• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB/SG Crimewatch

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...you are as likely to get hit when your car breaks down on the CTE or travelling on buses here.....so beware, be thankful you manage to live up to 60...or you might choke by the haze.....run for your life.

At his age, he could oso be next on dengue death list...

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
They may not have world class policeman but at least they have world class women

Malaysian crowned Mrs Universe

image.jpg
PETALING JAYA: Reigning Mrs Malaysia Universe Carol Lee made history when she was crowned Mrs Universe 2013, becoming the first Asian to win the international pageant.

Lee, 39, secured the crown in the finals on Sunday at The Westin Aruba Resort in Palm Beach, the Caribbean.

The news presenter and former talk show host beat 32 contestants worldwide to clinch the title, along with the Mrs Popularity subsidiary title.

Lee garnered 88,649 votes in the online fan votes contest, narrowly beating Mrs USA Amanda Grad who got 88,556 votes.

She spent 10 months preparing physically and mentally for the competition.

Besides being an avid public speaker and emcee, Lee runs Starz Studio, a child development and learning centre.

Before this, the closest a Malaysian had come to being crowned Mrs Universe was last year, when Chin Kim Lu received the Photogenic Award.

Mrs Universe is a recognition of “the most honourable married woman”, and is awarded to women aged between 25 and 45, taking into account family and career as well as involvement in a significant cause in favour of others.

The annual event spans seven to 10 days, with the common theme “Against Violence”, which in different years cover different causes.

The theme for this year’s pageant was “Stop Domestic Violence”, which fited into Lee’s participation in nationwide campaigns to assist non-governmental organisations fight domestic violence against women.

Lee’s clothes for the pageant were by Malay-sian designer Carven Ong, the Asian Top Designer of the Year 2009.

One notable creation he did for Lee was a national attire with a large hibiscus on her shoulder.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
My goodness the level of violent crime seems to be happening unabated.. the police doesn't seem to have any response to this level of criminal activity.

I think the law to allow detention without trial is useful regardless the human right violation.. the alternative is just too scary.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL! This is why I fall in love with Malaysia. Only available in Malaysia.

Of course he did lost it "while he asleep" (sold it). Now you know where they get their weapon from.

he lost his "wife"...:biggrin:. Maybe need to issue them M4 carbine..so they can hug it. titter.gif

Last edited:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
My goodness the level of violent crime seems to be happening unabated.. the police doesn't seem to have any response to this level of criminal activity.

I think the law to allow detention without trial is useful regardless the human right violation.. the alternative is just too scary.

Too date the police has not been able to solve any of the many killings despite so many witnesses snd cctv Either sheer incompetence or they lose interest cos no Kopi money to take.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Raya, talk was all about crime

TALK about fatal shootings and exploding devices that killed a school clerk came up at a Hari Raya gathering at my house. While the usual comments about traffic snarls on the highways, robberies, break-ins, horrific accidents, injuries to children caused by firecrackers did not disappear, this new concern of the public raises difficult questions.

Are these ominous signs of things to come? Why are illegal firearms available so easily? Can the authorities overcome these hired or professional killers? And what can the public do to ensure their own security under the circumstances?

So, in between munching ketupat, rendang and cookies, the guests threw these questions at me, sincerely hopeful that an ex-military man would be able to shed some light on such happenings, which they have little understanding of and feel apprehensive about.

I didn't want to speculate on the first, what with the hundreds of detainees of dubious character and disposition released into society during the last two years after the repeal of the Emergency Ordinance (EO) and other preventive laws.

It does not take much imagination to think that a fraction (which is many enough) of them would have gone back to their old ways, taking revenge on their nemesis, or getting hired to execute some murderous job for monetary gain.

I had to be candid in my answer to the second question. The whole world is flush with firearms and a government can only reduce the number of these from getting into the country through stricter checks at the borders or other control measures within. You can never wipe it out. What can and must be reduced are the number of persons willing and able to use these against others.

But I remain confident and expressed my belief that the police would eventually get on top of the present situation.

I am not just being supportive but am convinced that such an established and experienced organisation will somehow be able to tackle such a challenge if they are persistent enough.

