• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Jamus Lim plays the idiotic minimum wage card

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
in the bay area, janitors, cleaners, landscapers for private business facilities before minimum wage policies became law were usually contracted from several large service contract firms. they were mostly "undocumented" with sanctuary status given to them by the state, county, and city. these contract firms make tons of money paying them low hourly wages while earning top dollars from private corporations and businesses. undocumented workers didn't receive w2 forms, didn't pay taxes, didn't receive benefits, were not subjected to state labor laws, thus getting cash or checks at $6.9 an hour was win-win for both contractors and workers. with minimum wage laws in effect, this underground economy (and wage system) is still happening. only in the pubic sector do employers adhere to minimum wage religiously. and in the pubic sector, workers are unionized, and they hardly get fired or laid off. with overtime pay, they can make as much as a tech worker in the valley. no wonder state tax, and county/city/local parcel taxes keep going up. meanwhile in the private sector, the demand for "cheap" undocumented labor keeps going up, minimum wage or pandamic notwithstanding. and the going underground rate is still $6.9 an hour. may go down as more homeless and jobless competes with the illegals. it doesn't apply to large corporations and tech companies as they pay well above minimum wage to get the best workers.

Deleted

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I pay my workers minimum wage. $15/hr x 1.1 after vacation pay and EI and what not.

But they are all students.

It is hard to make a profit. I can understand why minimum wage is tough on businesses.

But hey......you know what? The Door dash takes 25% of the sale! And pays the delivery guy minimum wage too.

And the credit card machine company takes a cut.

And the landlord the rent.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. End up the business owner gets nothing (this is true)

After 4 years I am done with the bubble tea shop.

Don't do this type of business. No point. Best to be landlord (commercial). Commercial landlord can ask for the owner to indemnify the company meaning they personal guarantee the rent for the period.
in californicate, all levels of government from state, county, city penalize small biz the worst. no mask, $3000 fine. not 6.9 feet apart, $6.9k fine. tables not sanitized, $10k fine. unauthorized customer access into shop, $36.9k fine. if one is illegal, homeless, blm protestor, they leave himher alone.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I pay my workers minimum wage. $15/hr x 1.1 after vacation pay and EI and what not.

But they are all students.

It is hard to make a profit. I can understand why minimum wage is tough on businesses.

But hey......you know what? The Door dash takes 25% of the sale! And pays the delivery guy minimum wage too.

And the credit card machine company takes a cut.

And the landlord the rent.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. End up the business owner gets nothing (this is true)

After 4 years I am done with the bubble tea shop.

Don't do this type of business. No point. Best to be landlord (commercial). Commercial landlord can ask for the owner to indemnify the company meaning they personal guarantee the rent for the period.
No choice. Your bubber tea shop is competing for space with sleazy massage parlours, hair dress sirs, tiu shen centers, luxury boo ticks and other high margin profitable biznes in the mall. Capitalism, ho! :thumbsup:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
People who want minimum wage are the imbeciles who never own a business or travel to Europe before. Min wage did a good job fucking over most businesses and making everything ridiculously overpriced.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
People who want minimum wage are the imbeciles who never own a business or travel to Europe before. Min wage did a good job fucking over most businesses and making everything ridiculously overpriced.
But not rising rents and cut throat competition? Sound like is you the fool never run a biz nest in stead. :rolleyes:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
This server analogy is flawed.

because in the first fucking place the servers ARE NOT earning the minimum wage! They make tips. Lots of it. Many don't even declare tax on the tips.

How much of the workforce do servers represent?

What about janitors? General Laborers? Fast food workers? Factory workers? Assembly line workers? Landscapers?

All those workers who DID earn minimum wage at $9+ an hour with NO TIPS? What about them?

Sure many companies will close with the hike in wages. Some will survive. Some will consolidate. If your model for business is so thin that to survive you need to pay your workers below the minimum wage, then I say time to close the business. As many rightly did.

