• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Josie Minus her Pussycats Tonight 10pm on CNA interview with Balji & Debbie Soon

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
but such a big hooha over a change of exco in aware? are people upset that the new ex co will not be up to the task or that the new aware will not be pushing the gay agenda?

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, we might see a sudden large influx of Christian women members at the EOGM. Would that constitute evidence that the evangelical Church is involved in supporting the new exco?
A sudden influx of Christian women from SOOC cannot be used as circumspect evidence that AWARE is being hijacked by Christian people. Christian women are after all still women.

What must be proven, is that these Christian women have the motives and intentions to inject Christian thinking and logic into AWARE's considerations. Because AWARE fights for women from all religions, on all fronts, it cannot let Christian thoughts dominate evaluations and policies.

That is the real battle the old guard has. Through intensive questioning during the EOGM, in front of the supposed 160 turnout and the public media, must prove the above. It is not about keeping Christian women out, it is about making sure other perspectives are represented fairly in the ExCo.

It'll be fun to attend the EOGM though, anybody has any intentions of attending?

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
but such a big hooha over a change of exco in aware? are people upset that the new ex co will not be up to the task or that the new aware will not be pushing the gay agenda?
LonewolfAlfa,

People are not angry that the new exco will not be up to the task, or that GLBTQ equality development will regress. Those are currently as yet, unproven, and I believe shall remain unproven for some time to come.

The real reasons why people are in an uproar are :

1) the way the new ExCo grabbed power.
2) their reluctance to disclose their agenda.
3) the fact that key members seemed to be linked together through SOCC, yet blatantly denied.
5) most importantly, it's a public cat fight, and there's no better drama than real life drama. :smile: Sad, but true.

Last edited:

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cheek of her to say that the new exco do not know each other. So coincidentally, of all the churches in Singapore, a whole bunch of them attend the same church but yet not know each other's existence and all got voted into AWARE?

Does Ms Josie take us for fools?

Unfortunately, yes, Josie & bully Christian fundamentalists do take the rest of the non-believers as fools!

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might get fanatical members from New Creation Church of Joseph Prince & its other partner in crime church whatever its name the one where the pastor's wife is a singer with horsey face. Like that sure die liao for AWARE diversity program, it might turn out that way. A rallying call to evangelicals to attend in full force.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope the two hosts can drill her deep and paintful. She and her teams were very cocky. The executive committee members should, by right, make up of different women of diversified backgrounds, races and religions. Unfortunately we witnessed all of them came from the same church and same idealogy which is not representative of the whole AWARE and Singapore women, she even called in her husband to help. Shit man!!!

That would be a sad day if AWARE becomes only a mouthpiece for Focus On The Family organisation and not for anything else.

Even as a Christian, I find the lack of a different range of views in the new exco particularly disturbing. They are roughshodding other people into submission- and giving the religion a very bad name. AWARE shouldn't become like that.

Last edited:

TheBonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
A3-1-ST.jpg

I'm an "elite". You "lesser mortals" should know your place and stop talking cock!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
That would be a sad day if AWARE becomes only a mouthpiece for Focus On The Family organisation and not for anything else.

Even as a Christian, I find the lack of a different range of views in the new exco particularly disturbing. They are roughshodding other people into submission- and giving the religion a very bad name. AWARE shouldn't become like that.

Aren't you too quick to judge? These ladies have not said or done anything against other religions.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

it might be some related matters linking LESBIANS. josie & husb frown upon "homosexuality". what the husb actually referred to was LESBIANISM which could be rampant in such an organisation.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't you too quick to judge? These ladies have not said or done anything against other religions.
And we are not going to wait till they start saying or doing something against other religions, then we step in. That will be the day where the very real danger of a Christian Singapore materializes, and it will be too late.

rodent2005, the founding fathers of the U.S drafted the Constitution explicitly to state that religion should be separate from state. Religion, especially Christianity and Islam, is a belief system that governs almost all trains of thoughts, with very little room for manoeuvring.

The new ExCo, when push comes to shove, will have to condemn issues such as abortion, homosexual behavior, etc - simply because that is their belief system! And if they do otherwise, they risk alienating their own Christian fellowship (not to mention reducing their chances to get to heaven).

Unless they explicitly comes out and say "We will weigh all matters without the prejudice of religion.", then it might be reassuring (slightly). However the facts still stand that religion may hold a strong sway in their subconscious, and that the ExCo is predominantly Christian.

According to the 2000 Census, about 15% of Singaporeans are Christians, with Buddhism far leading at about 43%. Unless there have been major changes, don't you think that the ExCo's predominant Christian group make-up is abit worrying for an organization that claims to stand for all women? And don't you discount atheists too, who is (according to the 2000 Census), on par with Christians as a demographic.

Thus, the burning questions still exist:

1) How far will your religion influence the decisions you make while being an ExCo member of AWARE?
2) Do you not think the inclusion of other religions and races in the ExCo make-up will help present more alternatives PoVs, thus leading you all to make better decisions?
3) Why the need to rely on new members to get yourself elected? If your views really has their merits, do you not think the old members will listen to them? Or is it because you have no confidence in your own views, that is why you have to stage this putsch?

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Side snippet on ex President Claire (who quickly jumped ship) and Hubby

Monday, February 16, 2009

Surprise help for couples on the brink
Legal couple reject divorce cases, offer counselling for free

Neo Chai Chin

[email protected]

AT A time when the divorce rate in Singapore is rising, one law-trained couple is steadfastly saying no to the steady stream of business from failed marriages.
Boaz and Claire Nazar do not, on principle, handle break-up cases — they choose instead to counsel troubled couples for free. It is a stance the couple has kept to for about 13 years — which is about how long they have been married. But Mr Nazar did not start off his career this way. When he began practising law in 1994, he joined a firm that did “a lot of matrimonial work” and handled about 60 divorce cases in the next two-and-a-half years.
The 42-year-old then had a “renewal of faith” and became convinced that “divorce was not part of the solution”. He now hands divorce cases to other lawyers at his firm.
“I know many lawyers handling divorce cases who perform a valuable service and make the process as smooth for their clients as possible,” said Mr Nazar. “But through the years, I felt that most marriages can be saved.” Especially those, he said, where couples have differing expectations of each other.
There were 7,226 divorces and marriage annulments in Singapore last year. And family law, which includes divorce, can make up one-fifth of a medium-sized firm’s practice. Some sole proprietors “focus purely on family law”, the Nazars said. But income lost from potential clients was never an issue for Mrs Nazar, who said “no” to divorce cases from the start.
“I made sure my employer respected my decision not to handle divorce. And the partners knew that if a couple wanted counselling, they could refer them to me,” said the 37-year-old, who practised for eight years before becoming a legal counsel last year.
Each case costs $3,000 to $4,000 on average, which is “not big money” for firms. “The law firms I’ve been with have been quite happy to see couples back together.”
Although unhappy spouses who visit a lawyer often have made up their minds, the Nazars have seen some happy outcomes.
In one case, the husband had served his wife with divorce papers after a year of separation. Working long hours, they became estranged after the woman developed feelings for another man at the night classes she was attending. But they decided to give their marriage another go, and during counselling, it surfaced that the wife had been looking elsewhere for companionship out of sheer loneliness. The couple patched things up and now have a second child, said Mrs Nazar.
Troubled couples are sometimes surprised the Nazars are willing to counsel them. “One guy kept asking me each time we met: ‘Why do you keep doing this?’” said Mr Nazar. “One of the happiest things for us is when couples say ‘These guys are serious, maybe we should give it a shot’.”
These days, the Nazars also conduct marriage education courses to reach out to couples before serious cracks appear. A first-hand experience in 2000 with one such programme, the Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Programme, had vastly improved the lines of communication between them.
“And she found out I was right most of the time,” quipped Mr Nazar.
Legal couple reject divorce cases, offer counselling for free

Neo Chai Chin

[email protected]

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
KKC007,

In terms of branding and public perception, AWARE *is* the leading organization championing women's causes. You don't need to have all 2+ million ladies registered under you to stand for women's rights. Especially in Singapore, a 600-strong membership is a very respectable number for an organization.

Most organizations' AGM and elections are just a formality - the vote getting and PR are done throughout the rest of the year with the other members - they also understand that without the support from the regular members, they can't get things done. Which is exactly why Josie & Co. can stage this putsch, and which is also why they are panicking over the backlash.

I am aware that AWARE is the leading organization championing women's causes. My question pertains to whether they really represent the women of Singapore.To quote Mae Lynn Tan, "One cannot help but suspect they may have operated like an elitist 'old girls' club."

600 strong membership is after the current surge in members. 40 members attend AGM to elect a 12 member Ex-Co. It does look like an elitist "old girls club" to me.

BTW, it appears you signed up today to defend aware in sammyboy. Are you one of the "old guards"?

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am aware that AWARE is the leading organization championing women's causes. My question pertains to whether they really represent the women of Singapore.To quote Mae Lynn Tan, "One cannot help but suspect they may have operated like an elitist 'old girls' club."

600 strong membership is after the current surge in members. 40 members attend AGM to elect a 12 member Ex-Co. It does look like an elitist "old girls club" to me.

BTW, it appears you signed up today to defend aware in sammyboy. Are you one of the "old guards"?

So replace an old girls elite club with a women christian fundamentalist clique? Give me the elitist club anytime.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal

For an organization with the tagline "Gender equality for all", I don't think AWARE will ever represent truly all women of Singapore. Not unless their ExCo numbers swell to 2 million+ :wink:. Every woman, after all, is unique. However, as SneeringTree has said, "Give me the elitist club anytime.".

Dear me! oh no no, i did sign up to participate in this topic, but in no way am I related to anybody from AWARE at all (at least not to my knowledge). This is just the first topic that piqued my interest, and wanted to engage in discussion about it. I'm quite sure the forum shall suffer further, as I engage in other topics.

I sincerely hope my avatar photo proves otherwise that I'm NOT one of the 'old guards'. And if you beg to differ, I shall have to start saving up for some plastic surgery. Besides, if I'm an 'old guard', why would I be here, instead of canvassing support in a more female-dominated forum?

Last edited:

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously...what is the big hoo-haa on this matter?
Does that really affect Singapore Economy or Progress???

The impact of whoever in-charge is really small.

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal

All great revolutions start with a single, small idea. Where do you draw the line on political usurpation by religious elements? Or any other elements for that matter?

It's not the impact AWARE has on the economy or progress (your first-caps on those two words are hilarious to me for some reason), it's the idea of a religion controlled Singapore that is so frightening.

And to AWARE's credit, they do have some social impact and clout on the advancement of women's rights in Singapore.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
All great revolutions start with a single, small idea. Where do you draw the line on political usurpation by religious elements? Or any other elements for that matter?

It's not the impact AWARE has on the economy or progress (your first-caps on those two words are hilarious to me for some reason), it's the idea of a religion controlled Singapore that is so frightening.

And to AWARE's credit, they do have some social impact and clout on the advancement of women's rights in Singapore.

Well put. I actually think that these elements have already been infiltrated. Just ask around how many government/civil service offices have their own little cell groups. Just see how quickly like minded people write to the press not because they are interested in the issue nor, indeed, understood the issue; but because they perceive one of their kind has been attacked.

Singapore is going to the dumps.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

couldn't agree more..

bet many are not even aware of 'AWARE", until this issue pop up..

dun think AWARE is anything important or powerful.. just enjoying the bitch-fight from the sidelines.:biggrin:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
So replace an old girls elite club with a women christian fundamentalist clique? Give me the elitist club anytime.

Gays should create their own clubs and not take issue with a women's club that supposedly support their type of fornicating and lifestyle.

Shameless gays truly showing their pappy colours. For goodness get over AWARAE. It's a women's club. Do gays want to be women too.

Thesegays are only good for screwing people's backside both figuratively and literally. They only know how to support their kind. At least Christians reach out and are more open to other races but gays only know how to support themselves and screw others.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gays should create their own clubs and not take issue with a women's club that supposedly support their type of fornicating and lifestyle.

Shameless gays truly showing their pappy colours. For goodness get over AWARAE. It's a women's club. Do gays want to be women too.

Thesegays are only good for screwing people's backside both figuratively and literally. They only know how to support their kind. At least Christians reach out and are more open to other races but gays only know how to support themselves and screw others.

AWARE was NEVER about gay issues. Don't make it seem as though it is a GAY vs STRAIGHT issue.