• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It was Lim Yew Hock & not LKY who paved the way for S'pore's independence

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do believe the phosphates have been almost entirely depleted and X'mas Island is now a nature sanctuary. It is also regularly in the news because of refugees dying in its waters while trying to land on Australian soil.

"At Australia's request, the United Kingdom transferred sovereignty to Australia; in 1957, the Government of Australia paid the Government of Singapore £2.9 million in compensation, a figure based mainly on an estimated value of the phosphate forgone by Singapore"

How much would it cost to buy back Christmas Island?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do believe the phosphates have been almost entirely depleted and X'mas Island is now a nature sanctuary. It is also regularly in the news because of refugees dying in its waters while trying to land on Australian soil.

Sounds like the island in James Bond Dr No!! Ian Flemings must have been there when he wrote Dr No!!

Dinkum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lim Yew Hock didn't really die a pauper. The late Tunku took good care of him. He was very close to the old Boy.. And the Tunku was known to be benevolent to friends who were loyal to him..

The Tengku wasn't influential when Mahathir came to power and he was not able to assist Lim Yew Hock.

Lim had to sell his bungalow (demolished for development) situated at the junction of Lorong 33 and Sims Ave.

His children are now residing in HDB flats.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peesai never "owned Xmas Island." Read Htolas' thread for a historical account. It was administered via Singapore. Oz didn't buy Xmas Island from Singapore, it only compensated the estimated loss of revenue from phosphates mined. And as discussed further in this thread, at that time (and even now) Singapore was unable to defend that island from possible military raid. It is time people stopped blaming LYH for "selling" the island; in 1957, Singapore wasn't even independant yet. Xmas island was British territory.

Cheers!

Sold for miserable A$50K

WTF!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peesai never "owned Xmas Island." Read Htolas' thread for a historical account. It was administered via Singapore. Oz didn't buy Xmas Island from Singapore, it only compensated the estimated loss of revenue from phosphates mined. And as discussed further in this thread, at that time (and even now) Singapore was unable to defend that island from possible military raid. It is time people stopped blaming LYH for "selling" the island; in 1957, Singapore wasn't even independant yet. Xmas island was British territory.
Cheers!

Well, maybe u r rite. But since we were running it, we have first rights to it, so if we ask for it, I am sure it will come to us. Already the pictures shows like parts of Singapore. If the island was offered to us today, I am sure we will take it, no hesitation whatsoever. It extends our territorial rights, valuable sea,land and air for SAF to practise

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Enterprise: I pasted the following from wiki..

The island was administered jointly by the British Phosphate Commissioners and District Officers from the United Kingdom Colonial Office through the Straits Settlements, and later the Crown Colony of Singapore.

Singapore was then only a location for the administrative functions of running the phosphate operation. Workers from Singapore were indentured labour. Singapore does not have any legal rights to claim Christmas Islands. If the lion city wanted it, can fight UK or Oz for it.

Any land for Singapore will be wanted, for now, its either reclamation, or purchase property in Johore or Batam.

Cheers!

Well, maybe u r rite. But since we were running it, we have first rights to it, so if we ask for it, I am sure it will come to us. Already the pictures shows like parts of Singapore. If the island was offered to us today, I am sure we will take it, no hesitation whatsoever. It extends our territorial rights, valuable sea,land and air for SAF to practise

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xmas Island is now a pain in the aussies bum. All the boat people have to do is travel there and claim asylum as its oz territory. oz ppl are not the brightest anyway, and their asylum seeker policy is a damn fine mess. if oz never take over xmas island, there would not be an asylum problem as the boats have to travel far greater distances....

The island was administered jointly by the British Phosphate Commissioners and District Officers from the United Kingdom Colonial Office through the Straits Settlements, and later the Crown Colony of Singapore.

Singapore was then only a location for the administrative functions of running the phosphate operation. Workers from Singapore were indentured labour. Singapore does not have any legal rights to claim Christmas Islands. If the lion city wanted it, can fight UK or Oz for it.

Any land for Singapore will be wanted, for now, its either reclamation, or purchase property in Johore or Batam.

Cheers!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

Maybe this arguement is in the realm of 'what ifs'. But the fact remains, both UK or Aussie r not interested in Xmas island. The Aussie as someone here pointed out even use it as a staging point for the 'boat people'!! Land hungry Singapore is a different proposition. Heck! if we offer the island for sale to our local billionaires or property companies...they will be licking their lips!!! Also SAF needs it, our golf clubs needs it.....etc

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Malays & Chinese, living there came from SINgapore, though many, years back, were offered was it house grant to settle in Australia...some remained on the island. Interesting part is, many years back, one of my friend, working as airport police in Changi..occasionally was stationed at the airport at Christmas Island, Indian ocean.

so how long is the flight from singapore to xmas island?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The refugee issue is a different topic and wasn't an issue at that time. Singapore would not give face to asylum seekers and would not give a damn if they drowned at sea. I was told by an RSN person during the Vietnamese boat people time that RSN's naval vessels would force the boat people to turn back into the high seas after our sailors gave their packets of biscuits and instant noodles and a drum of fuel to the boat people.

Cheers!

Xmas Island is now a pain in the aussies bum. All the boat people have to do is travel there and claim asylum as its oz territory. oz ppl are not the brightes
t anyway, and their asylum seeker policy is a damn fine mess. if oz never take over xmas island, there would not be an asylum problem as the boats have to travel far greater distances....

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the sake of discussion, if things change and Singapore can have it, it will be nice and good and all those seafood lovers will dream up of businesses to exploit the land and sea. Singapore might face opposition from Indonesia.

Cheers!

Maybe this arguement is in the realm of 'what ifs'. But the fact remains, both UK or Aussie r not interested in Xmas island. The Aussie as someone here pointed out even use it as a staging point for the 'boat people'!! Land hungry Singapore is a different proposition. Heck! if we offer the island for sale to our local billionaires or property companies...they will be licking their lips!!! Also SAF needs it, our golf clubs needs it.....etc

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When Indonesia was given Independence, they sent troops to Irian Jaya (PaPua New Guinea) which was still under the Dutch, bec Irian Jaya was administered from Jakarta.

_545412_irian_jaya300.gif

The Dutch did not contest the claim.....

We should do the same with regards to Christmas Island.... Claim back all islands administered by Singapore during colonial rule....

This would also include the Cocos and Keeling Islands....