• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lau Lee's grandson is world best debater

exgoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well..

Now we know the reason why the Old Goat is still hanging on...

.. after installing Pinky Lee as the PM.

He is there to ensure the coming of the next Prime Minister Lee.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I first saw the news on Teletext - made no mention of link with LKY or who ShengWu is.

Then i came here - WOW ! Lau Lee's Grandson is the one.

Kani nabu CCB ! Again another outstanding Lee !

Sigh ! Ah Kong must be damn proud .... 1st in Economics Oxford, World Top Debater.......

Heard during the finals of World University Debate:-

Opponent: how can you tell media to show war terrors, how can you tell media what to do - you think your Grandfather's media izzit?

Li Sheng Wu (proudlyshot up) : Of course my grandfather's media lah!
Up-ber-then ?

Judges nod their heads & up their scorecards.
:oIo:

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
This young man may go for his PhD in Economics after his MA in Oxford. Hope he do it in MIT, Chicago or Harvard. Oxford has fallen behind the American universities by a long shot. There is as yet a world renowned economist who is Singaporean. We certainly will be proud of him if he achieve that!

S

sammydaddy

After the disappointing, almost non-existent oratory skills of LHL, the Lee bloodline has finally recompensated and produced a winner. This Shengwu guy potentially combines the legendary oratory skills of his grandfather and the formidable quantitative skills of his uncle. Throw in a heart for public service and a common touch and we would have a winner, I wouldn't even mind a Lee dynasty in this case. But unfortunately (and strangely) he's not a PSC scholar when he very clearly could have been one if he had applied!

Must check whether there is any Temasek Investment behind the award.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
This young man may go for his PhD in Economics after his MA in Oxford. Hope he do it in MIT, Chicago or Harvard. Oxford has fallen behind the American universities by a long shot. There is as yet a world renowned economist who is Singaporean. We certainly will be proud of him if he achieve that!

He better do well since he's the product of 2 world class economist grandfathers. One is a textbook author and the other is Harbringer of Golden Period

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately, the honour of being the best debater is not a good one. It just confirmed that the person has no principle.

In debates, we support or oppose whatever motion that was thrown to us, regardless whether we believe in it or not. Only one with no principle can sell an idea that he/she does not believe in totally with such sincerity and conviction. That is what top-notch lawyers are good in.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, the honour of being the best debater is not a good one. It just confirmed that the person has no principle.

In debates, we support or oppose whatever motion that was thrown to us, regardless whether we believe in it or not. Only one with no principle can sell an idea that he/she does not believe in totally with such sincerity and conviction. That is what top-notch lawyers are good in.

Top lawyers and debaters have the mental flexibility and capacity to wrap their heads quickly and effectively around different points of view and see issues from all sides. That is ABILITY. It's a SKILL. It takes a greater person to see beyond his or her own beliefs and biases to understand other people's points of view. For lawyers, it's a JOB. And whoever confuses a skill set with the person's character, on the other hand, is significantly lacking in mental ability.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAHAHA. of ALL people who could have said that, you are shameless enough to be the one. Let's put you up there and see how you sweat and tremble without anything coherent coming out of your mouth. You can't even write a bloody blog properly without making grammatical errors and you want to LAUGH AT OTHER PEOPLE'S DEBATING SKILLS? Give me a break. And no wonder nobody reads your joke of a blog. People go there only to laugh at it. You're just a keyboard warrior wasting his life away on forums and blogs thinking that he's a politician. I've seen more political acumen from a block of butter. Let's see you get into Cambridge. Let's see you win Best Speaker at an international debate competition. Heck, let's see you even SPEAK.

Don't like that leh. He's aiming to take on MBT (Main Battle Tank) one hor.:cool:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Top lawyers and debaters have the mental flexibility and capacity to wrap their heads quickly and effectively around different points of view and see issues from all sides. That is ABILITY. It's a SKILL. It takes a greater person to see beyond his or her own beliefs and biases to understand other people's points of view. For lawyers, it's a JOB. And whoever confuses a skill set with the person's character, on the other hand, is significantly lacking in mental ability.

Sometimes it is good to be lacking in mental ability because you will not be conned because a conned man is also doing his job - exercising his skill. Displaying his flexibility and capacity to wrap their heads quickly and effectively around different points of view and see issues from all sides - even if he knew that it is wrong and evil.

However, an upright man will not exercise such skill even if he possesses it.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE University of Sydney has out-argued Oxford and Harvard to win the world debating championships.

Sydney's Steve Hind and Chris Croke prevailed in the finals, staged yesterday in Antalya, Turkey.

Oxford, Harvard, and the London School of Economics had also reached the finals. Sydney argued against the proposition "that the media should show the full horror of war".

It was Sydney's fifth victory in the World Universities Debating Championship, said Paul McJannett, chief executive of the University of Sydney Union, a campus service body that began life as a debating society.

"We've won more (championships) than any other university," he said. "We've always had a really good culture around debating at Sydney, it's always been very strong."

He suspected this had something to do with the calibre of the arts and law faculties at the university.

Mr Hind, ranked the No 2 debater in the world, is an arts-law student while Mr Croke, ranked No 5, is studying social science and law. The No 1 debater is Oxford's Shengwu Li.

Sydney's union sent four two-person teams to Antalya.

This year about 240 universities entered the competition, which is based on British parliamentary debating.

Mr McJannett said the union had sent a 15 strong contingent, including adjudicators and a staff member.

The money came from the union's businesses, such as bars and catering, as well as from voluntary student memberships and grants from the university itself.

Funding for extra-curricular pursuits such as debating is in limbo following an abortive attempt last year to reimpose a compulsory levy on students. The Howard Government abolished compulsory student unionism.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
... with a british accent to boot ... heard him on FM93.8

ha ha ha ...

the Lees hate us so they don't want their little darlings to have a singlish accent like us ... after all that argument abt singlish & its harmful effects, they finally decide that little sheng wu shall acquire an accent just like Her Majesty the Queen's ... theres a connection there after all ... he'll be ascending singapore's very own throne in time to come ...

Old Fart - ... and give him an accent that will earn him respect in the international community ... wipe out singlish (wipe out sinkees too, hee hee) ...

Loong/Jinx - *nodded yes father *

Hong Yi - Oy, i thot im the one ascending the throne, no ?

Albino - me too, me too ...

Old Fart - Sheng Wu has potential, and that is final !

Hong Yi - * pouts *

Last edited:
R

redlightmeansgo

Ha ha another great MASTER-de-BATOR!!!

Seems like navel gazing runs in the family

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
in old time, it is consider bad luck to marry a a girl with same surname.... seem like LHY want to try try.... see will suay or not.... but seem like no leh.....

Actually it is quite known in circles that their marriage is on the rocks. Which was why Lee went to Australia for a 'break' after leaving Singtel and before joining F&N.

Heard that they are now alright but I wonder if the old man had anything to do with this.

There was even a rumour that he is gay but for this I do not believe.