And history has shown that when it comes to persistence, our police force and other security agencies in support have enough to show.

But I was honestly at a loss to say much about what the public could do to improve its own security against gunmen and armed assailants. When criminals try to rob or mug, you can try your utmost to flee or to surrender everything that you have to avoid being battered.

But how do you avoid becoming a victim of professional gunmen and killers without turning your home into an impregnable fortress, moving around in armoured vehicles and having an army of bodyguards to protect you?

Not many would even like to have or can afford all of these. It, therefore, rests on the police, together with the support of the public, to be at the vanguard in providing security and to prevent and apprehend the assailants and killers.

For them to succeed, they have to have a more effective intelligence organisation to detect, track and apprehend the would-be killers and perpetrators. Then, they must have the legal powers of prevention.

The public may not want the EO or the Internal Security Act back but laws that can give the police almost the same powers and capabilities must be promulgated to enable them to be effective at this.

More surveillance capabilities must be available, including installation of closed-circuit television (CCTVs) cameras to improve their monitoring and detecting capabilities, which have been proven to provide that measure of deterrence in many other countries.

Given what is presently available, one cannot blame the average law-abiding citizen for feeling concerned if not fearful. But nothing is really lost yet and especially when the situation has got the attention of the prime minister, who has promised better action, and, when the police themselves have started to get even more determined to tackle the developing menace.

But my relief is that these shootings and explosions did not occur in the midst of the street demonstrations and mass rallies held by the opposition leaders after the general election. If it had, then the disastrous scenarios that many security personnel were worried about as a consequence would have played out.

Situations that would not have made this Hari Raya as pleasant and enjoyable as it was. A period when shopping in preparation for it need certainly not include getting a bulletproof vest as someone sarcastically suggested.

Police officers at the scene of a bomb blast that killed a school clerk in Taman Sero Periuk, Tumpat, Kelantan.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good concern. Lets wait n see for any M'sia politician being shoot dead or any Sg in Iskanda "kana". That will be real storm in either M'sia n S'pore. I do mention M'sia is the cowboy country early n it has come true. There will be more cowboy from over the the world to join for such excitement which will made M'sia be the top n best cowboy country in the world. M'SIA buleh!!!!:oIo:

It's a difficult situation.. how come all these shootings are surfacing up seemingly only after the elections.. the news before the elections seemed to be pretty muted.. Don't tell me the criminals were out there joining in the rallies.

terencetan1981

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Raya, talk was all about crime

TALK about fatal shootings and exploding devices that killed a school clerk came up at a Hari Raya gathering at my house. While the usual comments about traffic snarls on the highways, robberies, break-ins, horrific accidents, injuries to children caused by firecrackers did not disappear, this new concern of the public raises difficult questions.

Are these ominous signs of things to come? Why are illegal firearms available so easily? Can the authorities overcome these hired or professional killers? And what can the public do to ensure their own security under the circumstances?

So, in between munching ketupat, rendang and cookies, the guests threw these questions at me, sincerely hopeful that an ex-military man would be able to shed some light on such happenings, which they have little understanding of and feel apprehensive about.

I didn't want to speculate on the first, what with the hundreds of detainees of dubious character and disposition released into society during the last two years after the repeal of the Emergency Ordinance (EO) and other preventive laws.

It does not take much imagination to think that a fraction (which is many enough) of them would have gone back to their old ways, taking revenge on their nemesis, or getting hired to execute some murderous job for monetary gain.

I had to be candid in my answer to the second question. The whole world is flush with firearms and a government can only reduce the number of these from getting into the country through stricter checks at the borders or other control measures within. You can never wipe it out. What can and must be reduced are the number of persons willing and able to use these against others.

But I remain confident and expressed my belief that the police would eventually get on top of the present situation.

I am not just being supportive but am convinced that such an established and experienced organisation will somehow be able to tackle such a challenge if they are persistent enough.

And history has shown that when it comes to persistence, our police force and other security agencies in support have enough to show.

But I was honestly at a loss to say much about what the public could do to improve its own security against gunmen and armed assailants. When criminals try to rob or mug, you can try your utmost to flee or to surrender everything that you have to avoid being battered.

But how do you avoid becoming a victim of professional gunmen and killers without turning your home into an impregnable fortress, moving around in armoured vehicles and having an army of bodyguards to protect you?

Not many would even like to have or can afford all of these. It, therefore, rests on the police, together with the support of the public, to be at the vanguard in providing security and to prevent and apprehend the assailants and killers.

For them to succeed, they have to have a more effective intelligence organisation to detect, track and apprehend the would-be killers and perpetrators. Then, they must have the legal powers of prevention.

The public may not want the EO or the Internal Security Act back but laws that can give the police almost the same powers and capabilities must be promulgated to enable them to be effective at this.

More surveillance capabilities must be available, including installation of closed-circuit television (CCTVs) cameras to improve their monitoring and detecting capabilities, which have been proven to provide that measure of deterrence in many other countries.

Given what is presently available, one cannot blame the average law-abiding citizen for feeling concerned if not fearful. But nothing is really lost yet and especially when the situation has got the attention of the prime minister, who has promised better action, and, when the police themselves have started to get even more determined to tackle the developing menace.

But my relief is that these shootings and explosions did not occur in the midst of the street demonstrations and mass rallies held by the opposition leaders after the general election. If it had, then the disastrous scenarios that many security personnel were worried about as a consequence would have played out.

Situations that would not have made this Hari Raya as pleasant and enjoyable as it was. A period when shopping in preparation for it need certainly not include getting a bulletproof vest as someone sarcastically suggested.

Police officers at the scene of a bomb blast that killed a school clerk in Taman Sero Periuk, Tumpat, Kelantan.

My Mom once told me if a loving mother condoned the child behavior, he grows up not knowing the skill of discerning.
It's a blessing for those who see things with a clear mind.
probably while Malaysian are deeply troubled by the facts on the street, deep down the faint hope of a good government like Singapore burning still.
Would that happen? it's time to ask mother if she had love you too much..

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
[SIZE=5[B][/B]]Gangster contractors[/SIZE]

Runners for the ‘in-house’ contractor manning their counter near the elevator entrance of a newly completed apartment project in Penang.
GEORGE TOWN: Contractors, some with links to triads, are forcing buyers of high-rise property here to carry out renovation works.
image.jpg

Many of them charge a premium, sometimes up to 20% more than normal contractors.

If the buyers insist on hiring contractors from outside, they are compelled into buying materials such as sand, bricks, cement and steel cages.

Alternatively, the buyers can pay a “settlement” to bring in outside contractors.

Most buyers dare not lodge complaints with the police for fear of retaliation from triad members.

With developers turning a blind eye to the issue, the so-called “in-house” contractors have become more brazen in intimidating buyers.

Although such practices could be traced back to the 1990s, the mushrooming of condominium projects in Penang has made matters worse.

It has been estimated that more than RM10bil worth of projects had been undertaken on the island over the past 18 months.

During a check by The Star at several newly completed apartment blocks in Relau, a man was seen manning a makeshift counter near the lifts.

He said his “company” was selling sand, bricks, cement and steel cages, and providing other services such as hacking and electrical wiring.

When told that the unit owner wanted to bring in his own contractor to carry out tiling works, the stern-looking man said: “You can still buy the steel cages or other materials from us. We will handle your waste as well.”

Another in-house contractor, who declined to be named, claimed that he could offer better prices for construction materials.

“We get bulk discounts from suppliers. If we buy 100 steel cages and you buy only one, who will get a better price?

“Besides, we also know the unit layout better than anyone else. We know where the electrical wiring is hidden in the wall. We also know where to hack inside the house,” he said.

Ideal Property Development Sdn Bhd managing director Datuk Alex Ooi said his group had encountered numerous cases of such triad activities in its projects in the South-West district over the past few years.

“This is because the district is a hot spot for the development of reasonably priced properties.

“Whenever we have such problems, the police are very quick to come in to arrest the culprits.

“We have also tightened the security for our projects in the district and this has reduced such incidents,” he added.

SP Setia Bhd property (North) general manager Khoo Teck Chong said the group’s projects in the South-West district had never faced such problems because of its tight security system.

Penang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Abdul Rahim Hanafi urged unit owners to lodge reports or call the police hotline at 04-269 1999.

“We do not condone such actions. We need unit owners to provide us with information so that we can act.

“Everyone has the right to choose their own contractors or material suppliers,” he said.

DCP Rahim gave his assurance that the identity of whistle-blowers or affected victims would be protected.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Er....you forgot about Mas Selamat? Thanks to the Malaysian police, they caught him, perhaps its they who did the excellent job. Likewise the Killer Mata in Kovan case recently, who caught him?

To be frank, I do not doubt the technical abilities of the PDRM. I recall the good ole days when they freely engaged in gun battles with criminals that always ended up with the criminals being gunned down. The standard statement given after that is that the criminals opened fire first and the officers returned fire killing the lot. The public was happy since these were gun-toting people and being gun-toting they're criminals, and the police were happy to since no paper work to prosecute. Then came the human rights crusaders who objected to all this wanton use of fire power and unlawful detentions etc. and the rest is history... Singapore still has the Criminal Proceeding (Temp Provisions) Act which is similar to the recently abolished EO in M'sia, and of course the ISA.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Y are well protect by modulator as my posting being take off. I guess y n dare 2 n modulator is one. No point to waste my precious time here as any cursing y did will hit back to you as univere law.

My apology, NB. Dont meant to curse u. No hard feelings ya.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then came the human rights crusaders who objected to all this wanton use of fire power and unlawful detentions etc. and the rest is history... Singapore still has the Criminal Proceeding (Temp Provisions) Act which is similar to the recently abolished EO in M'sia, and of course the ISA.

Those hardcore criminals have S Ambiga to thank for.:rolleyes:

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really disappointed and sad about the crime thingy in Malaysia.
I have stop driving up to KL and now take coach or budget flight to KL, then rent car all becuase of the smash and grap stories we hear on the web and relatives there.
The recent shootings has even scared my Singapore relatives to put on hold their invest in properties in Iskandar and KL.

The problem is really multiple source. Really hope the authorities will work harder to get things under control. Improving the police force is just one measure but there need to be a social solution as well if the crime rate is to be reduce significantly.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had always advocated that staying in JB with towing kids in Sinkie schools is a heavy burden and stress for them. In the long term, this will affect their academic performance and health due to lack of rest and sleep 5 days a week.

Until there's a big improvement in the customs clearance at both ends, a 3rd link and hopefully with the MRT linkage to JB, otherwise, this situation is just going to get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the frank assessment.. too much unrealistic news that's skewing the impression that living in Johor is a piece of cake.. with the increase in the number of commuters the traffic situation is likely to get worse before it gets better.. I look at the numerous mega condos each with greater then 1000 units.. you can only imagine the level of traffic if the infrastructure don't keep up.

Last edited by a moderator:

terencetan1981

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those hardcore criminals have S Ambiga to thank for.:rolleyes:

Wow.. Ambiga has the power to cause this hardcore criminal, it must be from the brain of the Utusan Melayu. :kma:

Malaysia and Singapore both inherited the solid system down from British, and why are both countries heads off diff directions? It's the system, execution, discipline and standard. In Chinese Idiom, the saying goes 'If the leader is corrupted, the follower cant take it seriously'
im a staunch believer for LKY regime for Malaysia. If LKY goes in to Malaysia he'll bulldozer through the Parliament, pull out the corrupted weed, clear the non-performing public servant from the street, Set new standard for safe and healthy living and investment and job opportunity start pouring in.

Of course by that time he does not have the reason to say his tiny dot is no resources and he has to keep marginalize his countryman for invited expat.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this keep going on, who want to visit MY anymore? Who will invest in MY ? Thinking whether to sell everything in MY and go back sg!!

So sad:( ..... Sg so ex, MY so bad!!!:(

There's an increase in crime not only in MY but also SG. Even in SG there's an increase in HDB as well as private estates. There are 'crime alerts' signs everywhere. The recent Kovan mrder is not something any of us would have imagiend could happen in SG and by a cop but its happened.I think the lesson to take away from this is that we should all just be more careful.I feel that the world is now a different place from 10 years ago.