You don't want a slave mentality in society.
The main issue is the rise in minimum wage does not solve the poverty problem. Poverty has increased because the working class face the triple whammy of 1. Inflation (increase demand for basic necessities, food, housing medical care) , 2 increase taxes (because they have less avenues to get tax deductions unlike the rich), 3. Increase competition for jobs. Due to open door immigration policies.

All this is due to policies favouring the rich and the rich want all these tax breaks and decrease labour regulation. That is why the working class is paying the price. And why is this happening?? Because the rich and oligarchs control the government. And that is the issue that needs to be addressed....U talk about Janitors etc,,in the past,,,a Janitor (in ang mor lands) can afford house, car and bring up kids,,now that has changed,,because the owners of capital do not want to pay the rates...I am not talking about SMEs etc,,I am talking about the big guys,,,now the new poor are the gig economy workers plus those old tech companies. The govt needs to proper regulate these companies and their treatment of workers,,because the working class and the middle class underpin the economy, the society and the country as a whole. So u want to solve the working poor problem,,get rid of the greed in the big companies, ensure they pay their fair share of taxes, ensure the govt rule for the people,,,minimum wage etc is just a distraction.

And one other thing about the minimum wage..when the wage raises...workers fall into higher tax brackets, so effect is minimised, employers pay more and so prices of good rise, and many a time, the worker ends up working more to increase productivity to get the raise,,so therefore the matter needs to be looked at a whole,,and also another thing needs to be eliminated,,,Rent seeking behaviour by gahmens and the oligarchs,,,that is the real issue

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main issue is the rise in minimum wage does not solve the poverty problem. Poverty has increased because the working class face the triple whammy of 1. Inflation (increase demand for basic necessities, food, housing medical care) , 2 increase taxes (because they have less avenues to get tax deductions unlike the rich), 3. Increase competition for jobs. Due to open door immigration policies.

All this is due to policies favouring the rich and the rich want all these tax breaks and decrease labour regulation. That is why the working class is paying the price. And why is this happening?? Because the rich and oligarchs control the government. And that is the issue that needs to be addressed....U talk about Janitors etc,,in the past,,,a Janitor (in ang mor lands) can afford house, car and bring up kids,,now that has changed,,because the owners of capital do not want to pay the rates...I am not talking about SMEs etc,,I am talking about the big guys,,,now the new poor are the gig economy workers plus those old tech companies. The govt needs to proper regulate these companies and their treatment of workers,,because the working class and the middle class underpin the economy, the society and the country as a whole. So u want to solve the working poor problem,,get rid of the greed in the big companies, ensure they pay their fair share of taxes, ensure the govt rule for the people,,,minimum wage etc is just a distraction.

And one other thing about the minimum wage..when the wage raises...workers fall into higher tax brackets, so effect is minimised, employers pay more and so prices of good rise, and many a time, the worker ends up working more to increase productivity to get the raise,,so therefore the matter needs to be looked at a whole,,and also another thing needs to be eliminated,,,Rent seeking behaviour by gahmens and the oligarchs,,,that is the real issue

Brilliant sharing of why min wage is a stupid idea.

Most of the imbeciles here don’t pay income taxes.... only consumption tax. So to educate them on taxes is challenging.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
So do you think not having a minimum wage is pandering to the rich and greed or the lower income masses?

You could be right that minimum wage discussion is just a distraction. But I doubt this topic is brought up by the rich and greedy.

When I speak of minimum wage I am not referring to discussions like RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE. Which many videos talk about. Even the one you posted. It was about RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE. Not HAVING a minimum wage.

Now look at Singapore. There is absolutely no such thing as a minimum wage.

In other words legally someone could hire another person to work for $10 a month. No problem. Willing worker willing employer.

I think that is open to abuse man. You don't think so?

In Singapore, no minimum wage is clearly meant to allow companies to hire dirt cheap labor from overseas. How much do Banglas earn a month? Work that per hour.

It is obscenely low. Now don't tell me that talking about even having a minimum wage system that pays $5 an hour in Singapore is a distraction.

If it is a distraction then clearly you are one of those people who want to hire people for less than $5/hr in Singapore.
The market sets the wage,,,and wages has been going up,,accompanied by cost of living,,in the 80s singkieland has no minimum wage,,but wages were ok,,,ppl could put food on the table and have a roof over their head,,,now leh? most jobs now paying above the 1.3k advocated by WP,,,but what is the point when the oligarchs and pappie rent seeking behaviour continue like no tomorrow? raise it to 2k? all these will benefit the rent seekers even more...and u say ok have a minimum wage,,,fine,,set it at 500 bucks a month,,,that also minumum wage wat,,,that is what the pap and the oligarchs will want,,,that way they can justify they meet the minimum standard of things,,,they will say i pay more than the minimum wage,,,its 500,,,I pay 501,,and will talk like their 10 cents like the size of a bullock cart wheel,,,lets get real reforms for the working class,,,not these distractions that will make things worse for the working class

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The market sets the wage,,,and wages has been going up,,accompanied by cost of living,,in the 80s singkieland has no minimum wage,,but wages were ok,,,ppl could put food on the table and have a roof over their head,,,now leh? most jobs now paying above the 1.3k advocated by WP,,,but what is the point when the oligarchs and pappie rent seeking behaviour continue like no tomorrow? raise it to 2k? all these will benefit the rent seekers even more...and u say ok have a minimum wage,,,fine,,set it at 500 bucks a month,,,that also minumum wage wat,,,that is what the pap and the oligarchs will want,,,that way they can justify they meet the minimum standard of things,,,they will say i pay more than the minimum wage,,,its 500,,,I pay 501,,and will talk like their 10 cents like the size of a bullock cart wheel,,,lets get real reforms for the working class,,,not these distractions that will make things worse for the working class

Deleted

Last edited:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80s the wages of sinkies was not that much higher than other 3rd world ASEAN countries. Our cost of living was also lower. We did not have so many foreign workers.

Times have changed since the 80s.

Now there is an extensive foreign worker policy.

Sinkies are not competing in the Singapore market.

They are competing with workers on the streets of Bangladesh and India.

That's the market you speak of.
That is why REAL REFORMS are needed,,,not these band aid distractions,,

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Min wage will be one of the reforms.

At least min wage everyone can understand.

what other reform you talking about? I think that type of nebulous non specific talk like "reforms" are the REAL DISTRACTION.

A minimum wage will cut out a lot of these dirt cheap foreign labor coming to take away sinkie jobs. Even for the low end. Like you said janitor. What if only locals allowed to be janitor? Will the pay be higher? of course. Supply and demand. Someone got to do the work. Hungry enough they will work. And not so easy for companies to find bangla to do it for $2.70 an hour.

Anyway I am tired these days. Sometimes speak logically also no use. Everyone has their own views and agenda and they are always right.

So ok yeah forget about minimum wage. It doesn;t work. If they implement in Singapore all the companies will go bust and everyone in SG will be out of work. Go figure
That is because u think too highly of yourself,,,Dr Mangele

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slinkies are really stupid if they think minimum wage is going to save them.

Let’s say you currently earn $1,500 and the min wage increases to $1,600. You think your $100 is going to offset the increase in all around increases of every type of cost? You need to get a brain transplant if u think so.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Let’s say you currently earn $1,500 and the min wage increases to $1,600. You think your $100 is going to offset the increase in all around increases of every type of cost? You need to get a brain transplant if u think so.

Bangla would be very happy though. But more likely he will be out of a job so he will say please don't have minimum wage! Yes I agree. Minimum wage is bad.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

Like what Dr Mangale says. The minimum wage is part of the reforms...however the other reforms never happen because big businesses always get the corporate welfare. SmEs etc suffer more. Becuse they get squeezed by the oligarchs. And labour and both suffer together to the benefit of the oligarchs