have to vary from generation to generation.

'Even 10 years ago, it was less complicated. Today, you may be on CNN but there are many other channels, and not all of them are news channels. So how do you reach out to the population?

'After 9/11, everybody tunes in and watches the US President make his speech.

'But in peacetime, we are watching so many other things, and yet we need to have common ground, and to mobilise, or at least generate a consensus and an ability to push in a consistent direction and get things started. That is a big challenge in many countries.'

# What he hopes his legacy will be
'Let me get my job done first. The legacy can look after itself...

'It's not easy to keep a system going. The Chinese say, to create an enterprise is hard, to maintain it is even harder. And here we are seeking not just to maintain it but to build on what we have achieved, and make... the previous generations' achievements the foundation on which we will scale new heights.'

# Who he thinks are the most effective leaders
'In South-east Asia, Suharto was an effective leader. He did many good things for Indonesia and fostered stability and growth not just for Indonesia but also for the whole region, and Singapore was a beneficiary of that.

'I didn't meet him but Yitzhak Rabin in Israel was a great leader.
'I vividly remember watching him in Oslo with Yasser Arafat and his speech said, 'We've had enough blood, enough death, enough pain, no more and let's go for peace.' It didn't work and eventually he was assassinated.'

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't you sinkie feel disgrace to have such a loser as prime minister? It does make your whole country stinks.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
After PM Lee settled the funeral of his mum,he starts the usual thing-talk cock to his citizens,those who have the power to sack him soon.

What did PM Lee and his ministers(S$2.5 million per year each)do during the last 10 years,as far as I know,they talk non-stop about the importance of FTs,I suggest PM Lee's highly paid secretary does some work,and dig out th past 10 years record,lets us the citizens know what did he say exactly.

Don't do it,honourable Prime Minister.
Always think stratght and talk straight,you can con some people some of the time,all people some of the time,but not,all the people all the time,especially now with genius BILL GATES's internet.

I sincerely hope that you change!Furute is there for all yr citizens to chart all together!

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
He confirmed it. It was PAP that slowed the country down. Dictatorial leadership no longer can exist in this world. It is not reactive enough.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He never learned. During Financial crisis, he said he has no clue on any solution and requested Singaporeans to back him up. After financial crisis, he realised his wife and father loss billions of tax monies. Without consulting Singaporeans, since he always thought his LEE family knows best, he flooded Singapore with cheap and fake skilled foreigners that eat into every wages of Singaporeans and pushed up our cost of livings which further caused HDB to rise into bubble.

Ulimtately Singapore became low productivity country with high cost of living, transport efficiency compromised, society eclave formed, Singapore divided into the rich and poor, foreigners and citizens on the offensive mode. Stress in our society mounted to a level never seen before.

Without further repent he talked cock sang song during his NDP rally, cherry picking examples to fake his success stories. Fortunately, no one buys into his words this time as election loomed.

Fear of losing in the election, he tried to do a reverse stunt. Fixing and manipulating was his specialty started to show. Flipping roti prata on the other side to dilute the heat. Spending much time on calculating the number of new citizens and requesting for regular update on election register. Guerrymandering remains a secret and known only as last minute. HDB comes out with several tactics to cool the market and MBT swallowed all his previous mouth shits and started to fake concern about high HDB price. HDB, a statutory board used again as political tool, started to twist rules and regulations causing more confusion to the property market. It was like the govt realised they were speeding illegally all these years and started to pull a quick brake but caused more casualties instead.

In his globalisation talk yesterday LHL tried to spin into damage control and tachi the blames to the world and shamed Singaporeans for not picking up skills not taught in MOE while other countries like China and India MOE fare better than ours. Thus theirs are more talented than ours to justify the needs for their skills (fake or genuine is anyone guess). As if this is not shameful enough on his leadership, and being the highest paid of all government in this world, he added insult to his own injury by telling the world that he is in fact, clueless (2nd time used in crisis) that all these problems created by him would hit hard on Singaporeans. As if we, the lesser mortal, do not know too.

If PAP is not voted out of Singapore and path way for new governtment,many more people will continue to suffer under PAP endless blunders.

Last edited:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If PAP is not voted out of Singapore and path way for new governtment,many more people will continue to suffer under PAP endless blunders.
as much as i wan for a change, i afraid the 66% not jumping ship.

sg ppl are too dependent on the govt and take tings for granted.
i sumtimes casual tok and listen, ppl ard me still tink itz not a serious big prob for govt making such mistakes.
as long gt jobs, gt pay, can liao.
they are afraid dey dunno to survive on the street if pap step dwn.

but itz time for a change. come on ppl, make the right decision.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Freudian slip from our Cambridge double first PM, after the famous 'fix opposition and buy votes' slip.

In other words, PM is saying﹔"It's all my fault that Singaporeans are without jobs; it's all my fault that Singaporeans who are highly educated have ended up driving taxis. I have great hindsight but zero foresight. Thank you for your continual support every GE."

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lan eh.. "If We had known".. Char chai lulian chiu tua chang lor..
si mi lan PM lai???

If I had known that Mee Siam doesn't come with 'hum', I shouldn't have used that analogy...what to do, it had already happened, let us move on.

If we had known that excessive rain can flood Orchard Road, we would have spent billion of dollars earlier to improve the drainage.

If we had known that YOG cost over run the estimates, we would should not have embark on it, but we know very well how much we give on on social welfare on a budget, that is spot on.

If we had known, If I had known, if you had known what you are doing with you vote..:biggrin:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't you sinkie feel disgrace to have such a loser as prime minister? It does make your whole country stinks.

hi there

1. aiyoh! why do sheep feel disgraced?
2. after all, sheep are to be led by some sheep.
3. the latter being paid million dollars mah!

brandon66

Alfrescian
Loyal
reminds me of what my Sergeant used to say

goes something like this...

Sergeant: Corporal XXX, why you do this (some cock up thing)

Corporal X: Sergeant, but I thought...

Sergeant: I thought you thought, I thought you Chee Bye ah!!!

:biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Must be something going on with the Lees and Suharto. Suharto was universally hated by the Indons for his corruption and other things, but for some reason, the Lees love to bend down and suck his lancheow. Old Goat made a personal pilgrimmage all the way to Jakarta to visit him on his deathbed, a luxury he never accorded to rajaratnam and Keng Swee who are 10 mins from his house. Now his Gay son is saying that , and now he says that Suharto is one of the most effective leaders? WTF? How effective can u be when u steal 10% of everything?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Gay Loong does not understand that you can spend unlimited amounts of money on training, educating and upgrading sinkies, but it does not help them get a job or keep a job when he lets in 2 million FTs that are willing to work for 40% of the pay and undercut them all the time.

Capano2020

Alfrescian
Loyal

He is a bargain price PM so we must definitely expect half past six bargain capability! Always remember, "The Singapore Government performs trials & peasants pay for their errors".

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 YEARS AGO

Lee Hsien Loong, in the previous election, warned that if Singaporeans vote for opposition parties, he will have no time to plan NEXT week , the next month, the following 5 years policies. He whined that if we vote for oppoistions, he will spend all his time fixing them and where to find time helping Singaporeans solve problems.

NOW, 5 YEARS LATER

After upping his own salaries by 2 folds, and squeezing peasants dry from his so-called GST to help the poor. He flooded Singapore with foreign Cheapo to steal our jobs and caused poverty to rise. With election drawing near. He has this to say again.
"If I had known how quickly the pace of change would accelerate and how much our people would be under pressure, from globalisation, I would have prepared Singaporean earlier."

Now it leaves one to wonder, has he admitted that he has been complacent and sleeping on his jobs all these years? What has he been planning all these years without opposition party to spur him on his hind. His father, a so-called expensive million dollars forecasters didn't foresee the problems caused by his son to the people of Singapore. His promise that he can focus on making policies (without obstacles of opposition) turned out to be a scam. He must have been busy helping the jinx how to gamble away our monies. With immediate effect all Singaporeans CPF are locked up for good and never get to see the daylight anymore.

As election is drawing closer and the power rested in the voter's hand. Do you still trust a liar who has broken his promise to bring a better life? Do you still trust someone who believe in BUYING VOTES instead of WINNING HEARTS. Do you trust that PAP, without opposition, are more kind towards the people. If you believe what PAP has told you, than you are better be daft and need more spur to wake up your sleepy hind - and those are unflattering quotes taken from those higher mortal to bash you and whom you voted in the previous election to bring a better life (or not).

Under the leadership of PAP, they will have $400mil to spend on YOG, but no budget for North East CDC. Under PAP leadership, expect to see more charity shows that symbolise failure of this country to alleviate poverty. Under PAP leadership, Singaporeans have no joy of life.

VOTE OUT PAP!!

Last edited: