• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kidney for sale case - Tang Wee Sung

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tang's newphew in law's trial finally commenced this week

April 30, 2009
Kidney-for-sale case
Witness breaks down in court
By Elena Chong

Wang Chin Sing, 44, who is now under a home release scheme as part of his 14-month sentence, cried when he was reminded of his conviction and that he had almost served his sentence. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

THE man convicted of last year's kidney-for-sale case broke down in court on Thursday while testifying at the abetment trial of a businessman.

Wang Chin Sing, 44, who is now under a home release scheme as part of his 14-month sentence, cried when he was reminded of his conviction and that he had almost served his sentence.

This happened when Deputy Public Prosecutor Chay Yuen Fatt asked if he had any reason to implicate Whang Sung Lin, also 44, as he had already pleaded guilty to the charges and had almost served his jail time.

With tears in his eyes, he said no. He also said had no reason either to shift the blame on Whang.

He had testified that it was Whang who came up with the sum of $300,000 to charge his uncle, Mr Tang Wee Sung, who needed a kidney.

After Whang had passed Wang's mobile number to Mr Tang, the retail magnate contacted Wang who met him at his house.

Wang agreed to source a kidney for Mr Tang, who eventually paid him $125,000. The transaction fell through when the matter was exposed. Mr Tang has since had a kidney transplant.

Wang said after he received the first $50,000 payment from Mr Tang, Whang asked him for an advance of $10,000. He issued him a cheque on May 30 and another similar cheque 11 days later.

The defence case is that the amounts were loans but Wang insisted they were not.

Whang is on trial for intentionally helping in the transaction by introducing Mr Tang to Wang in return for a fee. Mr Tang will be called on Thursday afternoon as the prosecution's last witness.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are handling the 3rd person with kids glove. They are figuring a way for him to siam prosecution, or have an easy sentence ala tang wee sung. this 3rd guy is actually the husband of one of Tang's niece. So, for the PAP, this guy is royalty.

ccb...sic of this type of things! :oIo: MIW

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
But I think wife's side richer lah...plus this chap Whang has a penchant for the lavish lifestyle...quite a nice bloke really but with airy fairy biz ideas and a real big time spendthrift...

You know him? I've known in since primary school days. Last met him at Tang Wee Cheng's wake during the CNY period.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehehehe...small world Bro, I may well have bumped into you at his daddy in law's wake:wink:...I got to know him through his late buddy Lee and Simone...you must be a barker road boy eh?:wink:
You know him? I've known in since primary school days. Last met him at Tang Wee Cheng's wake during the CNY period.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehehehe...small world Bro, I may well have bumped into you at his daddy in law's wake:wink:...I got to know him through his late buddy Lee and Simone...you must be a barker road boy eh?:wink:

Small world, I sort of know Simone too, I believe she studied in Perth Western Australia as I studied there too, I heard Sung Lin mention her name several times before, she married Dr Lee who passed away suddenly at young age some time ago.

Anyway, poor Sung Lin, in high society world this money that he "earned" is pittance, he would be scoffed at by many of his friends.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you are correct about the timing. I had thot that case was settled behind the scenes. But anyway, I believe that after the wayang, Whang will get off with a slap. After all he is elite so lets move on.

Tang's newphew in law's trial finally commenced this week

April 30, 2009
Kidney-for-sale case
Witness breaks down in court
By Elena Chong

Wang Chin Sing, 44, who is now under a home release scheme as part of his 14-month sentence, cried when he was reminded of his conviction and that he had almost served his sentence. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

THE man convicted of last year's kidney-for-sale case broke down in court on Thursday while testifying at the abetment trial of a businessman.

Wang Chin Sing, 44, who is now under a home release scheme as part of his 14-month sentence, cried when he was reminded of his conviction and that he had almost served his sentence.

This happened when Deputy Public Prosecutor Chay Yuen Fatt asked if he had any reason to implicate Whang Sung Lin, also 44, as he had already pleaded guilty to the charges and had almost served his jail time.

With tears in his eyes, he said no. He also said had no reason either to shift the blame on Whang.

He had testified that it was Whang who came up with the sum of $300,000 to charge his uncle, Mr Tang Wee Sung, who needed a kidney.

After Whang had passed Wang's mobile number to Mr Tang, the retail magnate contacted Wang who met him at his house.

Wang agreed to source a kidney for Mr Tang, who eventually paid him $125,000. The transaction fell through when the matter was exposed. Mr Tang has since had a kidney transplant.

Wang said after he received the first $50,000 payment from Mr Tang, Whang asked him for an advance of $10,000. He issued him a cheque on May 30 and another similar cheque 11 days later.

The defence case is that the amounts were loans but Wang insisted they were not.

Whang is on trial for intentionally helping in the transaction by introducing Mr Tang to Wang in return for a fee. Mr Tang will be called on Thursday afternoon as the prosecution's last witness.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
If wife had $$ and his family has $$ then the case makes no sense. Why would Whang even care to borrow a small sum of $20K. Why would he even be interested in the $100K share of blood money? His lawyer should have taken this angle. $500K is peanuts for my client!

The $20K "loan" coming so closely after recommending his uncle and after uncle paid does sounds a lot like a quid pro quo. Something is strange here. Also if I were the middleman and Whang is my good buddy who recommended me his uncle with no desire to profit, I would NOT drag my friend into the mess. At most the middleman, would be truthful and just say that Whang merely recommended his ailing uncle. What advantage is there to drag in a friend?

But if we look from business angle then it is a pretty smart deal for Whang provided not caught. He would have got a life time of good guanxi from Tang (saved his life!!) and yet pocket $100K of easy money. The good guanxi part is even more important.

A very interesting case but I am very sure as super elite class, Whang will get away.

But I think wife's side richer lah...plus this chap Whang has a penchant for the lavish lifestyle...quite a nice bloke really but with airy fairy biz ideas and a real big time spendthrift...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simone's mum is an Ozzie from Perth, her dad is singgie Chinese...her siblings reside over there and her parents spend most of their time in Perth as well...her late hubby was a very close friend of Sung, real sad story there as Simone was pregnant at the time of his death...Sung is very close and protective of Simone and her son Cameron...I am sure Simone must be providing great moral support to both Sung and Phoebe during this difficult time...evidence thus far does not look too good for Sung

Small world, I sort of know Simone too, I believe she studied in Perth Western Australia as I studied there too, I heard Sung Lin mention her name several times before, she married Dr Lee who passed away suddenly at young age some time ago.

Anyway, poor Sung Lin, in high society world this money that he "earned" is pittance, he would be scoffed at by many of his friends.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I think this case shall probably boil down to whether the judge believes Wang's (the convicted organ broker/trader) evidence or Sung's evidence when he eventually takes the stand next week...an interesting question arises as pointed out by you as to why would Wang concoct a story to implicate Sung, what is the motive?...since Wang was already charged and convicted...unless Wang raised this in his mitigation plea (which I understand he did, apparently implicating both Sung and the Doctor) in the hope of getting a lighter sentence??...wonder how Subhas deals with this issue in his submissions...oh another fallout seems to be the old dirty linen of the Tang family is being washed in court again

Retail magnate says he called allegedkidney broker ofhis own accord

Teo Xuanwei

[email protected]

HIS nephew-in-law Whang Sung Lin gave him the number of a friend who could help him find a kidney donor, but Whang did not force him to call, Mr Tang Wee Sung said yesterday.
Mr Tang was making his first public comments since he received a kidney in a legal transplant operation at the National University Hospital in January. The former chief executive of retail giant C K Tang’s was in the witness box in the case against Whang, who is charged with abetting an illegal organ-trading scheme last year.
That deal was discovered by the authorities before Mr Tang could receive the kidney, although he did finally manage to find a legal donor this year.
Visibly weak and moving very slowly with the aid of a nurse, the 56-year-old retail magnate told the court yesterday he did not know if Whang, 44, had asked medical concierge Wang Chin Seng, 44, for kickbacks in return for putting them in touch. He agreed with defence lawyer Subhas Anandan during cross-examination that he had called Wang of his own accord because he was critically ill then and was desperately in need of a kidney transplant.
Mr Tang said he learnt that his kidneys were failing three years ago and had been trying, to no avail, to get a transplant.
Although they had known each other for some 10 years, Mr Tang said he was not close with Whang and his nephew-in-law had never called him until April last year.
On the same day he got Wang’s number from Whang, Mr Tang got in touch with the former and the pair met hours later at Mr Tang’s house. A fee of $300,000 — a figure Wang claimed was suggested by Whang — was agreed for the procurement of a kidney from an Indonesian donor.
The wheels for the kidney-for-sale scheme were set in motion and they began planning how they could get approval from the Transplant Ethics Committee for the operation.
Mr Tang subsequently made two payments totalling $125,000 to Wang but the authorities foiled the deal before the transplant could take place.
At the heart of the trial are two $10,000 cheques Wang made out to Whang on May 30 and June 11. The defence’s case is that these were personal loans and not advance payouts from the $200,000 profit Wang and Whang were to share from the deal.
The court also heard thatMr Tang received a “very strange” phone call from Whang, some time after they had been arrested. Whang had apparently wanted a loan.
According to Mr Tang, Whang said he had tried to borrow money from Wang, who instead offered to give him $100,000. In the conversation, Whang said that was “crazy”, Mr Tang added.
Mr Subhas contended that Whang would never borrow money from Mr Tang “because of past family history”.
Wang is now on home detention as part of his 14-month imprisonment after he was convicted for his role in the scheme. Mr Tang had earlier been fined $7,000 and jailed a day.
The hearing of Whang’s case continues on Monday.

If wife had $$ and his family has $$ then the case makes no sense. Why would Whang even care to borrow a small sum of $20K. Why would he even be interested in the $100K share of blood money? His lawyer should have taken this angle. $500K is peanuts for my client!

The $20K "loan" coming so closely after recommending his uncle and after uncle paid does sounds a lot like a quid pro quo. Something is strange here. Also if I were the middleman and Whang is my good buddy who recommended me his uncle with no desire to profit, I would NOT drag my friend into the mess. At most the middleman, would be truthful and just say that Whang merely recommended his ailing uncle. What advantage is there to drag in a friend?

But if we look from business angle then it is a pretty smart deal for Whang provided not caught. He would have got a life time of good guanxi from Tang (saved his life!!) and yet pocket $100K of easy money. The good guanxi part is even more important.

A very interesting case but I am very sure as super elite class, Whang will get away.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess it is show and tell for Whang next week and that is what he is paying his high priced lawyer for. I have heard of his lawyer before.

To me the point is not just credibility of Wang vs Whang. It is the actions that speak loudest.

That $20K loan smack in the middle of the whole illegal transaction smells (very bad timing at the very least). Unless Whang can show proof that the 2 of them regularly loan each other significant amounts of $$ and at the same time explain why in the world would he need that $20K so urgently it will be a tough sell for the man on the street.

Furthermore, given his family background (someone mentioned he is from a wealthy family) he could easily borrow $20K (pocket change for the wealthy) from his parents, uncle, brother, cousin, friends etc. Not to mention his wife's side of the family. Anyway, I am sure that he must have at least $20K in his bank account or even $20K in his business.

I am interested in his lawyer's approach. If it is a loan then Whang is desperate for money so that is incentive to be in on the deal. If lawyer tries to prove that $100K is insignificant for someone of Whang's status then why the need to borrow money.

Unless lawyer can prove that Wang is returning money that Whang loaned him. This is the best approach.

I believe 100% in Tang's testimony. He has emerged from the Valley of Death, both literally and figuratively and really has nothing to hid.

My interest in the case came about when we saw how quickly our officials were in throwing the poor organ donors into jail. But on the other hand we see the rich and powerful tai chi themselves around the legal system. My believe is that rich will get away again.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
May 4, 2009
Kidney-for-sale case
I didn't want to be involved
By Elena Chong

Whang (left) said on the stand that he and Wang were close friends and their families knew each other. But he was not close to Mr Tang because of some family dispute. He said he knew that Mr Tang was suffering from diabetes and had kidney problems. -- ST PHOTO: ALBERT SIM

A BUSINESSMAN denied that he had hoped to make money from his ailing uncle by introducing a friend to him to get a kidney.

Whang Sung Lin, 44, also denied telling his friend, Wang Chin Sing, 44, to charge then CK Tang executive chairman Tang Wee Sung $300,000 for the organ.

He was defending the charge of having instigated the two men to enter into an arrangement for a kidney-for-sale deal last year. Mr Tang, whose niece is married to Whang, was desperately in need of a kidney transplant at the time as both his kidneys were failing.

Mr Tang, who underwent a kidney transplant earlier this year, and Wang were among four people who have been dealt with. Whang is the fifth to be prosecuted and the only one who has claimed trial.

Wang, who had set up a company to help Indonesian patients source for good healthcare in Singapore, managed to find a suitable kidney donor from Indonesia for Mr Tang, but the plan fell through as the authorities came to know of it.

Whang said on the stand that he and Wang were close friends and their families knew each other. But he was not close to Mr Tang because of some family dispute. He said he knew that Mr Tang was suffering from diabetes and had kidney problems.

When Wang told him in late April that Mr Tang was seriously ill and needed a kidney transplant and sought his help for an introduction, Whang told him he did not want to be involved and was not interested.

Whang said he visited Mr Tang at his home on May 2 and found out how serious his medical condition was. Before he left, he gave Wang's phone number to Mr Tang and told him that his friend could possibly help him as he had helped others before.

To questions from his lawyer Subhas Anandan, he said he neither discussed any sort of fees for introducing Wang to Mr Tang nor intend to make any money from Mr Tang for the introduction. He said Wang told him he was charging Mr Tang $300,000 for the kidney.

He testified that the two $10,000 cash cheques he got from Wang on May 30 and June 10 last year were loans to pay a business supplier and a renovation contractor respectively. He had wanted to borrow $25,000 from Wang, who could only spare him $10,000.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Porfirio Rubirosa - what do you think? Was expecting hard hitting response from defense but. Looks like it is going to be a slap on the wrist as I had predicted.

The man who is on trial for abetting his relative and a friend in a kidney-for-sale case told the court he feels like a fool.

44-year-old Whang Sung Lin, took the stand for a second day in the on-going kidney trading trial involving retail magnate Tang Wee Sung.

Whang is accused of abetting Tang, as well as a middleman, Wang Chin Sing, in procuring a kidney.

Tang and Wang have already been prosecuted for their part in the organ trading scheme.

Whang, who is married to Tang's niece, had previously told the court that he felt sorry for Tang.

It was this that prompted him to introduce Wang, the medical concierge, to Tang.

But he told the court that he feels like a fool who was used by both men.

Defence counsel Subhas Anandan had asked him if he ever instigated the two parties to come to an arrangement.

Whang denied this.

When Mr Subhas asked why he sought the help of Tang to engage a counsel for him,

Whang said he felt it was only right for Tang to help him clarify his involvement in the case since Tang was to be blamed for his predicament.

The defence case has ended and written submissions will be filed by the 26th of May.

Judgement is expected in June.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
think Sung said "tool" not "fool" bro...well on the evidence as reported...it appears to be a 'he said she said' case...not much corroborating nor contemporaneous evidence if any...to me it still all boils down to why Wang should implicate Sung if what Wang alleges is not true...

‘I was used as a tool’
Nephew-in-law of man who bought kidney speaks out

Teo Xuanwei

[email protected]

HAVING seen the “drama unfold” following the organ-for-sale saga involving his uncle-in-law Tang Wee Sung, Whang Sung Lin (picture) told the court he felt that he was “used as a tool by the parties”.
Whang made the claim as the defence wrapped up its case in his abetment trial yesterday.
Whang stands accused of instigating his friend Wang Chin Seng and former C K Tang executive chairman Tang to enter into an illegal kidney trade deal last year. However, throughout his trial, Whang, 44, maintained that he had never suggested to charge his wife’s uncle $300,000 to procure a kidney transplant from an Indonesian donor.
Tang did not get the transplant then as the authorities uncovered the illicit deal, though the 56-year-old retail magnate did get a kidney in January.
Defence lawyer Subhas Anandan also argued that his client never intended to make any money from introducing medical concierge Wang, 44, to the ailing Tang.
Whang, in his police statements, had never made any references to any rewards or favours from Wang, said Mr Subhas.
Regarding the two $10,000 cheques issued to him by Wang, Whang insisted that these were loans he was expected to return, and not, according to the prosecution’s case, advancements on the $100,000 kickback he purportedly stood to receive.
Both sides have until May 26 to file their written submissions. District Judge Sarjit Singh is expected to deliver judgment next month.
Tang, Wang and two Indonesian men have been dealt with. If convicted, Whang faces a fine of up to $10,000 or a prison term of up to a year.
Nephew-in-law of man who bought kidney speaks out

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
May 4, 2009
Kidney-for-sale case
I didn't want to be involved
By Elena Chong

Whang (left) said on the stand that he and Wang were close friends and their families knew each other. But he was not close to Mr Tang because of some family dispute. He said he knew that Mr Tang was suffering from diabetes and had kidney problems. -- ST PHOTO: ALBERT SIM

This part is true, and something I did not understand. The older son Wee Cheng and his family hardly ever spoke to Wee Sung because of some serious family disputes years ago, that ended up in lawsuits against each other. I was therefore very surprised to see that Phoebe's husband is involved in this. I am pretty sure that to this day, keith and Jeffrey did not have anything to do with their uncles after the family business was split up. I think the animosity still exists as only Whang went to see Wee Sung by himself. There is no mention that Phoebe went with him. I don't think Phoebe would set foot in Wee Sung's house. This leaves me to conclude that Whang acted behind Phoebe's back and went to see the Uncle to make some cash from him. I don't think the other siblings would have approved of this effort to save their uncle. If this is the case, Whang is in Phoebe's doghouse. that girl has a temper when she is mad. LOL.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Guess it is show and tell for Whang next week and that is what he is paying his high priced lawyer for. I have heard of his lawyer before.

To me the point is not just credibility of Wang vs Whang. It is the actions that speak loudest.

That $20K loan smack in the middle of the whole illegal transaction smells (very bad timing at the very least). Unless Whang can show proof that the 2 of them regularly loan each other significant amounts of $$ and at the same time explain why in the world would he need that $20K so urgently it will be a tough sell for the man on the street.

Furthermore, given his family background (someone mentioned he is from a wealthy family) he could easily borrow $20K (pocket change for the wealthy) from his parents, uncle, brother, cousin, friends etc. Not to mention his wife's side of the family. Anyway, I am sure that he must have at least $20K in his bank account or even $20K in his business.

I am interested in his lawyer's approach. If it is a loan then Whang is desperate for money so that is incentive to be in on the deal. If lawyer tries to prove that $100K is insignificant for someone of Whang's status then why the need to borrow money.

Unless lawyer can prove that Wang is returning money that Whang loaned him. This is the best approach.

I believe 100% in Tang's testimony. He has emerged from the Valley of Death, both literally and figuratively and really has nothing to hid.

My interest in the case came about when we saw how quickly our officials were in throwing the poor organ donors into jail. But on the other hand we see the rich and powerful tai chi themselves around the legal system. My believe is that rich will get away again.

I don;t really think that Whang is that rich. Who from the wife's side would lend him money? Keith? jeffrey? hardly likely, if you know them. These 2 guys are locked out of their hotel chain in NZ anyway. Why would they be back in S'pore peddling air filtration and air purification units when they have a 10 hotel chain to run in NZ? The lion's share of Wee Cheng's estate went to Keith and Jeffrey, that goes without saying. How much Freda and Phoebe got is definitely not as much as the brothers. If wee Cheng did not leave the daughters much, maybe, the husband is trying to make some extra money on the side. ANyway, just speculation on my part.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah i see you appear to be quite familiar with the Tang family's dirty linen eh...yes Wee Cheng's family on oneside and Wee Sung and Wee Kit on the otherside...unfortunate and sad because old man Tang(CK) was quite the humble and virtuous man...as for Phoebe, well i shall say one thing for her she appears to be a good mum...all her kids are well mannered, respectful and have no airs about them...

This part is true, and something I did not understand. The older son Wee Cheng and his family hardly ever spoke to Wee Sung because of some serious family disputes years ago, that ended up in lawsuits against each other. I was therefore very surprised to see that Phoebe's husband is involved in this. I am pretty sure that to this day, keith and Jeffrey did not have anything to do with their uncles after the family business was split up. I think the animosity still exists as only Whang went to see Wee Sung by himself. There is no mention that Phoebe went with him. I don't think Phoebe would set foot in Wee Sung's house. This leaves me to conclude that Whang acted behind Phoebe's back and went to see the Uncle to make some cash from him. I don't think the other siblings would have approved of this effort to save their uncle. If this is the case, Whang is in Phoebe's doghouse. that girl has a temper when she is mad. LOL.