• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lau Lee's poor attempt to intimidate NMP

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Lau Lee's poor attempt to intimidate NMP</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>MissClarity <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-19 8:25 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 41) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19483.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>In Lau Lee's defence against NMP Viswas suggestion to consider the values in the pledge when considering national issues in parliament, he shows that he is losing his edge.
He might have the gravitas to chide the NMP, but his argument lacks in substance.
His 3 point strategy:
1. Pick on just one point(race) out of all the values (eg justice, equality, etc) in the pledge, stretch it to the logical extreme (by bringing in some old historical shit that only he knows), in order to discredit all of the valuable points listed in the pledge.
This style of defence/argument is often used when one has a very poor hand to start with.
Is he saying that parliament should not consider all those virtues like unity, democracy, justice, equality when voting for policies just because of some historical fact about race that he has just disclosed?
2. Get Hen to reinforce his argument by showing how those values were operative over the last 50 years.
Over the last 2 elections, have we been moving more towards or away from the values? Think of justice (Tang Wee Sung's 1 day jail vs the homeless fella who was jailed for 4 days and told to chain himself to a tree with a bicyle chain), equality (FT rights vs locals, MPs getting pensions vs the rest of the Sgians with no such option), democracy (opposition members being made bankrupts, a compliant media who'd spin all the news to their favor).
2 election = 10 years. Now you know why Hen needed to choose a 50 year time frame for comparision?
The current batch of MPs are living on borrowed goodwill, and their store of it is wearing very thin.
3. Get the media to use strong words like "demolish" to try to upkeep the illusion of the old man still being powerful enough to crush his opponent's arguments.
Did he really "demolish" the argument based on facts and a good argument, or did he try to use his gravitas and drama to try to scare a new NMP? I think the old man is more frightened that if he doesnt show his displeasure with this NMP's act of pointing out their flaws, more of the other NMPs will follow suit.

In the midst of all this cut-and-thrust, where was our great leader, LHL? It was not reported that he had offered any form leadership to this important debate where our core values that every Singaporean. Was he waiting for 12 days before he spoke up like in the MSK case?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>In the midst of all this cut-and-thrust, where was our great leader, LHL? It was not reported that he had offered any form leadership to this important debate where our core values that every Singaporean. Was he waiting for 12 days before he spoke up like in the MSK case?<<<

TV2009080920203300.jpg

Can't u see I'm bz? *chey*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>MissClarity <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-19 8:35 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 42) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19483.2 in reply to 19483.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>After 40+ years, now Lau Lee finally reveals that the values in our pledge are merely "aspirations" and not idealogy.
Why didnt he clarify that with us 40 years ago?
Is he playing with words by re-naming the purpose of the pledge for their own convenience?
It reminds me of the story Animal Farm, when after the pigs took over the farm, they reworded rules to suit the rulers' needs, and not the needs of the worker animals in the farm.
Before: "Four legs good, two legs bad."
After : "Four legs good, two legs BETTER."
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot> </TD><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>MissClarity <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-19 10:08 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>FeiHK <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (17 of 42) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19483.17 in reply to 19483.11 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Yeah, to my horror, our Constitution has been changed by the MIW.
Quote from http://endorphinxjunkie.blogspot.com/2009/08/something-ive-learnt-today.html :
He said: "We expressly stated in our Constitution, a duty on behalf of the government, not to treat everyone as equal.
To think that many citizens, like myself, have always believed in the core values of the pledge and principle of equality.
Why make the citzenry aim for something that the leaders have no interest or ability (per the amended Constitution) to uphold?
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>MissClarity <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-19 10:20 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>wt19 <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(19 of 42) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19483.19 in reply to 19483.18 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>This is the result of unchecked powers granted to the ruling party who has the overwhemling majority.
They can change our precious Constitution any way they wish since they have the numbers.
Hope the opposition MPs pick up on this point - that this is a very good example of what the ruling party can do to them without their knowledge.
It scares me because if the MIW wants let PRs vote, there is currently nothing to stop them. Not even the Constitution.
We desperately really need to get the minimum number of opposition candidates into parliament to block such Constitutional changes.
Once the MIW changes the voting rules, it'll be checkmate for Singaporeans.
Once that happens, you can be sure I'll throw in my pink IC.

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"></TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>KiwiBird7 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>12:28 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>MissClarity <NOBR></NOBR>unread</TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (29 of 43) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19483.29 in reply to 19483.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>To think that many S'poreans obediently recited the 'PLEDGE' (ASPIRATION) at 8.22pm on 9 Aug!
ASPIRATION vs IDEOLOGY
LKY's argument is seriously FLAWED because one must first have a ideology (IDEA) set in place before one can aspire (wish upon to achieve).
In the absence of an idea (IDEOLOGY) there is NOTHING to aspire to (wish upon to achieve).

So how can the PLEDGE be just an aspiration in the absence of a firm ideology?
PLEDGE vs WISHLIST(ASPIRATION)
A pledge is a solemn promise or a vow to uphold and achieve. It is ridiculous to make such a solemn promise/vow on a wishlist that is not even based on an ideology.
If the S'pore pledge is not based on solid ideology but merely wishful thinking or aspiration then the SG flag which has 5 stars that represents nothing more than a wish/dream
Then what the hell is NS for? To think that there are many NS diehard supporters out there willing to shed blood and die for something that is nothing more than wishful thinking/aspirations that is not even grounded in a firm recognised ideology.

<HR SIZE=1>Edited 8/20/2009 3:32 am by KiwiBird7</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot> </TD><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been CONNED by Yew again. After 44 years he admit that the National Pledge is just a Asspiration and to think that he proudly claim that he was the one who polished it.
I shudder to think what they will reveal in the next 40 years - maybe they will admit at that time that there is no more money in the treasury.

KNNBACCB, and I have been saying the pledge with gusto and conviction all this years. All those years I have tears in my eyes everytime I say the pledge, now it was all for nothing.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck the lau cheebye. Why don't he outright declare that this is his island and we all must abide by his laws???

The fact that he has come out to address this means that people know the pledge has not be practised. So if this debate heats up, there'll be a lot of trouble.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
wu ya bo??? so patriotic? haha

I have been CONNED by Yew again. After 44 years he admit that the National Pledge is just a Asspiration and to think that he proudly claim that he was the one who polished it.
I shudder to think what they will reveal in the next 40 years - maybe they will admit at that time that there is no more money in the treasury.

KNNBACCB, and I have been saying the pledge with gusto and conviction all this years. All those years I have tears in my eyes everytime I say the pledge, now it was all for nothing.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wayang,wayang and nothing but wayang of course...This Siva bugger is just another chap groomed by PAP...Remember Waltar Woon,Vivian and etc.

Same same lah...

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal

Err, KNN? Made me read such a long piece just on flavouring and sprinkling the pledge :biggrin:

59. First, I believe it would be useful to have a review of all existing major policies and practices to check for significant contradictions with the key tenets of the Pledge – resulting in mixed signals being sent to the ground which in turn could create confusion and disengagement or worse, cynicism.

If they allow his suggestion to go through, it will only mean that they admitting dubious policies have been introduced through the years. It's a good effort, but no surprise that this invited reprisals from the old goat.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore don't have a govt but only a blood-sucking mafia-controlled corporation that sucks the blood,sweat and tears of the citizens !!!

Leonardo6908

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is just an aspiration, nothing more, nothing less.:biggrin:

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the fuck is this senile old bastard talking about?

Fuck him dead! :oIo:

ya, i don't understand what the fuck is all the fuss he is jumping up and down for????

maybe this is a sign of things to come after he fuck off to hell. internal squabbles among the PAP with LHL hiding somewhere and merrily singing NDP songs to himself.

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said on Wednesday the government has been accountable in its actions and has worked towards ensuring that no race is discriminated against in Singapore. He added that what the country has achieved so far is evidence of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking in Parliament — which he seldom does — Mr Lee explained that he did not intend to intervene in the parliamentary debate initially.

But having read what a Nominated Member of Parliament said in Parliament on Tuesday, he decided to speak up.

He said: "I think it was dangerous to allow such highfalutin ideas to go un—demolished and mislead Singapore." Mr Lee took issue with the points the Nominated MP made, without naming the member.

The Nominated MP was Mr Viswa Sadasivan, who had called on Parliament to ensure that national policies be founded on the principles of the National Pledge such as racial and religious unity.

Mr Viswa had made several suggestions such as re—examining the current emphasis on racial categorisation and encouraging political associations to better reflect the tenets of the Pledge.

In fact, Mr Lee highlighted Singapore’s Constitution which provides for the minorities like the Malays.

He said: "We expressly stated in our Constitution, a duty on behalf of the government, not to treat everyone as equal. It’s not reality, it’s not practical. It will lead to grave and irreparable damage if we work on that principle. So, this was an aspiration.

"As Malays progressed and a number joined middle—class with university degrees and professional qualifications, we have asked Mendaki not to have special rights of free education in universities, but take what they were entitled to. Put those fees to help more disadvantaged Malays."

Mr Lee also pointed out that policies introduced have in fact taken into account the needs of the people.

He said: "Our Constitution spells out the duties of the government to treat minorities and Malays with extra care. So the basis on which the Nominated Member has placed his arguments is false and flawed. It’s completely untrue. It has got no basis whatsoever.

"And I thought to myself, ’perhaps I should bring this House back to earth’, and tell us and remind all what’s our starting point, what is our base and if we don’t recognise where we started from and these are our foundations, we’ll fail.

"We’re here today, we have this building, we have all these facilities, and all around us is evidence of our accountability. Without being accountable, we would not have been re—elected and there would have been no Singapore of today."

— CNA/ir

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SINGAPORE: Parliament is debating a motion on the nation—building tenets that have been enshrined in Singapore’s National Pledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Moving the motion, Nominated MP Viswa Sadasivan said he is confident Singapore will succeed if the nation is faithful to the Pledge.

But several MPs disagreed with some points he raised, among them, more public assistance for the needy and that people are hesitant to speak up.

The National Pledge enshrines what Singapore must continue to uphold for its future, said Mr Viswa.

He said: "We must ensure all citizens from young understand it beyond the words. Most importantly, we in Parliament must lead the way by demonstrating that no national policy or Bill will be passed if it goes contrary to the letter or spirit of the Pledge."

But he added that accountability requires the government to do more to address calls for greater democracy and civil liberties.

Sam Tan, Parliamentary Secretary for Information, Communications and the Arts,
said: "I will very much disagree with an allegation that the government takes people for granted. How so?

"Does the government ignore the fact that our population is ageing and needs lifts to their flats. Does the government not fund and ensure that every block will have one?"

Michael Palmer, GPC chairman for Defence and Foreign Affairs, said: "As an elected member of this House, we are always accountable to the people on the ground, in our constituency, to our residents and to Singaporeans as a whole; we are accountable on a daily basis."

Mr Viswa also claimed that there is a climate of fear that prevents people from speaking up.

Mr Palmer said: "In fact, my experience on the ground has shown the opposite. People are not afraid to speak up for what they believe in and against government policies that they disagree with.

"This feedback is received through numerous channels including my email inbox on a daily basis. And it would appear that the younger the generation, the more vociferous they are about their disagreement.

"In fact, what contradicts the climate of fear that Mr Sadasivan has spoken about is that he stands in this House today and is able to express his views openly and freely without fear of reprisal. My disagreement is also a demonstration of the democratic process at work.

"The government’s adherence to the tenets of our Pledge has brought us to where we are today. That said, it is perhaps timely that we reaffirm our commitment to them."

Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Mrs Yu Foo Yee Shoon, rebutted Mr Viswa’s call for more help for those on public assistance. She assured the House there are sufficient help schemes so that no one will go hungry in Singapore.

Debate on the motion continues on Wednesday.