• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is working till old age a bad idea?

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But I believe in one thing - association and a bit of luck or lucky 天意, not lottery luck type though it would be nice.

I believe in fate like someone saw you and ask you to follow him, or are in trouble and you are somehow was there and help him out, and this can happen at any age but it would be nice if it happens when you are younger.

Then with a bit of shrewed, cunning, look and streetwise wisdom, you worked your way up or even married the boss daughter.

There is always a cross road that takes you from nothing to something and doesn't have to be in a rich place or in a slump area.

I think this is call 天意 or 人算不如天算。

Yes. Many years back, I blur blur followed the advice of someone to buy 50 lots of Keppel Corp at its infancy and it grew into a monster !!!:o

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
woking til o age is never a bad idea ... iz oni a bad idea if u wok til o age in sinkielan ...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
to be honest,like you said you never know and opportunity arises if you has no idea about business trend. I do missed a lot of business trends, saw it coming get into it but somehow lose it, just like that. Follow trend and see it is at the beginning but not the ending of the product life cycle. And don't trust women espically your wife.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If I'd known that shares in microsoft, google, facebook etc were going to make me millions, of course I would have invested. However, before it happened, I would have had no idea whether the company was going to boom or go belly up.

I expanded my business by growing my revenue and achieving a steady income stream. This added value to the business to the point where I could sell it to someone else at a good profit.

Marilyn

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are at our most productive from teenage to 40 (45?) years. It's a downhill spiral from there...body starts to wear and tear, eye-sight starts to fail, memory starts to fade...libido starts to wane....:wink:

Not everyone have the kind of access to life-enhancing elixirs that sustain the Old Fart...he must be seriously mind-fucked to even suggest that we can work beyond 60, let alone raising the retirement age to 70. SIAO!

Having said that, I have to say I'm open to working part time in a diminished role just to keep it going...not to say that I'm anywhere near that age yet...:p

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But I believe in one thing - association and a bit of luck or lucky 天意, not lottery luck type though it would be nice.

Well, we can't do much about luck or 天意 or God's will or Divine Providence or karma or nasib, can we?

But we can do a lot to level the playing field in other areas: food and shelter for every child, universal healthcare, compulsory free basic education, poverty alleviation for indigent families, breaking down class barriers, improve social mobility.

And the rest will be up to the individual: his innate talent, drive, personality, interests & passions, appetite for risk, living philosophy ... and luck.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Not really, i have a target to save as much as i can.

If your target is to save as much as you can, then that's what you'll achieve.

Have you thought about setting a target so that you achieve a net worth of $3 million before a certain age? If you do, you have a good chance of achieving that too if you set your mind to it.

If you don't set any targets, then your chances of achieving any are obviously zero.

As I have emphasised repeatedly over the years your future is almost always in your own hands. The same applies to everyone.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we can't do much about luck or 天意 or God's will or Divine Providence or karma or nasib, can we?

But we can do a lot to level the playing field in other areas: food and shelter for every child, universal healthcare, compulsory free basic education, poverty alleviation for indigent families, breaking down class barriers, improve social mobility.

And the rest will be up to the individual: his innate talent, drive, personality, interests & passions, appetite for risk, living philosophy ... and luck.

Yes true. Adding on to your post, i think opportunities for matured workers to return to workforce are important too.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
to be honest,like you said you never know and opportunity arises if you has no idea about business trend. I do missed a lot of business trends, saw it coming get into it but somehow lose it, just like that. Follow trend and see it is at the beginning but not the ending of the product life cycle. And don't trust women espically your wife.

In my case I had no idea about business trends either. I simply threw all my efforts into what I enjoyed doing very much. I figured that if I enjoyed doing it, then I'd be able to do it well.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
good on you, good advice as good as gold.

Confucius saying, again, if you love your work you had never work a day.

In my case I had no idea about business trends either. I simply threw all my efforts into what I enjoyed doing very much. I figured that if I enjoyed doing it, then I'd be able to do it well.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
We are at our most productive from teenage to 40 (45?) years. It's a downhill spiral from there...body starts to wear and tear, eye-sight starts to fail, memory starts to fade...libido starts to wane..

My best years were between 40 and 50.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
one more thing to add,

are you hungry?

In both. Food to put on the table and desire to get out of poverty line. Only then your drive, personality, interest, passionate and appetite for risk will come into place and you will never look back. Beg steal or borrow in any means to get it. Of course dont' go 害人方火

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
find time to fix bicycle seat lah! why let people make fun of you no end

Do you seriously think that what people say in this forum has any effect on me whatsoever? :rolleyes:
I've been on line since 1994 adopting various personas over the years. A missing bicycle seat is the least of my worries.:kma: