• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

kampong chicken

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have a farm, or you raise these as pets? You in Oz?

Have a question - I sometimes buy Cornish Hens from the supermarket for barbecue. They are smaller than regular roaster hens but taste exactly like chicken, no different. Wish to know - are they a different species from the domestic chickens or same bird, just slaughtered earlier? When purchased, they're already stripped of feathers, leaving only the flesh, bones and skin, vaccum packed in plastic. I don't see the complete physical form and do not know what it'd look like alive. Any idea? They are labelled Cornish Game Hen or Cornish Hen.

Cheers!

Missed your post.
I am in OZ. i am into fresh food, the kind you cannot get in Singapore.
To me, supermarket chooks are Commercial breeds, perhaps Cornish is a mixed of different breeds. You should google to find out more. Good luck!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
No prob, sbf should not be the focus of our lives, appreciate your reply.

I did a net search shortly ago and Wiki said Cornish Hen is a hybrid - so you're right, it is a commercial breed, or more accurately, a mixture of breeds. I took to it because of its size, not too big (like a broiler), and not too small (like quail), just nice for one person (although I give one breast to me doggie). Cooking time in a charcoal grill is slightly under an hour on the indirect heat side.

Don't know what you're into, but I think these days, almost everything is available in Singapore, maybe not common, but if one is determined enough, high chance it can be found.

Cheers!

Missed your post.
To me, supermarket chooks are Commercial breeds, perhaps Cornish is a mixed of different breeds. You should google to find out more. Good luck!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No prob, sbf should not be the focus of our lives, appreciate your reply.

Don't know what you're into, but I think these days, almost everything is available in Singapore, maybe not common, but if one is determined enough, high chance it can be found.

Cheers!

Basically, when I say fresh food, it is food I either grow myself or from friends' farms.
Singapore has to import food, so it is hard to get fresh food. Fresh meaning sun ripened or where it is properly grown or reared.

Even in OZ, the apples from supermarket can be one year old and contain less nutrients.organic is not always best, it is just niche marketing

Eg I know the farmers, so I know whether my "kampung" chooks are injected hormones. Some of my pork products comes from a German immigrant who spent 8 years getting his smallgoods degree.
My prawns come from a fishernan who owns his trawlers and only sell what he catch.
Soil quality is important to grow veggies that kids who do not like veggies will eat, esp kids visiting from Singapore.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see. You are referring to "Farmer's Market" then. You're right. In Singapore, farming is very small and not on a scale where farmer's can form collectives to sell their products. There are a handful of "organic" hobby farms in the Yio Chu Kang area, and once in a while, I take the family there for the kid to romp around and my wife will pick up some fresh organic veggies. They're very small and a few people do patronise them. Unfortunately, Singapore is land scarce and this is the best the island can offer. The rest have to depend on specialty shops, who are priced quite high. Be happy where you are, home-grown is the best.

Cheers!

Basically, when I say fresh food, it is food I either grow myself or from friends' farms.
Singapore has to import food, so it is hard to get fresh food. Fresh meaning sun ripened or where it is properly grown or reared.

Even in OZ, the apples from supermarket can be one year old and contain less nutrients.organic is not always best, it is just niche marketing

Eg I know the farmers, so I know whether my "kampung" chooks are injected hormones. Some of my pork products comes from a German immigrant who spent 8 years getting his smallgoods degree.
My prawns come from a fishernan who owns his trawlers and only sell what he catch.
Soil quality is important to grow veggies that kids who do not like veggies will eat, esp kids visiting from Singapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... and there are many Sinkees who want to find the meaning of living? :biggrin:

but coward enough not to leave a name behind after leaving a nasty remark on me.

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
... and there are many Sinkees who want to find the meaning of living? :biggrin:

but coward enough not to leave a name behind after leaving a nasty remark on me.

is it something like this?
Narong Wongwan.jpg

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get them as well, though there are no more points deduction nowadays. Just amazes me why people do that all the time.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Missed your post.

you BBQ the quokkas as well?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this page only show a small number.still got some more

You have a lot of admirers who bother to write to you. :biggrin:
Your influence level must be very high that they write such things.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have a lot of admirers who bother to write to you. :biggrin:
Your influence level must be very high that they write such things.

you are wrong lah.
it all came from the same sicko teeko guy who smell serina wee chair